Author Topic: Strange icons  (Read 453128 times)

Offline Pravoslavac

• BANNED for rules violations
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church
Re: Strange icons
« Reply #855 on: December 30, 2014, 11:13:34 AM »

Icon of Jasenovac Martyrs. Icon depicts hundreds of thousands of Orthodox Christian martyrs killed by Ustashe and Roman-Catholic clergy in world war 2, Yugoslavia. Jasenovac was largest death camp.
"Bullets comrades! Not candies! Bullets will save us from the US imperialists!" - Comrade Kim Jong Il

Offline Anna.T

• † Servant of God †
  • OC.net guru
  • Κύριε, ἐλέησον!
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #856 on: December 30, 2014, 02:57:22 PM »

Saint Mark of Efes defending the Holy Faith against the arch-heretic of Rome.

On the script that the saint is holding, it is written "Run away from the papists like you run away from the snakes."

Maybe somebody can help me with this one, because I can't remember if I have ever heard a definite answer before. Is the depiction of saints trampling down heretics uncanonical? Because I seem to remember reading that the prober way of depicting heretics is with them having demons besides them.

Is it not strange that the heretic is holding keys?

I'm guessing he has also pierced Scripture with a sword. Though why the book is black?

But the keys still in his hand makes me wonder?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 02:58:02 PM by Anna.T »
Aγιος ὁ Θεός, Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός, Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος, ἐλέησον ἡμᾶς

Let us commit ourselves and one another and our whole life to Christ our God

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #857 on: December 30, 2014, 03:55:48 PM »
I've always been told using icons for polemical purposes like this is wrong.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #858 on: December 30, 2014, 03:58:48 PM »

Icon of Jasenovac Martyrs. Icon depicts hundreds of thousands of Orthodox Christian martyrs killed by Ustashe and Roman-Catholic clergy in world war 2, Yugoslavia. Jasenovac was largest death camp.
Holy Martyrs, pray for us!  :'(
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Anna.T

• † Servant of God †
  • OC.net guru
  • Κύριε, ἐλέησον!
« Reply #859 on: December 30, 2014, 06:29:07 PM »

I wondered about that too. I've never seen any, as I recall.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #860 on: December 30, 2014, 06:44:48 PM »

There's the delightful nuttiness of the add-on to the traditional Mystical Ark of Salvation icon to include the Pope, Luther, and international Jewry shooting at the Church.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
« Reply #861 on: December 30, 2014, 06:58:18 PM »

Saint Mark of Efes defending the Holy Faith against the arch-heretic of Rome.

On the script that the saint is holding, it is written "Run away from the papists like you run away from the snakes."

Maybe somebody can help me with this one, because I can't remember if I have ever heard a definite answer before. Is the depiction of saints trampling down heretics uncanonical? Because I seem to remember reading that the prober way of depicting heretics is with them having demons besides them.

This image is an angry propaganda piece, not an icon. It is no more suitable for veneration than the infamous "ark of salvation" painting which shows the "enemies of Orthodoxy" attempting to divert and destroy The Good Ship Orthodoxy.

The St Mark of Ephesus image has been discussed in another thread a few years ago, IIRC.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 06:59:20 PM by LBK »
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline Anna.T

• † Servant of God †
  • OC.net guru
  • Κύριε, ἐλέησον!
« Reply #862 on: December 30, 2014, 07:14:52 PM »

There's the delightful nuttiness of the add-on to the traditional Mystical Ark of Salvation icon to include the Pope, Luther, and international Jewry shooting at the Church.

Ah ..... Hmmmmm.

Not sure how to react to that. Should it include the many denominations of Protestantism? But in general, the Protestants I know are mostly not seeking to destroy the Church. They simply have never met her. Yet they profess Christ and seek after Him.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #863 on: December 30, 2014, 07:54:27 PM »
Folks might find this old post useful:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,11209.msg297730.html#msg297730

No, that icon should not be venerated. It is simply a polemical propaganda piece, promoting a particular ecclesiopolitical ideology. Some food for thought:

Iconography is, above all else, concerned with the revelation of God in Trinity: of the incarnation of the Son and Word of God which has allowed the sanctification of fallen creation (matter), including humanity (made in the image of God)**; of the signs and wonders of the Divine revelation in both the Old and New Testament periods; and, in its portrayal of the saints, their transfiguration from mere men and women into those who have attained deification, a "oneness with God" and full participation of the heavenly life with God and in God, through the conduct of their earthly lives and their steadfast witness to the true faith. They have become true icons and reflections of the Divine. The word godly is most apt to describe them.

(** St John of Damascus sums this up beautifully: "Of old, the incorporeal and uncircumscribed God was not depicted at all. But now that God has appeared in the flesh and lived among men, I make an image of God who can be seen. I do not worship matter, but I worship the Creator of matter, who through matter effected my salvation. I will not cease to venerate the matter through which my salvation has been effected.")

Secondly, in the same way that the saints have obliterated their passions to give themselves completely to God, icons must also reflect this dispassionate quality. Obvious displays of human emotions, even a “positive” one such as laughter, are considered to be manifestations of human passion, and therefore have no place in iconography. Christ’s kingdom is “not of this world” (John 18: 36), therefore the portrayal of saints in their spiritually transformed state must be dispassionate. This also applies to church singing and reading; the singers and readers are there to glorify God and serve the church by their efforts, not to self-aggrandize. Even the display of sorrow in the face of a saint or the Mother of God should be kept subtle, with the emotion conveyed with the eyes, not through histrionics.

Thirdly, there must be complete agreement between scripture, liturgical content (which represents the distillation of the doctrinal, dogmatic and theological position of the Church), and the pictorial content of an icon for any icon to be deemed canonical.

Hence there is no place for ugliness, anger, enmity, and other negative emotions in iconography. The purpose of an icon is to draw us closer to God. Of course, there are specific examples of didactic icons, such as Last Judgement and Ladder of Divine Ascent which feature fearsome dragon-like creatures swallowing unrepentant evildoers. The Resurrection icon shows the personification of sin and death bound in chains in the abyss. It may be said, therefore, if there is room for such portrayals in these canonical icons, then why object to the presence of the figures in the Ark of Salvation image?

I offer this reply: An icon is a material, tangible expression of the incarnate God. The iconographic portrayal of the saints as icons of Christ, then, should reflect the sanctity, dispassion and boundless compassionate mercy of Christ to those who repent of their sins. Do we not pray to the saints and the Mother of God to intercede on our behalf? Are we not exhorted to pray for our enemies, to love them, and not to hate them? Of all scripture passages on this theme, Matt. 5: 43-48 is perhaps the most useful and succinct:

“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so? Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.

We are also assured that God is Love, and that His love and mercy are available to all who seek Him in true faith. There are petitions in various Orthodox litanies which ask for the repentance and return to the true faith of sinners, apostates, and, yes, enemies. One which immediately comes to mind is "Let us pray for those who love us, and those who hate us", a petition in the litany sung towards the end of the Great Compline services of Great Lent where the Canon of St Andrew of Crete is sung.

There is the question of the iconographic portrayal of prophets and saints who denounced kings and princes. Such scenes are found in the smaller panels of a "life" icon of a saint or prophet (an icon which has a large central panel of the saint or prophet, surrounded by a series of smaller panels showing scenes of his or her life). Keeping to the dispassionate nature of icons, these scenes of rebuke of kings and princes (such as in icons of Prophet Elijah, and any number of OT and NT saints and righteous ones) show the saint standing before the errant ruler with a hand raised in rebuke, but nothing more. It is also significant that such scenes, almost without exception, are never used as icons in their own right.

it is not surprising that certain schismatic groups have favoured this so-called Ark of Salvation image as it reflects their particular ideology. This image suggests that those who are not Orthodox are somehow beyond repentance and redemption. Can we really agree with this as Orthodox Christians? The persecuting Pharisee Saul openly boasted of his zeal and success in persecuting Christians, yet, by the grace of God, became one of the Princes of the Apostles, a pillar of Orthodoxy. There are also innumerable converts to the Orthodox faith who have come from every religious background imaginable, including atheism, paganism and communism; many who have become saints, in times of old, and in our present day. The grace of God knows no bounds.

Iconography, as I have said before, must never be used for political or ideological purposes. To portray the non-Orthodox as a whole as being irredeemable and in league with demonic and evil forces to destroy Orthodoxy is a shameful debasement of iconography. I am reminded of a reply to a convert to Orthodoxy as to how he came to the conclusion that the Orthodox faith was the true faith: "The Soviet Union was capable of destroying anything. Yet, despite its immense power and resources, it could not destroy the Orthodox Church. So that was good enough for me." The gates of hell cannot prevail, indeed ...

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #864 on: December 30, 2014, 07:58:06 PM »
Thanks, LBK.

Offline Anna.T

• † Servant of God †
  • OC.net guru
  • Κύριε, ἐλέησον!
« Reply #865 on: December 30, 2014, 08:27:21 PM »

Offline Pravoslavac

• High Elder
« Reply #866 on: December 30, 2014, 08:36:56 PM »

Here is another one, saint Mark of Ephesus trampling the pope of Rome, with saint Justin Popovich (right) and saint bishop Nikolai Velimirovich (left) and Lord Jesus Christ above all.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 08:37:16 PM by Pravoslavac »
"Bullets comrades! Not candies! Bullets will save us from the US imperialists!" - Comrade Kim Jong Il

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #867 on: December 30, 2014, 09:48:33 PM »

Here is another one, saint Mark of Ephesus trampling the pope of Rome, with saint Justin Popovich (right) and saint bishop Nikolai Velimirovich (left) and Lord Jesus Christ above all.

It still doesn't make such imagery right or suitable for veneration. Iconography should never be corrupted by polemics or anger. The saying written between Sts Justin and Nikolai should not be there, either.

Offline Pravoslavac

• High Elder
« Reply #868 on: December 31, 2014, 02:36:25 AM »

It still doesn't make such imagery right or suitable for veneration. Iconography should never be corrupted by polemics or anger. The saying written between Sts Justin and Nikolai should not be there, either.

I think in days of dirty ecumenism business, we need few icons like this. It is reminder, not polemics or anger.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #869 on: December 31, 2014, 04:07:24 AM »

I think in days of dirty ecumenism business, we need few icons like this. It is reminder, not polemics or anger.

No, Pravoslavac, it is not. The image is angry and polemical. False beliefs and other "dirty business" contrary to Orthodoxy have always been around. Please go back and read reply #863. It explains why such images are not proper icons.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 04:07:55 AM by LBK »

Offline Pravoslavac

• High Elder
« Reply #870 on: December 31, 2014, 05:04:05 AM »

No, Pravoslavac, it is not. The image is angry and polemical. False beliefs and other "dirty business" contrary to Orthodoxy have always been around. Please go back and read reply #863. It explains why such images are not proper icons.

Saints are depicted on their icons together with their known achievements, saint Mark of Ephesus's achievement is victory over ecumenism and pope's plot. Saint George is depicted killing the dragon, meaning he defeated Roman torture, etc... Most saints of the 20th century were against ecumenism, clearly God has celebrated them. When the faith is defended, that is not anger, People are brainwashed that if someone is defending his faith, that he is full of hate.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #871 on: December 31, 2014, 05:26:43 AM »

Saints are depicted on their icons together with their known achievements, saint Mark of Ephesus's achievement is victory over ecumenism and pope's plot. Saint George is depicted killing the dragon, meaning he defeated Roman torture, etc... Most saints of the 20th century were against ecumenism, clearly God has celebrated them. When the faith is defended, that is not anger, People are brainwashed that if someone is defending his faith, that he is full of hate.

There is a world of difference between the iconography of Sts George, St Demetrius, and other saints who triumphed over evil, and the picture you posted, which speaks of anger and the irredeemability of those in the Roman Catholic church. Are you saying that Roman Catholics are beyond salvation, simply because they are Roman Catholics?

Offline Pravoslavac

• High Elder
« Reply #872 on: December 31, 2014, 06:09:05 AM »

There is a world of difference between the iconography of Sts George, St Demetrius, and other saints who triumphed over evil, and the picture you posted, which speaks of anger and the irredeemability of those in the Roman Catholic church. Are you saying that Roman Catholics are beyond salvation, simply because they are Roman Catholics?

Every heresy is evil, so is Roman-Catholic heresy. And what happens to un-Orthodox and how are they saved, we don't know. God is merciful.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #873 on: December 31, 2014, 06:46:56 AM »
Heresy is indeed evil, but angry, polemical paintings which look like icons are not the proper way to fight it.

And what happens to un-Orthodox and how are they saved, we don't know. God is merciful.

I, and I'm sure, most others here, completely agree with this.

So how can you justify an "icon" which shows Roman Catholics as cursed and about to be cast into hell? Those who paint such "icons" are putting themselves as the judges of the Roman Catholics as if they know how God will judge them. Can you now see why such paintings are false icons?

Offline Pravoslavac

• High Elder
« Reply #874 on: December 31, 2014, 06:55:28 AM »
Heresy is indeed evil, but angry, polemical paintings which look like icons are not the proper way to fight it.

And what happens to un-Orthodox and how are they saved, we don't know. God is merciful.

So how can you justify an "icon" which shows Roman Catholics as cursed and about to be cast into hell? Those who paint such "icons" are putting themselves as the judges of the Roman Catholics as if they know how God will judge them. Can you now see why such paintings are false icons?

What do you think, what happened to all those heretics that were creating schisms and spreading heresies, the heretics that were defeated at Ecumenical Councils? Are they going to end up in heaven? And when pope is painted that he is about to be cast into hell, that also means his heresy does that too.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #875 on: December 31, 2014, 08:42:35 AM »

What do you think, what happened to all those heretics that were creating schisms and spreading heresies, the heretics that were defeated at Ecumenical Councils? Are they going to end up in heaven? And when pope is painted that he is about to be cast into hell, that also means his heresy does that too.

You haven't read post #863 on this page, have you? If you haven't, please go and read it again. Carefully.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #876 on: December 31, 2014, 01:10:48 PM »
I agree that showing the Pope being cast into Hell is too much, but the second image doesn't do that

Also, there's some pretty harsh imprecation against entire nations in the Psalms and Prophets. The Hymns of Holy Saturday also turn on the blast furnace against Judas and "the Jews" (however that's construed).

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:15:08 PM by Volnutt »

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #877 on: December 31, 2014, 01:15:58 PM »
This particular image doesn't show the Pope being cast into Hell.

Also, there's some pretty harsh imprecation against entire nations in the Psalms and Prophets. The Hymns of Holy Saturday also turn on the blast furnace against Judas and "the Jews" (however that's construed).

The hymns of Holy Week might treat the Sanhedrin and Judas harshly, but never do they openly condemn them as beyond redemption. Their redemption or otherwise is in God's hands, not ours. By contrast, the painters of images such as the "ark of salvation" and the ones posted by Pravoslavac have already passed judgement on the RCC.

On "entire nations" being condemned in the OT, a careful look at the Great Canon of St Andrew of Crete is quite instructive.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #878 on: December 31, 2014, 01:18:36 PM »
I agree that showing the Pope being cast into Hell is too much, but the second image doesn't do that

Since icons are supposed to be windows into eternity, the implication (probably not one the artist was aware of) would be that the pope depicted is eternally underfoot (yes, probably in hell).
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #879 on: January 09, 2015, 05:23:03 AM »
There is an offensive Ethiopian ikon from the 14th century of the Virgin beating Jesus.
http://www.mybestcv.co.il/TextPage_EN.aspx?ID=10073843
It's heretical because Jesus was sinless and thus wouldn't be beaten by the Virgin unless it was her own sin to do so. The web page claims that there are gnostic or apocryphal stories of her doing this.

