OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 12:18:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Most Religions losing ground in USA....  (Read 1085 times) Average Rating: 0
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« on: March 09, 2009, 11:46:20 AM »

Article from USA Today.  Note that Jews and Muslims are undercounted while a lot of Catholics have relocated to warmer and better job-seeking climes.

ARIS Survey Results
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 12:14:21 PM »

I'm suprised to see the number listing no religion having gone up that much in so short a period of time.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 01:11:14 PM »

The further link to the 2008 Pew Religion results (which we've had linked here before, but not in a nice Flash-driven sortable list) I've included below.  Between the article and the Pew research, it could be a bleak picture, if I weren't such an optimist.

http://usatoday.com/news/graphics/2008_pew_religion/flash.htm

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 05:03:39 PM »

I'm sure that this was written independently of the study, but here's how an Evangelical sees the current trends:  http://www.csmonitor.com/2009/0310/p09s01-coop.html

Really interesting.  To be honest, I don't much care for Evangelicalism and I think that this is a good opportunity for us to show forth, charitably, of course, the fullness of the Truth. 

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 05:08:33 PM »

Who is that guy on a plus sign?

I think I read it in the USA Today article cited.  The rock music and Twitter sites aren't going to answer the question.   Roll Eyes

The following quote (from the above post's link) may be of good news to those in the forum who are Chairismatics....

Charismatic-Pentecostal Christianity will become the majority report in evangelicalism. Can this community withstand heresy, relativism, and confusion? To do so, it must make a priority of biblical authority, responsible leadership, and a reemergence of orthodoxy.
drewmeister2
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Hellenic Orthodox Traditionalist Church of America

Christmas at St Markella's Cathedral, Astoria, NY

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 05:34:39 PM »

This seems actually rather surprising to me, considering the economic problems our country is experiencing.  It seems that usually when there are times of crisis, people's religiosity rises. 

Orthodoxia i Thanatos

IC    XC      ...and in ONE HOLY CATHOLIC
    +                   and APOSTOLIC CHURCH...
NI    KA

www.hotca.org | www.YouTube.com/GreekOrthodoxTV
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 07:04:19 PM »

Some of the Christian megagroups in this country haven't done anyone any favors (sometimes being as intolerant as the Moslems are in their own countries).  After speaking with an Orthodox Priest who grew up in Alabama, and hearing his stories about how other Christians and non-Christians were treated by the Baptists there, I have little sympathy.  I find it inevitable in many parts of the Country that people will see open hypocrisy and move away from it (just like many saw the same thing in Jesus' time amongst the ultra-strict, and not very tolerant, Pharisees).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 07:29:14 PM »

The Internet now fulfills God's role in many activities.

The Internet helps one find a mate (or mates) - eHarmony
The Internet helps one find a job
The Internet helps one find a place to live.
The Internet helps raise money for causes celebres (Octomom, Homeless man in Houston, etc.)
The Internet fulfills cultural needs (music downloads, blogs, etc.)

With the Internet who needs God?  The Pagans were unsophisticated compared to today's Internet.  Will that be true 2,000 years from now?

Disclaimer, SolEX01 is a devout Orthodox Christian who knows that the Internet is not God.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 07:35:43 PM »

This seems actually rather surprising to me, considering the economic problems our country is experiencing.  It seems that usually when there are times of crisis, people's religiosity rises. 
Religiosity is the caricature of religion. We're better off without it.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: