Author Topic: Strange icons  (Read 481326 times)

Offline HaydenTE

• OC.net guru
  • Always honest, occasionally correct.
  • Faith: In theory RCC; in practice OCA
  • Jurisdiction: "Can't we all just get along?"
Re: Strange icons
« Reply #1485 on: April 01, 2016, 10:46:45 PM »

The Hand of God(?)
"For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his soul?" - Mark 8:36 (DRA)

Online Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #1486 on: April 02, 2016, 05:45:22 AM »

The Hand of God(?)

I've seen it in Serbia, maybe in other places too. I have even a pic from Serbia of such fresco, and it's written "The souls of righteous [people] in God's hand".

Two a bit less common icons of st. Petka (Paraskeva):

« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 05:57:03 AM by Dominika »
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #1487 on: April 02, 2016, 09:00:53 AM »
One more:

What's strange about that?

The naturalistic background. I actually really like it. Normally that's sort of realism is only in Russian icons but this one is Greek, I think.
Exactly, that's what I meant.
Some people aren't used to that. It's only common in Russia and then only with State Church icons. Most other traditions rarely deviate from a gold leaf or dark blue background.
Actually icons of this sort are common from Cretan school, which tended to blend Byzantine and Italian renaissance styles. Here is another example:

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #1488 on: April 02, 2016, 09:03:53 AM »
Another:

Edited to re-size image.  Mor Ephrem, moderator
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 11:39:13 AM by Mor Ephrem »
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #1489 on: April 02, 2016, 09:07:40 AM »
One more:

The naturalistic background. I actually really like it. Normally that's sort of realism is only in Russian icons but this one is Greek, I think.
Some people aren't used to that. It's only common in Russia and then only with State Church icons. Most other traditions rarely deviate from a gold leaf or dark blue background.
Actually icons of this sort are common from Cretan school, which tended to blend Byzantine and Italian renaissance styles.

What I said a dozen posts ago:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,19963.msg1389499.html#msg1389499

;)
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Online Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1490 on: April 02, 2016, 01:45:52 PM »
One more:

Actually icons of this sort are common from Cretan school, which tended to blend Byzantine and Italian renaissance styles. Here is another example:

I've seen somewhere similar one. Very nice.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline immerlein

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Romanian Orthodox Church in New Zealand
« Reply #1491 on: April 03, 2016, 12:40:26 AM »

The Hand of God(?)

I've seen it in Serbia, maybe in other places too. I have even a pic from Serbia of such fresco, and it's written "The souls of righteous [people] in God's hand".

Two a bit less common icons of st. Petka (Paraskeva):

Does anyone have any more details about these ones of St. Paraskeva? I've not seen ones like that of her before.

Online Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1492 on: April 03, 2016, 08:19:16 AM »
The first one is just an analogy to her name: Petka/Parasceva meaning Friday. Romanian example:

The second one I just know it's from Serbia, and I think it's similar depiction to this one:

Offline immerlein

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Romanian Orthodox Church in New Zealand
« Reply #1493 on: April 04, 2016, 02:37:59 AM »
The first one is just an analogy to her name: Petka/Parasceva meaning Friday. Romanian example:

The second one I just know it's from Serbia, and I think it's similar depiction to this one:

Thank you! :) Very interesting!

Offline HaydenTE

• OC.net guru
« Reply #1494 on: April 04, 2016, 10:48:20 AM »

I think it's located somewhere in Turkey.
"For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his soul?" - Mark 8:36 (DRA)

Online Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1495 on: April 07, 2016, 05:57:58 PM »
^^ ancient Christ of ancient days :D

It's a piece of something bigger (don't know of what):

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #1496 on: April 07, 2016, 06:40:29 PM »
Who is the young person in the green shirt?
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #1497 on: April 07, 2016, 06:55:26 PM »
Who is the young person in the green shirt?

It looks like OCnetter Antonis.
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #1498 on: April 07, 2016, 08:20:37 PM »
^^ ancient Christ of ancient days :D

It's a piece of something bigger (don't know of what):

Is that like the Orthodox version of this?

Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Online Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1499 on: April 09, 2016, 08:36:05 AM »
Sorry, if it has been already posted.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1500 on: April 09, 2016, 09:16:27 AM »

The artist who painted this has produced plenty of good icons, both painted and mosaic, when he behaves himself. Which isn't always. The Crucifixion Dominika posted is an artistic self-expression rather than a proper icon.

But he's painted much worse, like this:

It likely was not painted as an icon per se, but it's sure creeeeepy.  :o :P

Offline HaydenTE

• OC.net guru
« Reply #1501 on: April 09, 2016, 10:02:01 AM »

The artist who painted this has produced plenty of good icons, both painted and mosaic, when he behaves himself. Which isn't always. The Crucifixion Dominika posted is an artistic self-expression rather than a proper icon.

It's like God is shooting everyone with laser beams. I must have missed that chapter of Revelations.   :laugh:

Offline HaydenTE

• OC.net guru
« Reply #1502 on: April 09, 2016, 10:14:19 AM »
I bought this deesis at the estate sale of an RC priest, because I feared the three panels would be split up. However, I'm not sure they're proper to venerate. The lack of IC XC and MP OY and the uncommon inscription, "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you. Abide in my love." Also I'm not sure what hand gesture Christ is making. It's not the usual blessing.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1503 on: April 09, 2016, 10:49:31 AM »
I bought this deesis at the estate sale of an RC priest, because I feared the three panels would be split up. However, I'm not sure they're proper to venerate. The lack of IC XC and MP OY and the uncommon inscription, "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you. Abide in my love." Also I'm not sure what hand gesture Christ is making. It's not the usual blessing.

The absence of the proper inscriptions for all three figures is indeed a major problem, particularly the dogmatic ones of IC-XC and MP-OY. The Gospel passage is less of a worry, as there have long been various passages used when Christ is holding an open Gospel book. His hand gesture is rather hard to see properly because the hand is so small, but as far as I can determine, it doesn't follow the usual arrangements seen in iconography. Christ is sitting on His mandorla, rather than on His throne, or on a veil-like cloth such as that seen in most icons of the Ascension.

The whole work looks incomplete, and just lacking in so much. Pity.

Offline HaydenTE

• OC.net guru
« Reply #1504 on: April 09, 2016, 11:07:41 AM »

The absence of the proper inscriptions for all three figures is indeed a major problem, particularly the dogmatic ones of IC-XC and MP-OY. The Gospel passage is less of a worry, as there have long been various passages used when Christ is holding an open Gospel book. His hand gesture is rather hard to see properly because the hand is so small, but as far as I can determine, it doesn't follow the usual arrangements seen in iconography. Christ is sitting on His mandorla, rather than on His throne, or on a veil-like cloth such as that seen in most icons of the Ascension.

So it is improper to venerate, then?

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #1505 on: April 09, 2016, 11:08:51 AM »
Just paint some names on there and you're good to go.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #1506 on: April 09, 2016, 11:13:47 AM »

If it is incomplete, then another may finish it, yes?
As in put the proper lettering, no?
Would that be it to make it Orthodox? Or just not a certain type of Orthodox?
I read recently of a big fight over how the hand is held for a blessing. Around mid 19th century some silly men had a big kerfuffle over such.
I know I am stupid in such things and from what I read I am not the only one that is such.
So what would it take to please an Orthodox person to completion?
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Offline HaydenTE

• OC.net guru
« Reply #1507 on: April 09, 2016, 11:17:12 AM »

If it is incomplete, then another may finish it, yes?
As in put the proper lettering, no?
Would that be it to make it Orthodox? Or just not a certain type of Orthodox?
I read recently of a big fight over how the hand is held for a blessing. Around mid 19th century some silly men had a big kerfuffle over such.
I know I am stupid in such things and from what I read I am not the only one that is such.
So what would it take to please an Orthodox person to completion?

The panels themselves are not hand painted, they are some sort of mounted print.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #1508 on: April 09, 2016, 01:29:56 PM »
Just paint some names on there and you're good to go.

:)

Online Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1509 on: April 09, 2016, 01:48:25 PM »

It's like God is shooting everyone with laser beams.
Exactly. I don't know to what doctrine/ Bible passage the author refers to...

Three more (maybe the 2nd one is schlock?...):

Guardian Angel
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 01:50:06 PM by Dominika »

Offline HaydenTE

• OC.net guru
« Reply #1510 on: April 09, 2016, 02:20:03 PM »
I like the third one, the other two are just bleh.

Offline HaydenTE

• OC.net guru
« Reply #1511 on: April 12, 2016, 10:42:37 PM »
An odd Annunciation. I know some traditions state that the Theotokos heard the news at a well, but would be acceptable for icons to accept that and depict the subject as such?

Offline Regnare

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #1512 on: April 13, 2016, 01:05:14 AM »
This Ancient Faith article draws a fair bit of theological significance from that style of depiction (apparently the oldest depiction of the Theotokos is in this style).
"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust." --Psalm 91: 1-2

Offline SaintGermain

• Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Western & Southern Europe
« Reply #1513 on: April 14, 2016, 06:04:11 AM »
Hello, I  am not assured to post in the right topic, but I don't find an other for my request, so sorry if I do it wrong. I receive a russian icon with the Theotokos, but I can't success to recognize the two saints at Her two sides, can you help me please ? (I was thinking of Saint John of Kronstdat for the one in right, or maybe Cyril and Methodus ?) It's photographed with an old device, so it's quite difficult to make the small writtings clear, like that appears on the picture. If it's too difficult to recognize them, I can make an other capture, this one just focus on the scriptures, so say me ! :)

http://i.imgur.com/7fWIZUy.jpg

Offline HaydenTE

• OC.net guru
« Reply #1514 on: April 14, 2016, 06:46:53 AM »
Hello, I  am not assured to post in the right topic, but I don't find an other for my request, so sorry if I do it wrong. I receive a russian icon with the Theotokos, but I can't success to recognize the two saints at Her two sides, can you help me please ? (I was thinking of Saint John of Kronstdat for the one in right, or maybe Cyril and Methodus ?) It's photographed with an old device, so it's quite difficult to make the small writtings clear, like that appears on the picture. If it's too difficult to recognize them, I can make an other capture, this one just focus on the scriptures, so say me ! :)

The one on the right is definitely Saint Seraphim of Sarov, and the figure on the left is likely Saint Nicholas.

Online Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1515 on: April 14, 2016, 05:35:17 PM »

The icon is not strange at all, it's just very Westernised (but it's not uncommon, especially in some Eastern Slavic circles). Ah, the icon of the Theokos is "Iverion", so its origin is Athonite (and, actually, more deeply, Georgian).

The one on the right is definitely Saint Seraphim of Sarov, and the figure on the left is likely Saint Nicholas.
I would say so.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Hypatos
« Reply #1516 on: April 14, 2016, 09:21:28 PM »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #1517 on: April 14, 2016, 09:45:41 PM »
nvm
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 09:46:08 PM by Volnutt »
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #1518 on: April 15, 2016, 08:46:10 AM »

Online Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1519 on: April 16, 2016, 09:34:06 AM »

Online Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1520 on: April 17, 2016, 07:28:40 AM »

Online Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1521 on: April 21, 2016, 03:05:43 PM »

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Hypatos
« Reply #1522 on: April 21, 2016, 03:14:30 PM »

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #1523 on: April 22, 2016, 12:06:09 AM »

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1524 on: April 22, 2016, 02:27:49 AM »

I like it.

Sentimentality seems to trump theology as far as your taste goes.  :P

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Hypatos
« Reply #1525 on: April 22, 2016, 10:59:54 AM »

I like it.

"Therefore I tell you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven, for she loved much; but he who is forgiven little, loves little."

Anyway, what's wrong with the image? 

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #1526 on: April 23, 2016, 07:40:06 PM »
If you have to ask, you have passed all hope of redemption.
God bless!

Online Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1527 on: April 24, 2016, 05:39:24 PM »

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #1528 on: April 24, 2016, 05:43:28 PM »

I like it.

"Therefore I tell you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven, for she loved much; but he who is forgiven little, loves little."

Anyway, what's wrong with the image?

Give her a break. She's only just decided she doesn't like it. She will invent some appropriate canons later.

Offline HaydenTE

• OC.net guru
« Reply #1529 on: May 03, 2016, 11:16:20 AM »
Angelic Choirs