Author Topic: Unusual censer type  (Read 298 times)

Offline NicholasMyra

• Antivoluntarist evangelist
  • Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
Unusual censer type
« on: November 24, 2019, 03:54:41 AM »
Is anyone familiar with this odd, lamp-like censer type? Is it used like a normal censer?

This is one example of a few I've seen.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Orthodox-Censer-Incense-Burner-Christian-Brass-Church-With-Cross-Greek-7709B/142274624204?hash=item21203a7acc:g:i7QAAOxy0NtTBihn
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 03:55:43 AM by NicholasMyra »
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
Re: Unusual censer type
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 07:14:56 AM »
For me it's just a type of hand censer, for home usage and also by some e.g monks and nuns at processions or other occassions.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Apostolos

• Protopentekaidekarchos
  • High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Church of Greece
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 07:30:34 AM »
It's called katsion or kadzion (κάτσιον or κατζίον in Greek) and it's a variation for small processions or home usage of the one used during Holy Week with bells attached on it (I thought it was a universal thing, the priest or deacon to cense the congregation with a katsion instead of the normal long censer during the reading of the Royal Psalms in Holy Week)
Ἦχος Πρῶτος

Τέχνη μελουργός, σούς ἀγασθεῖσα κρότους
Πρώτην νέμει σοὶ τάξιν, ὦ τῆς ἀξίας
Ἦχος ὁ πρῶτος μουσική κληθείς τέχνη
Πρῶτος παρ'ἡμῶν εὐλογείσθω τοῖς λόγοις.
Τὰ πρῶτα πρῶτε τῶν καλῶν λαχῶν φέρεις
Πρωτεῖα νίκης πανταχοῦ πάντων ἔχεις.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 04:46:35 PM »
Thanks for the input--I've seen hand/home censers before, but never one that seemed designed to look like a lamp and with a fish-snake handle.
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 08:40:14 AM »
of the one used during Holy Week with bells attached on it (I thought it was a universal thing, the priest or deacon to cense the congregation with a katsion instead of the normal long censer during the reading of the Royal Psalms in Holy Week)

No, it's not. I've seen this in Antioch, but during sahraniyyas (all-night vigils). In Poland not at all.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 09:04:00 PM »
of the one used during Holy Week with bells attached on it (I thought it was a universal thing, the priest or deacon to cense the congregation with a katsion instead of the normal long censer during the reading of the Royal Psalms in Holy Week)

No, it's not. I've seen this in Antioch, but during sahraniyyas (all-night vigils). In Poland not at all.
Interesting, so these are held sort of in place of candles?

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 04:20:22 AM »

Interesting, so these are held sort of in place of candles?

Polyleos that should be chanted during all-night vigil is divided into 2 parts, so at the first one the movement of of chandelier is used, while during the second one this special censer. I'm not sure if I've seen this censer being used also during other moment of the all-night vigil.

Offline Eamonomae

• The Dead
  • OC.net guru
  • I am become death, destroyer of worlds.
  • Faith: Lost
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 11:01:42 AM »
I heard if you rub it, a genie will come out and say to you "Eis pollá étē, Déspota!" and grant you three wishes.

(I'm sorry)
"I go to seek a Great Perhaps."