OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 11:11:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prison Ministry to Rastafarians  (Read 1459 times) Average Rating: 0
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« on: March 09, 2009, 11:52:01 PM »

I visit a Federal Correctional Facility here in Mississippi twice a month to meet with two groups of Rastafarian inmates that are incarcerated there. Most of them are very interested in learning more about the Ethiopian Orthodox Church. They have told me that they would really like to have a DVD and/or a CD of an EOTC Liturgical service. So, I am asking if anyone has any Videos/DVDs/CDs of the Divine Liturgy that they would be willing to donate to these inmates.

Also, I am open to any advice and suggestions regarding this ministry. Do my EOTC brothers have any ideas as to what teachings I should specifically emphasize? I am trying to avoid any conflict or arguments with these incarcerated brothers, and so far they have demonstrated a very loving and open heart to my visitations.

Generally, I have been sharing with them what I like about the Orthodox Tewahedo Faith and how I understand God and the Bible more clearly through Orthodox teaching. And of course, I remind them that His Majesty Emperor Haile Selassie I was a devout Orthodox Christian King who desired for all men to come to the Saviour.

I have a CD of EOTC Church music and also a CD of an interview with Abuna Yesehaq that I am going to take to the prison next week. But they would really like to have a DVD of the Liturgy to watch.

Thanks for any help you can give me. And please pray for these dear Rastafarian brothers.

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
Didymus
Peace and grace.
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HG Coptic Bishop Anba Daniel of Sydney

St. Thomas Didymus the Apostle of India

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 11:57:02 AM »

Peace be with you and welcome to the forums Cool

Would you be so kind as to clarify who you believe the Ethiopian Patriarch to be? (I ask this because Abouna Yesehaq changed positions on this issue and as such I would like to know how well aware you are of the issues surrounding this rather complex matter.)

May I please also ask whether you would care to share a little of your religious background?

It is wonderful that you wish to serve the prisoners for indeed you are serving Christ.

Pray for me please.

...because I was not with you when the Lord came aforetime.
...because I am blind and yet I see.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 07:47:34 PM »

Peace be with you and welcome to the forums Cool

Would you be so kind as to clarify who you believe the Ethiopian Patriarch to be? (I ask this because Abouna Yesehaq changed positions on this issue and as such I would like to know how well aware you are of the issues surrounding this rather complex matter.)

May I please also ask whether you would care to share a little of your religious background?

It is wonderful that you wish to serve the prisoners for indeed you are serving Christ.

Pray for me please.

I do not know too much about the controversies surrounding the Ethiopian Patriarch. While I am curious, I have thought it best to refrain from becoming too involved in these matters. I will pray for Abuna Paulos. And I will always love Abuna Yesehaq for bringing the Light of the Orthodox Tewahedo Faith to the West. I will probably always lean towards those who were affiliated with His Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie I, but I don't ever want to insinuate myself into ethnic disputes.

As regards to my religious background, my testimony of coversion to the Orthodox Faith is found here, about the 20th or 21st post down:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,19148.0.html

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 06:14:48 AM »

So, I am asking if anyone has any Videos/DVDs/CDs of the Divine Liturgy that they would be willing to donate to these inmates.

Here are a few minutes of the Ethiopian Liturgy held in Jamaica, on Bob Marley's birthday, with many Rastafarians attending (unfortunately, the quality of this video clip is rather poor and it's with a Polish lector):
http://rapidshare.com/files/156625448/EOTC.AVI.html

And here's an audio CD with the Etiopian Liturgy held in the City of Jerusalem:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000046PY7/

. . .CD of an interview with Abuna Yesehaq. . .

Can you share it with me (through RapidShare, etc.), please?

But they would really like to have a DVD of the Liturgy to watch.

The best thing to do, would be to rip Ethiopian Liturgy clips from YouTube and/or GoogleVideo, and make a nice compilation of them.

I will pray for Abuna Paulos.

But is your parish under the Patriarchate of Addis Ababa? (Just curious).
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 06:32:03 AM by Michał » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 01:58:23 PM »

So, I am asking if anyone has any Videos/DVDs/CDs of the Divine Liturgy that they would be willing to donate to these inmates.

Here are a few minutes of the Ethiopian Liturgy held in Jamaica, on Bob Marley's birthday, with many Rastafarians attending (unfortunately, the quality of this video clip is rather poor and it's with a Polish lector):
http://rapidshare.com/files/156625448/EOTC.AVI.html

And here's an audio CD with the Etiopian Liturgy held in the City of Jerusalem:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000046PY7/

. . .CD of an interview with Abuna Yesehaq. . .

Can you share it with me (through RapidShare, etc.), please?

But they would really like to have a DVD of the Liturgy to watch.

The best thing to do, would be to rip Ethiopian Liturgy clips from YouTube and/or GoogleVideo, and make a nice compilation of them.

I will pray for Abuna Paulos.

But is your parish under the Patriarchate of Addis Ababa? (Just curious).

Thank you very much.

Unfortunately, I do not have a way to copy things from the internet on to DVD or CD. But I can try to mail you a copy of Abuna Yesehaq's interview when I get some copies made. A lot of people have asked for this.

To my knowledge, our Church is under the Patriarchate of Abuna Paulos.

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
Tags: Rastafarian Rastafarianism Ethiopian Orthodox Church prison ministry 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: