Author Topic: How much do you tell?  (Read 119 times)

Offline OrthoDisco

• Faith: Orthodox
How much do you tell?
« on: August 24, 2016, 04:51:28 AM »
I was listening to a podcast by Fr Thomas Hopko and he was warning us to be careful what we share with non-Orthodox. Specifically his talk was on the Theotokos and the dormition and the protoevangelium. Many non-orthodox already *kind of* know what we believe, so avoiding conversation completely might not be reasonable. But we must be cautious what we share because they don't believe, don't necessarily want to believe, and can even make fun of these things that are very important in our faith.  I understand what he was saying having just gone through an awkward talk with my evangelical friend. I have also seen some of the looks non-orthodox give me when trying to confront me on certain topics. It sucks, and I don't like being put on the spot, but im not sure how to navigate these situations. (I knew a guy who absolutely refused to answer questions from most non-orthodox wanting to "discuss". Perhaps he could tell who was genuine and who was not. He advised that we should just treat our Orthodoxy like our own special secret.)
Ok, so now I'll know to be more careful when it comes to questions about Mary in the future.
But what else should we be careful with when asked questions?  Im sure a lot depends on the attitude and motivations of the person asking, so what are your thoughts or understandings in these matters?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 05:02:04 AM by OrthoDisco »

Offline mikeforjesus

• OC.net guru
Re: How much do you tell?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 05:10:50 AM »
If you are not telling because you are ashamed that is a problem I mean if the evangelical is bold telling everything to you you should also. But if you just introduce St Mary out of nowhere without them forcing their beliefs to you it is like giving pearls to swine
Answer a fool according to his folly lest he be wise in his own opinion. However the verse before it verse 4 means you should not start preaching another time because he does that often only when you are once force fed something  to defend the faith

Proverbs 26
4 Do not answer a fool according to his folly,
Lest you also be like him.
5 Answer a fool according to his folly,
Lest he be wise in his own eyes
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 05:12:47 AM by mikeforjesus »