Author Topic: New Article: Serbian Autocephaly as Paradigm for Canonical Autocephaly  (Read 637 times)

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
  • St. Chrysostomos the New
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist
Friends, here is a new article appearing on the front page of our site. I hope you enjoy it. If discussion becomes spirited, moderators, please feel free to move to another forum.

Anastasios

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/articles/50-the-autocephaly-of-the-serbian-church-in-1219-as-a-paradigm-for-the-canonical-acquisition-of-autocephaly

Abstract: When speaking about the Autocephaly of the Serbian Orthodox Church 800 years ago, one always has in mind that the history of events related to St. Sava is quite well known to the general public, but what has particularly caught my attention at this time is the question: how the autocephaly of the Serbian church and the events around it can be a paradigm of the canonical acquisition of the autocephaly?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 03:57:21 PM by Anastasios »
Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism and may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
Re: New Article: Serbian Autocephaly as Paradigm for Canonical Autocephaly
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 05:31:08 PM »

It is an informative and very interesting article.  Thanks for posting it!
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline orthoreader

• High Elder
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 04:13:14 PM »
I'm sure I'll have more questions over this piece, but to start. If this is the main reason for having an autocephalous church that autocephalous churches are divided, although only for administrative and practical reasons

Why is this status such a subject of contention between jurisdictions?

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Stratopedarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 06:31:21 PM »
I'm sure I'll have more questions over this piece, but to start. If this is the main reason for having an autocephalous church that autocephalous churches are divided, although only for administrative and practical reasons

Why is this status such a subject of contention between jurisdictions?

It depends on whose version of practicality.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"