OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 25, 2014, 06:04:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Strange icons  (Read 41523 times) Average Rating: 0
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #540 on: July 14, 2014, 10:58:45 PM »

Wow.  I had not seen the Otechestvo, but yes that is disturbing on SO many levels.

Why do you find it disturbing, Anna? 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
Anna.T
High Elder

Faith: One of the Orthodox Faithful - no longer a Catechumen!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

Κύριε, ἐλέησον!

« Reply #541 on: July 14, 2014, 11:10:42 PM »

Wow.  I had not seen the Otechestvo, but yes that is disturbing on SO many levels.

Well, I am absolutely NO expert. I've only studied a limited number of icons. But ...

1. The biggest thing, by far, for me, is the positioning of "Joseph". I've never seen an icon of anyone but the Theotokos in this position with Christ, and it's so obviously similar. It just seems highly inappropriate.

2. The age of Joseph is far off. He appears to be a relatively young man, in contrast to all the teaching we have about him. It would undermine much other teaching about the Theotokos, and make her ever-virginity seem suspect, at best.

3. A minor point, but the resemblance between the two figures. The Joseph looks more like Christ - than Christ does. Somehow this seems to imply, on an unconscious level, that Joseph would be Jesus' biological father.

4. The dove - as mentioned - the whole Father-Son-dove iconography puts me in mind of the Trinity, and icons depicting the Trinity in this way are considered not canonical? Further, even if they were, putting Joseph in the position of God the Father is ... A problem, IMO.

Those are my main problems with it. But it's difficult for me to find something praiseworthy in it, in the face of all the issues it feels like it stirs in me.

Forgive me, I can be off in something. I'm just learning all this. And I hope nothing I've said is inadvertently offensive to anyone. But what I've gotten from Orthodoxy so far, makes me think of these issues.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 11:18:09 PM by Anna.T » Logged

Aγιος ὁ Θεός, Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός, Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος, ἐλέησον ἡμᾶς

Remembering our most holy, pure, blessed, and glorious Lady, the Theotokos and ever virgin Mary, with all the saints, let us commit ourselves and one another and our whole life to Christ our God
Anna.T
High Elder

Κύριε, ἐλέησον!

« Reply #542 on: July 14, 2014, 11:13:42 PM »

Wow.  I had not seen the Otechestvo, but yes that is disturbing on SO many levels.

Ohhhh! You meant the Otechestvo? I'm sorry, it does sound like that's what I was disturbed by.

No, I'm sorry, I was relating the Otechestvo to the Joseph and Jesus icon, and upset about the Joseph one. My apologies. I have not looked closely at the Otechestvo. All I know is those types I have been told are not strictly canonical, as it is not permitted to portray The Father. And I wondered who the people are. I don't have much to comment on that one though. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 11:15:47 PM by Anna.T » Logged

Remembering our most holy, pure, blessed, and glorious Lady, the Theotokos and ever virgin Mary, with all the saints, let us commit ourselves and one another and our whole life to Christ our God
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy.

« Reply #543 on: July 14, 2014, 11:19:28 PM »

More accurately, one portrays the Father whenever one portrays the Son (John 14:9).

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Mor Ephrem
Hoplitarches

« Reply #544 on: July 14, 2014, 11:21:38 PM »

Ohhhh! You meant the Otechestvo? I'm sorry, it does sound like that's what I was disturbed by.

No, I'm sorry, I was relating the Otechestvo to the Joseph and Jesus icon, and upset about the Joseph one. My apologies. I have not looked closely at the Otechestvo. All I know is those types I have been told are not strictly canonical, as it is not permitted to portray The Father. And I wondered who the people are. I don't have much to comment on that one though. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Smiley

No worries.  Yes, I had in mind the Otechestvo, not the various St Joseph icons.  I saw an opportunity: I wanted to see what someone "relatively unfamiliar" with Orthodoxy thought when seeing such images.  I wanted to know your unfiltered, original thoughts, as opposed to thoughts based on what you might have learned, what you might have been told/taught to believe or think about such images, etc.  

Mor Ephrem
Hoplitarches

« Reply #545 on: July 14, 2014, 11:22:15 PM »

More accurately, one portrays the Father whenever one portrays the Son (John 14:9).

Not exactly.

Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

« Reply #546 on: July 14, 2014, 11:24:09 PM »

Not exactly.

Smiley Come on, spit it out. I know you have something to say about all this.

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Mor Ephrem
Hoplitarches

« Reply #547 on: July 14, 2014, 11:24:47 PM »

Not exactly.

Smiley Come on, spit it out. I know you have something to say about all this.

Wink

WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Warned
Archon

« Reply #548 on: July 14, 2014, 11:26:19 PM »

You're taking icons and calling them "strange" ...
Anna.T
High Elder

Κύριε, ἐλέησον!

« Reply #549 on: July 14, 2014, 11:28:30 PM »

No worries.  Yes, I had in mind the Otechestvo, not the various St Joseph icons.  I saw an opportunity: I wanted to see what someone "relatively unfamiliar" with Orthodoxy thought when seeing such images.  I wanted to know your unfiltered, original thoughts, as opposed to thoughts based on what you might have learned, what you might have been told/taught to believe or think about such images, etc.  

Oh, I have a handful of questions. Generally reserving judgement until I know more.

I will say this - a very quick glance makes me think it teaches something like - "The Father produced the Son, and from the Son came the Holy Spirit". I see a problem, maybe subliminally, with "rank" here as well. That's my quick impression, and unvarnished and untaught, lol.

Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #550 on: July 14, 2014, 11:28:47 PM »

We should have an icon of St. Joseph teaching Jesus how to pee while standing, to demonstrate Christ's full humanity in an area he couldn't quite learn from Mary. angel
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: The San Franciscan Orthodox Church of New York, Big Apple and Fourth Rome

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #551 on: July 14, 2014, 11:30:36 PM »

I really like the otechestvo, even though I can see how one could learn bad theology from it.

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
Mor Ephrem
Hoplitarches

« Reply #552 on: July 14, 2014, 11:31:08 PM »

We should have an icon of St. Joseph teaching Jesus how to pee while standing, to demonstrate Christ's full humanity in an area he couldn't quite learn from Mary. angel

Who says he urinated?  The Gospels say nothing of this.

Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

« Reply #553 on: July 14, 2014, 11:31:53 PM »

You're taking icons and calling them "strange" ...

Is that an icon of Luther in your avatar?

Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

« Reply #554 on: July 14, 2014, 11:32:52 PM »

There's something strangely profound in this strangely shallow suggestion.

Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #555 on: July 14, 2014, 11:33:26 PM »

I really like the otechestvo, even though I can see how one could learn bad theology from it.

It could also teach proper theology insofar as Christ still sent the Holy Spirit, and/or the fact that the Spirit eternally rests in and upon the Son. Etc.
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Warned
Archon

« Reply #556 on: July 14, 2014, 11:36:31 PM »

Wow.  I had not seen the Otechestvo, but yes that is disturbing on SO many levels.

I get a "little disturbance" in my mind over religious imagery.
Anna.T
High Elder

Κύριε, ἐλέησον!

« Reply #557 on: July 14, 2014, 11:38:05 PM »

I'm also looking at the red winged wheels near the footstool, and reminded about enemies being made into His footstool, but the only winged wheel I can recall was seen by Elijah, right?

The Father holds a scroll, but Christ doesn't. One of the men in the towers does. And I don't know why the towers, who those men are, and who the one on the ground is. That just makes me wonder. That's all I've got.

But our Creed says the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father. I just started looking into what that actually means, because apparently I had always misunderstood "proceed" in the Creed.

Antonis
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The San Franciscan Orthodox Church of New York, Big Apple and Fourth Rome

« Reply #558 on: July 14, 2014, 11:41:27 PM »

It could also teach proper theology insofar as Christ still sent the Holy Spirit, and/or the fact that the Spirit eternally rests in and upon the Son. Etc.
I had considered that part of it, though I think some might object and say the icon displays some kind of "ranking" of the Trinity. This same objection could not be made in icons of the Trinity where they are shown equally enthroned, however.

Regardless, I definitely like the otechestvo.

Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

« Reply #559 on: July 14, 2014, 11:41:51 PM »

Ezekiel, I think you mean, but he was not the only one. At any rate, the wheels drive the throne of God.

Antonis
OC.net guru

« Reply #560 on: July 14, 2014, 11:43:03 PM »

I'm also looking at the red winged wheels near the footstool, and reminded about enemies being made into His footstool, but the only winged wheel I can recall was seen by Elijah, right?
Those are cherubim, and the orthodoxy of their presence in such icons is undisputed.

Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #561 on: July 14, 2014, 11:52:21 PM »

I had considered that part of it, though I think some might object and say the icon displays some kind of "ranking" of the Trinity. This same objection could not be made in icons of the Trinity where they are shown equally enthroned, however.

The two major icons I can imagine that show them equal would be the Visitation of Abraham or the Ethiopian "Three Old Men"-style Trinity. Almost all other New Testament Trinity icons perhaps suggest, or could at least, a ranking by virtue of the Holy Spirit just being a bird. That said, the specific locations of each person does seem to be a "biggest-to-smallest" ranking of descending importance in this one, but Idk.

I have a guilty pleasure of liking New Testament Trinity icons myself, but this one I don't like nearly as much for some reason that I can't put my finger on.
Antonis
OC.net guru

« Reply #562 on: July 14, 2014, 11:57:11 PM »

The two major icons I can imagine that show them equal would be the Visitation of Abraham or the Ethiopian "Three Old Men"-style Trinity. Almost all other New Testament Trinity icons perhaps suggest, or could at least, a ranking by virtue of the Holy Spirit just being a bird. That said, the specific locations of each person does seem to be a "biggest-to-smallest" ranking of descending importance in this one, but Idk.

I have a guilty pleasure of liking New Testament Trinity icons myself, but this one I don't like nearly as much for some reason that I can't put my finger on.
I hadn't thought of this.

Anna.T
High Elder

Κύριε, ἐλέησον!

« Reply #563 on: July 15, 2014, 12:00:44 AM »

Ezekiel, I think you mean, but he was not the only one. At any rate, the wheels drive the throne of God.

Oh, thank you, you are right!

Now I did not remember them connected with the throne of God. That makes much more sense then. Thank you. All I could see was that they seemed connected with a footstool.

I think this is why we need icons explained. I don't like to assume too much!

And especially since I'm not that strong in the OT. I suppose I should concentrate more on it, but it's difficult to get away from my more favorite parts of Scripture.

Thanks for the correction though. Can't believe I confused Elijah with Ezekiel, lol.

Anna.T
High Elder

Κύριε, ἐλέησον!

« Reply #564 on: July 15, 2014, 12:03:41 AM »

Those are cherubim, and the orthodoxy of their presence in such icons is undisputed.

Thank you. Smiley

I had figured they must be angels. My problem was connecting them with the footstool, which if they are angels, makes no sense to me. Peter has kindly corrected me though, and I get that part now. Smiley

Thank you for the correction as well.

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #565 on: July 15, 2014, 12:04:32 AM »

In the second, he usurps all the rights and beauties of the Theotokos.
Even worse, I'm seeing shades of father, son, and holy spirit. (lack of capitalization intended)

Quite right. The artist has appropriated an existing uncanonical composition, known as Otechestvo (Paternity), and further compounded the heresy:

Who is the figure in the lower right of the Otechestvo? I feel like I shouldn't even be asking, but I would like to know?

The three small figures are of two pillar-dwelling saints, the third is possibly of one of the younger apostles (Thomas, John or Philip). Their presence simply points to this image having been painted to include these three saints, who are very likely patron-saints of members of the household which commissioned it.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

« Reply #566 on: July 15, 2014, 12:10:20 AM »

No, it does not. It ranks the Persons of the Trinity as unequal; it depicts God the Father as an old man, where He has only ever been revealed as a voice and as a rushing wind, and never as incarnate; and it depicts the Holy Spirit as a dove, when the Spirit is not a dove by nature. The Holy Spirit as a dove is only permissible in icons of Theophany (Baptism of the Lord), as it is in this form that the Spirit was manifest at that particular time and place.

Time and again, the Church has denounced such imagery, yet they continue to be painted, whether through honest ignorance, or stubborn pride.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

« Reply #567 on: July 15, 2014, 12:14:33 AM »

You disgust me, Nephi. I expected better from you.  Angry Angry
kelly
UNSUBSCRIBED from the world
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Genuine Kellenic Truest Orthodox Traditionalist Church *of* America

Proverbs 31:13

« Reply #568 on: July 15, 2014, 12:18:14 AM »

Beep beep, all aboard the bus to Hell. I laughed.

kelly and I spend all our free time collecting pictures of Russian monarchs.  Its a thing we do.
Mor Ephrem
Hoplitarches

« Reply #569 on: July 15, 2014, 12:32:35 AM »

...it depicts God the Father as an old man, where He has only ever been revealed as a voice and as a rushing wind, and never as incarnate; and it depicts the Holy Spirit as a dove, when the Spirit is not a dove by nature. The Holy Spirit as a dove is only permissible in icons of Theophany (Baptism of the Lord), as it is in this form that the Spirit was manifest at that particular time and place.

1.  Leaving aside the appearance to Abraham, the visions of the prophet Daniel, etc., if you claim that the Father "has only ever been revealed as a voice and as a rushing wind", does this mean that the Father could be depicted as a voice or as a wind if there was an iconographic convention for painting these things?  Why or why not?  

2.  The Spirit is not a dove by nature, but can be depicted as such in the Theophany icon because you say that it was in that particular form that He manifested "at that particular time and place".  Leaving aside the fact that it is not clear from the Gospels whether the Spirit manifested in the form of a dove or merely descended like a dove, what does this principle mean for other iconographic conventions that are not strictly limited to "particular time and place" (e.g., depictions of the child Jesus as a miniature thirty year old in the arms of his Mother or appearing as if entombed in the Nativity icon)?  

DeniseDenise
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #570 on: July 15, 2014, 12:37:19 AM »

Beep beep, all aboard the bus to Hell. I laughed.

not a bus..its a handbasket...and i am clearly in it....since I not only snickered, I thought of at least two good follow on quips.

Embarrassed
Antonis
OC.net guru

« Reply #571 on: July 15, 2014, 12:40:02 AM »

...it depicts God the Father as an old man, where He has only ever been revealed as a voice and as a rushing wind, and never as incarnate; and it depicts the Holy Spirit as a dove, when the Spirit is not a dove by nature. The Holy Spirit as a dove is only permissible in icons of Theophany (Baptism of the Lord), as it is in this form that the Spirit was manifest at that particular time and place.

1.  Leaving aside the appearance to Abraham, the visions of the prophet Daniel, etc., if you claim that the Father "has only ever been revealed as a voice and as a rushing wind", does this mean that the Father could be depicted as a voice or as a wind if there was an iconographic convention for painting these things?  Why or why not?  
In the icon of the theophany at my church, the Father is "depicted" as a voice. Is this uncommon?

Mor Ephrem
Hoplitarches

« Reply #572 on: July 15, 2014, 12:48:12 AM »

In the icon of the theophany at my church, the Father is "depicted" as a voice. Is this uncommon?

What does "the voice" look like when painted as an image?

kelly
UNSUBSCRIBED from the world
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Genuine Kellenic Truest Orthodox Traditionalist Church *of* America

Proverbs 31:13

« Reply #573 on: July 15, 2014, 12:49:17 AM »

Hopefully not someone like Yanni. *shudder*

kelly and I spend all our free time collecting pictures of Russian monarchs.  Its a thing we do.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

« Reply #574 on: July 15, 2014, 12:54:12 AM »

I was going to ask the same thing.  Huh

As for asking if it is uncommon, I would go as far as to say it's practically non-existent. I have never seen any instance of it in the many, many icons of this feast I have seen.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 12:56:48 AM by LBK » Logged
DeniseDenise
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #575 on: July 15, 2014, 12:56:02 AM »

I am now imagining an odd mash up of the maroon5 dude and ceelo green

Mor Ephrem
Hoplitarches

« Reply #576 on: July 15, 2014, 01:01:58 AM »

Please, not her.  We want Shakira. 

Antonis
OC.net guru

« Reply #577 on: July 15, 2014, 01:19:36 AM »

"This is my Son, with whom I am well pleased."

Mor Ephrem
Hoplitarches

« Reply #578 on: July 15, 2014, 01:23:24 AM »

Are you saying that those words are painted onto the icon? 

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

« Reply #579 on: July 15, 2014, 01:23:57 AM »

Words are not made of anything. God the Father remains invisible and bodiless.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 01:24:38 AM by LBK » Logged
Antonis
OC.net guru

« Reply #580 on: July 15, 2014, 01:27:02 AM »

Are you saying that those words are painted onto the icon? 
Yes, in Greek, in a small orb above the Holy Spirit descending as a dove.

Antonis
OC.net guru

« Reply #581 on: July 15, 2014, 01:27:29 AM »

And yet that wasn't the point.

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

« Reply #582 on: July 15, 2014, 01:30:24 AM »

It is very much the point. God the Father, as He has revealed Himself, remains invisible and bodiless. A voice has no form or shape, and it certainly doesn't look like a bearded old man.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 01:30:48 AM by LBK » Logged
Mor Ephrem
Hoplitarches

« Reply #583 on: July 15, 2014, 01:32:34 AM »

2.  The Spirit is not a dove by nature, but can be depicted as such in the Theophany icon because you say that it was in that particular form that He manifested "at that particular time and place".  Leaving aside the fact that it is not clear from the Gospels whether the Spirit manifested in the form of a dove or merely descended like a dove, what does this principle mean for other iconographic conventions that are not strictly limited to "particular time and place" (e.g., depictions of the child Jesus as a miniature thirty year old in the arms of his Mother or appearing as if entombed in the Nativity icon)?

Antonis
OC.net guru

« Reply #584 on: July 15, 2014, 01:34:51 AM »

It is very much the point. God the Father, as He has revealed Himself, remains invisible and bodiless. A voice has no form or shape, and it certainly doesn't look like a bearded old man.
Whose point, yours? I was making no point, merely commenting on Mor's post. I wasn't addressing you.

Tags: iconography 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: