OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 02:46:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Church returned to the Orthodox  (Read 1043 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: March 01, 2009, 09:25:17 AM »

Italy is returning ownership to Russia of an Orthodox church named after St. Nicholas in a goodwill gesture toward Moscow and the Orthodox faithful.

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev traveled to the southern Italian city of Bari for the hand-over ceremony later Sunday, which aims to boost ties between the two countries as well as improve often tense Roman Catholic-Russian Orthodox relations.

Russia built the church in the early 20th century to welcome its pilgrims who traveled to Bari to pray near the relics of Nicholas of Myra, a fourth-century saint associated with Christmas and much revered by Russian Orthodox faithful.

His remains are kept in the crypt of the nearby Catholic Basilica of St. Nicholas, where Orthodox rites also are celebrated.

The Russian church became the property of the city of Bari in 1937 as the number of Russian Orthodox pilgrims dwindled following the Bolshevik revolution. Its surrounding complex was used to house Russian emigres and some city offices.
"With this act, another wall falls," said the Rev. Vladimir Kuciumov, the church's rector. "Years ago we had the Berlin Wall, now we witness the fall of a wall that divided Catholics and Orthodox, Italians and Russians."

The restitution is expected to boost tourism to Bari from Russians, who lately have flocked to Adriatic beach resorts further north on Italy's east coast. It will also consolidate Bari's traditional image of a bridge between East and West.

"We will become the key place for the construction of political, economic, cultural and religious ties between Italy (and Russia)" mayor Michele Emiliano predicted.

source
Innocent
No longer posting on this site
Elder

St. Innocent of Alaska

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 09:32:38 AM »

How awesome is that!
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 11:55:16 AM »

It's a good step.  Now, if only they'd give a sizable piece of the relics (or all) to the Church, too.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
ROCORthodox
Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 07:54:20 AM »

Why 'symbolically' hand over the keys to the church to the Federation president instead of the head of the Russian Patriarch Kirill? I thought the church in Russia is now free!
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 06:02:36 PM »

Why 'symbolically' hand over the keys to the church to the Federation president instead of the head of the Russian Patriarch Kirill? I thought the church in Russia is now free!

Symbolically?  I believe the Russian state has taken over ownership of the land/parish.

Russia and Italy have signed a document restoring Russian ownership of the St. Nicolas Orthodox church in the southern Italian city of Bari, a Kremlin spokesman said Thursday.

The handover of the church complex was agreed during the then Russian President Vladimir Putin's visit to Russia in March 2007. On April 17, the city council of Bari unanimously voted to hand the 100-year-old church to the Italian government so it could subsequently become Russian property

Source

« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 06:06:07 PM by Nebelpfade » Logged

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
ROCORthodox
Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 08:51:05 AM »

I have read reports about the "symbolic" gesture of the handing over of the keys.  I thought to myself what the symbolism might be of handing over the keys to the church to the president instead of the Patriarch.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: