OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 04:27:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Strange icons  (Read 37307 times) Average Rating: 0
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #450 on: January 17, 2014, 07:13:23 PM »

I realize this isn't really an icon, but what would the use for this be other than perhaps decoration?

It's supposed to represent the footprint left behind after the apparition of Our Lady of Pochaev. Strange.

Many years,

Neil 

It is indeed representing the miraculous footprint at Pochaev. It would have been far better to have a properPochaevskaya icon which features the footprint (many of them do).

The footprint of the Theotokos? Smiley

I have to learn more about this (and since I've gotten 4 weeks worth of algebra homework done in one week, I've earned it ^_^ )

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #451 on: February 07, 2014, 11:12:47 PM »

Found a picture of this Western icon, and I noticed it has oval-shaped halos for Jesus and the Theotokos, but a normal one for St. Joseph. This isn't the first time I've seen oval-shaped halos in more ancient icons. What's up with them?

« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 11:13:08 PM by Nephi » Logged
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #452 on: February 08, 2014, 05:04:28 AM »

Found a picture of this Western icon, and I noticed it has oval-shaped halos for Jesus and the Theotokos, but a normal one for St. Joseph. This isn't the first time I've seen oval-shaped halos in more ancient icons. What's up with them?

This illumination looks like it's from about the 12th century. It didn't take long after this, at the dawn of the Renaissance at the turn of the following century for haloes to be shown as flat disks or transparent ovals, with their centers over the crown of the saint's head.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 05:04:49 AM by LBK » Logged
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #453 on: February 08, 2014, 12:54:42 PM »

This illumination looks like it's from about the 12th century. It didn't take long after this, at the dawn of the Renaissance at the turn of the following century for haloes to be shown as flat disks or transparent ovals, with their centers over the crown of the saint's head.

So was there any specific reason behind their using both oval halos and round halos at the same time?
Velsigne
Elder

« Reply #454 on: February 08, 2014, 01:19:08 PM »

When I saved this icon of the Theotokos from an online image, I noticed that the eyes are two different colors.

What does this mean?  I've never noticed this in icons before.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #455 on: February 08, 2014, 02:53:50 PM »

Wow. That's interesting. Was it painted by Bowie Cat?

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #456 on: February 08, 2014, 02:58:40 PM »

When I saved this icon of the Theotokos from an online image, I noticed that the eyes are two different colors.

Oh, She is beautiful.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #457 on: February 08, 2014, 07:17:06 PM »

The eyes are not two different colors. There is a rectangular patch of light haze over the eye on the viewer's right (the Virgin's left) which gives a bluish tinge to the area covered by the haze. The hazy patch is most likely a reflection in the glass covering the icon (such as a distant window), which the photograph picked up.

Velsigne
Elder

« Reply #458 on: February 09, 2014, 02:13:02 AM »

Thanks!  Now I can see it.   Smiley
Velsigne
Elder

« Reply #459 on: February 09, 2014, 02:15:05 AM »

Oh, She is beautiful.

Yes, it's from that nice thread you started about the nuns.  Some wonderful photos there.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #460 on: February 14, 2014, 03:22:21 PM »

Macrame icons.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #461 on: February 14, 2014, 10:09:02 PM »

^I actually like those. Especially the first two, although the first is better.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #462 on: February 14, 2014, 10:14:41 PM »

I liked them, too.  Wink

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #463 on: February 14, 2014, 10:24:04 PM »

I liked the macramé icons.  My mom did macramé in the 1970s and made macramé purses, plant hangers, owl wall hangings and even a big macramé thunderbird.  But nothing like the icons.  That is some serious skill there.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #464 on: February 14, 2014, 10:44:14 PM »

I liked the macramé icons.  My mom did macramé in the 1970s and made macramé purses, plant hangers, owl wall hangings and even a big macramé thunderbird.  But nothing like the icons.  That is some serious skill there.

Indeed.

Those macramé icons are all beautiful.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #465 on: February 24, 2014, 10:34:09 AM »

This image was produced for the purpose of using it as part of an anti-abortion campaign. Icons must never be used to promote social or political causes, even if such causes are good ones. God is above and beyond politics, and to turn a holy image into a sociopolitical mascot is nothing short of shameful.  Angry Angry Angry

Quite similar, by painted by a Georgian Orthodox:

LBK, what do you think about this one?

