Author Topic: To study or not study Theology at univesity  (Read 149 times)

Offline benjohn146

• Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, Belleville, Ontario, Canada
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Metropolis of Toronto
To study or not study Theology at univesity
« on: July 18, 2016, 09:47:09 AM »
Good day to all, might not be to proper board to post but I am doubt, feel free to move it where it belong.

So, I am at the crossroad: I am in my late 20's and the work that I do doesn't fit my faith anymore. Also, my health doesn't allow me to work as much as physical as I used to. In order to re-orient my career, I went back to finish my high-school diploma which was a surprising success. Now, it is time to choose a field of study that will enable me to get a degree in order to leave my job to a better environment (more clerical in nature to accommodate my health) and also to serve and glorify God. So far, I am really interested in studying theology as it fit my faith and intellectual needs as Christ is my Bread of Life and He fills me. Other fields are less interesting but are still considered as option since that I have to find a job to support my wife and children, but theology is definitely what I would like to study. I wont be able to transform this degree into being a candidate to the priesthood since that I am wed to my heterodox wife (without the Church's blessing too, unfortunately) and that I am tattooed all over ( I am a convert, so I did a lot of stupid stuff before).

I was wondering if some peoples had stories about their theological studies and if they found a job (other than the priesthood) with their degree in Theology.

Thank you for sharing and giving me some advices for those who went through a similar path!
St Makarios, pray for us.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Re: To study or not study Theology at univesity
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 09:54:40 AM »
I would advise you to pursue a degree in a field that would improve your professional status (work with a counsellor on that). To satisfy your theology craving, though, there is this. I'm not sure if you can get certified without any physical attendance at all, but even auditing is quite satisfactory, not to mention affordable.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 10:03:06 AM »
Even if you became a priest, you livelihood wouldn't be guaranteed, unfortunately.

Given that this is a bread winning, rather than cake eating, decision, I would advise against it as a major.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline RaphaCam

• Prime Minister of Zimbabwe
  • OC.net guru
  • Holy Prophet and God-seer Moses
    • Facebook - A Bíblia Ilustrada
  • Faith: Church of Poland
  • Jurisdiction: but my heart belongs to Rio de Janeiro
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 10:44:46 AM »
I would advise you to pursue a degree in a field that would improve your professional status (work with a counsellor on that). To satisfy your theology craving, though, there is this. I'm not sure if you can get certified without any physical attendance at all, but even auditing is quite satisfactory, not to mention affordable.
+1, I was going to link IOCS too.
Bendito seja o Reino do Pai, do Filho e do Espírito Santo!

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
  • Brexit
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 10:47:05 AM »

+1.  YOu have a family and anything you can do to improve their livelihood should be your goal. You can always  minor in theology.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 06:36:22 PM »
+1, I was going to link IOCS too.

The St. Stephens program has a degree option, though it's a master's degree, which means you'd need a bachelor's for the program to be anything more than a certificate.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH