OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 05:20:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The gospel teaches there will be eternal rewards  (Read 561 times) Average Rating: 0
mikeforjesus
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« on: August 15, 2014, 03:08:30 AM »

As you know one star differs from another star in glory St Mary has the best position and King David probably has a great reward as does Moses.

Just because one is a virgin does not mean he has the best reward many who are last shall be first

Revelations talks about those who were virgins and did not defile their garments they are like the wise virgins who also do not commit lust secretly

There is no point pretending there will be no rewards. The least reward is still a heaven even the devil maybe could have obtained that if he repents/repented but God forsees his decision as an eternal rejection of God.

Everyone who is repentant like sodom and gommorah will not be tortured to the same degree as the devil they might even have their own world to move in, in hell but they will be deprived of heaven

« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 03:24:38 AM by mikeforjesus » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Hello for now, my friend

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 03:12:36 AM »

I'm confused as to what it is that you would like to discuss in this thread...?

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin

Hey, so I'm in a pop-alt-punk-folk-prog band called "Affable Dregs" and we have a new album coming out, titled "Vicious Turnips Always Taste Most Delicious." We'd really appreciate your support!
mikeforjesus
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 03:14:14 AM »

Does anyone want to expand on this or want to say any points regarding this and if I have addressed the topic well
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 03:14:28 AM by mikeforjesus » Logged
mikeforjesus
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 05:16:49 AM »

I meant and if the repentant do not go to heaven those who are repentant like sodom and gommorah will not be tortured to the same degree as the devil they might even have their own world to move in, in hell but they will be deprived of heaven.

mikeforjesus
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 05:20:40 PM »

sorry for the original post it is arrogant and cruel of me. It may not be entirely correct
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 05:21:54 PM by mikeforjesus » Logged
Godspell
Arch-layman

Faith: Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 09:07:27 PM »

As you know one star differs from another star in glory St Mary has the best position and King David probably has a great reward as does Moses.

Just because one is a virgin does not mean he has the best reward many who are last shall be first

Revelations talks about those who were virgins and did not defile their garments they are like the wise virgins who also do not commit lust secretly

There is no point pretending there will be no rewards. The least reward is still a heaven even the devil maybe could have obtained that if he repents/repented but God forsees his decision as an eternal rejection of God.

Everyone who is repentant like sodom and gommorah will not be tortured to the same degree as the devil they might even have their own world to move in, in hell but they will be deprived of heaven

Hmm... I think heaven is a mystery. Apparently we do get rewards, but I was taught in whatever denomination I went to as a kid that we get like Golden harps and magical trombones and what not. I don't think that is it. I think that what it means is we will be further along our journey for union with God, which will be a reward in and of itself.

There's so much inequality on Earth, I wouldn't want that to be so in heaven.

Just as the thought of fire does not warm the body, so faith without love does not actualize the light of spiritual knowledge in the soul.

Just as the light of the sun attracts a healthy eye, so through love knowledge of God naturally draws to itself the pure intellect.

– St Maximos
mikeforjesus
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 05:47:43 AM »

Thanks for your input it is helpful
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 05:48:29 AM by mikeforjesus » Logged
mikeforjesus
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 06:40:22 AM »

I should not apologise it may be hard to imagine that fornicators are very close in spirituality to virgins but rewards start once a person has received knowledge of Christ and is moved by the Spirit to seek repentance. If one received knowledge later in life God will give them more grace or points to receive the same rewards as others because God chooses when to give us belief in Jesus Christ and a proper surrounding for growth. The life previously does not count in rewards. Also the same grace (by this I do not refer to being orthodox or not I mean the same godly power) must be available to both (which can only happen when one has pure knowledge and faith) and circumstances are taken into account
grace can turn someone very bad like Paul into the greatest saints. Even those who still sin after receiving knowledge of the truth with grace can surpass others for God knows we are all made differently and esteemed David among the greatest men though he commited adultery and being a believer
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 06:54:14 AM by mikeforjesus » Logged
Godspell
Arch-layman

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 06:57:58 AM »

I should not apologise it is hard to imagine that fornicators are very close in spirituality to virgins but rewards start once a person has received knowledge of Christ and is moved by the Spirit to seek repentance. The life previously does not count in rewards. Also the same grace (by this I do not refer to being orthodox or not I mean the same godly power) must be available to both (which can only happen when one has pure knowledge and faith) and circumstances are taken into account
grace can turn someone very bad like Paul into the greatest saints. Even those who still sin after receiving knowledge of the truth with grace can surpass others for God knows we are all made differently and esteemed David among the greatest men though he commited adultery and being a believer

Luke 7:37-47 speaks to this. "He who sins much loves much; but he who sins little loves little." The worst sinners in fact make the best Christians.

