Author Topic: "Donations" Tab Is Restored. Please Donate!  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
  • St. Chrysostomos the New
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist
"Donations" Tab Is Restored. Please Donate!
« on: December 01, 2015, 03:04:00 AM »
Greetings, Forum Family!

It costs about $40/month to keep this site running, "if all goes well."

All extra money collected in the past just stayed put in the PayPal account, and I used it to purchase long-term renewals at discounted rates from time to time.

From 2002-2012, I had good personal finances and did all my work on this site as a volunteer--we're talking thousands of hours, minimum. Sometimes, I paid bills out of my own pocket.

In 2012, things in my personal life took a dive, and I lost focus on our fine site gradually.

In 2015, I did a series of upgrades as things came to a head. I was not able to do this work for free; instead of hiring it out, I paid myself from the pot so to speak due to actual and real necessity. I then used the rest of the reserve to renew the site for another year, and purchase a new server plan that is a real improvement (as far as I can tell).

I'd like to request that everyone who can, donate now to build the pot up again. I will use part of the funds to renew the server space further; part of the funds I will appropriate to myself to pay for upgrades to the site and improvements/fixes you all have been requesting (instead of paying someone else), and if there is any remaining money, I will distribute it to our fine moderators as a token Christmas gift.

Keep in mind that I am regularly contacted by marketers seeking to make OCnet into an advertising place; I have assiduously avoided allowing advertisements on this site, but in the process, am giving up hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars a month in revenue (we get about 2 million hits a month here--no small feat). I want to keep OCnet ad-free and I want to continue to improve it, but there are various restraints.

Can you help alleviate these challenges? If so, follow this link and donate: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?action=treasury

Thank you for your generosity,

In Christ,

Anastasios Hudson
Co-Founder of OCnet
Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism and may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
Re: "Donations" Tab Is Restored. Please Donate!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 12:14:29 PM »
We can revive the "The OrthodoxChristianity.net Fund Drive."

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 12:55:31 PM »
Thank you!

As a general overview of the math in my post above, we had about $900 in the treasury at the beginning of 2015. I used $400 to renew the site on a better server, $400 I paid myself for the 20 hours of work I put in fixing the site, and we now have $89 in the account. I'd like to get the reserve back up around $900. If we get over $900, I will use some of the funds to show appreciation to our moderators who work so hard to keep things civil here. Some ideas are churning in my head.

Anyway, just want people to understand how things work generally when they donate.
Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism and may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 12:59:47 PM »
Just in time for the time of year when nearly everyone can spare a bob or two. ;D
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 01:44:42 PM »
Just in time for the time of year when nearly everyone can spare a bob or two. ;D

Funny it worked out that way :)

I basically didn't want to put the Treasury tab back until we needed it or were starting to need it.

I don't expect to raise the funds this month, but wanted people to be aware and start to chip in gradually, so when it is time to renew or fix something major, there will be funds.

If we had a regular commitment, I might also be able to assemble a technical team (myself and perhaps 1-2 contractors from India or China) and do regular updates and expansions to the site, turning it into something rival even Ancient Faith Publishing! (In my fantasy! haha).

At any rate, I love our site; it's my baby! Things kept me away from it but I hope to keep working on it and expanding it as time permits.

I thank all of you for your support.
Please Buy My Book!

Offline TheTrisagion

• Delusional Overlord
  • Hoplitarches
  • And the cat is back again.
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 03:25:51 PM »
I'm charging you by the post now so I don't think there will be anything left over for those mods.  ;D
The term planet earth is an innovation which has arisen in recent centuries with the error of heliocentrism.

If one wants to confess a pure doctrine of Orthodoxy, they should be careful not to refer to the earth as a planet, unlike the current Pope as well as Patriarch Kirill and Patriarch Bartholomew, who regularly speak in error when they refer to our planet earth.

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 05:12:27 PM »
Keep in mind that I am regularly contacted by marketers seeking to make OCnet into an advertising place; I have assiduously avoided allowing advertisements on this site, but in the process, am giving up hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars a month in revenue (we get about 2 million hits a month here--no small feat). I want to keep OCnet ad-free and I want to continue to improve it, but there are various restraints.

I do not think our members would like that.  I have been on one forum where advertisements now monopolize the site.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 05:15:32 PM by IXOYE »