The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #880 on: January 09, 2015, 05:44:59 AM »
This particular image doesn't show the Pope being cast into Hell.

The hymns of Holy Week might treat the Sanhedrin and Judas harshly, but never do they openly condemn them as beyond redemption. Their redemption or otherwise is in God's hands, not ours. By contrast, the painters of images such as the "ark of salvation" and the ones posted by Pravoslavac have already passed judgement on the RCC.

On "entire nations" being condemned in the OT, a careful look at the Great Canon of St Andrew of Crete is quite instructive.
Ok.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #881 on: January 28, 2015, 01:34:58 PM »
Quite brutal
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #882 on: January 28, 2015, 01:40:14 PM »
What do the words say, please?  ???
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #883 on: January 28, 2015, 01:46:05 PM »
The martyrdom of st. priest-martyr Theodore (страдање светог свештеномученика Теодора)
More about him in English here
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #884 on: January 28, 2015, 01:47:44 PM »
The martyrdom of st. priest-martyr Theodore (страдање светог свештеномученика Теодора)
More about him in English here

Lord have mercy.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: In Hell I'll be in good company
« Reply #885 on: January 29, 2015, 01:39:22 AM »
Yeah, that icon just makes me want to hate Turks.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #886 on: January 29, 2015, 01:59:52 AM »
Yeah, that icon just makes me want to hate Turks.

That's one reason why that image should only be used as part of a series of small panels of scenes of the saint's life, surrounding a central panel of the saint in frontal pose. Such images should not be icons in their own right. The focus should be on the saint, not the inflaming of passions at the sight of a graphic rendition of his martyrdom.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to FOCOF
« Reply #887 on: February 08, 2015, 03:32:34 PM »

Offline Joha

• High Elder
  • Κύριε, σῶσόν με! Κύριε, ἐλέησον!
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #888 on: February 08, 2015, 03:51:35 PM »

Someone lifted "pimp my ride" to a whole different level.
Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ
Psalm 57:2 I will cry out to God Most High, To God who performs all things for me.
You're big :P
The art of cherry picking

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #889 on: February 09, 2015, 02:17:36 AM »

Is this real? Do you have any more information about it? Very disturbing.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #890 on: February 09, 2015, 02:33:23 AM »
Looks like a Mirage 2000 and if the roundel is any indication, it's either Greece's or El Salvador's air force; I'm thinking Greece.  But it looks photo-shopped.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #891 on: February 09, 2015, 04:00:21 AM »

Is this real? Do you have any more information about it? Very disturbing.

Selam

I call Photoshop.

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #892 on: February 09, 2015, 08:01:24 AM »
It could be real if it's a Mirage 2000.  The Hellenic Airforce has around 50ish of them, along with over a hundred F-16 Fighting Falcons and 34 F4 Phantoms (surprising to see someone still flying those). And if anyone would paint an icon of St. George on the dorsal side of a Mirage, it would be the Greeks.  The Russians might do the same thing but on a MiG or a Sukhoi.  Love those Soviet aircraft, especially the airliners.  And especially the Tu-114, the fastest and largest four engined turboprop airliner ever made, sharing a wing with the Tu-95 bear and having a 450 MPH cruising speed.  That's fast enough to compete with jets, which are only a hundred MPH faster on average (excepting the 747, which can cruise at 695 mph).  Aeroflot and Japan Air Lines used to fly a joint Moscow - Tokyo nonstop service on the Tu-114; would that I could travel back in time and experience THAT!  And unlike most Soviet airlines, AFAIK the Tu-114 never had a fatal accident, probably because the seven man crew, navigation dome and parts commonality with the Tu-95 Bear, which is still the Russians frontline strategic nuclear bomber, made pilot error, navigation error and maintenance errors less common, due to crew sharing with the Soviet Airforce. 

It's definitelt not the El Salvadorean Airforce, which makes sense given that for them to paint a Byzantine icon on their planes would be...unexpected, and the closest thing they have to a Mirage 2000 fighter jet is the Cessna A-37 jet trainer/light attack aircraft.  But given the Syriac Orthodox Church picking up nearly a million Guatemalans, we would be unwise to discount the possibility of Central America becoming a major mission field for the Orthodox, given the declining popularity of the Roman Catholics in the region.

But I find nothing disturbing about painting an icon of St. George slaying the dragon, or St. Michael the Archangel for that matter, on the underside of fighter jets of a predominantly Orthodox nation. After all, St. Athanasius insisted that military service was honorable.

Now for my contribution to the thread, I present the source for my own icon of St. Athanasius:

http://users.stlcc.edu/mfuller/marmusaapsepaintings.html

Sadly these have become "strange" in the sense of exceptional or unusual, and that's due to the mass iconoclasm the Syriac Orthodox have suffered since the Islamic conquest of their homeland.  Also notice how the frescoes were defaced to remove those not recognized as saints by the Catholics after the schism caused that monastery to fall into their hands, in a further blow to Syriac Orthodox liturgical heritage.  But what survives is priceless.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline wgw

• Taxiarches
« Reply #893 on: February 09, 2015, 08:31:14 AM »
By the way I agree entirely with LBK that the icons showing the Pope going to Hell, or being trampled on by Mark of Ephesus, or the Ark of Salvation with anti - Orthodox forces outside, are inappropriate.

Call me daft however but where were the Jews represented in the Ark of Salvation icon?  I saw Luther, the Pope, Julian the Apostate, attacking rulers,,the new age,mand two labels I couldn't read, one by a bishop in Orthodox vestments (perhaps an Eastern Catholic, Moscow Patriarchate bishop if this was from ROCOR pre-2006, or an ecumenist?) but I don't see any stereotypical jews in Haredi street attire or in prayer shawls, kippas and tefillin, with some Tzitzit visible, so if there is anti-Semitism in that icon, I am not seeing it explicitly but implicitly.  But granted some of the labels are too obscured to read properly and you might be noticing some imagery I've overlooked.

Offline Irish Melkite

• Information Mongeror
  • OC.net guru
    • Byzantine Forum
« Reply #894 on: February 10, 2015, 01:11:31 AM »
Also notice how the frescoes were defaced to remove those not recognized as saints by the Catholics after the schism caused that monastery to fall into their hands,

Let's try and stick to fact. Since the 'defaced' image third from left in the first photo is St John Chrysostom, its condition wouldn't seem to fit your hypothesis. To say nothing of the Theotokos and the infant Jesus.

Many years,

Neil
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 01:13:03 AM by Irish Melkite »
"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory

Offline wgw

• Taxiarches
« Reply #895 on: February 10, 2015, 01:56:56 AM »
Sorry, my mistake.  I read elsewhere on the net that images of Jacob of Sarugh and Severus, for example, were defaced.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #896 on: February 10, 2015, 07:29:21 AM »
Sorry, my mistake.  I read elsewhere on the net that images of Jacob of Sarugh and Severus, for example, were defaced.

Not everything you read on the internet is true.  :police:

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #897 on: February 14, 2015, 07:01:56 AM »

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #898 on: February 14, 2015, 08:08:47 AM »

Why do you think this one is strange, hecma?  ???

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #899 on: February 14, 2015, 08:11:14 AM »

Why do you think this one is strange, hecma?  ???

The weird square and hexagon with a sigma in the middle.  It's not a watermark to prevent people from printing it.  If it's a logo, it's really weird to do it on the icon.