OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 10:19:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coptic Orthodox Church established in Mexico  (Read 1240 times) Average Rating: 0
Mexican
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

« on: October 13, 2003, 10:35:47 PM »

Coptic Church established in Mexico

One and half years ago, Pope Shenouda had sent Hegumen Mikhail Edward of Cleveland to study the feasibility of installing a Coptic church in Mexico and Father Agapius Anba-Paula was chosen to minister it.

Indeed, the construction of the church began, yet sending a priest took some time because of prolonged administrative procedures including granting official approval of the Coptic church.

Fr. Mikhail Edward kept ministering there through various visits when he celebrated liturgies, held meetings, and fulfils the ministry needs of the Coptic community there, including marriages and baptisms and receiving native Mexican converts to Orthodoxy.

Following the submission by Fr. Mikhail of an official request for recognition of the Coptic Orthodox Church as a denomination in Mexico, a decree number SGAR/2588/2003 was issued from the Mexican Ministry of Interior according official recognition of the Coptic Orthodox Church in Mexico. This letter was received from Dr. Javier Moctozuma Barragain the Deputy Minister of Interior for Religious Affairs and Dr. Alvaro Castro Estrada the General Director of Religious Affairs in the Mexican Ministry of Interior on 10 June 2003 and provides the right to build Coptic churches all over Mexico.

Construction of the church is already in progress: the ceiling of the first floor has been erected. This ceiling is the floor of the upper church. In the first floor lays the hall, offices, general clinic, dentist clinic, pediatric clinic and a pharmacy. The second floor is the church having a Coptic dome above the altar and a bell tower. Three buildings are affiliated to the church, those being a nursery and a primary school (6 years). The upper floor is a residence for the priest-monk, the Pope and guests. Each building has a possibility of adding two other floors in the future.

http://www.uk-christian.net/boc/108c.shtml

*** (God I hope this doesn't cause more confussion!)

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2003, 10:46:58 PM »

Well I am very happy for this because the Copts are very missionary minded and traditional Orthodox Christians.  Their example of faith is astounding.  Praise the Lord!  I would imagine they have many diaspora members in Mexico as other "Arab" groups do. (Arab in quotation marks since many Copts do not consider themselves Arab, and rightly so).

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2003, 08:59:51 AM »

*** (God I hope this doesn't cause more confussion!)

What do you mean by that Snoopy?

I would like to join Anastasios in praising God for this blessed event.

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
Mexican
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2003, 06:31:22 PM »

Hi Antonious!

I didn't mean to say it was bad. Of course it's great that an ancient Church is new in the country and will share the faith of the apostles with so many people.

Unfortunately, in the country some vagante groups calling themselves "orthodox" have been operating and causing enormous confussion among the faithful. Some are offering Oriental Rites, for example.

Confussion also exits among Eastern Orthodox jurisdictions themselves. In the case of the Coptic Church, I suppose they'll clarify that they're Coptic Christians, and there won't be any problem.
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2003, 09:43:36 AM »

Cool! Smiley

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
Tags: Coptic Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: