OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 09:36:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Strange icons  (Read 43008 times) Average Rating: 0
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #315 on: July 30, 2013, 09:29:59 AM »

It looks like a chalice. Here is another version of it, which I find disturbing because of the Child's portrayal - in profile, and as a generic chubby babe, not as the all-knowing God before the Ages, as the kontakion of the Nativity proclaims:

Clearly, LBK, you're a little too judgmental on this one.  Our little Lord doesn't look like a generic chubby babe, those are cuter in real life.  This is clearly a sick baby being taken care of by our Lady, who doesn't seem to be able to get him to eat, take his medicine, etc.  Give him a chance to recover, geez.   Roll Eyes  Tongue  

Actually, they don't even look related.  If they looked like mother and son but he was a little more chubby, I wouldn't mind it so much (I know, my taste doesn't matter), but it bothers me that the child bears no resemblance to the mother.  I've never felt that way about an otherwise normal-looking icon before.  He looks like the Christological equivalent of Grumpy Cat.

laugh laugh

You might be onto something here, Mor. Looking more closely, that baby does look sick. Like he's about to puke.  Tongue Wink
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 09:32:50 AM by LBK » Logged
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #316 on: July 30, 2013, 03:00:40 PM »

Here's one more.  I realize the Mother of God is often referred to as the "Ladder" between Heaven and Earth, however, I've never seen her holding a ladder.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #317 on: July 30, 2013, 03:05:56 PM »

Our Lady of Law?
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #318 on: July 30, 2013, 07:03:49 PM »

Here's one more.  I realize the Mother of God is often referred to as the "Ladder" between Heaven and Earth, however, I've never seen her holding a ladder.

That's a mix of The Uncut Mountain, but The Unburnt Bush.  Odd.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 07:06:01 PM by LBK » Logged
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #319 on: July 30, 2013, 07:09:49 PM »

Lol!  That explanation did little to help. Now I am seeing the use of a ladder to climb the mountain to reach the burning bush.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
DeniseDenise
Protokentarchos

Pre-heating the Oven!

« Reply #320 on: July 30, 2013, 07:16:17 PM »

Here's one more.  I realize the Mother of God is often referred to as the "Ladder" between Heaven and Earth, however, I've never seen her holding a ladder.

for some reason this reminds me of those dreadful senior photos where there was a large picture and then another sort of ghosted profile shot in the same picture.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #321 on: July 31, 2013, 03:29:42 PM »

This is a week of unknown icons on Facebook.

What about this one?

—St. Isaac of Syria
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #322 on: July 31, 2013, 07:33:05 PM »

I have a similar-looking one. I forget the name, sorry, but I believe it has to do with the Theotokos as an intercessor for the sick.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #323 on: July 31, 2013, 11:53:33 PM »

What about this one?

It's known as The Healer (Целительница, Tselitel'nitsa), and it depicts the miraculous healing of a gravely-ill priest by the Mother of God.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 11:54:05 PM by LBK » Logged
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #324 on: August 01, 2013, 12:14:10 AM »

I have never seen this one before.

Interesting.

—St. Isaac of Syria
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #325 on: August 01, 2013, 04:25:47 AM »

What about this one?

It's known as The Healer (Целительница, Tselitel'nitsa), and it depicts the miraculous healing of a gravely-ill priest by the Mother of God.

That kid doesn't look like a priest.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #326 on: August 01, 2013, 04:47:14 AM »

What about this one?

That kid doesn't look like a priest.

The description of the icon through Russian sources says the man was a "cleric" (клирик) . He could have been of one of the lesser ordained ranks, where a beard and long hair is not mandatory.  police
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #327 on: August 10, 2013, 06:49:35 AM »

My parents've recently bought it for me. He looks a bit chubby.
CrystalMind

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #328 on: August 10, 2013, 01:47:20 PM »

I've seen this icon a few times, but given the recent discussion in this thread about dark background colors being a no-no, I was curious. I'm still very new to all of this (Orthodoxy, icons, etc).

(This is the largest version I could find, sorry for the low-res.)
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #329 on: August 10, 2013, 07:26:51 PM »

I've seen this icon a few times, but given the recent discussion in this thread about dark background colors being a no-no, I was curious. I'm still very new to all of this (Orthodoxy, icons, etc).

(This is the largest version I could find, sorry for the low-res.)

I've seen this one many a time. It's a Roman Catholic painting from around the 19th century, and given a Russian/Slavonic inscription. Not an icon at all.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #330 on: August 10, 2013, 07:30:29 PM »

The description of the icon through Russian sources says the man was a "cleric" (клирик) . He could have been of one of the lesser ordained ranks, where a beard and long hair is not mandatory.  police

Maybe beardlessness was the disease from which he needed healing?
CrystalMind

« Reply #331 on: August 10, 2013, 09:03:30 PM »

I've seen this one many a time. It's a Roman Catholic painting from around the 19th century, and given a Russian/Slavonic inscription. Not an icon at all.

Thanks for the info; I wouldn't have known. Smiley
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #332 on: August 10, 2013, 10:37:10 PM »

Thanks for the info; I wouldn't have known. Smiley

Happy to help.  Smiley
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #333 on: August 10, 2013, 10:37:44 PM »

Maybe beardlessness was the disease from which he needed healing?

I'll pay that.  laugh laugh
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #334 on: August 10, 2013, 10:51:32 PM »

I find disturbing because of the Child's portrayal - in profile, and as a generic chubby babe, not as the all-knowing God before the Ages, as the kontakion of the Nativity proclaims.

But didn't he empty himself of his omniscience at the time of the incarnation? He had to grow in knowledge to be fully human.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #335 on: August 10, 2013, 11:07:36 PM »

I find disturbing because of the Child's portrayal - in profile, and as a generic chubby babe, not as the all-knowing God before the Ages, as the kontakion of the Nativity proclaims.

But didn't he empty himself of his omniscience at the time of the incarnation? He had to grow in knowledge to be fully human.

The hymns and icons of the Church consistently and clearly proclaim the divine omniscience of the Child. The feasts which commemorate Christ while He was still a child (Nativity, Circumcision, Meeting, Mid-Pentecost) are most eloquent in expressing this mystery.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 11:08:07 PM by LBK » Logged
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #336 on: August 10, 2013, 11:51:18 PM »

Read Luke 2.52, but also John 2.25.  Smiley

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
CrystalMind

« Reply #337 on: August 12, 2013, 12:26:25 AM »

So... Uncut Mountain Supply is selling this as an icon of St. Herman of Alaska. It seems odd?  Huh

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #338 on: August 12, 2013, 12:43:41 AM »

So... Uncut Mountain Supply is selling this as an icon of St. Herman of Alaska. It seems odd?  Huh

Definitely. Especially as there are a multitude of proper, well-executed and beautiful icons which have been painted over the years of this saint. Is it really so difficult for stockists to make the effort to source and sell good stuff?  Tongue
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #339 on: August 19, 2013, 03:33:14 PM »

What is the point of that?
Fabio Leite
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Greek

Future belongs to God only.

« Reply #340 on: August 19, 2013, 03:35:40 PM »

The point of a finger.  Grin

Multiple Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
monkvasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #341 on: August 19, 2013, 03:45:36 PM »

In places were a Christian could be persecuted for having an icon, this one could easily be hidden when necessary.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #342 on: August 19, 2013, 03:48:58 PM »

In places were a Christian could be persecuted for having an icon, this one could easily be hidden when necessary.

Do you think it was painted for that? Seriously?
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #343 on: August 20, 2013, 10:01:30 AM »

Because it can be done. Isn't it Russian? Brought to you by the same folks who built the biggest cannon, the biggest bell, the biggest church, the biggest empire, etc. Now, why not go to the other end of the scale?

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #344 on: August 20, 2013, 11:09:41 AM »

Because it can be done. Isn't it Russian? Brought to you by the same folks who built the biggest cannon, the biggest bell, the biggest church, the biggest empire, etc. Now, why not go to the other end of the scale?

You beat me to it.  laugh Russians are renowned for their miniatures, the Palekh region particularly so.

I've seen quite a few miniature icons, but never one that small! I'm impressed. Very impressed.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #345 on: August 20, 2013, 02:03:38 PM »

I used to have a miniature icon like that. I attached it to the rearview mirror in the car. Smiley
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #346 on: August 21, 2013, 01:03:06 AM »

From the website of Holy Protection Monastery in White Haven, PA, see the Dormition icon in the attached file. 

Is it common for the "little" Lady in our Lord's hands to look like a cute baby with wings?  I want to pinch her cheeks! 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #347 on: August 21, 2013, 02:45:12 AM »

From the website of Holy Protection Monastery in White Haven, PA, see the Dormition icon in the attached file. 

Is it common for the "little" Lady in our Lord's hands to look like a cute baby with wings?  I want to pinch her cheeks! 

Oh, dear God! Sentimental fluff and nonsense! There oughta be a law ....

I can assure you that is is NOT common! Never have I seen wings on any holy one's soul, be it that of the Mother of God, or of any saint at his repose when his soul is taken to heaven by an angel.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #348 on: August 21, 2013, 04:41:32 AM »

You beat me to it.  laugh Russians are renowned for their miniatures, the Palekh region particularly so.

I've seen quite a few miniature icons, but never one that small! I'm impressed. Very impressed.

If there any reason for it to be created other but boasting about skills? I mean, how can one kiss that for example?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 04:41:42 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #349 on: August 21, 2013, 04:50:45 AM »

You beat me to it.  laugh Russians are renowned for their miniatures, the Palekh region particularly so.

If there any reason for it to be created other but boasting about skills? I mean, how can one kiss that for example?

My, you have a narrow view of certain things! So using one's talent for glorifying God isn't good enough? And how many icons painted directly onto church walls or inside cupolas have you kissed, Michal?  police
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #350 on: August 21, 2013, 05:06:16 AM »

You beat me to it.  laugh Russians are renowned for their miniatures, the Palekh region particularly so.

My, you have a narrow view of certain things! So using one's talent for glorifying God isn't good enough?

How it's gloryfing God? Can you give a single practical usage of that?
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #351 on: August 21, 2013, 05:26:15 AM »

My, you have a narrow view of certain things! So using one's talent for glorifying God isn't good enough?

How it's gloryfing God? Can you give a single practical usage of that?

Are you not aware that icons are (should be) painted with prayer and fasting?

I'm also waiting for your answer to this:
And how many icons painted directly onto church walls or inside cupolas have you kissed, Michal?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 05:26:52 AM by LBK » Logged
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #352 on: August 21, 2013, 05:32:13 AM »

And how many icons painted directly onto church walls or inside cupolas have you kissed, Michal?

Probably a couple whan I was a child. However, frescoes have also decorative and educational purposes what can't be said abut that.

Waiting for your answer.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #353 on: August 21, 2013, 05:44:33 AM »

Probably a couple whan I was a child. However, frescoes have also decorative and educational purposes what can't be said abut that.

Waiting for your answer.

And an icon of the Mandylion has no teaching value??
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #354 on: August 21, 2013, 06:02:04 AM »

Waiting for your answer.

It hasn't sinceit has to watched with a magnifier.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #355 on: August 21, 2013, 06:09:30 AM »

Waiting for your answer.

It hasn't sinceit has to watched with a magnifier.

You're clutching at straws again in your attempt to prove you're right, when all you're doing is showing up how shallow and mean-spirited you are. An icon doesn't stop being an icon, even when it is smaller than a thumbnail.

I again praise the skill, discipline and love of God of whoever painted this little gem. Does anyone know who he/she is?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 06:10:03 AM by LBK » Logged
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #356 on: August 21, 2013, 06:11:05 AM »

You again ignored the fact painting icons is not something you do for Guinness records.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 06:15:15 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #357 on: August 21, 2013, 06:15:40 AM »

You again ignored the fact paintin icons is not something you do for Guinness records.

How do you know this was the reason for the painting of this miniature? Russians have been painting icon miniatures for many centuries, it's not a new phenomenon.

Give it up, Michal. You're looking more and more foolish and mean-spirited with each post.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #358 on: August 21, 2013, 06:17:47 AM »

You again ignored the fact paintin icons is not something you do for Guinness records.

How do you know this was the reason for the painting of this miniature? Russians have been painting icon miniatures for many centuries, it's not a new phenomenon.

Give it up, Michal. You're looking more and more foolish and mean-spirited with each post.

You've still failed to provide a single reason why one would be painting them (apart from boasting about his skills).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 06:18:04 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #359 on: August 21, 2013, 06:23:50 AM »

You've still failed to provide a single reason why one would be painting them (apart from boasting about his skills).

Did/do the painters of Palekh paint their miniature icons simply to boast about their skills? Indeed, using your logic, every iconographer is simply to show off their artistic skill.

Go back and read my posts again. Your stubbornness is there for all to see.
Tags: iconography 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: