OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 08:07:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Liturgy withdrawal?  (Read 2259 times) Average Rating: 0
rwprof
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA now, Antiochian originally

« on: March 09, 2009, 04:30:22 PM »

So this always happens, but this is the first time I've asked anyone. Does anyone else go through liturgy withdrawal after Clean Week? Or should I seek psychiatric help?

Mark (rwprof) passed into eternal life on Jan 7, 2010.  May his memory be eternal!
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 04:35:48 PM »

Sounds like a purple demon attack.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 04:43:30 PM »

After the rigours of the first week, it is easy to be weighed (and weighted) by the fact of how much repentance we are called to do and so the easy solution is to just take a break.  I'd counsel against it, though I need a break too because I am a chanter and we are asked to do a lot during this season.  I pray for strength.  But the solution is not to simply withdraw.  That is what the evil one counsels.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 04:50:28 PM »

So this always happens, but this is the first time I've asked anyone. Does anyone else go through liturgy withdrawal after Clean Week? Or should I seek psychiatric help?

No psychiatric help needed.  Pace yourself, pray, and stay the course, and your strength will return to you.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 04:53:59 PM »

Eating High Energy Lenten foods and drinking lots of hot lemon tea helps the voice and soothes the insides....

Amen!
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 05:26:35 PM »

This was my first Clean Week, and it about killed me.  I'm backing off of a lot of this for now because I cannot yet receive the Lord's Body and Blood for strength.  It's just too intense all at once.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 08:22:49 PM »

This was my first Clean Week, and it about killed me.  I'm backing off of a lot of this for now because I cannot yet receive the Lord's Body and Blood for strength.  It's just too intense all at once.

Ease yourself into it.  Add a service every two weeks.  Make sure you have the strength for the Holy Week Marathon.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 11:53:28 AM »

Ease yourself into it.  Add a service every two weeks.  Make sure you have the strength for the Holy Week Marathon.
Good advice. Everything we do in Lent prepares us for Holy Week. In fact, if you can spare the time off work to go at least to Holy Friday, I highly recommend it. It's one of the most beautiful and meaningful services of the year--and that's saying a lot in Orthodoxy.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 03:07:08 PM »

Good advice. Everything we do in Lent prepares us for Holy Week. In fact, if you can spare the time off work to go at least to Holy Friday, I highly recommend it. It's one of the most beautiful and meaningful services of the year--and that's saying a lot in Orthodoxy.

The triple-play on Holy Friday (Royal Hours, Great Vespers, and Matins with the Lamentations) is just phenomenal.  It can be physically and emotionally draining, but well worth the time and effort.  And then, just when your energy is totally sapped... Meat! (Pascha)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 03:07:29 PM by cleveland » Logged

---------------------
monkvasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 03:10:55 PM »

Actually, the only time I get a withdrawal is after Pascha.  I miss all the lenten services and those of Holy & Great Week.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 03:31:01 PM »

I'm not sure what you're saying, but I think when you say 'withdrawl' you mean due to FEWER services after Clean Week.  For me, I find it a welcome relief.  It is overwhelming, I can use the break, I think the Church in her Wisdom structures the services this way "break us" the first week, and then help us settle in during weeks 2-4.  Week 5 intensifies again, and of course Holy Week is a marathon as previously mentioned.  Then we can "recover" during the Paschal season.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 04:25:26 PM »

The triple-play on Holy Friday (Royal Hours, Great Vespers, and Matins with the Lamentations) is just phenomenal.  It can be physically and emotionally draining, but well worth the time and effort.  And then, just when your energy is totally sapped... Meat! (Pascha)
Yes! And the best part is that for a week after Pascha, the Church not only allows meat, She actually forbids us from fasting. It means a lot theologically, but it is also a welcome rest from the hard work of Lent, and like a hot bath, it feels better the more you've worked.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 04:30:04 PM »

To really get the experience though, you need to have Holy Thursday and Saturday in there too.  The intensity really picks up on Holy Thursday for the Passion Gospels (I've been reading along with a bible for the first reading - three chapters of John are just too long to concentrate on) and then the quiet anticipation of Holy Sat before Pascha.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 04:31:52 PM »

Yes! And the best part is that for a week after Pascha, the Church not only allows meat, She actually forbids us from fasting. It means a lot theologically, but it is also a welcome rest from the hard work of Lent, and like a hot bath, it feels better the more you've worked.

That's a great analogy.

---------------------
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 04:33:13 PM »

To really get the experience though, you need to have Holy Thursday and Saturday in there too.  The intensity really picks up on Holy Thursday for the Passion Gospels (I've been reading along with a bible for the first reading - three chapters of John are just too long to concentrate on) and then the quiet anticipation of Holy Sat before Pascha.

Oh, I know what you mean.  Nearly every year I've seen one priest or another choke up during those gospel readings.

---------------------
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 04:56:04 PM »

^ The first Passion Gospel ought to be read in English due to its length.  Many a Priest struggle reading the Gospel in Greek.  I would imagine other languages are equally complicated (e.g. Arabic, Old Church Slavonic, et al).   Huh
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 05:10:14 PM »

^ The first Passion Gospel ought to be read in English due to its length.  Many a Priest struggle reading the Gospel in Greek.  I would imagine other languages are equally complicated (e.g. Arabic, Old Church Slavonic, et al).   Huh

Most priests I know read this gospel in their dominant language... What does this have to do with the OP or the need to persevere through Lent?

---------------------
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 07:48:42 PM »

^ The first Passion Gospel ought to be read in English due to its length.  Many a Priest struggle reading the Gospel in Greek.  I would imagine other languages are equally complicated (e.g. Arabic, Old Church Slavonic, et al).   Huh

Most priests I know read this gospel in their dominant language... What does this have to do with the OP or the need to persevere through Lent?

I was following up on your Reply #14.  I admit that my previous post on this thread was not on line with the OP and perhaps I thought what I said tied in with the rigor of Lent when it comes to pronouncing words in a non-English language during a 30 minute Gospel reading.   Huh
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 11:58:42 PM »

I was following up on your Reply #14.  I admit that my previous post on this thread was not on line with the OP and perhaps I thought what I said tied in with the rigor of Lent when it comes to pronouncing words in a non-English language during a 30 minute Gospel reading.   Huh

Oh, I meant "choke up" as in "get emotional," not "stumble on words."

---------------------
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2009, 12:05:15 AM »

Oh, I meant "choke up" as in "get emotional," not "stumble on words."

OK.  I recall seeing 10 different Priests read the Passion Gospels over the years and no one was emotionally affected by reading any of the Passion Gospels.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2009, 08:51:54 AM »

I'd be interested in seeing if I go through any withdrawals after I get out of school.  Here we have every service under the sun, all the way through bright week and beyond.  You're never short of liturgies and services are plentiful.  talk about burnout in the opposite way (from the OP)

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2009, 09:13:25 AM »

I'd be interested in seeing if I go through any withdrawals after I get out of school.  Here we have every service under the sun, all the way through bright week and beyond.  You're never short of liturgies and services are plentiful.  talk about burnout in the opposite way (from the OP)

I definitely had withdrawal when I left school.  In fact, the chapel was the last place I went as I left campus.  I still miss it to a certain degree.

---------------------
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: