OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 10:11:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two Questions Re. Greek Style Practice  (Read 1015 times) Average Rating: 0
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« on: February 28, 2009, 09:48:13 PM »

1. Why don't we commemorate "St. John Chrysostom, Archbishop of Constantinople" during the dismissal of the Liturgy that is ascribed to him?

2. How is it that "Glory to the Father...Lord Have Mercy (3)...Holy Father Bless" is not conducted after "Glory to thee O Christ our God..." (before the Dismissal), but is chanted before the Prayer Behind the Amvon?

My sense is that these are American, Greek style practices.  Any idea why these practices exist and why it continues to exist?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 09:49:36 PM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 10:29:36 PM »

(1) Some priests do, and in many Greek texts it is called for.  Others do not, and it is not included in the Maroon HC-Edition of the Liturgy book.

(2) IIRC, the prayer behind the Amvon is the older blessing/dismissal of the Liturgy, with the formal blessing/dismissal that follows being a later addition (semi-standardized, as one can see with comparison to other services).

In some places, these are done; in others, one but not the other; in others, neither.  I don't think they're "American" per se, though.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 12:14:59 AM »

In my Antiochian parish, we always commemorate the saint whose Liturgy was celebrated during the dismissal and we always chant "glory to the father...Lord have mercy...Father, bless" after the priest says "Glory to Thee O Christ and our God, glory to Thee."  I've pretty much heard it the same way in many other Antiochian parishes.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 04:52:52 AM »

1. Why don't we commemorate "St. John Chrysostom, Archbishop of Constantinople" during the dismissal of the Liturgy that is ascribed to him?

The only time I have not heard St John Chrysostom commemorated at the dismissal is when "his" liturgy is not the one which has just been served. The omission of this commemoration is not a "standard" variation of practice according to my many years' experience of Greek and Slavic churches.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 05:23:52 AM »

As you note for Greek and Slavic parishes, ACROD always commemorates St. John Chyrsostom (unless Liturgy of St. Basil).

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 12:16:32 PM »

2. How is it that "Glory to the Father...Lord Have Mercy (3)...Holy Father Bless" is not conducted after "Glory to thee O Christ our God..." (before the Dismissal), but is chanted before the Prayer Behind the Amvon?

In my church it is done after both.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 03:23:20 PM »

(2) IIRC,

I see this IIRC referenced a lot on this board.  What is IIRC?

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Sarah

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 03:44:09 PM »

IIRC means "if I remember (or recall) correctly."  I had to ask on another forum--all these acronyms are so confusing if you don't know what they mean!  I can type out the words faster than I can try to figure out what the abbreviation would be--HAHAHA!!!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: