OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 07:48:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Islam Critical movies - which are best?  (Read 1631 times) Average Rating: 0
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: March 05, 2009, 06:47:39 PM »

I have added both:
1) Islam:  What the West Needs to Know and...
2) Obsession:  Radical Islam's War against the West

to my NetFlix queue.  Anyone seen either?  I suspect 1) could be better, but it would be nice to have an opinion and be able to eliminate one of the two.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 12:21:25 AM »

Islam is a nebulous and broad term.  Essentially what you are doing is watching a film about the Christian problem of FLDS polygamists and snake handlers and expecting to to understand the Orthodox view of the Ecumenical Councils from said film. 

I'm not so big into films, but as far as books go, a good primer on the creation of the modern political situation of much of the Near East:
A Peace to End All Peace: The Fall of the Ottoman Empire and the Creation of the Modern Middle East  by David Fromkin
One very interesting and timely point Fromkin makes is that the British never quite understood how decentralised Islam is and thought that by manipulating a Caliphate they could placate their Indian Muslim subjects. 

A good look at the creation of modern Jihad groups is Steve Coll's Ghost Wars.  While is it sort of a side issue to the main focus, the Arab volunteers in the Afghan Jihad were misfits before they left to go fit and by the time they returned they were causing all sorts of trouble.  Coll has another good book about the bin Laden family and the creation of Saudi Arabia. 

If you are looking more specifically about terrorist type Islam, books dealing with the Wahhabists would be best.  The Deobandi movement is the equivalent in South Asia.  Contemporaneous but completely different as far as ideology goes was Jadidism among Turkic Muslims. 

The point Coll makes about the Wahhabis in Saudi Arabia is the social contract of the kingdom is that the radicals can export it all they want so long as they don't cause domestic trouble.  That's basically the root of your modern Sunni extremism. 

The issue I take with a lot of the Western produced exposes on Islam is that they focus on this core group of Arab jihadists with the assumption that they are representative of everyone fighting under the banner of Islam.  While I'd agree that Islam has played some ideological role in nearly every conflict (but perhaps not more so than Christianity does in the US in some cases) involving Muslims, to see them linked as a grand, organized, monolithic struggle against the kaffir just doesn't add up to me.     

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 12:42:21 AM »

I have watched part of the first....not bad....do you pay for Netflix...because its free on Google Video....

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 01:22:52 AM »

I have watched part of the first....not bad....do you pay for Netflix...because its free on Google Video....

Do you mean this movie in particular or "movies" in general?  I'm willing to pay $9.96 (or whatever it is I pay - less than $10 / month) to have a disc to watch on a larger screen.

And btw, I added the first partially due to Trifkovic being featured.  I've read both Sword of the Prophet and Defeating Jihad (own this).
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 01:24:43 AM by Elisha » Logged
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 02:07:32 AM »

Do you mean this movie in particular or "movies" in general?  I'm willing to pay $9.96 (or whatever it is I pay - less than $10 / month) to have a disc to watch on a larger screen.

And btw, I added the first partially due to Trifkovic being featured.  I've read both Sword of the Prophet and Defeating Jihad (own this).

This movie in particular...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-871902797772997781

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 04:30:59 AM »

Ukie,

Just watched it.  Pretty much was just a "video" or more like a running interview with the same info as Trifkovic's books.  I watched the first few minutes of Obsession, but I think it partially misses the point.  At least I can cross them off my queue now.  Thanks.
Tags: Islam movies 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: