Author Topic: Strange icons  (Read 481653 times)

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: In Hell I'll be in good company
Re: Strange icons
« Reply #2250 on: July 07, 2018, 03:08:13 PM »
That seems very plausible.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Sampson

• St. Sampson, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Chicago
« Reply #2251 on: July 07, 2018, 07:38:49 PM »
In the first picture (the icon), the saint is just wearing a monastic mantle, which is brown (unlike black in modern days), not an abbot's or bishop's mantiya.  Although an abbot's mantiya is typically black, there seems to be some leeway with color for abbesses.

Here is the abbess of a Georgian monastery:

Her mantiya is purple. Just note, there are no stripes as there would be for a bishop as in the icon of the Theotokos that Jackson02 posted.
Oh it's definitely just brown. Maybe reddish brown, but I just wanted to find an icon of a monastic to illustrate that their mantles don't see to   portrayed as black like LBK said.

Monastics do sometimes wear more ornate or at least non-black mantiyas though.

I think in this case Metropolitan Amphilochios may have simply lent his own mantiya for the photograph.
That seems to happen at enthronements, since I found another picture just like it.

I have no idea what "proper" procedure is at the enthronement of an abbess, but maybe they are traditionally given the bishop's mantiya to wear during the service as respect?

Whatever the case, it seems like that's what the icon might have been trying to capture. And like I said, it doesn't strike me as outrageously wrong just...unnecessary. But definitely visually strange as the thread title implies!

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2252 on: July 07, 2018, 09:16:48 PM »
There are a lot of monastic saints that were simple monks and they are depicted with a brown monastic mantle...nothing denoting any authority, just clothes.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #2253 on: July 07, 2018, 11:28:19 PM »

Oh it's definitely just brown. Maybe reddish brown, but I just wanted to find an icon of a monastic to illustrate that their mantles don't see to   portrayed as black like LBK said.

Black is usually associated with evil or spiritual darkness in iconography, so monastic dress, including monastic mantles, is rarely painted in black. Browns, muted greens, dark blue, and other somber colors are the norm.
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #2254 on: July 08, 2018, 05:40:59 AM »
Today, being at the Liturgy, I thought that the Most Holy Theotokos is not only igumenia of the Mount Athos, but we refer to Her as "Władyczyca" (Vladichitsa) in Church Slavonic, Despeina in Greek. So it's like addresing to bishop (Władyka, Despota) - Master.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
« Reply #2255 on: July 08, 2018, 08:29:33 AM »
Today, being at the Liturgy, I thought that the Most Holy Theotokos is not only igumenia of the Mount Athos, but we refer to Her as "Władyczyca" (Vladichitsa) in Church Slavonic, Despeina in Greek. So it's like addresing to bishop (Władyka, Despota) - Master.

Despoina is a title of honor, equivalent to the English Mistress (the uncorrupted meaning). Despoina finds its way into even modern Greek, and is a title given to lay women, as Mistress is. For instance, oikodespoina = lady/mistress of the house. The male equivalent is oikodespotis.

To suggest that this title of the Mother of God gives her a kind of episcopal authority is something of a stretch.
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #2256 on: July 08, 2018, 09:11:52 AM »

Despoina is a title of honor, equivalent to the English Mistress (the uncorrupted meaning). Despoina finds its way into even modern Greek, and is a title given to lay women, as Mistress is. For instance, oikodespoina = lady/mistress of the house. The male equivalent is oikodespotis.

To suggest that this title of the Mother of God gives her a kind of episcopal authority is something of a stretch.
No, no episcopal authority. But a kind of authority. And reverence that in words is similar to the bishop's one, but, actually, higher. Maybe I haven't put it clerarly.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• A sinful servant of God.
  • OC.net guru
  • 1539: Seal of Ivan IV
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
« Reply #2257 on: July 10, 2018, 08:30:37 AM »
The first icon I have ever seen with a Lithuanian inscription

"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."-Philotheus of Pskov

Christ is risen from the dead,
Trampling down death by death,
And upon those in the tombs
Bestowing life!- Paschal troparion

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #2258 on: July 10, 2018, 05:38:08 PM »
^^ it's not strange

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2259 on: July 11, 2018, 07:35:07 AM »
^^ it's not strange

But the inscription is in Lithuanian and not slavonic!!
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."-Philotheus of Pskov

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #2260 on: July 11, 2018, 05:10:09 PM »
^^ it's not strange

There are icon inscriptions in Greek, Arabic, Korean, French, English, Coptic, Serbian, Polish etc. not only in Church Slavonic.

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
  • Faith: Genuine Orthodox Church
  • Jurisdiction: Inquiring
« Reply #2261 on: July 11, 2018, 05:16:32 PM »
^^ it's not strange

Orthodoxy isn't like Roman Catholicism where everything is in latin. In Orthodoxy, the icon is usually in the people's language. If you go to Google Images you can find icons in various languages.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 05:20:10 PM by Jackson02 »

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #2262 on: July 11, 2018, 08:18:42 PM »
^^ it's not strange

There are icon inscriptions in Greek, Arabic, Korean, French, English, Coptic, Serbian, Polish etc. not only in Church Slavonic.
Sindarin! (but this one is rather strange)

"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
  • Intercede for my wretched soul, Saint Alban.
  • Faith: Outside the Church
  • Jurisdiction: Lost for now.
« Reply #2263 on: July 11, 2018, 09:54:47 PM »
^^ it's not strange

Orthodox Slav, I love your posts, and agree with a good portion of them, but I'm gonna be dead serious with you.

I think you have a very serious problem with how you perceive ethnicity in the Church.

Although for me undoubtedly my favorite liturgical tradition is Russian Orthodoxy (I'm a Slavophile, sorry) - for me, subjectively, it's just the prettiest and how I connect spiritually - in fact, I felt like the Theotokos was personally watching me when I visited the closest ROCOR Church one time - not every Orthodox Slavic person is Russian Orthodox, and each have their own liturgical traditions that are unique to their culture. When you have this attitude of forcing legitimate Orthodox traditions to disappear in the name of supporting your own, you create schism. Here in America, we have a Carpatho-Russian (a subgroup of Ukrainians) diocese that was under the Russian Orthodox Church, but they actually broke away and joined the Ecumenical Patriarch because of this attitude which you have showcased, as they felt like their own cultural heritage was under attack.

The sanctity of the Russian tradition is not being threatened right now, and by no means should you be forcing it on people who are minding their own business. In the Church, there is no Jew or Greek, but we are one in Christ.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 09:56:03 PM by LivenotoneviL »
I'm done.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #2264 on: July 12, 2018, 08:30:45 AM »
Here in America, we have a Carpatho-Russian (a subgroup of Ukrainians) diocese
I suppose some of its believers (and I mean cradles) would be offended by calling them "a subgroup of Ukrainians". Try to say something like that to Polish Lemkos, and just wait one second for the reaction.

Edit: Sindarin looks amazing!  ;D
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 08:31:17 AM by Dominika »

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2265 on: July 12, 2018, 08:42:04 AM »
... Wow that was deep!

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #2266 on: July 12, 2018, 05:46:16 PM »
I suppose some of its believers (and I mean cradles) would be offended by calling them "a subgroup of Ukrainians". Try to say something like that to Polish Lemkos, and just wait one second for the reaction.

I'm sure of it - I was thinking of the quickest way to get my point across at the cost of respect, and I should've been less ignorant.
I'm done.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• Goths and rivetheads are entering the Kingdom of God before me
  • OC.net guru
  • Screwing up the Church since 2017
  • Jurisdiction: ruins of Constantinople, Met. of Atlanta
« Reply #2267 on: July 12, 2018, 08:38:46 PM »

So the rest of us non-Old Believers are Cthuludox?
Too many theologists, not enough theologians.

Offline Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Byzantine Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
« Reply #2268 on: July 12, 2018, 09:00:09 PM »
^^ it's not strange

Orthodox Slav, I love your posts, and agree with a good portion of them, but I'm gonna be dead serious with you.

I think you have a very serious problem with how you perceive ethnicity in the Church.

Although for me undoubtedly my favorite liturgical tradition is Russian Orthodoxy (I'm a Slavophile, sorry) - for me, subjectively, it's just the prettiest and how I connect spiritually - in fact, I felt like the Theotokos was personally watching me when I visited the closest ROCOR Church one time - not every Orthodox Slavic person is Russian Orthodox, and each have their own liturgical traditions that are unique to their culture. When you have this attitude of forcing legitimate Orthodox traditions to disappear in the name of supporting your own, you create schism. Here in America, we have a Carpatho-Russian (a subgroup of Ukrainians) diocese that was under the Russian Orthodox Church, but they actually broke away and joined the Ecumenical Patriarch because of this attitude which you have showcased, as they felt like their own cultural heritage was under attack.

The sanctity of the Russian tradition is not being threatened right now, and by no means should you be forcing it on people who are minding their own business. In the Church, there is no Jew or Greek, but we are one in Christ.
The American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese was never under the Russian Orthodox Church.  The first wave of Carpartho-Russian Greek Catholic converts to Orthodoxy under St Alexis Toth went under the Russian Orthodox Church where they had an exarchate and Bishop for a short time.  The Bishop returned to the Greek Catholic Church and the Carpatho-Russian parishes were Russified.  Today they exist in the OCA, ROCOR, and the Patriarchal parishes but have retained little Carpatho-Russian identity.  The second wave of converts came later under Metropolitan Orestes Chornock, not wanting to be Russified, they were accepted as a diocese under the Ecumenical Patriarch.
My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2269 on: July 13, 2018, 03:09:09 PM »
Mental note: don't mess with Lemkos.

It does! Tengwar (the LOTR's alphabet) is a true work of art.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Done
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #2270 on: July 13, 2018, 07:26:30 PM »
I'm done.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #2271 on: July 19, 2018, 11:23:30 AM »
Saint Elias. Well, more of his icons are unusual.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2272 on: July 19, 2018, 12:34:10 PM »

He kept his cloak.

Online Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #2273 on: July 19, 2018, 01:26:51 PM »

He kept his cloak.

In an alternate ending, Elisha does NOT get to curse local children in God’s name for ridiculing his baldness so that God sends bears to maul the kids.  He just has to deal with insecurity and generalized anxiety.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2274 on: July 19, 2018, 01:53:06 PM »

He kept his cloak.

In an alternate ending, Elisha does NOT get to curse local children in God’s name for ridiculing his baldness so that God sends bears to maul the kids.  He just has to deal with insecurity and generalized anxiety.

Wow, what translation is this?

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #2275 on: July 23, 2018, 07:46:42 AM »
Has anyone seen something like that? The text (not visible there) was from Ezekiel 37, 5

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2276 on: July 23, 2018, 09:06:59 AM »
I'm confused.

Online HaydenTE

• OC.net guru
  • Always honest, occasionally correct.
  • Faith: In theory RCC; in practice OCA
  • Jurisdiction: "Can't we all just get along?"
« Reply #2277 on: July 23, 2018, 12:27:54 PM »

Can you guess what’s strange about this one?
Answer: I painted it!
"For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his soul?" - Mark 8:36 (DRA)

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
« Reply #2278 on: July 23, 2018, 12:29:50 PM »

You're very talented!

Online HaydenTE

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2279 on: July 23, 2018, 12:46:16 PM »
Thank you! I took a class with Erin Kimmett through the Antiochian Village in Bolivar, PA.
"For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his soul?" - Mark 8:36 (DRA)

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2280 on: July 23, 2018, 01:10:43 PM »
Nice!

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #2281 on: July 23, 2018, 01:42:51 PM »

You're very talented!
+1

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2282 on: July 23, 2018, 03:12:09 PM »

I wish I could paint icons!

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #2283 on: July 23, 2018, 08:06:24 PM »
I mean uncovered hair of the Theotokos:

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
« Reply #2284 on: July 26, 2018, 06:55:21 PM »

Online Briven

• Pray for me, please! Baseball loving Old Believer.
  • Elder
  • Господи Ісусе Христе Сыне Божїй помилѹй мѧ!
  • Faith: Old Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Belokrinitskaya Hierarchy
« Reply #2285 on: July 27, 2018, 12:41:34 PM »

Honestly this one reminds me of the ancient tradition of enamelwork in icons. The technique isn't there, but the style imo could potentially be okay.
“God,”
The words rumbled:
“There is much suffering,
But the church is alive. "

“How long, Archpriest, are we to suffer thus?” I answered: “Until our very death, Markovna!” And she replied, with a sigh: “So be it, Petrovich, let us plod on.” - Life of Avvakum by Himself

Nastasya, Nastasya, be
patient and do not cry:
Not every happiness
Comes in the clothing of fortune.

St. Avvakum, pray for us!

St. Ambrose, pray for us!

Current profile picture:  Guardian Angel, St. Andrew the Apostle

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2286 on: July 31, 2018, 04:02:53 PM »
My hand painted Bulgarian icon of Jesus Christ!

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
« Reply #2287 on: July 31, 2018, 04:29:47 PM »
My hand painted Bulgarian icon of Jesus Christ!

Nice job! Have you considered being an icon painter?

Online HaydenTE

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2288 on: August 01, 2018, 08:43:37 PM »

Priest and Levite with halos?

Online Briven

• Elder
« Reply #2289 on: August 01, 2018, 09:52:56 PM »

More of a lubok than an icon, but has an interesting representation of Christ as Holy Wisdom, but with the halo typically used for God the Father in icons.
“God,”
The words rumbled:

“How long, Archpriest, are we to suffer thus?” I answered: “Until our very death, Markovna!” And she replied, with a sigh: “So be it, Petrovich, let us plod on.” - Life of Avvakum by Himself

Nastasya, Nastasya, be
patient and do not cry:
Not every happiness

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #2290 on: August 06, 2018, 09:00:12 AM »
Gornjepolimski Martyrs

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
« Reply #2291 on: August 06, 2018, 10:55:37 AM »

Online Briven

• Elder
« Reply #2292 on: August 06, 2018, 03:36:12 PM »
Gornjepolimski Martyrs

This is really striking. I think it really gives an idea of the magnitude of the martyrs.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 03:36:29 PM by Briven »
“God,”
The words rumbled:

Nastasya, Nastasya, be
patient and do not cry:
Not every happiness

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
« Reply #2293 on: August 06, 2018, 04:15:00 PM »
Gornjepolimski Martyrs

This is really striking. I think it really gives an idea of the magnitude of the martyrs.
+1

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
« Reply #2294 on: September 03, 2018, 08:18:38 PM »
St Andre Rublev.