Author Topic: Strange icons  (Read 486132 times)

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
Re: Strange icons
« Reply #1080 on: August 05, 2015, 06:40:53 PM »
The above icon is inscribed Sobor (synaxis, assembly) of the Mother of God, and is the festal icon for the day after the Nativity of the Lord. The icon is also known as All Creation Rejoices in You, and is a visual counterpart to the hymn to the Mother of God of the same name, sung at the Divine Liturgy of St Basil the Great:

All of creation rejoices in you, Lady full of grace,
    The assembly of angels and the race of men.
    O sanctified Temple and rational Paradise! O glory of virgins!
    From you, God was incarnate and became a child, our God before the ages.
    He made your body into a throne, and your womb He made more spacious than the heavens.
    All of creation rejoices in you, Lady full of grace, glory to you.

The version Dominika has posted is simplified compared to most other compositions, but retains some of the features distinctive to this icon type: the magi presenting their gifts to the enthroned Mother and Child, the assembly of angels, and things of earth such as hills and vegetation. The two haloed saints in the lower half are St John of Damascus on the left, and St Kosmas of Maiuma, iconographers who wrote a great number of hymns to the Mother of God.

You can always rely on LBK regarding the icons subject :) You're knowledge is really amazing.
I knew the type of this icons and of which feast it is, however couldn't say all these special featus, so thank you :)
You wrote about the hymn to the Theotokos from st. Basil's Liturgy, so I have a question: is there any difference between the icons "Assembly of the Theotokos" (Sobor Bogorodici) and "All creation rejoices in you" ("O Tebe radujetsja")? Is it actually the same icon or they're distinct but with some differences?
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #1081 on: August 05, 2015, 06:54:38 PM »
You can always rely on LBK regarding the icons subject :) You're knowledge is really amazing.

Thank you.  :)

You wrote about the hymn to the Theotokos from st. Basil's Liturgy, so I have a question: is there any difference between the icons "Assembly of the Theotokos" (Sobor Bogorodici) and "All creation rejoices in you" ("O Tebe radujetsja")? Is it actually the same icon or they're distinct but with some differences?

The different names refer to the same icon type.
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1082 on: August 09, 2015, 08:42:39 AM »
Titled Serbian saints
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #1083 on: August 09, 2015, 08:49:04 AM »
Not 'strange' but beautiful.
I d/l it and thanks.
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1084 on: August 09, 2015, 09:08:53 AM »
Titled Serbian saints

The four mystical creatures at the periphery of the spiral (lion, ox, youth, and lion) are a feature of icons of Christ in Majesty, where Christ is enthroned in heaven, surrounded by a mandorla of uncreated light filled with seraphim, and with cherubim at His feet. The four creatures are in the corners of the composition:

Given that these creatures are so closely associated with the throne of God, it seems problematic to see them surrounding an assembly of saints.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1085 on: August 10, 2015, 01:58:42 PM »
Church in Borjomi (Georgia)

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1086 on: August 12, 2015, 08:42:11 AM »

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1087 on: August 12, 2015, 08:46:05 AM »

IIRC this was discussed earlier in this thread, or in the Schlock Icons thread.  :)

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #1088 on: August 12, 2015, 08:47:26 AM »

IIRC this was discussed earlier in this thread, or in the Schlock Icons thread.  :)

Being a schlock guy, I like it.
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1089 on: August 12, 2015, 09:52:19 AM »

That's quite probable ;)

And what can you tell LBK about the Gregorian fresco I'd posted earlier in this thread; is it "correct" to depict the people in icons in such shape and with these a kidn illuminations (?) ? Or is it just a Georgian type of icons that's not familari for Slavs, Greeks, Arabs etc. ?

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1090 on: August 12, 2015, 10:08:35 AM »
I'm not very familiar with traditional Georgian iconography, most of the Georgian icons I've seen would have been painted quite recently, so I can't say how faithful the image you posted is to traditional styles.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #1091 on: August 12, 2015, 05:57:06 PM »

This type of icon is common in Romania and other places. Nothing strange or schlock about it.
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #1092 on: August 12, 2015, 05:58:08 PM »
Church in Borjomi (Georgia)

No, this is definitely not a traditional Georgian style. That said, I kinda like it.
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1093 on: August 23, 2015, 05:55:03 PM »
^^ That's interesting as the church looks relatively old (ofc not so old as the most famous Georgian monasteries)
Another picture from this church:

Works by Serbian deacon Srđan Radojković

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1094 on: August 26, 2015, 06:17:48 PM »
The tree

The egg (and not only) - maybe it has been posted before

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1095 on: August 26, 2015, 07:27:35 PM »
The tree

From the life of St Irene Chrysovalantou:

On great feasts it was the custom of Irene to keep vigil in the courtyard of the monastery, giving thanks for the awesome beauty of creation. During one of these vigils one of the nuns, who was unable to sleep, left her cell and entered the courtyard. The nun was blessed to see Irene motionless, in prayer and levitated a metre off the ground, with two cypress trees bent to the ground before her. After Irene had finished, she blessed the trees and they returned to standing upright.

At first, the nun thought this to be a vision of the evil one. Afterwards, when others of the sisterhood noticed handkerchiefs at the top of those trees, the nun who saw Irene related what she saw. In response to this the whole sisterhood was so excited that Irene rebuked them, focusing on the need for concentration of their own prayer rule and ordering them not to relate any miracles until after Irene's repose.

Source: http://orthodoxwiki.org/Irene_Chrysovalantou

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1096 on: August 27, 2015, 07:50:35 AM »
Thanks for the info ^^

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1097 on: August 29, 2015, 01:21:12 PM »
Don't what type of Theotokos image it is

Overloaded annuciation

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1098 on: August 29, 2015, 01:29:27 PM »
Don't what type of Theotokos image it is

This was painted by a Greek, who has called it Mother of God "Bringer of Hope". I'm in no doubt that, apart from the well-known depiction of the Mother of God enthroned, this composition is of his own making.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1099 on: August 29, 2015, 01:32:12 PM »

Overloaded annuciation

You're quite right. There's far, far too much going on there. The actual Annunciation is lost among all that frou-frou.  :P
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 01:32:39 PM by LBK »

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1100 on: August 30, 2015, 09:05:10 AM »
^^ As always, thx LBK for info. Is this icon "Bringer of Hope" placed in any church?

And now some Arabic stuff:
Holy Land

I can't read the title as for me it's written in too much caligraphic manner

Offline Matthew Herman

« Reply #1101 on: August 30, 2015, 11:04:57 PM »
The tree

From the life of St Irene Chrysovalantou:

On great feasts it was the custom of Irene to keep vigil in the courtyard of the monastery, giving thanks for the awesome beauty of creation. During one of these vigils one of the nuns, who was unable to sleep, left her cell and entered the courtyard. The nun was blessed to see Irene motionless, in prayer and levitated a metre off the ground, with two cypress trees bent to the ground before her. After Irene had finished, she blessed the trees and they returned to standing upright.

At first, the nun thought this to be a vision of the evil one. Afterwards, when others of the sisterhood noticed handkerchiefs at the top of those trees, the nun who saw Irene related what she saw. In response to this the whole sisterhood was so excited that Irene rebuked them, focusing on the need for concentration of their own prayer rule and ordering them not to relate any miracles until after Irene's repose.

Source: http://orthodoxwiki.org/Irene_Chrysovalantou

My wife's Patron Saint.  :)

Pray for us St. Irene of Chrysovalantou!

In Christ,
Matthew Herman

Offline HaydenTE

• OC.net guru
  • Always honest, occasionally correct.
  • Faith: Lost in the sectarian sauce
  • Jurisdiction: "Can't we all just get along?"
« Reply #1102 on: September 01, 2015, 08:49:35 PM »
I know that the usual 'Holy Family' icons are uncanonical, but is this acceptable?

"For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his soul?" - Mark 8:36 (DRA)

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1103 on: September 02, 2015, 05:19:11 AM »
I know that the usual 'Holy Family' icons are uncanonical, but is this acceptable?

Barely. The supplicatory arrangement of the Mother of God and St Joseph is fine, but two details are problematic: why is St Joseph pointing to himself? And why is his hair brown, not white?

Offline HaydenTE

• OC.net guru
« Reply #1104 on: September 02, 2015, 07:14:04 AM »

Barely. The supplicatory arrangement of the Mother of God and St Joseph is fine, but two details are problematic: why is St Joseph pointing to himself? And why is his hair brown, not white?

I think the gesture you interpret as "pointing to himself" is actually him holding his staff. His hair seems to pretty clearly be gray to me, certainly not the the brown hair of a young man.
"For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his soul?" - Mark 8:36 (DRA)

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1105 on: September 02, 2015, 07:31:02 AM »
I think the gesture you interpret as "pointing to himself" is actually him holding his staff.

I'm afraid it isn't. St Joseph's fingers are pointing to himself. His fingers would be closed around the staff if he were simply holding it. His open hand should be gesturing to Christ in deference, not to himself.

His hair seems to pretty clearly be gray to me, certainly not the the brown hair of a young man.

Look more closely. The saint's hair is a light brown color, with darker brown lines to delineate features and shape. There are only a couple of white highlights, certainly not nearly enough to suggest the hair color of an aged man.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 07:37:03 AM by LBK »

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #1106 on: September 02, 2015, 09:25:25 AM »

Overloaded annuciation

You're quite right. There's far, far too much going on there. The actual Annunciation is lost among all that frou-frou.  :P
I like the giant hand of God throwing the Holy Spirit at the Theotokos like she's a dartboard.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline HaydenTE

• OC.net guru
« Reply #1107 on: September 02, 2015, 03:20:11 PM »
I think the gesture you interpret as "pointing to himself" is actually him holding his staff.

I'm afraid it isn't. St Joseph's fingers are pointing to himself. His fingers would be closed around the staff if he were simply holding it. His open hand should be gesturing to Christ in deference, not to himself.

His hair seems to pretty clearly be gray to me, certainly not the the brown hair of a young man.

Look more closely. The saint's hair is a light brown color, with darker brown lines to delineate features and shape. There are only a couple of white highlights, certainly not nearly enough to suggest the hair color of an aged man.

I suppose you're right about the first point. That index finger is loose. I still can't see how the hair is light brown, but I guess that we all see colors differently. Either way, I suppose I won't spend $15 on that icon. Thank you for the assistance.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1108 on: September 03, 2015, 09:55:22 AM »
Saint bishop Luke Wojno-Jasienicki

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1109 on: September 03, 2015, 07:13:01 PM »
Saint bishop Luke Wojno-Jasienicki

It would have been better to show him vested as a bishop, holding a medicament box like the ones seen in icons of other physician-saints.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #1110 on: September 03, 2015, 07:21:56 PM »
He looks like Father Matthew Tate of the OCA. 

All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline ElisabethConvent

• Catalogue of Saint Elisabeth Convent
  • Jurisdiction: MP
« Reply #1111 on: September 08, 2015, 05:48:04 AM »
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 05:50:45 AM by ElisabethConvent »

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1112 on: September 08, 2015, 06:12:52 AM »

Offline ElisabethConvent

• Catalogue of Saint Elisabeth Convent
  • Jurisdiction: MP

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1114 on: September 08, 2015, 06:35:42 AM »
Thanks.  :)

The composition is a pretty standard one of the scene, and was probably painted somewhere in rural Greece. Rustic, but not a strange icon at all.  :)

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Lutheran
  • Jurisdiction: Texas
« Reply #1115 on: September 08, 2015, 07:23:44 AM »
More like wondering why this is Gay when you're Straight.
For questions about the history of the Lutheran faith see the Book of Concord available from Pastor's office.

Formula of Concord 1577

A restatement of some teachings in the Augsburg Confession over which Lutherans had become divided. The Solid Declaration is the unabridged version. The Epitome is an abridged version intended for congregations to study. Over 8,100 pastors and theologians signed it, as well as over 50 government leaders.

WELS/ELCA/LCMS Church Pastor's Word

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1116 on: September 08, 2015, 01:58:44 PM »
Nativity of the Theotokos

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1117 on: September 08, 2015, 06:52:21 PM »

Again, not a "strange" icon. It shows various aspects of the Virgin's nativity story: the prayers of Sts Anna and Joachim to God to give them a child and overcome their barrenness, and the angels announcing to them that God has heard their prayers and they will conceive; the conception (shown by the saints embracing); the birth; and the washing of the newborn child by midwives.

What is "strange" is that the icon is painted in a Russian style, but with Arabic inscriptions.  ;D

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #1118 on: September 08, 2015, 06:54:50 PM »

beautiful icon.
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #1119 on: September 08, 2015, 07:15:24 PM »

I love the color scheme.
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1120 on: September 08, 2015, 07:26:08 PM »

Again, not a "strange" icon. It shows various aspects of the Virgin's nativity story: the prayers of Sts Anna and Joachim to God to give them a child and overcome their barrenness, and the angels announcing to them that God has heard their prayers and they will conceive; the conception (shown by the saints embracing); the birth; and the washing of the newborn child by midwives.

What is "strange" is that the icon is painted in a Russian style, but with Arabic inscriptions.  ;D

I thought that the idea of placing all the events in something being a kind of one palace (?) is quite strange; I know the building in background of the icon for this feast is very normal, but not in node in such way, as a main theme

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1121 on: September 08, 2015, 07:54:29 PM »
I thought that the idea of placing all the events in something being a kind of one palace (?) is quite strange;

It's not only common in iconography, but it also expresses the timelessness of the events. Linear time as we know it does not exist in heaven, just as icons are/should not be not painted in a naturalistic way using linear perspective.

Here's an icon of the Transfiguration which shows multiple aspects of the story:

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1122 on: September 11, 2015, 08:25:18 AM »
Let every breath glorify the Lord

By the rivers of Babylon

A bit different version of specific type of Christ's harrowing into Hades

A few less common elements of the Crucifixion icon

Redeption. Actually, maybe it's schlocky

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1123 on: September 11, 2015, 08:54:22 AM »
Redeption. Actually, maybe it's schlocky

It is indeed schlock. Among other problems, it shows Tsar Ivan IV (Ivan Grozny) and Rasputin as saints.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 08:55:16 AM by LBK »

Offline griego catolico

• Elder
  • ...for the union of all, let us pray to the Lord.
« Reply #1124 on: September 11, 2015, 04:21:27 PM »

Looks a bit like the Theotokos of Athos.

And was created from the very similar idea. I can't see anything wrong with the LA icon as long as the Athonite is OK.

There is the problem of the Native American "Christ" and "Mother of God" surrounded by mandorlas in the LA painting.  :police:

In looking at the photos of the glorification of St. Sebastian of San Francisco and Jackson, which took place at Saint Steven Serbian Orthodox Cathedral in Alhambra, CA, I see that a copy of the "Our Lady of the Angels" icon is enshrined there: http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/synod/pictures/images/9wadpatririneivisit15_10_jpg.jpg