Though I am not sure if you are referring to fornicators and virgins in the literal sense here. It is possible to be a non-virgin and a non-fornicator as well either through repentance or marriage.

As it pertains to gifts, I've sometimes wondered about death bed repentance. How that factors in. Personally, I lean more towards a sincere hope everyone comes to know God, so it bothers me not if someone repents at the moment of death solely out of fear of hell, but in a lot of the Lord's words He does seem to speak of doing the Will of the Father to obtain the reward in heaven. In that sense, I'd rather not risk waiting until the moment of death to repent.

Just as the thought of fire does not warm the body, so faith without love does not actualize the light of spiritual knowledge in the soul.

Just as the light of the sun attracts a healthy eye, so through love knowledge of God naturally draws to itself the pure intellect.

– St Maximos
mikeforjesus
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 07:02:32 AM »

Thanks alot for your input friend but I was not referring to you specifically or your words but my words but I thought about your words too. I don't think christians have an excuse not to repent soon but for an unbeliever only maybe they should be given more patience because they have many environmental factors making it hard to repent. If one repents before their death and endures to the end they will be saved
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 07:03:24 AM by mikeforjesus » Logged
mikeforjesus
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 07:06:12 AM »

well the main problem stopping them from repentance is they have not found the truth yet
but how much are we convinced the door will be closed forever to those who are not written in the book of life. I am very convinced but not enough to convince others. I said that to tell that I should perhaps have understanding towards christians also but it is not excused. People should repent simply because the door might be closed forever and because it is right
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 07:14:56 AM by mikeforjesus » Logged
Godspell
Arch-layman

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 07:11:37 AM »

Thanks alot for your input friend but I was not referring to you specifically or your words but my words but I thought about your words too. I don't think christians have an excuse not to repent soon but for an unbeliever only maybe they should be given more patience because they have many environmental factors making it hard to repent. If one repents before their death and endures to the end they will be saved

That's alright, I wasn't really responding to anything specifically, just to your reply in general.

I believe if one repents before death they are saved as well, mainly because that has been what the Church has always taught. But, it certainly does not hurt if you repent before that either. Though it's never too late to be reborn. If I'm not mistaken, St. Constantine was baptized on his death bed.

Though, as I said before, I think repentance sooner, rather than later, allows one to grow closer to God in this life, which has its reward in heaven as it is.

– St Maximos
mikeforjesus
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 07:19:00 AM »

But no one knows when he will die.
mikeforjesus
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 08:07:55 AM »

I didn't mean that as a death threat it is better coming from someone who can prove himself and who doesn't seem holier than thou
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 08:18:36 AM by mikeforjesus » Logged
Godspell
Arch-layman

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2014, 08:24:19 AM »

I didn't mean that as a death threat it is better coming from someone who can prove himself and who doesn't seem holier than thou

I didn't take it like that. I understand what your saying.

– St Maximos
mikeforjesus
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2014, 03:54:44 AM »

Good thanks Smiley
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 04:04:01 AM by mikeforjesus » Logged
mikeforjesus
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2014, 04:07:13 AM »

I'm sorry but this post seems judgemental please forgive me
I have not been able to describe it properly and there may not be eternal rewards either heaven or hell rewards are temporary hence Jesus said My mother is she who hears the word of God and does it meaning perhaps in the future they could be equal
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 04:10:21 AM by mikeforjesus » Logged
mikeforjesus
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 11:02:47 AM »

1 Corinthians 9:25 And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown.

I heard that in a sermon

The eternal reward is for all those who are saved
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 11:08:23 AM by mikeforjesus » Logged
mikeforjesus
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2014, 09:18:01 AM »

"Your toiling here is not forgotten before God,
'For God is not unjust to forget your work and labor
of love' (Hebrews 6:10). Every work you labor here
is treasured up for you in eternity. Here is not the
place for rest but the place for striving and toiling...
Therefore Satan is not sincere when he calls you
to rest; he is deceiving you"
+ Pope Shenouda +

I guess the eternal reward is the salvation of others souls. There shall be no envy in heaven
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: