OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 01:23:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Valaam Singers  (Read 1407 times) Average Rating: 0
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« on: October 14, 2003, 03:13:11 PM »

http://www.valaam.sarvdev.com/

Looks like the monks are visiting the US and singing in various places.  There are at least two or three "shows" that I might be able to attend, even one way up here in the Capital Region.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 14, 2003, 03:13:39 PM by Mor Ephrem » Logged

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2003, 04:34:48 PM »

From the site, it doesn't look like the actual monks, but a 'singing ensemble' - maybe doing the same music.  It's 5 men and a woman manager and all the men (or most) are neatly groomed.  To me, it looks rather doubtful that they're monks.  I was surprised that they were even performing at a...gasp..baptist church!
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2003, 05:08:25 PM »

Ah.  I presumed it was the monks.  That's disappointing.

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2003, 10:52:14 PM »

I wonder if this is the same group from Valaam Island in Russia that is scheduled to give a concert of sacred music at my church sometime in November.  My priest did say the group we were expecting were from the Valaam Monastery and that they had already arrived in the USA.

Hypo
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2003, 03:03:31 PM »

This group I think tours pretty frequently, because I've heard of them before.  As for them not being monks... it's actually very common for the bigger monastaries, such as Troitsa Sergiva Lavra, Danilov Monostir, and several others to actually have professional (meaning paid) singers.  It's also very common in churches in Russia to do the same, especially big cathedrals.  These people are usually very religious, and though not clergy or monastics, they still devote a great deal of time, if not their entire lives to work for the church through music.

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
nicodemus

OC.net

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2003, 08:50:47 PM »

There is a Valaam Singing Institute that has released several CDs on Russian CD and other labels that are "chant friendly."  I believe it is a fairly similar circumstance to what Ania described.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: