Author Topic: Server Reprovision Friday 09/25/15  (Read 3552 times)

Offline TheTrisagion

• Humble Servant and Spokesperson of the Fourteenth Apostle
  • Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Re: Server Reprovision Friday 09/25/15
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2015, 04:19:09 PM »
Most Blessed Anastasios our father and master,

Please put the "Rules" back in the menu bar at the top.  :)

The unworthy Mor Ephrem, humble supplicant before God.
+1

Even the link to the rules doesn't work

Dear Anastasios,

I understand you are very busy.  But if we have to explain the rules to the posters, we NEED them back online.  Thank you.

Mina

In keeping with the traditions of Orthodoxy, I know change does not happen quickly.  But I was hoping we would go back to the Old Traditionalism of posting our forum rules?
As a stop gap, perhaps they could be posted as a sticky in Board News or some such place.
Quote from: King Olav Tryggvasson
I order you and all your subjects to be baptized. If you refuse, I'll have you killed on the spot and I swear I will ravage every island with fire and steel.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
  • This dog's body intentionally left blank
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2015, 05:43:05 PM »
Can someone please upgrade the forum software so that users (or at least mods) may delete posts without the site crashing?

No.
This is a great day for this forum and for the internet. Mor's energies like a burning comet are raining possibilities for enlightenment upon us all.

Everyone wants Mor.

Mor, you're a jackass.

Offline TheMathematician

• OC.net guru
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2015, 09:52:23 PM »
Can someone please upgrade the forum software so that users (or at least mods) may delete posts without the site crashing?

No.

I like the no deleting policy. Makes things more transparent and makes both posters and mods accountable for actions posted and taken.

I just wish warnings were still embedded into posts across the board.

Offline Amatorus

• OC.net guru
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2015, 01:36:30 PM »

No.

Why?

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2015, 02:13:05 PM »
I just wish warnings were still embedded into posts across the board.

I go back and forth on that.  It was a more transparent way of addressing violations, but there are people who like to quote those warnings against others and create problems.  When the new warning system--which does not allow embedding--came along, I thought their absence would prevent people from misusing the warnings while informing violators of the reasons for their penalty and saving moderators a little extra work.  Instead, I had at least one person accuse me of abusing my moderator privileges by not publishing the warnings for all to see (even after explaining how embedding was no longer possible) so that no one could hold me accountable.  As it turned out, the very next warning I had to impose was on one of those people, so I did it in the form of a separate but public post in response to the offending post, and I have done this ever since.  I think all moderators have come to adopt a more or less similar approach.     
This is a great day for this forum and for the internet. Mor's energies like a burning comet are raining possibilities for enlightenment upon us all.

Everyone wants Mor.

Mor, you're a jackass.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2015, 02:23:45 PM »

No.

Why?

Users should be mature enough to post only what they want to post and to stand by it.  If they want to issue an apology or a retraction, they can do it without deleting the previous post.  We already have unstable people who post stuff and then abuse the edit function to delete it entirely even after people have read it and some damage has been done.  To give those people carte blanche to delete whatever they want whenever they want for whatever reason will just enable those people to be even more irresponsible. 

Everyone wants Mor.

Mor, you're a jackass.

Offline Amatorus

• OC.net guru
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2015, 02:26:57 PM »

No.

Why?

Users should be mature enough to post only what they want to post and to stand by it.  If they want to issue an apology or a retraction, they can do it without deleting the previous post.  We already have unstable people who post stuff and then abuse the edit function to delete it entirely even after people have read it and some damage has been done.  To give those people carte blanche to delete whatever they want whenever they want for whatever reason will just enable those people to be even more irresponsible.

Most forums already have edit and delete functions of some sort. I would expect a Christian to be more forgiving of transgressions than secular ones.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2015, 02:36:25 PM »

No.

Why?

Most forums already have edit and delete functions of some sort. I would expect a Christian to be more forgiving of transgressions than secular ones.

Well, if you're going to pull the Christian card, I suppose I could expect Christians not to spend so much time online posting on discussion boards and watching bizarre cartoons and spend more time serving their local communities, feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, visiting the sick and imprisoned, and in general living according to the gospel. 

Obviously neither of us considers discussion boards absolutely incompatible with Christianity, so let's drop that. 

We can be forgiving of transgressions without giving people the right to expect that they can commit them anywhere anytime with no consequences.  As I said above, besides the limited window for editing, there are already ways to apologise or issue retractions without deleting.  Those ways require a little more humility than is required to click "delete".  That's also Christian. 

Everyone wants Mor.

Mor, you're a jackass.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2015, 04:06:56 PM »

No.

Why?

From what I see from certain posters still recently, you have a 15 minute grace period to edit what you post.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 04:07:22 PM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Protokentarchos
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2015, 04:33:09 PM »

No.

Why?

From what I see from certain posters still recently, you have a 15 minute grace period to edit what you post.

OC.net's Grace: not quite as good as the Lord's, but better than nothing.  ;)
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Amatorus

• OC.net guru
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2015, 07:57:51 PM »

No.

Why?

Well, if you're going to pull the Christian card, I suppose I could expect Christians not to spend so much time online posting on discussion boards and watching bizarre cartoons and spend more time serving their local communities, feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, visiting the sick and imprisoned, and in general living according to the gospel. 

Obviously neither of us considers discussion boards absolutely incompatible with Christianity, so let's drop that. 

We can be forgiving of transgressions without giving people the right to expect that they can commit them anywhere anytime with no consequences.  As I said above, besides the limited window for editing, there are already ways to apologise or issue retractions without deleting.  Those ways require a little more humility than is required to click "delete".  That's also Christian.

I don't know why (mostly) you find my existence to be irritating, but please don't resort to personal attacks. All I'm saying is that if you really assume an edit/delete function is that likely to be abused, this forum doesn't have much purpose.

There should be at least some kind of system where you get a limited number of deletes, and any further you would have to speak to or at least request a mod for why you did or want to delete the post. I think that would be a fair compromise, wouldn't it? As a matter of fact, I think that system already exists on some sites.

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2015, 11:24:16 PM »
This system has had a history of database errors whenever the delete function has been used by users or mods either at OC.net or at E Cafe. Anastasios is fully aware of this problem. Mods at these two boards can edit or move posts and threads into "purgatorio" or the mod archives, but they avoid  the delete function.
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2015, 11:33:21 PM »
The software that runs the site is what it is.

Suggesting different software for a site you don't own/pay for is just one of those 'wasting breath' efforts.

Whether other sites have such things, not going to change this on this site.

Arguing about what imaginary features you could get.

Be thankful the site is here, and still free.
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2015, 01:11:32 AM »

No.

Why?

I don't know why (mostly) you find my existence to be irritating, but please don't resort to personal attacks.

I'm sorry that having an opinion that you don't share = personal attack.

All I'm saying is that if you really assume an edit/delete function is that likely to be abused, this forum doesn't have much purpose.

I don't need to assume, I can provide at least two dozen examples. 

There should be at least some kind of system where you get a limited number of deletes, and any further you would have to speak to or at least request a mod for why you did or want to delete the post. I think that would be a fair compromise, wouldn't it?

Why can't adults act like adults?  I think that's the fairest compromise. 

As a matter of fact, I think that system already exists on some sites.

Good for them. 

Everyone wants Mor.

Mor, you're a jackass.

Offline wgw

• Protokentarchos
  • The above Syriac icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Syriac Orthodox Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2015, 04:12:28 AM »
Note that changing the forum software would either require some serious SQL hacking or a loss of older posts; such migrations are possible but they are a major pain, and the site just upgraded anyway.  The current warning system is highly desirable IMO, as on many forums you just have to ban users or delete posts, whereas this system allows a more nuanced approach.  That said, the fact it is so unstable that deleting posts causes database errors is a very good argument for a nightly database dump.

Online Gamliel

• Protokentarchos
  • "Truth is born as lightning strikes -- Archilochos
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2015, 11:48:02 AM »
I hope to get our spell check back.

Offline andrewlya

• OC.net guru
  • God is One & Jesus is the Messiah.
  • Jurisdiction: Pro-Conservatism. Anti-liberalism.
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2015, 05:44:52 PM »
I am not getting notifications any more when a reply is posted on a thread on which I have posted.
Im still not getting notifications to my posts...is it ever going to be resolved?
I believe in one God the Father and His Son the Messiah, the Savior of all people.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2015, 06:03:54 PM »
I have noticed that down times are once again troubling this board.
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2015, 06:06:42 PM »
May the 'cool down' times continue

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2015, 06:07:36 PM »
May the 'cool down' times continue

AMEN.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2015, 06:10:22 PM »
I have noticed that down times are once again troubling this board.
I have not experienced that.
I order you and all your subjects to be baptized. If you refuse, I'll have you killed on the spot and I swear I will ravage every island with fire and steel.

Offline andrewlya

• OC.net guru
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2015, 12:53:50 PM »
It is really not convenient to not be able to get notifications for my replies..am I the only one with this problem?
I believe in one God the Father and His Son the Messiah, the Savior of all people.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2015, 01:22:18 PM »
Probably.

Everyone wants Mor.

Mor, you're a jackass.

Offline andrewlya

• OC.net guru
« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2015, 06:40:10 PM »
Probably.
When will it be fixed if ever?

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2015, 06:42:50 PM »
Probably.

I don't think it's going to be fixed. 

Everyone wants Mor.

Mor, you're a jackass.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2015, 09:48:18 PM »
Probably.
You can click "Show Replies to Your Posts" right next to your avatar at the top of the forum and it will show you all the responses to the threads you post in.

Offline andrewlya

• OC.net guru
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2015, 05:15:04 PM »
Probably.
You can click "Show Replies to Your Posts" right next to your avatar at the top of the forum and it will show you all the responses to the threads you post in.
Thanks for the tip.

Offline andrewlya

• OC.net guru
« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2015, 05:15:21 PM »

Online PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2015, 05:46:23 PM »
Probably.

Why is that, may I ask?
Because, as TheTrisagion indicated above, it's a "problem" you have complete ability to fix yourself? ;)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 05:46:36 PM by PeterTheAleut »
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline andrewlya

• OC.net guru
« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2015, 05:57:37 PM »
Probably.

Why is that, may I ask?
Because, as TheTrisagion indicated above, it's a "problem" you have complete ability to fix yourself? ;)
I thought he only said this to comfort me ;)

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
  • Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist
« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2015, 02:51:07 AM »

No.

Why?

In 2004, a user deleted 700 of her posts in the span of 2 hours on a Sunday morning when she knew all of the admins and mods would likely be in church. As a result, numerous threads became quite confusing. That's why you can't delete or edit your posts after a certain amount of time.

In situations where someone really, truly needed his or her posts deleted after the fact, I have obliged them on a case-by-case basis (i.e. threats to physical safety, etc.)
Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism and may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2015, 03:32:45 AM »
^I forgot about that!

Everyone wants Mor.

Mor, you're a jackass.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2015, 09:37:20 AM »
Deleted 700 posts? lol, epic.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2015, 11:22:22 AM »
Thank you Anastasios for bringing back the rules! :)
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.