OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 12:26:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Western Rite prayer books  (Read 3728 times) Average Rating: 0
searn77

Faith: Orthodox Old Calendarist
Jurisdiction: Autonomous Orthodox Metropolia of the Americas & the British Isles

St. Philaret (Voznesensky) of New York

« on: March 01, 2009, 09:36:28 PM »

I'm curious in the two western rite prayer books that I have found out about, the "St. Ambrose Prayer Book" and the "St. Andrew Service Book". Does anyone own both or know the difference between the two? Any thoughts or recommendations of the two? Here's a link to the St. Andrew Service Book that I found:

http://www.stmichaelwhittier.org/dnn/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=4k%2bgMuepcs0%3d&tabid=63&mid=414

Is one preferable over the other? I know the St. Ambrose one is the newest but I have also heard that it has a lot of typos. Is this true? How about the St. Andrew one? Is there any other western rite prayer books besides these ones? And what one is the most popular?

Let us the faithful now come together to praise our father, protector and teacher the pillar of the Orthodox faith and firm defender of piety even the wondrous hierarch Philaret and let us glorify our Saviour Who has granted us his incorrupt relics as a manifest sign of his sanctity.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 10:18:27 PM »

"Orthodox Prayers of Old England" has been authorised for use in the Russian Church by Metropolitan Hilarion of New York.   

Please see  ::  http://www.allmercifulsavior.com/Bookstore.html
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 10:23:05 PM by Irish Hermit » Logged
Christophoros

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 09:21:51 AM »

"Orthodox Prayers of Old England" has been authorised for use in the Russian Church by Metropolitan Hilarion of New York.   

I can testify that Fr. Aidan's prayer book is one of the best Orthodox prayer books available, eastern or western.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 09:22:48 AM by Christophoros » Logged
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 09:59:17 AM »

I can testify that Fr. Aidan's prayer book is one of the best Orthodox prayer books available, eastern or western.

At source, direct from Fr Aidan, you can buy it for $40.

Secondhand from Amazon.com and other booksellers it will cost you up to $400 !!!   

That's an amazing testimony to how much it is appreciated.

http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl&st=sl&qi=qmUqVF,aSGdndaaUmxdvm9h8DLM_5273014186_1:119:508&bq=author%3Dholy%2520synod%2520of%2520milan%26title%3Dorthodox%2520prayers%2520of%2520old%2520england%2520a%2520western%2520rite%2520prayer%2Dbook%2520for%2520orthodox%2520christians%252C%25202
dcointin

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 02:20:04 PM »

Is there a western prayer book sanctioned specifically by the Antiochian Archdiocese?
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 02:45:56 PM »

Is there a western prayer book sanctioned specifically by the Antiochian Archdiocese?

No. Not a prayer book. The Orthodox Missal is the official service book, but, frankly, each church decides what it will use.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 02:47:24 PM »

I'm curious in the two western rite prayer books that I have found out about, the "St. Ambrose Prayer Book" and the "St. Andrew Service Book". Does anyone own both or know the difference between the two? Any thoughts or recommendations of the two? Here's a link to the St. Andrew Service Book that I found:

http://www.stmichaelwhittier.org/dnn/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=4k%2bgMuepcs0%3d&tabid=63&mid=414

Is one preferable over the other? I know the St. Ambrose one is the newest but I have also heard that it has a lot of typos. Is this true? How about the St. Andrew one? Is there any other western rite prayer books besides these ones? And what one is the most popular?

The St. Andrew is a service book--it has the sacramental services, mostly.
The St. Ambrose Prayer Book is mostly for private use.
They each have different contents.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 12:39:30 AM »

I recently got a copy of the St. Ambrose Prayer Book. What you've heard about typos is true. I have found quite a few. It is still nice though. I like it.
samkim
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 03:18:02 AM »

I have a the St. Ambrose PB, the Book of Common Prayer published by Lancelot Andrewes Press, and also a digital copy of the St. Andrew Service book.

The St. Ambrose book contains private devotions for morning and evening, devotions for mass, the text of the Masses of St. Gregory and St. Tikhon, Rosary instructions, prayers to the Trinity, to the Holy Spirit, and to the "Sacred Heart." It also has devotions for Eucharistic adoration. These last two might be controversial to many Orthodox (including to me).

The BCP is essentially an Orthodoxified 1928 BCP, with selections of the daily office, the Liturgy of St. Tikhon, the Coverdale Psalter, and a selection of variable parts of the Mass. The Feast of the Sacred Heart is included, with some other post-schism feasts and the rite of benediction of the Blessed Sacrament. Physically, it's beautiful.

The St. Andrew's book if official for the Antiochian jurisdiction I believe. It's like a BCP, but leaves much desired. It also includes eucharistic devotions.

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
WPM
Archon

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 10:46:33 AM »

Yes, its the Lancelot Andrews version of the 'Book of Common Prayer' bound in red leather...cost $25 dollars each
WPM
Archon

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 10:52:05 AM »

And what one is the most popular?

Well, theres the Jordanville Holy Trinity prayer book but collecting these items can be a bit pricey..
braish

Faith: Continuing Anglican- Orthodox Seeker
Jurisdiction: Province of Christ the King

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 12:35:35 PM »

Yes, its the Lancelot Andrews version of the 'Book of Common Prayer' bound in red leather...cost $25 dollars each

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that one isn't officially approved by any jurisdiction, right?
WPM
Archon

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 12:57:12 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that one isn't officially approved by any jurisdiction, right?

Its for all English-speaking parishes and dioceses...
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 03:47:50 PM »

I'm not aware of there being any officially-approved prayerbook for WR in any archdiocese except possibly ROCOR. There are rumors of them, but they're mostly from the Internet.

Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 08:18:27 PM »

I'm not aware of there being any officially-approved prayerbook for WR in any archdiocese except possibly ROCOR. There are rumors of them, but they're mostly from the Internet.

Correct. 
braish

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 09:19:15 PM »

Correct. 

So there is an approved liturgy based on the 1928 BCP but not an "Orthodox approved" BCP? The Lancelot Andrewes Press is attempting to bridge that gap?

Sorry if I'm completely off, I appreciate any guidance!

In Christ,
Braish
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 09:58:42 PM »

The approved liturgy is sort of based on the '28 BCP, but more on its American Missal adaptation. This is the liturgy found in the Lancelot Andrewes Prayer Book, however this Prayer Book itself is not approved by anyone. This Prayer Book borrowed this liturgy from the Orthodox Missal, which is approved by the Antiochian Archdiocese. But the OM is not a prayer book Smiley

I hope that didn't confuse you. Basically the approved liturgy is the liturgy used in the LA Press Prayer Book, but that Prayer Book is intended for a wider audience than WRO, and is not approved by any body.
braish

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 11:03:22 PM »

The approved liturgy is sort of based on the '28 BCP, but more on its American Missal adaptation. This is the liturgy found in the Lancelot Andrewes Prayer Book, however this Prayer Book itself is not approved by anyone. This Prayer Book borrowed this liturgy from the Orthodox Missal, which is approved by the Antiochian Archdiocese. But the OM is not a prayer book Smiley

I hope that didn't confuse you. Basically the approved liturgy is the liturgy used in the LA Press Prayer Book, but that Prayer Book is intended for a wider audience than WRO, and is not approved by any body.

Ahhh, now I see!  Thank you for clearing that up for me.  I'm curious as to how different the LA Press Prayer Book is from my 1928 BCP?
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2012, 11:07:13 PM »

LAP's would, I think, be quite similar, but not exactly the same.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: