Author Topic: Light and Darkness  (Read 194 times)

Offline WPM

• Revolutionary Writer
  • Archon
Light and Darkness
« on: May 07, 2015, 10:03:42 AM »
Does anyone here notice the subtle interplay between Light and Darkness? thanks.

Offline Velsigne

• High Elder
Re: Light and Darkness
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 10:09:10 AM »
Does anyone here notice the subtle interplay between Light and Darkness? thanks.

Subtle?  No.  You're welcome.

Online Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 10:58:14 AM »

Yes, without darkness, we would only have sound and physical sensations to guide us.

Offline WPM

• Revolutionary Writer
  • Archon
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 10:59:41 AM »

Yes, without darkness, we would only have sound and physical sensations to guide us.

So the light is always chasing the dark? ..

Online Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 11:41:12 AM »

I do not think so. The dark serves a more educational role, blocking the light so that it can gain some perspective. Kind of the opposite from chasing, but its all relative, but that his how I view it.

Offline WPM

• Revolutionary Writer
  • Archon
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 11:47:00 AM »

I do not think so. The dark serves a more educational role, blocking the light so that it can gain some perspective. Kind of the opposite from chasing, but its all relative, but that his how I view it.

You think this is interplay between light and darkness? ..

Online Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 12:25:47 PM »

You think this is interplay between light and darkness? ..

Yes, they reveal each other.

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 02:09:40 PM »
By light and darkness, do you mean good and evil, or colors as you see in a painting? :)
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline WPM

• Revolutionary Writer
  • Archon
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 03:01:45 PM »
By light and darkness, do you mean good and evil, or colors as you see in a painting? :)

The interplay been light and dark. (Could be the Buddhist understanding of good and evil) ...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 03:03:12 PM by WPM »

Offline Gamliel

• Archon
  • ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστον βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 07:15:56 PM »
I notice this in the mornings and in the evenings. :)

Offline wgw

• Amateur Liturgical Enthusiast
  • OC.net guru
  • The above Syriac icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 07:51:58 PM »
I don't think darkness has to be regarded as representative of evil.  There are Patristic references to the unknowable Divine Essence existing in "dazzling darkness."   We should regard the interplay of light and dark, like the starry sky, as a beautiful aspect of Gods creation.  It's worth noting that God appears as a blinding light in many experiences in the Bible to those unprepared to see him in a sense.  But at the Transfiguration the Disciples were able to perceive it in a positive way.  Whereas for Paul he was temporarily blinded; he did not behold the Lord because at the time he was unworthy,  whereas St. John later in exile on Patmos had a detailed vision which included the New Jerusalem lit by God's glory.  But he was able to clearly perceive the details of this city doubtless on account of his preparation through Theosis; he could see through the blinding light.

I love the fog because it obscures things and reminds me of the loving presence of God, and it also feels good in my lungs.  Real coastal fog, not smog or smoke.   I feel like my own experience of Christianity is a bit like strolling through a blissful, fog covered land from grace-giving Miracle to stunning monument; occasionally I am scared or trip and fall, but then come to a clearing where I can see something beautiful, or see the beauty of God like a lamp or the Sun penetrating the fog.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 07:58:56 PM by wgw »