OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 09:44:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Western Orthodoxy in New England  (Read 7876 times) Average Rating: 0
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« on: March 09, 2009, 08:32:41 PM »

Hence a new post has been done in an existing thread, something that brings attention has been noticed.

ROCOR doesn't list any in Rhode Island (I don't doubt that there is one there, just saying that they don't have it listed), but if you wanted to see where there other Churches are, you could look here: http://www.orthodox.net/directory/

I'm looking specifically for a Western Rite Orthodox church, Paradosis, one near enough for me to visit at least once and compare with the Byzantine Rite Orthodoxy to which I am so accustomed.  Nik said there was a Western Rite ROCOR parish in Rhode Island, so I've sent an email to the Hieromonk James at the email address which Nik furnished for further information.  The Antiochian Archdiocese does not have any Western Rite parishes in New England.  But thanks for the directory site.

Hypo-Ortho

Hypo-Ortho of blessed memory was an extraordinary contributor to OC.net, a gentleman of brilliant erudition, complete integrity and constant friendliness.

Since the time of his post, certain things have changed for the better in a situation of Western Orthodoxy in New England.

In October 2008, (2) Charismatic Episcopal parishes came home to Orthodoxy, and by doing so, they joined the family of Western Rite Antiochian communities in New England.
Emmanuel Orthodox Catholic Church - Warren, MA:
http://www.emmanuelorthodox.org/
St. Stephen's Orthodox Catholic Church - Springfield, MA:
http://www.ststephensorthodox.org/

In late 2007, Christminster, or Christ the Savior Monastery, a Benedictine Western Rite Orthodox monastery (ROCOR) relocated from Pawtucket, RI to Hamilton, Ontario, Canada:
http://www.christminster.org/

As a community of former parishioners of the aforementioned monastery, St. Cuthbert Orthodox Mission (ROCOR) now operates in Pawtucket, RI:
http://mail.white-rabbit.ca/churchsites/www.christminster.org/Saint%20Cuthbert%20Mission.pdf

« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 08:34:02 PM by Starlight » Logged
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 08:20:03 PM »

What a beautiful church . My first experience in the Orthodox church was at a Western rite church. Everything was so familiar to me that I could have sworn I was in a Roman Catholic church. I am so glad for the resurrection of the liturgy of St Gregory. It truly was a buried treasure. The Orthodox unburied it.

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 11:19:24 PM »

Thank you, Christus Dominus.

I am so glad for the resurrection of the liturgy of St Gregory. It truly was a buried treasure. The Orthodox unburied it.

Really so! Well said.
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 09:16:01 AM »

Hypo-Ortho of blessed memory was an extraordinary contributor to OC.net, a gentleman of brilliant erudition, complete integrity and constant friendliness.
This is slightly off topic, but who was he anyway? Why was he allowed to post as a guest, and not a member? Is he still around? What happened to him?
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 09:35:28 AM »

Hypo-Ortho wasn't a guest when he was with us.  But he passed away about 5 1/2 years ago, may he rest in Peace Sad 
That was when "guest" was put on his account as I recall.

He was courteous and interesting and I remember that he and I would post about books among other topics.

Ebor

« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 09:37:20 AM by Ebor » Logged

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 09:53:46 AM »

Hypo-Ortho wasn't a guest when he was with us.  But he passed away about 5 1/2 years ago, may he rest in Peace Sad 
That was when "guest" was put on his account as I recall.

He was courteous and interesting and I remember that he and I would post about books among other topics.

Ebor

Thanks. May he be in rest.
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 10:03:22 AM »

PoorFoolNicholas, thank you for your interest. Ebor, thank you for your input.

I have been reading this forum for awhile before I started to post. Hypo-Ortho was an excellent guy. Very nice and knowledgeable. May he rest in peace. Some more information about Hypo-Ortho may be found here:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,10301.0.html

Hypo-Ortho lived in the western part of Massachusetts. I believe this was his community: http://www.stspp.org/ - Saints Peter and Paul Orthodox Church in Springfield, MA (OCA). Hypo-Ortho wrote here that he really enjoyed his parish.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 10:04:52 AM by Starlight » Logged
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 01:05:48 AM »

What's up with all of the Western Rite churches having Byzantine Icons at the front?  That's not very "Western", now is it?

Rowan
Lurker, Writer, Science-lover, yada yada yada...

Faith: Episcopalian

-- Defying Gravity --

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 04:29:14 PM »

What's up with all of the Western Rite churches having Byzantine Icons at the front?  That's not very "Western", now is it?

A Catholic Church near my relatives has an eastern-style icon in it (Our Lady of Perpetual Help) and I've seen other traditional non-Orthodox western churches with byzantine-style mosaics and icons as well.  The western tradition at the grassroots seems to be willing to integrate, or there was a free-flow of sacred art styles b/w east and west.

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. ~Philippians 4:8; St Paul
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 04:34:09 PM »

Look at that VERY Western Latin Rite church of Poland: what is at its center?
\
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/30/Czestochowska.jpg

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 03:27:06 AM »

I think he was expecting to see this:

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 07:12:51 AM »

I've been wondering the same thing. My gut feeling says that they should be using more western-looking iconography. Not the realistic art one can see in RC churches such as this but perhaps more something like this and this.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 07:20:25 AM by Alpo » Logged

Rowan
Lurker, Writer, Science-lover, yada yada yada...

Faith: Episcopalian

-- Defying Gravity --

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 10:36:57 AM »

I think he was expecting to see this:

Holy Incarnation in Lincoln Park, MI almost looks like that (with its wood and statues), but that takes time and money. Baby steps!

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. ~Philippians 4:8; St Paul
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 03:51:33 PM »

Yes! lots of money. But I do hope in its their agenda.

Clancy Boy

Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 04:57:00 AM »

As an Irish-American Orthodox I need to know some things about this Western Rite. 

- My (Bulgarian) Orthodox friend tells me it isn't true Orthodoxy because it doesn't use the same liturgy and people don't stand up.

- Is it in communion with Byzantium?

- Is it in communion with (gasp) Rome?

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 05:16:50 AM »

1st Welcome to the forum!

- My (Bulgarian) Orthodox friend tells me it isn't true Orthodoxy because it doesn't use the same liturgy and people don't stand up.

It is true Orthodox Rite approved and used (or was used) by many autocephalous Churches (I know about Russian, Antiochian, Serbian, Romanian and Polish).

Is it in communion with Byzantium?

The Western Rite Parishes, which are under Churches of Serbia, Antioch an Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia are in communion with the rest of the mainstream Orthodox Churches. However there are some WR parishes which have "Orthodox" on their name but aren't ones. It have to be checked out what jurisdiction does the Parish you want to go belongs to.

- Is it in communion with (gasp) Rome?

No.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 05:17:47 AM by mike » Logged
Clancy Boy

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 05:22:46 AM »

1st Welcome to the forum!

It is true Orthodox Rite approved and used (or was used) by many autocephalous Churches (I know about Russian, Antiochian, Serbian, Romanian and Polish).

Is it in communion with Byzantium?

The Western Rite Parishes, which are under Churches of Serbia, Antioch an Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia are in communion with the rest of the mainstream Orthodox Churches. However there are some WR parishes which have "Orthodox" on their name but aren't ones. It have to be checked out what jurisdiction does the Parish you want to go belongs to.

Thanks Mike.  So if I was baptized in a Russian Orthodox church I could attend any one of these if I liked?

Also what relationship does the Western Rite have to the Anglican church?  I think I've heard WR brought up in that context.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 05:31:13 AM »

Thanks Mike.  So if I was baptized in a Russian Orthodox church I could attend any one of these if I liked?

Yes. In the USA majority of canonical WR Parishes is under Church of Antioch but there are a few Russian also. You can participate in services and in sacraments there.

Also what relationship does the Western Rite have to the Anglican church?  I think I've heard WR brought up in that context.

One of the Liturgy it is using is a modified Anglican Mass. Many of the WR Priests and believers are converts from Anglicanism.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 05:31:32 AM by mike » Logged
Clancy Boy

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 05:34:35 AM »

Yes. In the USA majority of canonical WR Parishes is under Church of Antioch but there are a few Russian also. You can participate in services and in sacraments there.

One of the Liturgy it is using is a modified Anglican Mass. Many of the WR Priests and believers are converts from Anglicanism.

It's ok to use a different mass?
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 05:46:08 AM »

As far as I know there are now 5 Eastern Rite DLs and 4 Western Rite DLs used by EO Church:

Eastern:
- DL of St. John the Goldenmouth (normal Liturgy, the one most frequently used)
- DL of St. Basil the Great (is different a bit from St. John's - has different consecration prayers and some other things; it's used in Sundays of Great Lent)
- DL of St. James the Just (is very different from the two above, it's used in Church of Jerusalem and on St. James Day in other Churches)
- DL of St. Mark (I don't know much 'bout it, it's used in Church of Alexandria and sometimes in ROCOR)
- DL of Presanctified Gifts (modified Vespers, Gifts, which was consecrated previously are given, used in the weekdays of Great lent, when normal DL cannot be served)

Western:
- DL of St. Tikhon of Moscow (modified Anglican Mass, used by Antiochian WR Parishes)
- DL of St. Gregory (modified Tridentine Mass)
- DL of St. Germanus of Paris (used by Romanian Parishes in France)
- Sarum Use (used sometimes by ROCOR)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 05:47:02 AM by mike » Logged
Clancy Boy

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2009, 05:49:20 AM »

Wow Mike you know everything!

Thanks a lot

Edit: One last question,

Is there such thing as a WR (Latin?) prayerbook and if so where can I find one?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 05:52:46 AM by Clancy Boy » Logged
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2009, 05:52:48 AM »

I'm afraid I don't, but thanks
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2009, 03:38:31 PM »

A Western Rite Missal in Latin? The Tridentine Mass is the mass of Pope St. Gregory. Might that missal work?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 03:43:44 PM by ChristusDominus » Logged

ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2009, 03:49:55 PM »

A Western Rite Missal in Latin? The Tridentine Mass is the mass of Pope St. Gregory. Might that missal work?
No.

There are some modification, lex orandi, lex credendi, to the Tridentine Missal for WRO.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2009, 03:59:35 PM »

No.

There are some modification, lex orandi, lex credendi, to the Tridentine Missal for WRO.
Byzantinations? I know what they are. It's like saying that the ancient Roman mass of the pre-schism west was always incomplete or lacking.

ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2009, 04:05:32 PM »

No.

Byzantinations? I know what they are. It's like saying that the ancient Roman mass of the pre-schism west was always incomplete or lacking.

Orthodox Rome did not believe in the system of merits of the saints, accretions of which are in the Tridentine Mass, removed by the WRO.  Additions that do not contradict Orthodoxy, like the Second Gospel and the Leonide prayers, are retained.

There was no need to insert the epiclesis of Constantinople in the ancient Roman liturgy, as its Orthodoxy was not in question, necessitating that shibboleth.

ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2009, 04:47:45 PM »

Orthodox Rome did not believe in the system of merits of the saints, accretions of which are in the Tridentine Mass, removed by the WRO.  Additions that do not contradict Orthodoxy, like the Second Gospel and the Leonide prayers, are retained.

There was no need to insert the epiclesis of Constantinople in the ancient Roman liturgy, as its Orthodoxy was not in question, necessitating that shibboleth.
Can you specifically list these accretions?

witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2009, 04:55:37 PM »

Can you specifically list these accretions?

15 seconds with a computer produced this information: Pope Pius V "made this revision of the Roman Missal, which included the introduction of the Prayers at the Foot of the Altar and the addition of all that in his Missal follows the Ite missa est, at the request that the Council of Trent (1545-1563)" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-Tridentine_Mass

There's a reason it's called the *Tridentine* Mass. Yes, it's based on the Mass of St. Gregory but you don't honestly think it remained unchanged for 1000 years do you?

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2009, 05:03:02 PM »

It's ok to use a different mass?

Of course it is! There were dozens of different liturgies present in the Church before the Chalcedonian Schism and still plenty of Western rite churches after that up until the East-West Schism. One could make the argument that these western rites are not being held to a high enough level of rigor in doctrine and liturgical form, but one simply cannot logically argue that one cannot in any way be Western rite and Orthodox.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2009, 05:05:06 PM »

No.

