Author Topic: When can a priest deny someone communion?  (Read 147 times)

Offline truthseeker32

• Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOA-Denver
When can a priest deny someone communion?
« on: Yesterday at 07:53:59 PM »
I am currently having a discussion with a fellow Orthodox Christian that claims that priests are not permitted to deny communion to individuals unless they have been instructed to do so by their bishop. Futher, he claims that Orthodox priests should never deny communion to anyone based on their political opinions.

Is my friend right? Are there examples of people being denied communion because of their political opinions? Are there any canons that address when communion can and cannot be denied by a priest?

Offline Peacemaker

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodoxy
Re: When can a priest deny someone communion?
« Reply #1 on: Today at 01:07:01 AM »
This is just from what I've seen personally.

- Denied because person wasn't Orthodox
- Denied because the person was a practicing homosexual
- Denied because someone convinced another to get an abortion
- Denied because a person kept committing the same sin over and over (to hopefully teach them the seriousness of the situation. Denying someone for this reason can help them wake up and not take communion for granted)
- Denied for not being dressed properly (low cut top on women, shorts, stuff like that)
- My priest told me in Russian some people get denied for not wearing their cross
- Denied for not fasting before hand (without otherwise been given a blessing to do so, for an illness)
"Mikey, Mikey, this ain't the kind of place you want to go to the bathroom in."
"Why not?"
"Because they might have daddy longlegs and um... dead things, Mikey. DEAD THINGS!"

Offline Superior Practices

« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:00:51 AM »
If you dont offer financial restitution they may deny you. Or so i have heard.

Offline WPM

• Revolutionary Writer
  • Archon
« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:15:46 AM »
I'm aware of the communion chalice where the Orthodox priest uses the spoon to give you the body and blood of Christ.
« Last Edit: Today at 03:16:10 AM by WPM »

Offline Rhinosaur

• Homo Vivius
  • Elder
« Reply #4 on: Today at 03:32:52 AM »

- Denied because a person kept committing the same sin over and over (to hopefully teach them the seriousness of the situation. Denying someone for this reason can help them wake up and not take communion for granted)
- Denied for not being dressed properly (low cut top on women, shorts, stuff like that)
- My priest told me in Russian some people get denied for not wearing their cross
- Denied for not fasting before hand (without otherwise been given a blessing to do so, for an illness)

Seriously?  That seems a bit nitpicky.

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:10:17 AM »

I can only believe 2 of these points might possibly be true. They certainly arent normal reasons, for any branch of Christianity.

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Off to see the wizard!
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #6 on: Today at 05:05:12 AM »

I can only believe 2 of these points might possibly be true.

Which ones?

They certainly arent normal reasons, for any branch of Christianity.

By now you should be at least suspecting that the Orthodox don't view Communion exactly the way other 'branches' do.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

« Reply #7 on: Today at 05:14:31 AM »
By now you should be at least suspecting that the Orthodox don't view Communion exactly the way other 'branches' do.

Yes. This is true. The Orthodox "branch" is the only one that does it as per the original directions.

Offline katherineofdixie

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #8 on: Today at 09:43:36 AM »
By refusing someone communion, a priest may be said to be recognizing the reality that the person has already removed himself or herself from communion by their actions. Generally speaking, we excommunicate ourselves.
A particular Bishop may certainly instruct his priests not to refuse someone without checking with him first. The priest serves as the representative of the Bishop.
« Last Edit: Today at 09:43:56 AM by katherineofdixie »
"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom