OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 12:23:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Strange icons  (Read 37354 times) Average Rating: 0
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #675 on: July 17, 2014, 07:18:09 PM »

The robe is wrapped around both Christ and the Theotokos?

I see His head, hand, and feet.

It is odd.

The description I included pretty much says that it's of Christ's removal from the cross. Beyond that I'm not entirely sure.

What an addition to my schlock file! The Salvador Dali description suits it perfectly. It's just as weird and disturbing as the triple-headed Trinities, as well as being way, way off theologically.
DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

Faith: Catechumen no more!
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #676 on: July 17, 2014, 07:24:04 PM »

It's like a levitation magic routine!

Please secure your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers.
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #677 on: July 17, 2014, 07:42:40 PM »

It's like a levitation magic routine!

My thought as well ....  Shocked Tongue Cheesy
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy.

« Reply #678 on: July 17, 2014, 08:00:15 PM »

I imagine an accurate name for it would be something like "The Pieta Both Crucified and Enthroned".

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #679 on: July 17, 2014, 08:02:45 PM »

I imagine an accurate name for it would be something like "The Pieta Both Crucified and Enthroned".

It's not worth such dignity ....
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 08:03:22 PM by LBK » Logged
DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

« Reply #680 on: July 17, 2014, 08:37:11 PM »

With zero disrespect (or at least none more than then She is suffering in this icon already)

may I suggest she appears to be sneaking Our Lord into the cinema, under her overly large cloak?

"Our Lady of the one ticket-two entries", comes to mind.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 08:37:40 PM by DeniseDenise » Logged

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #681 on: July 20, 2014, 12:07:51 AM »

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #682 on: July 20, 2014, 12:14:03 AM »

The Matrioshka doll "icon". It's the equivalent of the equally uncanonical Paternity. It has the added bonus of the mother of St Anna standing behind her daughter. Most versions I've seen of this schlock omit her.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #683 on: July 20, 2014, 01:43:37 AM »

Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #684 on: July 20, 2014, 02:54:23 AM »

Have a version of this in my house. They have brought much consolation to the people around me.

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #685 on: July 20, 2014, 06:29:51 AM »

This is either a segment from the icon of All Saints, or of the Last Judgement. The inscription on the right reads [All] the saints entering Paradise. Some of the saints are easily identifiable, including Apostles Peter and Paul, and Cyril of Alexandria. The seraph guarding the entrance to Paradise has raised his swords to allow their passage.

Paradise is represented by the walled garden (a place of light, a place of green pasture, a place of refreshment, whence pain, grief and sighing have fled away, as funeral and memorial hymns say), in which can be seen Abraham with the souls of the righteous in his bosom, the crucified thief who confessed Christ, and the Mother of God.
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #686 on: July 20, 2014, 09:22:26 AM »

Have a version of this in my house. They have brought much consolation to the people around me.

Bad theology is bad theology, no matter how you slice it.  Tongue
Anna.T
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

Lord have mercy! Κύριε, ἐλέησον!

« Reply #687 on: July 20, 2014, 07:03:11 PM »

The Matrioshka doll "icon". It's the equivalent of the equally uncanonical Paternity. It has the added bonus of the mother of St Anna standing behind her daughter. Most versions I've seen of this schlock omit her.

Does that mean that the icons that show St. Anna, the Theotokos, and Christ in a similar manner are bad icons?

Christ is in our midst!

My replies should not be taken as representing Orthodox teaching - I am only just learning myself.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #688 on: July 20, 2014, 07:22:56 PM »

Yes, I'm afraid.
kelly
Unsubscribing from this planet
OC.net guru

« Reply #689 on: July 20, 2014, 07:39:18 PM »

Is the woman all the way up top supposed to be St. Anna's mother? What is her name?

I heard that Mor Ephrem is addicted to cocaine. Pass it on.

Awed by the beauty of perceptivity
And the exceeding sassiness of your commentary
OC.net stood amazed and cried to thee
Oh most wise Kelly
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #690 on: July 20, 2014, 07:44:21 PM »

Is the woman all the way up top supposed to be St. Anna's mother? What is her name?

Yes, that woman is supposed to be St Anna's mother. The inscription reads "St Maria, Foremother (grandmother) of the Mother of God".

What needs to be remembered is that any reference to the mother of St Anna is practically absent in Orthodox tradition, and there is nothing I have found in sources that she is indeed a saint. No feast date, nothing.
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #691 on: July 20, 2014, 07:49:54 PM »

I'll add the following about that image: Just as the uncanonical Paternity image paints a false Trinitarian theology, in not only showing God the Father in a form which He has never been revealed, but speaking of an inequality of the three Persons, the Maternity image expresses the quasi-trinitarian idea of a "Mother, Daughter, Holy Grand-daughter".
kelly
OC.net guru

« Reply #692 on: July 20, 2014, 08:12:14 PM »

Okay, I thought my Google-fu was broken because I wasn't finding any reference to her either.

I find the fact that they just made up a name for her to be stranger than depicting her.

Oh most wise Kelly
DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

« Reply #693 on: July 20, 2014, 08:13:14 PM »

Okay, I thought my Google-fu was broken because I wasn't finding any reference to her either.

I find the fact that they just made up a name for her to be stranger than depicting her.

if in doubt....all females are Mary...all males are Joseph

Mor Ephrem
Hoplitarches

« Reply #694 on: July 21, 2014, 07:27:33 PM »

What on earth is this?

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #695 on: July 21, 2014, 07:28:29 PM »

Is it out of Revelation, maybe?  Huh

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Antonis
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

« Reply #696 on: July 21, 2014, 07:39:33 PM »

From an image search:

http://www.macdougallauction.com/Indexx1211.asp?id=524&lx=a

*524.  A RARE ICON OF "THE PURE SOUL"  

NORTHERN RUSSIA, END OF THE 17TH TO BEGINNING OF THE 18TH CENTURY

Allegorical depictions of Pure and Sinful Souls are known in Russian art from the latter half of the 16th century, often in illustrated manuscripts commemorating the dead (necrologies). Judging from the unusual white background, the artist replicated a miniature from a book.

The Pure Soul is depicted on the left as the Virgin in real attire and wearing a crown adorned with flowers. To her right is a lion (anger), a serpent (sin) and on the right, squatting naked in a cave, is the devil, symbolising the sinful soul. Christ enthroned in heaven above, awaits the worship of the Pure Soul and Guardian Angel. At the centre is the Sun with a human face and the border texts explain what is depicted.

In the 18th-19th centuries, edifying works about the Pure and Sinful Soul were in demand amongst Old Believers, both icons and printed sheets incorporated texts from either a necrology or the Blessed Monk Dorotheus's Thirty Great and Original Virtues, which formed part of the Tsvetnik (Flower-bed), a book widely popular with Old Believers. It is in the latter where the deep meaning of this edifying subject finds its fullest expression: “Human purity attaches man to God, and the purity of God dwells in man” (Tsvetnik of the Blessed Monk Dorotheus, Grodno, 1790, p. 187).

An important distinction of this icon is that the detailed border inscriptions bear no relation to either literary sources. Addressing the viewer — an extremely rare feature in an icon — the lower border reads: “See, O man, the parable of life painted here: if thou wilt ascend to the heavenly kingdom, then preserve thy purity of soul, otherwise thou shalt suffer eternal torment”.

Given the rarity of the subject and the detailed, original text, this icon is of considerable interest and belongs to a particular edifying type of Old Believer icon painting.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 07:40:05 PM by Antonis » Logged

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #697 on: July 21, 2014, 07:40:37 PM »

It is beautiful.

If you have any concerns, ask your priest. Ignore LBK.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #698 on: July 21, 2014, 07:42:57 PM »

From an image search:

Allegorical depictions of Pure and Sinful Souls are known in Russian art from the latter half of the 16th century, often in illustrated manuscripts commemorating the dead (necrologies). Judging from the unusual white background, the artist replicated a miniature from a book.

The Pure Soul is depicted on the left as the Virgin in real attire and wearing a crown adorned with flowers. To her right is a lion (anger), a serpent (sin) and on the right, squatting naked in a cave, is the devil, symbolising the sinful soul. Christ enthroned in heaven above, awaits the worship of the Pure Soul and Guardian Angel. At the centre is the Sun with a human face and the border texts explain what is depicted.

In the 18th-19th centuries, edifying works about the Pure and Sinful Soul were in demand amongst Old Believers, both icons and printed sheets incorporated texts from either a necrology or the Blessed Monk Dorotheus's Thirty Great and Original Virtues, which formed part of the Tsvetnik (Flower-bed), a book widely popular with Old Believers. It is in the latter where the deep meaning of this edifying subject finds its fullest expression: “Human purity attaches man to God, and the purity of God dwells in man” (Tsvetnik of the Blessed Monk Dorotheus, Grodno, 1790, p. 187).

An important distinction of this icon is that the detailed border inscriptions bear no relation to either literary sources. Addressing the viewer — an extremely rare feature in an icon — the lower border reads: “See, O man, the parable of life painted here: if thou wilt ascend to the heavenly kingdom, then preserve thy purity of soul, otherwise thou shalt suffer eternal torment”.

Given the rarity of the subject and the detailed, original text, this icon is of considerable interest and belongs to a particular edifying type of Old Believer icon painting.

Thank you, Antonis.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Antonis
OC.net guru

« Reply #699 on: July 21, 2014, 07:44:02 PM »

It is beautiful.

Funny you say that, I received it from our presbytera.  Wink

Antonis
OC.net guru

« Reply #700 on: July 21, 2014, 07:45:01 PM »

From an image search:

Thank you, Antonis.
It seems that it is not strictly an "icon" as many of us would understand it, but an illustration in an iconographic style.

LBK
Merarches

« Reply #701 on: July 21, 2014, 07:45:31 PM »

Such images were common in Russia between the 16th and 19th centuries. Some pretty weird stuff exists from then. Unfortunately, they are unsuitable for veneration, as they are imaginative and allegorical. At best, they could be seen as didactic.
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #702 on: July 21, 2014, 07:47:54 PM »

It is beautiful.

Beauty alone does not make an icon proper. A beautiful icon which does not express what the Church teaches and believes is no icon at all. The Schlock Icons thread is full of "beautiful" images which are theologically rubbish.
Antonis
OC.net guru

« Reply #703 on: July 21, 2014, 07:48:56 PM »

It is beautiful.

Beauty alone does not make an icon proper. A beautiful icon which does not express what the Church teaches and believes is no icon at all. The Schlock Icons thread is full of "beautiful" images which are theologically rubbish.
You are drawing a connection Maria has not made that beauty=canonicity. She merely said it was beautiful and told me to ask the advice of my priest.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 07:49:25 PM by Antonis » Logged

LBK
Merarches

« Reply #704 on: July 21, 2014, 07:54:04 PM »

It is beautiful.

You are drawing a connection Maria has not made that beauty=canonicity. She merely said it was beautiful and told me to ask the advice of my priest.

She also stated "ignore LBK". Yet, not so long ago, she sought my advice on an icon she was after. She can't have it both ways.  police
Antonis
OC.net guru

« Reply #705 on: July 21, 2014, 07:55:34 PM »

It is beautiful.

She also stated "ignore LBK". Yet, not so long ago, she sought my advice on an icon she was after. She can't have it both ways.  police
If you're anything like the saints you can have a good understanding of theology and still be wrong sometimes.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #706 on: July 21, 2014, 07:57:59 PM »

It is beautiful.

If you're anything like the saints you can have a good understanding of theology and still be wrong sometimes.

Exactly. Even saints are not infallible. Christ is the only sinless One.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #707 on: July 21, 2014, 08:01:34 PM »

It is beautiful.

She also stated "ignore LBK". Yet, not so long ago, she sought my advice on an icon she was after. She can't have it both ways.  police

Antonis and Maria, I would be delighted if you could provide us all with a thorough analysis of the theology of that image, and how it conforms with the liturgical, patristic and doctrinal traditions of the Church.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 08:02:07 PM by LBK » Logged
Antonis
OC.net guru

« Reply #708 on: July 21, 2014, 08:49:33 PM »

I would say the burden of proof lies with you, as my spiritual father, the abbots of at least two monasteries, and at least two Orthodox metropolitans here in America accept it as perfectly fine.

And if you're going to do so, I would ask that you please cite sources, instead of long soliloquies that we are just supposed to accept because you are you.

Mor Ephrem
Hoplitarches

« Reply #709 on: July 21, 2014, 08:52:15 PM »

Uh oh, there's a little too much joy here:

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
kelly
OC.net guru

« Reply #710 on: July 21, 2014, 08:54:11 PM »

I do not like that one.

Oh most wise Kelly
Antonis
OC.net guru

« Reply #711 on: July 21, 2014, 09:01:29 PM »

It obeys the canonical rule of "St Joseph's restraining order," though.

kelly
OC.net guru

« Reply #712 on: July 21, 2014, 09:04:44 PM »

Oh most wise Kelly
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #713 on: July 21, 2014, 10:14:07 PM »

LOL

The court must have also ordered that he look sad every time he's around Jesus.
Antonis
OC.net guru

« Reply #714 on: July 21, 2014, 10:27:15 PM »

LOL

The court must have also ordered that he look sad every time he's around Jesus.
Mustn't think he's trying to upstage the Theotokos!  police

LBK
Merarches

« Reply #715 on: July 22, 2014, 12:23:43 AM »

I would say the burden of proof lies with you, as my spiritual father, the abbots of at least two monasteries, and at least two Orthodox metropolitans here in America accept it as perfectly fine.

And if you're going to do so, I would ask that you please cite sources, instead of long soliloquies that we are just supposed to accept because you are you.

That's not an answer to my question. I do not speak from myself, but from the traditions of the Church, and I do provide sources from Tradition to back what I write. If I am so wrong in my criticism of this image, then, please enlighten us all with the reasons why it is suitable for veneration.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #716 on: July 22, 2014, 02:35:30 AM »

I agree. It is not sufficient to read only what LBK posts, we need her citations so that we know she has done the research if she is going to present herself as the OC.net expert on iconography.  By they way, how many Icons has LBK written?

The icon that Antonis has posted is perfectly canonical showing the ancestors of Christ. These were holy women. If we were to imitate the lives of these women, there would not be less flame throwing or baiting going on.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #717 on: July 22, 2014, 02:36:42 AM »

That's not an answer to my question. I do not speak from myself, but from the traditions of the Church, and I do provide sources from Tradition to back what I write. If I am so wrong in my criticism of this image, then, please enlighten us all with the reasons why it is suitable for veneration.

The burden of proof falls on you, as you were the one who said it was not canonical.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #718 on: July 22, 2014, 02:42:52 AM »

I agree. It is not sufficient to read only what LBK posts, we need her citations so that we know she has done the research if she is going to present herself as the OC.net expert on iconography.  By they way, how many Icons has LBK written?

The icon that Antonis has posted is perfectly canonical showing the ancestors of Christ. These were holy women. If we were to imitate the lives of these women, there would not be less flame throwing or baiting going on.

How many icons have you painted, Maria? By what liturgical, patristic, historical, and doctrinal authority do you claim the image is "perfectly canonical"?
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #719 on: July 22, 2014, 02:47:02 AM »

I agree. It is not sufficient to read only what LBK posts, we need her citations so that we know she has done the research if she is going to present herself as the OC.net expert on iconography.  By they way, how many Icons has LBK written?

How many icons have you painted, Maria? By what liturgical, patristic, historical, and doctrinal authority do you claim the image is "perfectly canonical"?

Where is your proof, LBK? You falsely claimed it was not canonical when Antonio's Presbytera gifted it to him.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 02:47:47 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Tags: iconography 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: