Author Topic: Do Orthodox have a name for our Heavenly Father?  (Read 370 times)

Offline andrewlya

• OC.net guru
  • One God our Father & Yahshua the Mashiach.
    • One GOD and One Messiah.
  • Faith: Christian Monotheism
  • Jurisdiction: Pro-Conservatism. Anti-liberalism.
Do Orthodox have a name for our Heavenly Father?
« on: February 03, 2018, 07:24:23 PM »
Hi, do Orthodox ever refer to God by His name and what is Orthodox accepted name for God, is Yahweh or Jehovah?
I believe in One God- the Heavenly Father Yahweh-John 17:3,1 Corinthians 8:6
I believe in the Son of the Living God- Yahshua our Messiah-Matthew 16:16

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
Re: Do Orthodox have a name for our Heavenly Father?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 12:04:24 PM »
   The name Jehovah is a revival of the Jewish name YHWH. By modern Jehovah witnesses. It has its roots in Egypt. Nobody knows how its really pronounced because ancient Jewish text had no vowels. Modern languages do. So Jehovah may or may not be how it is pronounced. Orthodoxy doesn't use it.
Reviving old names from dead languages for god is a feeble attempt IMO to usually give legitimacy and a sense of history to new age religions. Some people will be fooled. Most won't though.

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 12:11:43 PM »
We call him by a bunch of silly Yiddish names for more street cred. May the shalom of Mashiach keep you from going meshuggah.

Online pasadi97

• High Elder
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 12:29:14 PM »
Jesus told us to call God the Father as Father like in "Our Father that is in Heaven......" and Jesus is not wrong. In the end through baptism we get a new body and we are a new person with a new name , we are children of God for true, descendents from Jesus that is descendant of King David and Solomon.

If God would have a holy name why would we want to use it, to step on a bulb not being careful enough?
We recognize the name of Yahweh or Jehovah but we use the name Father because we are his children through baptism, above people of God and people that don't know God.We are in God FAMILY.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 12:39:16 PM by pasadi97 »
God the Father is great. God the Father is good.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 12:30:38 PM »
We simply say "Father"; we don't have any other special names for him, unless in the context of specific prophecies like the Ancient of Days. YHWH is considered to mean "I AM" and is applied to all three persons of the trinity. Jesus himself says, "Before Abraham was, I AM."
Radiates, vegetables, monstrosities, star spawn— whatever they had been, they were men!
- Lovecraft, At the Mountains of Madness

Online pasadi97

• High Elder
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 12:52:09 PM »
When you call your father do you use his baptism name or simply say Father?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 12:53:47 PM by pasadi97 »

Online pasadi97

• High Elder
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 01:07:21 PM »
One person of God namely WORD OF GOD that we know is Jesus  that can be found in Genesis 15:
15 After this, the word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision:

“Do not be afraid, Abram.
    I am your shield,[a]
    your very great reward.

Came to us and explained to us the nature of God as ONE God three persons. This is not what christians dreamed off this is what we were told by a person of God thus by God.

Some people say there is one God one part one persons.
The we ask them who is Spirit of God from genesis 1:2 or Word of God from Genesis 15?
They say according with our belief this cannot be and Torah is wrong and God is wrong.
I don't think Torah or God are wrong.
How about MILLIONS of people coming from death reporting JESUS is on a throne and called God?
This cannot be they say.
Well it is.

To think of one God three person think to a man that has a different independent conscience in every hand.So you can send a hand to do shopping and one hand to do something else.

It is very dangerous to not believe in Jesus or Word of God or Son of God:
John 3:18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 01:18:31 PM by pasadi97 »

Online pasadi97

• High Elder
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 01:20:09 PM »
Mark 16:16
Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.
That may sunk islam, budhism and other religions beside christianity.

John 1:12
But to all who did receive Him, to those who believed in His name, He gave the right to become children of God--
So this is why we call God Father.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that everyone who believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.

That is reagrding Isaiah 25:8
he will swallow up death forever. The Sovereign LORD will wipe away the tears from all faces; he will remove his people's disgrace from all the earth. The LORD has spoken.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that everyone who believes in Him shall not perish. but have eternal life
That means that people that are not baprtised MATY PERISH whatever that means?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 01:30:05 PM by pasadi97 »

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 01:56:13 PM »
יהוה‬

Online pasadi97

• High Elder
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 03:22:34 PM »
Who does not believe call on God to find the truth. As thousands of people testify God came to them and let them know. Don't be surprised if Jesus came even if you called on God since Jesus is one person of God.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 03:24:29 PM by pasadi97 »

Online NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 07:10:39 PM »
Jesus told us to call God the Father as Father like in "Our Father that is in Heaven......" and Jesus is not wrong.
/thread
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline andrewlya

• OC.net guru
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 03:22:06 PM »
Exodus 3:15 :
God also said to Moses, "Say to the Israelites, 'YHWH, the God of your fathers--the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob--has sent me to you.' "This is my name forever, the name you shall call me from generation to generation." God the Father said this is to be His name and Yeshua said that Father's name to be hallowed so I think it is important to remember Our Father's name. Matthew 6:9
9 Pray then like this:

“Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name.'

Offline andrewlya

• OC.net guru
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 03:22:17 PM »

Online NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 12:40:31 AM »
Yeshua said that Father's name to be hallowed so I think it is important to remember Our Father's name.
Then why use it casually on a forum?
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • The BEST Rothschild
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 02:50:59 AM »
God also said to Moses, "Say to the Israelites, 'YHWH, the God of your fathers--the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob--has sent me to you.' "This is my name forever, the name you shall call me from generation to generation." God the Father said this is to be His name and Yeshua said that Father's name to be hallowed so I think it is important to remember Our Father's name. Matthew 6:9
9 Pray then like this:

“Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name.'

Kind of hard to even discuss this with you since you don't believe in the Trinity. What do you think Jesus was saying in John 8:58 if not applying the Tetragrammaton to Himself?

As Iconodule pointed out, Orthodox Christianity (both little and big "o") sees the Tetrgrammaton as being applicable to each of the Persons, not to the Father alone. Any name for God is going to be a concession to limited human language, anyway.
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Νέος Άνκορεϊτζίτης
  • High Elder
  • Matthew 27:52-53
  • Faith: Like unto Neronov
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite, Chapelist ("Double-Crossers")
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2018, 02:51:41 AM »
There are plenty of ways to speak of God without using the Tetragrammaton. If the Jews thought it sacred enough not to vocalize, and if the Christian tradition did not retain it, I see no reason why we should presume to adopt it now.
"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2018, 04:00:31 AM »
Actually, the Son and the Holy Spirit are Yahweh too. Jesus Christ is who he is, the I AM, as he said in the Epistle of St. John.

Personally, I see "His name was written on him, but he was the only one who knew what the name meant." (Revelation 19:12) as a reference to consubstantiality between Father and Son. The "secret name" meaning the essence of God (I believe "name=essence" was a Jewish theme).

But "Father" is fine for us. So is "Lord". These references to "Lord", "God", even "Father", may often be ambiguous, but there are some Orthodox prayers that explicity and unambiguously refer to God the Father, such as the line "Lord, cleanse us from our sins." in the full Trisagion AFAIK.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 04:11:37 AM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • The BEST Rothschild
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 04:12:01 AM »
יהוה‬
Actually, the Son and the Holy Spirit are Yahweh too. He is who he is, as he said in the Epistle of St. John.

Personally, I see "His name was written on him, but he was the only one who knew what the name meant." (Revelation 19:12) as a possible Trinitarian reference. The "secret name" meaning the essence of God (I believe this was a Jewish theme).

Makes me think of Derrida's point about how all language is basically metaphor. We can't really speak of "the thing in itself" but only what it is like. Red like an apple, which is red like a sunset, which is red like the red clay hills, which are red like an apple...

Even the names of God that we're given in Scripture only tell us what He does (exists, brings into existence, saves, commands the hosts of Heaven, etc), not what He is in essence.

I guess that means that the mystical and the ineffable is the only way to approach true communion with Him that doesn't just bounce off some kind of analogical reasoning.
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!

Offline andrewlya

• OC.net guru
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2018, 04:31:33 AM »
9 Pray then like this:

“Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name.'

Kind of hard to even discuss this with you since you don't believe in the Trinity. What do you think Jesus was saying in John 8:58 if not applying the Tetragrammaton to Himself?

As Iconodule pointed out, Orthodox Christianity (both little and big "o") sees the Tetrgrammaton as being applicable to each of the Persons, not to the Father alone. Any name for God is going to be a concession to limited human language, anyway.
I can't really go into debating trinity here because my posts may not be aproved and I won't go into details of explaining it all but since you ask from.what I know in the Greek Septuagint, the actual divine name revealed to Moses was not simply, "Ego Eimi," but was rather, "Ego Eimi Ho On" what Yeshua was possibly refering to here is his pre existence, he did not say I'm that I'm. All over the Scripture the apostles were struggling to persuade the unbelieving Jews that Yeshua was the Messiah, let alone that he was God.Nayway, let's stick to the topic

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2018, 03:17:47 PM »
Makes me think of Derrida's point about how all language is basically metaphor. We can't really speak of "the thing in itself" but only what it is like. Red like an apple, which is red like a sunset, which is red like the red clay hills, which are red like an apple...

Even the names of God that we're given in Scripture only tell us what He does (exists, brings into existence, saves, commands the hosts of Heaven, etc), not what He is in essence.

I guess that means that the mystical and the ineffable is the only way to approach true communion with Him that doesn't just bounce off some kind of analogical reasoning.
In a sense, the mere words "Yahweh", "God", "Lord", are icons of God. If he grants us to know him through words, why not through images?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 03:18:11 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Online pasadi97

• High Elder
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2018, 05:20:46 PM »
hallowed be your name means the name of God is holy which Christians understand and agree with this.

It does not mean if you don't use it you are not saved as some interpretation errors from imagination say.

Offline andrewlya

• OC.net guru
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2018, 05:24:40 PM »
hallowed be your name means the name of God is holy which Christians understand and agree with this.

It does not mean if you don't use it you are not saved as some interpretation errors from imagination say.
I did not say if you don't use the name of God you won't be saved but I think it is important to remember the name of our Father in heaven.

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • The BEST Rothschild
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2018, 06:21:42 PM »

In a sense, the mere words "Yahweh", "God", "Lord", are icons of God. If he grants us to know him through words, why not through images?

Makes sense, yep.

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • The BEST Rothschild
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2018, 06:25:48 PM »
9 Pray then like this:

“Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name.'

I can't really go into debating trinity here because my posts may not be aproved and I won't go into details of explaining it all but since you ask from.what I know in the Greek Septuagint, the actual divine name revealed to Moses was not simply, "Ego Eimi," but was rather, "Ego Eimi Ho On" what Yeshua was possibly refering to here is his pre existence, he did not say I'm that I'm. All over the Scripture the apostles were struggling to persuade the unbelieving Jews that Yeshua was the Messiah, let alone that he was God.Nayway, let's stick to the topic

Saying that He could pre-exist Abraham without being God is a nonsense Arian fever dream. What is He, an angel? An immortal android?

But you're right, this isn't for faith issues. Doesn't change the fact that a Trinitarian and a Non-Trinitarian trying to discuss something like this is an exercise in futility. There is no topic.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2018, 06:40:53 PM »
Word to you my whole other family
Learn meditation.