Author Topic: Creativity in the Spiritual Life  (Read 55 times)

Offline ChristFire

• All strength resides in Christ
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
Creativity in the Spiritual Life
« on: Yesterday at 04:33:43 PM »
Greetings!

I have a simple question in which I'm very interested in. I'm also interested in the possible responses to it!

As I've been growing deeper in my faith, I've found that that I oftentimes need to be creative with it. I don't necessarily mean that I'm doing something that hasn't been done before or that I'm straying from tradition, but instead, I'm often embracing tradition. I'm often finding ways of breaking from 21st century mindsets. I think that's why I have found regular reading of the early Church Fathers to be incredibly fruitful. There have been a lot of very holy people who have gone before us.

In short, how do we prevent lukewarmness, complacency, stagnation, etc?

"The chief end of our life is to live in communion with God" - Theophan the Recluse.

Our ultimate Teacher says that the greatest commandment is to "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" Mt 22:36-40.

If you're like me, you probably struggle with continually loving the Lord with all your heart and you fail with serving Him with all that you do. And it seems like there isn't just one path cut out for all of us to achieve theosis. Afterall, our relationship with God is more like a path than a destination; we spend our whole life on earth trying to get as close to the Father as did the Son.

So how do we do that? What works for y'all? I think it'd be great  to include big and little things! Maybe increased fasting has been a successful means to enriching prayer and subsequently increasing our communion with God. Maybe simply carrying an icon in our bag helps us stay focused on serving Him.

I really want to know!  ;D ;D ;D
“It is no longer I who live but Christ who lives in me” (Gal 2:20).

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Re: Creativity in the Spiritual Life
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 06:41:33 PM »
Welcome to the forum. :)
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline ChristFire

• All strength resides in Christ
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 07:12:24 PM »
Hey, thanks!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I feel very welcomed and I'm excited to grow closer to God with y'all!
“It is no longer I who live but Christ who lives in me” (Gal 2:20).

Offline Minnesotan

• OC.net guru
  • From the Land of 10,000 Lakes
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 07:29:25 PM »
There are a lot of very creative people who are saints of the church, such as Romanos the Melodist.