What makes you think that the Tridentine Mass and the Mass established by Gregory the Great are equivalent?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2009, 05:47:26 PM »

15 seconds with a computer produced this information: Pope Pius V "made this revision of the Roman Missal, which included the introduction of the Prayers at the Foot of the Altar and the addition of all that in his Missal follows the Ite missa est, at the request that the Council of Trent (1545-1563)" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-Tridentine_Mass

There's a reason it's called the *Tridentine* Mass. Yes, it's based on the Mass of St. Gregory but you don't honestly think it remained unchanged for 1000 years do you?
Wow! 15 seconds eh? Lightning quick.

What is the reason it's called the Tridentine Mass? That's not when it was formulated (Council of Trent). It has exisited for many centuries. Revisions, although slight, have been made. Has the Divine Liturgy remained unchanged?

ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2009, 05:55:50 PM »

What makes you think that the Tridentine Mass and the Mass established by Gregory the Great are equivalent?
I'll answer with another question; what makes you think they are not? I'd like your input.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2009, 06:28:07 PM »

I'll answer with another question; what makes you think they are not? I'd like your input.

I'm not confident that they're not. Just suspicious.

witega
OC.net guru

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2009, 10:00:44 PM »

What is the reason it's called the Tridentine Mass? That's not when it was formulated (Council of Trent). It has exisited for many centuries.

That is when it was standardized. St. Gregory's original Mass had quite a number of descendents over the centuries. The Council of Trent selected one, added some alterations of their own and made it the standard for the entirety of the Roman Church.

Revisions, although slight, have been made. Has the Divine Liturgy remained unchanged?

Definitely not. But that was never the question. The question was, is the Tridentine Mass exactly the same as the ancient Gregorian Mass (which would, of course, be recognized as fully Orthodox) or had it, like every other liturgy in existence, acquired changes/additions/subtractions over the centuries. Changes/additions/subtractions which the Orthodox Church might find questionable by our standards and require revision to be used in Orthodox service.

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2009, 12:19:52 AM »

That is when it was standardized. St. Gregory's original Mass had quite a number of descendents over the centuries. The Council of Trent selected one, added some alterations of their own and made it the standard for the entirety of the Roman Church.
Can you please show me proof of this? And which "Mass" did the Council select? (according to your theory)

« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 12:21:07 AM by ChristusDominus » Logged

ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2009, 12:29:05 AM »

Definitely not. But that was never the question. The question was, is the Tridentine Mass exactly the same as the ancient Gregorian Mass (which would, of course, be recognized as fully Orthodox) or had it, like every other liturgy in existence, acquired changes/additions/subtractions over the centuries. Changes/additions/subtractions which the Orthodox Church might find questionable by our standards and require revision to be used in Orthodox service.
Let me show you the real question:
author: deusveritasest on Yesterday at 05:05:06 PM

« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 12:29:38 AM by ChristusDominus » Logged

witega
OC.net guru

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2009, 01:08:51 AM »

Can you please show me proof of this? And which "Mass" did the Council select? (according to your theory)

Educating you in your own theological tradition is not a part of why I spend time on this forum. There are plenty of good scholarly history's of the Western liturgy if you actually want to see some of the differences--starting with the Catholic Encyclopedia which I believe is available online. The Roman liturgy has changed over the centuries (and that's without even considering the fact that we don't have documentation of St. Gregory's actual practice--it has to be inferred from surviving documents which generations removed from the saint), this is an indisputable fact. I leave to others with more interest the question of what is salvagable.

ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2009, 01:16:55 AM »

Educating you in your own theological tradition is not a part of why I spend time on this forum. There are plenty of good scholarly history's of the Western liturgy if you actually want to see some of the differences--starting with the Catholic Encyclopedia which I believe is available online. The Roman liturgy has changed over the centuries (and that's without even considering the fact that we don't have documentation of St. Gregory's actual practice--it has to be inferred from surviving documents which generations removed from the saint), this is an indisputable fact. I leave to others with more interest the question of what is salvagable.

YOU are educating me on my own traditions? Is that like a German teaching an Irishman  how to be a good Irishman? I actually feel that most people, like you, have to knock everything beautiful we have. I just don't understand it, but I see a few people here do it. Not all, just a handfull. You are included.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 01:24:11 AM by ChristusDominus » Logged

ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2009, 01:23:02 AM »

Let me show you something before go:

'Some Western rite Orthodox Christians, particularly in the Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America, use the Tridentine Mass in the vernacular with minor alterations under the title of the "Divine Liturgy of St. Gregory."

Also, most Old Catholics say the Tridentine Mass in either the vernacular or Latin.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tridentine_mass
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 01:33:55 AM by ChristusDominus » Logged

ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2009, 01:37:56 AM »

Believe me, I would never ask you to educate me on my own traditions, unless I wanted biased information.

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2009, 02:51:47 PM »

http://orthodoxie.free.fr/the_divine_liturgy_of_saint_germanus.htm
http://orthodoxanglican.net/downloads/tikhon.pdf
http://members.cox.net/stgregoryoc/liturgy.htm
http://www.orthodoxresurgence.com/petroc/english.htm

prayer book:
http://www.stmichaelwhittier.org/resources/osboff7.pdf
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 02:52:30 PM by mike » Logged
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2009, 03:27:42 PM »

St. Ambrose Prayerbook | More info on it...

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2009, 01:58:06 AM »

I agree.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 01:59:34 AM by ChristusDominus » Logged

Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2009, 03:43:18 AM »

- DL of St. James the Just (is very different from the two above, it's used in Church of Jerusalem and on St. James Day in other Churches)
- DL of St. Mark (I don't know much 'bout it, it's used in Church of Alexandria and sometimes in ROCOR)

These two Liturgies are indeed the original liturgical rites of the Churches of Jerusalem and Alexandria, but today these Churches use the DL of St John Chrysostom on a regular basis, as all the Eastern Orthodox Churches do.

DL of St. Germanus of Paris (used by Romanian Parishes in France)

AFAIK, these parishes are currently under the Serbs, not Romanians.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2009, 04:39:52 AM »

Orthodox prayers of Old England

Except for the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom and the Jesus Prayer, everything is from the old tradition of the Western church. There are no modern Roman Catholic items.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 04:40:37 AM by Alpo » Logged

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2009, 03:06:13 PM »

Romanian Parishes in France)

AFAIK, these parishes are currently under the Serbs, not Romanians.
[/quote]

Thanks. I always mess that.
Clancy Boy

« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2009, 09:48:07 PM »

Thanks Mike.

Nothing in Latin then? Sad
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2009, 09:12:30 AM »

I have no idea. Try asking Reader KevinAndrew as he is an Antiochian Western Rite Vicariate member.
fanlynne

Faith: Christianity
Jurisdiction: USA

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2011, 02:27:12 AM »

The Oratory of Our Lady of Glastonbury with a Benedictine monastery next door AND Orthodox too - I am smiling sooooo much. It is glorious news and I am glad Christminster will now have room to grow.

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2011, 09:17:43 PM »

The Oratory of Our Lady of Glastonbury with a Benedictine monastery next door AND Orthodox too - I am smiling sooooo much. It is glorious news and I am glad Christminster will now have room to grow.
"In Communion with the Orthodox Church" and "Orthodox" are two different things.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2011, 04:07:14 AM »

"In Communion with the Orthodox Church" and "Orthodox" are two different things.

What are you talking about?
Reader KevinAndrew

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Western Rite

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2011, 05:41:35 AM »

I have no idea. Try asking Reader KevinAndrew as he is an Antiochian Western Rite Vicariate member.

There are none that I know of. Definitely no AWRV-published materials in Latin. I know that they have a Latin mass from time to time at St. Mark's in Denver, but those materials are probably put together at the parish level. Fr. John at St. Mark's could confirm the materials he uses for that service.
Reader KevinAndrew

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2011, 05:46:52 AM »

Asking the Orthodox bishop who overees the diocese under which the OOLG operates would clarify that question, as it relates to that particular parish.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2011, 05:55:14 AM »

Asking the Orthodox bishop who overees the diocese under which the OOLG operates would clarify that question, as it relates to that particular parish.

Well, no. Christminster (as any other ROCOR WR structure) is a stavropegial institution ;P
Reader KevinAndrew

« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2011, 06:01:52 AM »

Well, no. Christminster (as any other ROCOR WR structure) is a stavropegial institution ;P
Do these folks have any oversight by a bishop?
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2011, 07:13:14 AM »

Yes, by Metropolitan Hilarion.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: