Author Topic: St. George the Jew  (Read 120 times)

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
St. George the Jew
« on: April 21, 2017, 09:16:47 PM »
I got curious about this saint while reading about Orthodox monasteries in Jerusalem, but I can't find anything about it, not even in Greek, just info about the nunnery named after him. Does anyone have any info?

Name of the monastery in English: Holy Monastery of Saint George the Jew
In Greek: Ἱερά Μονή Ἁγίου Γεωργίου Ἑβραϊκῆς.
In Arabic (there's something strange about this, maybe Dominika or one of our Arabs/Copts could tell): دير القديس جوارجيوس (حاره اليهود)ا
"Now therefore, when thou didst pray, and Sara thy daughter in law, I did bring the remembrance of your prayers before the Holy One: and when thou didst bury the dead, I was with thee likewise." (Righteous Tobit 12:12)

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
Re: St. George the Jew
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 09:55:31 PM »
The monastery is dedicated to Great-martyr St George. The name of the monastery is not "of St George the Jew" This is a mistranslation. The word Ἑβραϊκῆς refers to the Jewish quarter of Jerusalem's Old City, where the monastery is situated.
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 10:04:50 PM »
The monastery is dedicated to Great-martyr St George. The name of the monastery is not "of St George the Jew" This is a mistranslation. The word Ἑβραϊκῆς refers to the Jewish quarter of Jerusalem's Old City, where the monastery is situated.
Thanks! I thought it might be something alike since the "Jew" part was between parentheses in Hebrew, but I couldn't translate the first word.
"Now therefore, when thou didst pray, and Sara thy daughter in law, I did bring the remembrance of your prayers before the Holy One: and when thou didst bury the dead, I was with thee likewise." (Righteous Tobit 12:12)

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 10:14:38 PM »
Happy to help.  :)

Also, if the saint was indeed called St George the Jew, the Greek name of the monastery would be Αγίου Γεωργίου του Εβραίου.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 10:15:59 PM »
I thought it might be "of the Jews" or something. My Greek is getting worse since I paused my translations for school. :P

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 10:24:17 PM »
I thought it might be "of the Jews" or something. My Greek is getting worse since I paused my translations for school. :P

Ἑβραϊκῆς is "of the Jews", but it refers to a place, not the saint. The declension and grammatical gender are the clues.  :)