And some other Georgian icons. Maybe not so strange, just a bit unusual (well, most of Georgian icons I find unusual, probably becasue I'm not used to them):

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #466 on: February 24, 2014, 05:15:40 PM »

Quite similar, by painted by a Georgian Orthodox:

LBK, what do you think about this one?

This is a version of the icon The Word Made Flesh, which is associated in some parts of the Orthodox world with helping in childbirth. It is a variation of the well-known icon Of the Sign (Platytera, Znamenniye).

The "original" was of western origin, and showed the Mother of God bare-headed, with her hair draped over her shoulders. In this Georgian version, she is shown in her conventional garments, as she should be, though it would have been good to include the stars of ever-virginity.  Sad
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #467 on: February 24, 2014, 05:19:32 PM »

And some other Georgian icons. Maybe not so strange, just a bit unusual (well, most of Georgian icons I find unusual, probably becasue I'm not used to them):

These show assemblies of saints, the first appears to show saints of a particular monastery (I can't read Georgian inscriptions); the second of a group of martyrs from a particular place. Similar icons can be found in other Orthodox traditions.  Smiley
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #468 on: March 01, 2014, 11:14:55 PM »

Of a miracle of St. Menas.

Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #469 on: March 13, 2014, 01:04:00 AM »

It seems one of the faces was removed/damaged and then was replaced with a cut out from another icon (painted in an entirely different style)?

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

Faith: Catechumen no more!
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #470 on: March 13, 2014, 01:05:20 AM »

ancient photoshop!

Please secure your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers.
Antonis
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

« Reply #471 on: March 13, 2014, 01:08:11 AM »

The ancients need to update their software and restart their computers.

Antonis
OC.net guru

« Reply #472 on: March 13, 2014, 01:10:13 AM »

I also like the flagon and assorted foods.  Tongue

LBK
Merarches

« Reply #473 on: March 13, 2014, 01:14:25 AM »

It seems one of the faces was removed/damaged and then was replaced with a cut out from another icon (painted in an entirely different style)?

Yes, the face on the angel on the right is quite unlike the Ushakov style of the rest of the icon. The great question is what was behind this intrusion.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #474 on: April 02, 2014, 04:29:57 PM »

Any ideas?

—St. Isaac of Syria
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #475 on: April 02, 2014, 05:46:19 PM »

Any ideas?

This is not an icon intended for veneration, but a didactic image. The image of an anonymous "crucified monk" attempts to encapsulate the steadfastness of faith, humility, dying to self, and renunciation of worldly life.

This version is rather graphic and lurid, I would say unnecessarily so. Other versions I've seen express the above, without the grand histrionics.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #476 on: April 03, 2014, 07:52:49 AM »

Any ideas?

This is not an icon intended for veneration, but a didactic image. The image of an anonymous "crucified monk" attempts to encapsulate the steadfastness of faith, humility, dying to self, and renunciation of worldly life.

This version is rather graphic and lurid, I would say unnecessarily so. Other versions I've seen express the above, without the grand histrionics.

What do the cups filled with flame represent?  On other less "graphic" versions, the monk is actually crucified, so he isn't holding anything.

LBK
Merarches

« Reply #477 on: April 03, 2014, 08:19:11 AM »

Any ideas?

What do the cups filled with flame represent?  On other less "graphic" versions, the monk is actually crucified, so he isn't holding anything.

Other versions I've seen show the monk or nun holding candles. I suspect it refers to striving to be "the light of the world", as in Matthew 5: 14-16:

“You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #478 on: April 03, 2014, 08:40:23 AM »

Any ideas?

Other versions I've seen show the monk or nun holding candles. I suspect it refers to striving to be "the light of the world", as in Matthew 5: 14-16:

“You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.

Thank you.  I haven't seen that version with the candles.

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #479 on: April 07, 2014, 09:59:25 AM »

Wishing everyone a blessed Feast of the Annunciation!!!

As I was looking at some icons this morning, a few interesting ones popped up.

While I understand the meaning of the fetus within her....at this point of her life, the fetus would not have been there, though.  She was just being visited by Angel Gabriel and informed of what would occur if she agreed. 

...and then this one was a shocker.

Angel Gabriel looks aggressive, as if he's about to pounce and mug her....and she looks totally frightened and curled up in a defensive position.  Again, I understand she was a bit shocked at seeing an angel...but....

—St. Isaac of Syria
DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

Faith: Catechumen no more!
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #480 on: April 07, 2014, 10:01:08 AM »

ouch...her neck in the second one looks extremly painful....maybe she slept wrong......

Please secure your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #481 on: April 07, 2014, 03:42:55 PM »

It seems this is depicting a pre-born Christ, which would be the oldest icon of such a thing I've seen so far (the others usually being motivated by pro-life stuff). It's apparently based on a 12th century icon, the Annunciation of Ustyug.

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #482 on: April 07, 2014, 03:47:34 PM »

It seems this is depicting a pre-born Christ, which would be the oldest icon of such a thing I've seen so far (the others usually being motivated by pro-life stuff). It's apparently based on a 12th century icon, the Annunciation of Ustyug.

I have a copy of this at home, but it's much darker than this image: I like this one because you can see the details better. 

I was looking for an icon of the Annunciation, and I picked this one because of the infant Christ peering out from within.  Wink

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Hawkeye
Onomatodoxicologist
High Elder

Faith: With a schismatic twist.
Jurisdiction: An Old Rite soglasie

My grandfather, the mad Mike

« Reply #483 on: April 07, 2014, 05:12:39 PM »

Is He pre-born or just small?

podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #484 on: April 07, 2014, 05:18:28 PM »

ouch...her neck in the second one looks extremly painful....maybe she slept wrong......

I can never tell if it's just strange or true schlock!  The top one seems schlochky to me, the lower one just strange...
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #485 on: April 07, 2014, 05:18:55 PM »

Well, since it's at the Annunciation Christ hadn't been born yet, and if you notice she's not actually holding him in any way.
Hawkeye
Onomatodoxicologist
High Elder

Faith: With a schismatic twist.
Jurisdiction: An Old Rite soglasie

My grandfather, the mad Mike

« Reply #486 on: April 07, 2014, 05:24:45 PM »

Well, since it's at the Annunciation Christ hadn't been born yet, and if you notice she's not actually holding him in any way.

Yeah, you're probably right. I was too preoccupied thinking about "Our Lady of the Sign" that I forgot the Annunciation was the subject.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 05:28:48 PM by Hawkeye » Logged

LBK
Merarches

« Reply #487 on: April 07, 2014, 07:13:33 PM »

Wishing everyone a blessed Feast of the Annunciation!!!

As I was looking at some icons this morning, a few interesting ones popped up.

While I understand the meaning of the fetus within her....at this point of her life, the fetus would not have been there, though.  She was just being visited by Angel Gabriel and informed of what would occur if she agreed. 

The Ustiug Annunciation shows Christ as a Child, but still all-knowing, as is proper. The version posted by Liza shows an amorphous fetus sporting a halo.
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #488 on: April 07, 2014, 07:20:28 PM »

...and then this one was a shocker.

Angel Gabriel looks aggressive, as if he's about to pounce and mug her....and she looks totally frightened and curled up in a defensive position.  Again, I understand she was a bit shocked at seeing an angel...but....

This compositional type, showing the surprise and wonder of the Mother of God at Archangel Gabriel's message, is not uncommon, but whoever painted this version needs to seriously improve his draftsmanship. Here is a historic version:

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #489 on: April 09, 2014, 04:12:45 PM »

Is that Turkish Delight? 

http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2014/04/a-fresco-of-elder-paisios-talking-with.html#more

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #490 on: April 09, 2014, 05:28:44 PM »

Is that Turkish Delight? 

Well, it's pink and white, and in small lumps, so .....  Smiley
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #491 on: April 11, 2014, 08:32:36 AM »

Is that Turkish Delight? 

Well, it's pink and white, and in small lumps, so .....  Smiley
...it's λουκούμι, which means GREEK Delight, of course!  Served with GREEK coffee and a little GREEK water.

Anna.T
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

Lord have mercy! Κύριε, ἐλέησον!

« Reply #492 on: April 11, 2014, 11:04:59 AM »

Is it bad that I first wondered why there is a bee skep on top of the church with a cross on top?

Christian bees?

Christ is in our midst!

My replies should not be taken as representing Orthodox teaching - I am only just learning myself.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #493 on: May 03, 2014, 04:22:46 PM »

What is going on in this icon?

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #494 on: May 03, 2014, 04:49:32 PM »

"And she shall crush the serpent's head."

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tags: iconography 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: