OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 07:21:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Strange icons  (Read 39443 times) Average Rating: 0
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #225 on: April 08, 2013, 02:15:16 PM »

I'm not so sure...they don't have halos.

One is pouring water from a pitcher, and the other has water coming from her hands.

At first I thought it was the four corners of the earth?  Four directions?  Four season?  

I have no idea.

Here's another pic, so you can see the baptismal font, below the images.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 02:16:50 PM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #226 on: April 08, 2013, 05:10:54 PM »

Rain, cloud, salty water, sweet water?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #227 on: April 08, 2013, 07:30:45 PM »

Well....I would think rain and cloud would be kind of the same thing.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
LBK
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #228 on: April 09, 2013, 12:29:10 AM »

There is little of direct reference to four streams or four sources of water in the hymnography of either the baptismal service, or the feast of Theophany, nor the Great Blessing of Water, nor in St John Chrysostom's homily on the latter feast. In all four texts, the water of the Jordan, and of the baptismal font, is constantly referred to in plural form: waters, streams, etc. On this basis, unless I or others discover anything more concrete, it is safe to say that these four figures are purely decorative.

There is an inscription in white lettering on the right-hand side of the baptistry ceiling. While I think it is most likely a commemoration of patronage and/or of the iconographer, is there any chance, Liza, that you could post an enlargement of this section?  Smiley
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #229 on: April 09, 2013, 12:34:15 AM »

There you are!  I was awaiting your input!!!  Smiley

Yes, I will enlarge that section and post.

However, it's probably a "commemoration", as they were everywhere...."in memory of...., for the health of....."

—St. Isaac of Syria
LenInSebastopol
Dimly Illumined

Faith: Baptized, March 9, 2014
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #230 on: April 09, 2013, 09:11:49 PM »

I love keeping it real!
Thanks.

Lord, forgive me, a sinner

Mark 14:36
God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us
LenInSebastopol
Dimly Illumined

« Reply #231 on: April 09, 2013, 09:23:17 PM »

^ They're horrible! The holy ones on the iconostasis look ghastly, emaciated, ravaged, with a deer-in-the-headlights look in their eyes, bordering on naked terror. Might be OK in a medieval Gothic church, but there is no place for such travesties in an Orthodox church! Whoever painted these images has NO idea of what iconography is. Where is the gravitas, stillness, dignity, reverence and spiritual power that good and proper icons possess and proclaim? What a crying shame that a beautiful iconostasis, made by skilled hands, has been spoiled by these artistic flights of fancy. Shameful.

Look at the outside of the church.
It looks like those people who would live in that kind of place.
Forgive me, but as a catechumen and totally unstudied in iconography, those definitely do not look "ideal" and fulfill your definitions above (thanks, I needed those words, due to my status).
And I do not want those to be my "ideal" of heaven.....but the function they serve is to remind me that getting to look like your ideal, one must look like them here on Earth....or at least the "better" ones probably did.

God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us
LenInSebastopol
Dimly Illumined

« Reply #232 on: April 09, 2013, 09:37:11 PM »

This image was produced for the purpose of using it as part of an anti-abortion campaign. Icons must never be used to promote social or political causes, even if such causes are good ones. God is above and beyond politics, and to turn a holy image into a sociopolitical mascot is nothing short of shameful.  Angry Angry Angry

Really? Can you document when and where it was first written?

Read post #109. And the image posted here was painted by Christine Uveges, a Byzantine Catholic, and used in Right to Life marches and campaigns. I have also seen the same composition painted by other artists, and used for the same purpose. The artist herself is on public record with this statement:

Every year we are in Washington D.C. at the ProLife Rally

And the artist has authorised that copies of this image are handed out during these rallies.

I repeat: the use of iconography to promote sociopolitical causes, even "good" ones, is a shameful debasement of what icons are and stand for.

No doubt, you are right. And it is true, two wrongs do not make a right.
And it is effective.
10,000 words is conveyed in a single pictograph. And for those women who have known Christ and forgotten in their hours of need, pray this reminds them.
We are NOT in heaven yet, Father. Some of us are left here on Earth to fight for what is good, true and beautiful.
There are sheep, there are shepherds and then there are sheep dogs who fight the wolves that will devour your flock. Let those that are sheep dogs fight the ones that do evil. Fast and pray.

Lord, forgive me, a sinner.

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #233 on: June 04, 2013, 02:51:15 PM »

I understand the icon, I've just never seen the Vine sprouting from Christ's side like that.

—St. Isaac of Syria
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #234 on: June 04, 2013, 02:57:51 PM »

10,000 words is conveyed in a single pictograph.

If you are sharing the road with me, I hope you are capable of reading very quickly.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
DuxI

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Macedonian Orthodox Church

« Reply #235 on: June 04, 2013, 04:42:51 PM »

A person interviewed who was close to Vanga claimed that the  (or his backers?) took people's money donations and built the ikons in this way without people or Vanga expecting this. It claims towards the end of the clip (about minute 37) that the clergy were forced to consecrate the chapel/church after refusing to do so.

Vanga knew about the icons and that there was a cannonical problem for the consecration of the church she built. Look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F32vZEzdFLs

From what i know, that Church is not consecrated at all.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #236 on: June 05, 2013, 12:23:49 AM »

A person interviewed who was close to Vanga claimed that the  (or his backers?) took people's money donations and built the ikons in this way without people or Vanga expecting this. It claims towards the end of the clip (about minute 37) that the clergy were forced to consecrate the chapel/church after refusing to do so.
Vanga knew about the icons and that there was a cannonical problem for the consecration of the church she built. Look at this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F32vZEzdFLs
From what i know, that Church is not consecrated at all.
DuxI,

Can you summarize what is in the interview? What is Vanga saying, and what is the bishop's response in the movie? Unfortunately I only know Russian, and all I clearly understood was that she said "this church is not good".

By the way, this surprisingly reminds me of a dream I had last night, where another teenager was walled inside a basement with a mural icon across another wall, and my friends and I were going to rescue him.

Vanga's dying wish was for her to be buried in the yard of her little house so that people could draw strength from her grave... The ‘Vanga' charity foundation decided to refuse her request and she was buried near the ‘St. Petka Bulgarian' church.
http://keramatad.com/english/landmarks-predela-hotel/rupite-st-petka-43
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 12:47:20 AM by rakovsky » Logged
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #237 on: June 05, 2013, 10:43:00 AM »

What do you think of these?

I kind of like them.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #238 on: June 05, 2013, 10:47:54 AM »

Who made them?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #239 on: June 05, 2013, 10:50:18 AM »

^No idea. I copied them from another forum. I'll ask where the poster found them.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 10:50:39 AM by Alpo » Logged

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #240 on: June 05, 2013, 10:58:43 AM »

What do you think of these?

I kind of like them.

Save for the whole dove thing.

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #241 on: June 05, 2013, 11:07:32 AM »

I don't mind the dove but I'd like to see Christ depicted as a small adult.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 11:07:42 AM by Alpo » Logged

Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #242 on: June 05, 2013, 11:09:26 AM »

Uncut Mountain Supply sells them under "religious paintings." It doesn't say who originally did them unfortunately, but refers to them as "Chinese silk paintings."

They have others (but apparently lack the Annunciation one) as well:

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #243 on: June 05, 2013, 11:10:55 AM »

I don't mind the dove but I'd like to see Christ depicted as a small adult.

This makes the least sense possible. But hey, I am sure LBK will agree in part with both of us.

LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #244 on: June 05, 2013, 08:01:33 PM »

Try this thread:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,17565.0.html
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #245 on: June 05, 2013, 09:21:54 PM »

What are the the jury's thoughts on this one?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #246 on: June 05, 2013, 09:40:13 PM »

/thread

inb4crazyoldbrainwashedrussianscomein

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #247 on: June 05, 2013, 10:53:22 PM »

Poking small printed icons into the frame of a larger one is nothing unusual. The photo of the little kid could be in memory of a child who died at a very young age. Fixing military insignia on the frame is a bit much, though.
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #248 on: June 05, 2013, 10:53:57 PM »

/thread

IIRC this and similar neo-Stalinist abominations were covered in the "Schlock icons" thread.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 10:54:38 PM by LBK » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #249 on: June 05, 2013, 11:15:42 PM »

/thread

Somewhere here I have discussed how this is not a proper canonical icon of Stalin. For one, there is no record he ever was a bishop. Instead, he should be portrayed in uniform. His death was under mysterious circs, so it could be martyrdom, but it works better if he's holding a scroll with some text of his voluminous writings. Or he could be depicted holding the cathedral of Christ the Savior.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #250 on: June 05, 2013, 11:25:20 PM »

/thread

Somewhere here I have discussed how this is not a proper canonical icon of Stalin. For one, there is no record he ever was a bishop. Instead, he should be portrayed in uniform. His death was under mysterious circs, so it could be martyrdom, but it works better if he's holding a scroll with some text of his voluminous writings. Or he could be depicted holding the cathedral of Christ the Savior.

Very good, Grasshopper. Very good.  Wink laugh laugh
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #251 on: June 05, 2013, 11:31:51 PM »

Poking small printed icons into the frame of a larger one is nothing unusual. The photo of the little kid could be in memory of a child who died at a very young age. Fixing military insignia on the frame is a bit much, though.

I mean the style of the icon of Christ.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #252 on: June 05, 2013, 11:38:38 PM »

I mean the style of the icon of Christ.

Falls short in many ways. Bland and anodyne, IMHO.
DuxI

« Reply #253 on: June 06, 2013, 06:56:29 PM »

DuxI,

Can you summarize what is in the interview? What is Vanga saying, and what is the bishop's response in the movie? Unfortunately I only know Russian, and all I clearly understood was that she said "this church is not good".

By the way, this surprisingly reminds me of a dream I had last night, where another teenager was walled inside a basement with a mural icon across another wall, and my friends and I were going to rescue him.

Vanga's dying wish was for her to be buried in the yard of her little house so that people could draw strength from her grave... The ‘Vanga' charity foundation decided to refuse her request and she was buried near the ‘St. Petka Bulgarian' church.

Well, the Metropolitan comes to Vanga to tells her that there are obstacles for the consecration of the church,  that the canons are clear and that they need to be respected, because the Church is one, and if she is member of the church, she must respect that. She then answers to him that his words come late, that there are two days late. and also says that even the first time when the Metropolitan came, said that this church is not good. Then she says all will be fixed, that the place is holy, a place were young people have died and that it is late to talk now (for changes) after which she starts saying to him that he is Bishop, that and that the church will be consecrated and blessed, a priest will be put, a keeper. Then she says that he must be soft as cotton and sweet as sugar (in Slavic languages, that means to be good and gentle). The Metropolitan says that the people around her are confusing her, she says to him the same. Then she says that she was visited by 300 people a day, and that his job is easy and starts talking about her past. The Metropolitan tries to explain that things are not so simple, but she continues to say that the church will be consecrated and makes plans for keeper. She mentioned also the entry of Christ at the Temple and his reaction towards the traders.  The Metropolitan again tries to explain the things in the church, she then says that she wants to go to bed. Then the Metropolitan says to the person that makes the interview about the situation when the Apostles were brought before the Jewish priests and that what is made by God will not fall, and by man, no matter how much tries, will be destroyed. He ends saying: if this temple is a reason for the soul of Vanga to be lost, it is better the temple to be gone!

Тhat is all for which Vanga spoke with the Metropolitan.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #254 on: June 06, 2013, 08:16:31 PM »

DuxI,

Well, the Metropolitan comes to Vanga to tells her that there are obstacles for the consecration of the church,  that the canons are clear and that they need to be respected, because the Church is one, and if she is member of the church, she must respect that. She then answers to him that his words come late, that there are two days late. and also says that even the first time when the Metropolitan came, said that this church is not good. Then she says all will be fixed, that the place is holy, a place were young people have died and that it is late to talk now (for changes) after which she starts saying to him that he is Bishop, that and that the church will be consecrated and blessed, a priest will be put, a keeper. Then she says that he must be soft as cotton and sweet as sugar (in Slavic languages, that means to be good and gentle). The Metropolitan says that the people around her are confusing her, she says to him the same. Then she says that she was visited by 300 people a day, and that his job is easy and starts talking about her past. The Metropolitan tries to explain that things are not so simple, but she continues to say that the church will be consecrated and makes plans for keeper. She mentioned also the entry of Christ at the Temple and his reaction towards the traders.  The Metropolitan again tries to explain the things in the church, she then says that she wants to go to bed. Then the Metropolitan says to the person that makes the interview about the situation when the Apostles were brought before the Jewish priests and that what is made by God will not fall, and by man, no matter how much tries, will be destroyed. He ends saying: if this temple is a reason for the soul of Vanga to be lost, it is better the temple to be gone!

Thank you for your very good explanation of this very interesting video. I had assumed that things were the other way around. I think someone here had said that Vanga did not want the icons the way they were. Plus, I noticed that she wanted to be buried by her house.

I don't know what to make of it. For example, was it organized by freemasons, for example, or just a home-grown group of "new agers"?
DuxI

« Reply #255 on: June 06, 2013, 08:31:12 PM »

DuxI,

Thank you for your very good explanation of this very interesting video. I had assumed that things were the other way around. I think someone here had said that Vanga did not want the icons the way they were. Plus, I noticed that she wanted to be buried by her house.

I don't know what to make of it. For example, was it organized by freemasons, for example, or just a home-grown group of "new agers"?

You are welcome.
Yes, that was her wish, but the foundation did not respect it, and buried her near the church.
The pictures in the church were made by Светлин Русев (Svetlin Rusev), the man with the glasses in the video, working in the church. I do not know what to say too, because i do not know much about this person.
I know more about Vanga, but from my family, they went to ask her something, and i can just say that really she knew things that ordinary people did not...
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #256 on: June 06, 2013, 08:36:41 PM »

anodyne

a new word to put in my small vocab

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #257 on: June 06, 2013, 09:03:10 PM »

I know more about Vanga, but from my family, they went to ask her something, and i can just say that really she knew things that ordinary people did not...
That sounds very interesting, and I would like to hear more about it.

Perhaps the best explanation is that she was not a bad person, and was a person with a gift, but also was not an extremely holy person either like we normally associate with the gifts.

I don't see anything proving she was bad. And I allow that religious customs and styles change. Perhaps some of the Old Believers' ways were better. On the other hand, I am confused why, if she was a holy person she would not follow the bishops' strong advice, especially when it comes to a matter of "church business"- like building a church.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #258 on: June 06, 2013, 09:18:35 PM »

Here is a scene from the recent Russian or Ukrainian movie Viy:

The original 1967 movie Viy was filmed in an abandoned cossack church.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 09:19:09 PM by rakovsky » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #259 on: June 06, 2013, 09:28:10 PM »

/thread

Very good, Grasshopper. Very good.  Wink laugh laugh

The original Man of Steel needs some irony in his iconography.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #260 on: June 06, 2013, 09:44:12 PM »

That sounds very interesting, and I would like to hear more about it.

Perhaps the best explanation is that she was not a bad person, and was a person with a gift, but also was not an extremely holy person either like we normally associate with the gifts.

I don't see anything proving she was bad. And I allow that religious customs and styles change. Perhaps some of the Old Believers' ways were better. On the other hand, I am confused why, if she was a holy person she would not follow the bishops' strong advice, especially when it comes to a matter of "church business"- like building a church.

Dear DuxI,

I recommend taking this conversation from Strange Icons to the Vanga thread here:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,43761.0.html
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #261 on: June 07, 2013, 01:30:16 AM »

/thread

Fantastic. And who you calling snarky?

LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #262 on: June 07, 2013, 02:31:35 AM »

/thread

Wit and snark are not the same thing.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 02:32:10 AM by LBK » Logged
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #263 on: June 07, 2013, 07:55:02 AM »

^Whether a comment is "snark" or "wit" typically can be found in the ear of the listener or reader, as the case may be.  I came across a brief piece on this subject a few years back, written by an upstate NY reporter.

"When Dorothy Parker said “She runs the gamut of emotions from A to B.” It was funny, biting and witty.
But you don’t hear that style of “funny” as much any more.
Rather what you read in newspapers & blogs and hear on television shows is just as mean, but without the, let’s call it, panache. And Snarky is Witty’s cheap, lazy cousin."

http://grammar.about.com/od/rs/g/Snark.htm

Wit is an art form. Snark is not.
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #264 on: June 07, 2013, 10:16:12 AM »

^Whether a comment is "snark" or "wit" typically can be found in the ear of the listener or reader, as the case may be.  I came across a brief piece on this subject a few years back, written by an upstate NY reporter.

"When Dorothy Parker said “She runs the gamut of emotions from A to B.” It was funny, biting and witty.
But you don’t hear that style of “funny” as much any more.
Rather what you read in newspapers & blogs and hear on television shows is just as mean, but without the, let’s call it, panache. And Snarky is Witty’s cheap, lazy cousin."

http://grammar.about.com/od/rs/g/Snark.htm

Wit is an art form. Snark is not.

Precisely, my dear podkarpatska. Precisely.  Kiss laugh
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #265 on: June 25, 2013, 12:17:15 PM »

"The Hospitality of Abraham in the style of St. Alban’s Psalter, by Peter Murphy"

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #266 on: June 25, 2013, 12:28:30 PM »

I like it ^

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #267 on: June 25, 2013, 01:14:09 PM »

/thread

Wit and snark are not the same thing.

Please stick to adjudicating what you think are proper icons and stay away from humor. You do a poor enough job of the former in spite of all your expertise. I can't imagine what would become of the world, if we had to wait for you to OK every attempt at wit.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #268 on: June 25, 2013, 01:16:21 PM »

"The Hospitality of Abraham in the style of St. Alban’s Psalter, by Peter Murphy"

LBK ain't going to like this because although you can't depict God the Father as an "old man" nor at all, you can depict Him as a man in this particular icon. Making the icon so precise to bring out the noetic nature of the visitors to Abraham I think means you can no longer have your Trinity cake and eat it to.

Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #269 on: June 25, 2013, 01:20:13 PM »

LBK ain't going to like this because although you can't depict God the Father as an "old man" nor at all, you can depict Him as a man in this particular icon. Making the icon so precise to bring out the noetic nature of the visitors to Abraham I think means you can no longer have your Trinity cake and eat it to.

It seems almost the exact same as any other Hospitality icon, except the stylistic differences. So what do you mean? This seems to do what you're saying a bit more:

« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 01:22:28 PM by Nephi » Logged
Tags: iconography 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: