Author Topic: Strange icons  (Read 591100 times)

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
Re: Strange icons
« Reply #945 on: March 08, 2015, 10:21:30 AM »
Not the same subject, at all, but just wait till you folks find the depictions of the Child Jesus holding his penis, which were quite prevalent for centuries in the West.

All male human baby do such; again, no biggie.
Gad Zooks, we got body parts all over the place! :)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 10:22:01 AM by LenInSebastopol »
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Offline Porter ODoran

• St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Toumarches
  • Monahos.net: "Lawful Evil"; OC.net: "Chaotic Evil"
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #946 on: March 08, 2015, 03:18:02 PM »
No, the images were meant to hold up for veneration the first shedding of blood of the Christ for us (namely, his circumcision). There were cults of the "first wound" as there would later be cults of the "sacred heart" and so forth.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Hypatos
  • I am the Provisional Supreme Church Authority
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #947 on: March 09, 2015, 05:54:30 PM »

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #948 on: March 09, 2015, 07:05:22 PM »
^ I like this guy, his hair is like mine (besides the white). This man is going places *notices he is a saint* told you.   :laugh:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 07:05:36 PM by Peacemaker »

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #949 on: March 09, 2015, 07:16:06 PM »
No, the images were meant to hold up for veneration the first shedding of blood of the Christ for us (namely, his circumcision). There were cults of the "first wound" as there would later be cults of the "sacred heart" and so forth.

Yep.
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #950 on: March 09, 2015, 07:45:05 PM »

Yep.

A generation or so earlier, the Austrian nun Agnes Blannbekin "led a life devoted to the foreskin of Jesus". The study says: "She was obsessed by the loss of blood and the pain which the redeemer had suffered during his circumcision. On one occasion, when she was moved to tears by the thought of this suffering, she suddenly felt the foreskin on her tongue.

Yeah, I could have gone my entire life without knowing that.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #951 on: March 19, 2015, 08:15:30 PM »
Is there a canon about showing the Theotokos within the Burning Bush?

I understand the theology behind it, but it seems like it could misleadingly imply that she was the one speaking to Moses through the bush.

Especially in this Coptic version where she's depicted without Christ, though I'm guessing the rules are different there. Do any OO know if this is a canonical image?

Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #952 on: March 22, 2015, 01:46:08 PM »
What is the Theotokos on Intercession frescoe in the left wearing? It looks not unlike epitrachelion and omophorion.

http://www.orthphoto.net/photo.php?id=83748&id_jezyk=1
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Pravoslavac

• BANNED for rules violations
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church
« Reply #953 on: March 23, 2015, 07:50:30 PM »
It says - saint new-martyr by NATO, Milica the child.

- Her fresco in monastery of Dormition of the Theotokos in city Trebinje, Herzegovina.

Milica Rakic is 3 years old girl killed by US air-force in her apartment during NATO aggression against Yugoslavia in 1999. She is considered to be canonized by the Serbian Orthodox Church.

According to the law of the Serbian Orthodox Church, a person to be canonized for saint needs to meet at least one of next criteria : martyr death, to gain cult among People, occurrence of a miracle, or saint's body to be blessed - incorrupt relics.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 07:58:05 PM by Pravoslavac »
"Bullets comrades! Not candies! Bullets will save us from the US imperialists!" - Comrade Kim Jong Il

Offline Porter ODoran

• St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Toumarches
  • Monahos.net: "Lawful Evil"; OC.net: "Chaotic Evil"
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #954 on: March 23, 2015, 11:51:04 PM »
She is considered to be canonized by the Serbian Orthodox Church.

According to the law of the Serbian Orthodox Church, a person to be canonized for saint needs to meet at least one of next criteria : martyr death, to gain cult among People, occurrence of a miracle, or saint's body to be blessed - incorrupt relics.

In other words, she's not "considered to be canonized" in any official way.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Pravoslavac

• High Elder
« Reply #955 on: March 24, 2015, 04:40:47 AM »
She is considered to be canonized by the Serbian Orthodox Church.

In other words, she's not "considered to be canonized" in any official way.

Bishop Atanasije Jeftic, known as the theologian of the Serbian Church, suggested her canonization.
"Bullets comrades! Not candies! Bullets will save us from the US imperialists!" - Comrade Kim Jong Il

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #956 on: March 24, 2015, 04:46:10 AM »
By all means please canonize her, her death was a tragedy. But please don't abuse her memory by using her as a club against NATO.

The Church needs to be above political squabbles and teach that war is a tragedy regardless of which side is "right."
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 04:46:27 AM by Volnutt »

Offline Pravoslavac

• High Elder
« Reply #957 on: March 24, 2015, 08:27:49 AM »
By all means please canonize her, her death was a tragedy. But please don't abuse her memory by using her as a club against NATO.

The Church needs to be above political squabbles and teach that war is a tragedy regardless of which side is "right."

We should demonize NATO. After all NATO is grave digger of Orthodox Christians around the world. Just as we demonized early Roman emperors for killing Christians.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #958 on: March 24, 2015, 08:48:26 AM »
We can demonize any group of killers, as they are not a respecter of life anywhere.
The NATO group does not specify killing Orthodox because they are Christians. It is not against the law to be so.
Though there are groups of killers that wish to kill Jews & Christians and different Muslims for such.

Lord, have mercy.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 08:49:11 AM by LenInSebastopol »

Offline Pravoslavac

• High Elder
« Reply #959 on: March 24, 2015, 09:02:31 AM »
We can demonize any group of killers, as they are not a respecter of life anywhere.
The NATO group does not specify killing Orthodox because they are Christians. It is not against the law to be so.
Though there are groups of killers that wish to kill Jews & Christians and different Muslims for such.

Lord, have mercy.

NATO's imperialist politics ruined lives of Orthodox Christians in Bosnia, Kosovo, Syria, Ukraine, if they could, they would burn Russia to the ground. I know their goal is not Orthodox Christianity, but they always end up destabilizing countries with large Orthodox population.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #960 on: March 24, 2015, 09:13:14 AM »

Lord, have mercy.

NATO's imperialist politics ruined lives of Orthodox Christians in Bosnia, Kosovo, Syria, Ukraine, if they could, they would burn Russia to the ground. I know their goal is not Orthodox Christianity, but they always end up destabilizing countries with large Orthodox population.

I like that POV and didn't think of it as you do!  Of course, as I understand it, there was "stuff" going on in those regions and NATO responded. It is not the case that they were peacefully minding their own business in a manner that brought joy to all inhabitants. It is also the case that if NATO disbanded then Russia would move into those regions and make many other lives problematic, no? Maybe you think YES, it would be wonderful if Russia moved into Poland, Ukraine, Latvia, Belarus, Estonia maybe Germany, France, and any place else her imperialistic leaders wished? Maybe so, but it's more than I think NOT.
HEY, no more, no politics. I forgot, in my passions. Basta!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 09:13:48 AM by LenInSebastopol »

Offline Pravoslavac

• High Elder
« Reply #961 on: March 24, 2015, 09:36:18 AM »

Lord, have mercy.

I like that POV and didn't think of it as you do!  Of course, as I understand it, there was "stuff" going on in those regions and NATO responded. It is not the case that they were peacefully minding their own business in a manner that brought joy to all inhabitants. It is also the case that if NATO disbanded then Russia would move into those regions and make many other lives problematic, no? Maybe you think YES, it would be wonderful if Russia moved into Poland, Ukraine, Latvia, Belarus, Estonia maybe Germany, France, and any place else her imperialistic leaders wished? Maybe so, but it's more than I think NOT.
HEY, no more, no politics. I forgot, in my passions. Basta!

Well it is either Russia or USA who move in to Poland. lol Russia is at least Slavic, just like Poland. And Russia is moving in only in to countries that have vast Russian population, unlike USA which moves in to Iraq or Vietnam which had none US citizens there. Basta!

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #962 on: March 24, 2015, 09:40:34 AM »
Knock off the politics.
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #963 on: March 24, 2015, 11:30:40 AM »
If only we put such passions into Icons, then maybe no strange ones would be on this thread.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #964 on: March 30, 2015, 11:59:59 AM »

Theotokos with North African Saints, in the background there is Russian Orthodox church in Rabat
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #965 on: March 30, 2015, 12:41:12 PM »
I don't think it's strange. It's one of the nicer ones on this thread.  :)
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #966 on: March 30, 2015, 03:31:57 PM »
I don't think it's strange. It's one of the nicer ones on this thread.  :)

Yeah, rather: not so common ;)
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Hypatos
« Reply #967 on: March 31, 2015, 07:06:23 PM »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #968 on: March 31, 2015, 07:25:42 PM »
Interesting, are those the four Gospel saints around Christ?
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #969 on: April 05, 2015, 06:47:36 PM »
I don't know if this is "strange", but can someone explain what the creature, where the river of fire seems to flow into its mouth, in this icon is supposed to symbolize?

Is that supposed to be a representation of Gehenna itself?
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #970 on: April 05, 2015, 07:08:02 PM »
Wow. Now that there is interesting.  :o

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #971 on: April 06, 2015, 10:14:42 AM »
From the website of the Finnish Orthodox Church. I have no idea who is depicted here.

I think it is Holy Sarah Kali, it's a gypsy popular saint, protectress of the romani people, allegedly Sara Kali was one of the women at the Calvary and friend of the Theotokos.

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #972 on: April 06, 2015, 10:40:23 AM »
St. Michael Archangel

Fr. Seraphim Rose

Unidentified

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #973 on: April 06, 2015, 12:12:55 PM »
That last one - St. Demetrios, maybe?

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #974 on: April 06, 2015, 12:33:42 PM »
Romanian icons painted by Elena Murariu

« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 12:37:08 PM by juliogb »

Offline dhinuus

• High Elder
« Reply #975 on: April 06, 2015, 04:17:23 PM »
Is there a canon about showing the Theotokos within the Burning Bush?

In the Syriac Orthodox 'shimo' (book of common prayer) you can see the following hymn in the sapro (morning prayers) of Tuesday.

sanyo haw daHzo mooshé b-Toor seenay.
lek hoo Soy-ar hwo bthulto qadeeshto.
sanyo roshem hwo l-gushmek qadeesho.
wabthulayk Tarfaw d-lo ethHarak hwaw.
`am halelooyah w-halelooyah.
w-nuro dabsanyo aloho d-bek shro.

Which is translated as:

The bush that Moses saw on the Mount Sinai
was symbolic of you, Holy Virgin.
The bush indicated your holy body
and the leaf unsinged, your virginity.
Halleluiah w-Halleluiah
and God Who dwelled in you by the fire on the bush.

You can listen to the hymn in Syriac at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c604MG996q8#t=00m39s

« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 04:31:01 PM by dhinuus »
NULL

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #976 on: April 06, 2015, 04:28:28 PM »
Oh I know the symbolism. It's nice.

It just seems strange to specifically paint her there as though she were there at the time as opposed to God speaking to Moses. But I guess it still works.

I don't know if this is "strange", but can someone explain what the creature, where the river of fire seems to flow into its mouth, in this icon is supposed to symbolize?

Is that supposed to be a representation of Gehenna itself?

I'm pretty sure it is, yeah.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #977 on: April 06, 2015, 04:30:03 PM »
St. Michael Archangel

I like it! It's fitting that a portrayal of an angel would be all abstract-ish.

The third icon looks like St. George to me.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #978 on: April 06, 2015, 04:31:27 PM »
Romanian icons painted by Elena Murariu

These are interesting, what are the stories behind them? :)

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #979 on: April 07, 2015, 07:05:58 AM »
I think it is somtheing related to the martyrdom of Constantine Brancoveanu and his family by ottoman turks.

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #980 on: April 07, 2015, 08:15:17 AM »
Another ethiopian icon

Georgian icons

St. Michael (quite similar with Garuda)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 08:17:31 AM by juliogb »

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #981 on: April 07, 2015, 08:26:46 AM »
Our Lady of the Gate of Dawn

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #982 on: April 07, 2015, 08:41:37 AM »
I think it is somtheing related to the martyrdom of Constantine Brancoveanu and his family by ottoman turks.

Thank you.

Offline rakovsky

• Toumarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #983 on: April 07, 2015, 10:47:48 AM »

Palestinian Graffiti on the Israelis' "Separation Wall"
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 10:48:37 AM by rakovsky »
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Hypatos
« Reply #984 on: April 14, 2015, 02:12:59 AM »

Offline lovesupreme

• OC.net guru
« Reply #985 on: April 14, 2015, 02:22:57 AM »
Talk about a 'Jesus fish'!

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #986 on: April 14, 2015, 02:48:56 PM »
Our Lady of the Gate of Dawn

As for me being Polish it's not strange at all, as along with the Częstochowska icon the Ostrobramska one is the most venerated by our nation ;)

That's amazing! Really "the sing of Jonah". Until now I've seen only something like this

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Hypatos
« Reply #987 on: April 17, 2015, 08:52:30 PM »

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #988 on: April 17, 2015, 09:03:12 PM »
^At least. ;D

Beautiful pictures.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #989 on: April 18, 2015, 01:12:03 AM »

Yep.

A generation or so earlier, the Austrian nun Agnes Blannbekin "led a life devoted to the foreskin of Jesus". The study says: "She was obsessed by the loss of blood and the pain which the redeemer had suffered during his circumcision. On one occasion, when she was moved to tears by the thought of this suffering, she suddenly felt the foreskin on her tongue.

Yeah, I could have gone my entire life without knowing that.

I can't believe in all our time together nick didn't regale you with this one of his many enthusiasms.