OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 07:29:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How would you design an Orthodox Study Bible  (Read 3164 times) Average Rating: 0
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« on: October 13, 2003, 09:58:19 PM »

Let's daydream for a moment... assume that copyright doesn't enter into the equation, you can use whatever you want.  How would you assemble you "dream study Bible"?

I would have:

Text:
OSB Old Testament (Not out yet, but the translation looks good, Conciliar Press)
The Psalter According to the Seventy (Holy Transfiguration)
Orthodox New Testament (Dormition Skete)

Commentary:
Abbreviated versions of
Matthew, Mark, Luke, John - Blessed Theophylact(Chrysostom Press)
Epistle to the Hebrews -Abp DMITRI (SVS Press)
Epistles to the Romans, Phillipians, Colossians, Epistle to Philemon - Lawrence Farley(author, Romans - A Gospel for All, The Prison Epistles,  Conciliar Press)
Psalter - Fr. Patrick Henry Reardon (author, Christ in the Psalms, Concilliar Press)
Isaiah - Johanna Manley, ed. (author, Isaiah through the Ages, dist by SVS Press)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2003, 10:01:09 PM by David » Logged

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2003, 10:00:26 PM »

Also, other nonspecified commentary taken from The Bible and the Fathers for Orthodox Christians, Johanna Manley (distributed by SVS press)

-Yazid Ibrahim
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2003, 11:28:27 PM »

Well, my study Bible would have an OT that is translated directly from the Septuagint (I guess that is what the OSB has done) and would feature commentary from the Fathers of the Church. It would be extensively cross referenced and feature maps of the Holy Land (St. Paul's journeys, etc.) in the back.

And my study Bible would have heavy paper and wide margins for note-taking and highlighting.

It would also have some nice icons inside and a St. Olga's Cross embossed on the the sturdy, black leather cover.

. . . And I am guessing it would weigh about 30 pounds!  Grin
« Last Edit: November 01, 2003, 11:30:42 PM by Linus7 » Logged

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2003, 11:46:13 PM »

Linus,

Now you got me on the black leather cover kick, just picked up a RSV Catholic edition.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2003, 03:04:52 PM »

Linus, which one is St. Olga's cross?  I probably know it under a different name.

-Yazid Ibrahim
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 12:30:58 AM »

I would like to have a more exhaustive index and more study notes on doctrinal issues like predestination, supported with lengthier quotes from the Fathers.

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 12:55:33 AM »

I would like to have a more exhaustive index and more study notes on doctrinal issues like predestination, supported with lengthier quotes from the Fathers.

The thread was dormant for nearly 6 years.  Why not start another thread?   Huh
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 02:32:04 AM »

With all the content on this board, it is impossible for me to view it all. Sometimes, when I am caught up on repsonding to the many various discussions in which I am involved, I take time to peruse other topics. If I see something of interest and have a comment to make, then I do so. It seemed silly for me to generate a whole new thread just to make the simple comments I made here.

I confess that I don't really get the consternation over "resurrecting old threads." If two or three years from now someone repsonds to a thread I started, I won't mind. I mean, of course I understand the absurdity of responding to a thread that is currently irrelevant, such as "Who Will You Vote For In 2008?" But what's wrong with me responding to this topic?

Enlighten me if I am violating some code of etiquette. I don't mean to cause offense.

Selam 

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 02:33:23 AM »

You may wish to go to the "goarch.org" web site, to access the Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology's bookstore.  (Maybe the "Orthodox Bookstore" at "goarch" has it too.)  Fr. Theodore Stylianopoulos, retired long time Professor of New Testament at Holy Cross, had published a bible study guide book series.  I do not recall the name of it.

(I agree with Reply #7 too.  Why not use existing data if it's pertinent to the current matter?  I would ask, why start another thread?)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 02:37:14 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 11:40:56 AM »

With all the content on this board, it is impossible for me to view it all. Sometimes, when I am caught up on repsonding to the many various discussions in which I am involved, I take time to peruse other topics. If I see something of interest and have a comment to make, then I do so. It seemed silly for me to generate a whole new thread just to make the simple comments I made here.

I confess that I don't really get the consternation over "resurrecting old threads." If two or three years from now someone repsonds to a thread I started, I won't mind. I mean, of course I understand the absurdity of responding to a thread that is currently irrelevant, such as "Who Will You Vote For In 2008?" But what's wrong with me responding to this topic?

The entire Orthodox Study Bible (Old and New Testaments) was not published until 2008.  There are competing Orthodox Study Bible Projects (I believe there are at least 3) and the current Orthodox Study Bible is being critiqued.  When this thread was created, only the NT Orthodox Study Bible was in circulation.

Enlighten me if I am violating some code of etiquette. I don't mean to cause offense.

I think responding to long dormant threads is one of those unwritten rules of forum posting.  I sometimes look for Prayer requests that have 0 replies but not recently.   angel
Orthodox Swamp Thing

Jurisdiction: OCA - San Francisco & The West

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 06:33:26 PM »

Are they going to make an Orthodox MP3 bible??
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 10:53:40 AM »

My ideal Orthodox study Bible would have, of course, a good English translation of an officially agreed-upon text, like the (Ecumenical) Patriarchal Text (possibly including variants from the official texts of other patriarchates. There would be, below that, commentary from the Fathers. And below that, commentary on the Fathers' commentary from eminent theologians. The whole text would be issued with the blessing of all the American ruling hierarchs. And we would all live happily ever after, provided no gross defects were found in that text, like Jesus talking to the slop.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 10:59:10 AM »

I would have:
Text:
OSB Old Testament (Not out yet, but the translation looks good, Conciliar Press)

Please no!

Please, please no!

Please, please, please no!

Ok, I admit that I'm protesting a bit much. Smiley

As for how I'd design an Orthodox study Bible, it'd look similar to how the Thompson Chain-Reference Bibles are, though obviously with an Orthodox view in place of the Protestant one. No commentary from the Church Fathers (except in the introduction) or one-liner notes explaining the text.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 10:59:40 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 09:00:37 PM »

I don't like the idea of a "Study Bible" at all.  I would simply like a Bible that contains all of the books of the Orthodox Canon that was translated by people who actually believed what they were translating and put it into a modern, yet reverent, English.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Nazarene
High Elder

Faith: Judaism
Jurisdiction: Messianic

David ben Yessai

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 03:26:51 PM »

Let's daydream for a moment... assume that copyright doesn't enter into the equation, you can use whatever you want.  How would you assemble you "dream study Bible"?

If I had to design a study Bible for Orthodox Christians I would compile a Byzantine Christian "Mikraot Gedolot" (text, translation & classical commentaries). This is what a Mikraot Gedolot looks like btw: http://www.jewishpub.org/pdf/pg%203%20from%20comm%20bible.pdf

I would have:

Text:

Text:

The official texts (Septuagint & Byzantine NT) in Greek with a new English translation or the EOB translation on facing pages (requires the work to be published in several volumes). Variant readings from the Masoretic Text, Vulgate, Targums, Peshitta, Samaritan Pentateuch & Qumran Texts documented in the side notes.

Commentary:
Abbreviated versions of
Matthew, Mark, Luke, John - Blessed Theophylact(Chrysostom Press)
Epistle to the Hebrews -Abp DMITRI (SVS Press)
Epistles to the Romans, Phillipians, Colossians, Epistle to Philemon - Lawrence Farley(author, Romans - A Gospel for All, The Prison Epistles,  Conciliar Press)
Psalter - Fr. Patrick Henry Reardon (author, Christ in the Psalms, Concilliar Press)
Isaiah - Johanna Manley, ed. (author, Isaiah through the Ages, dist by SVS Press)
[/quote]

Commentaries from the Fathers (newly translated) or the Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture series with additional explanations from modern Orthodox Theologians.

And of course:

Maps
Charts
Concordance
Dictionary/Lexicon for Greek words
Lectionary
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 03:29:13 PM by Nazarene » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: