Author Topic: Lust  (Read 2115 times)

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
Re: Lust
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2016, 02:12:11 PM »
Do we have saints who wrote extensively about battling against lust? St. Mary of Egypt and St. Moses the Ethiopian are known greatly for this kind of struggle, but neither of them left anything written... The Ladder of Divine Ascent by St. John Climacus has some excerpts on lust, but I was looking forward for more.

There are many saints to write about these things. St. Mary of Egypt, St Moses the Hungarian, St Photine the Samaritan Woman, St Thais the Former Harlot, St Pelagia the Former Courtesan, St Zlata the New Martyr, Saints Boniface and Aglais, St Eudocia, St Thomais, St Pelagia, Virgin Martyr of Rome, St Marcella, St Basil of Manazeya, St Niphon, Bishop of Constantiana, The Patriarch Joseph the All-Comely and St John the Much Suffering to name a few. Also rely on Holy Scripture for help, read Romans 8:6-8, 1 Corinthians 6:13-20, Galatians 5:19-21, Ephesians 5:3-6, 1 Thessalonians 4:3-5 and Jude 7.
Thank you! Can you link me some of the writings of those fathers on lust on a Western language?

I got those names out of this book. https://www.stjohnsbookstore.com/node/1528
I would have typed it myself but this forum has copywrite rules.   It's worth buying though.

Curious. From, that book did you get the notion that lust and marriage are connected in a good way?
Or anger is a gift? Or was it simply a mis-read on your part?

No, I got that from teachings of various priests and books from saints and the holy fathers. When in doubt, ask your priest.

Here is one example on how the holy fathers are trying to teach us that anger is meant to be used for battling the demons.

"Anger is by nature designed for waging war with the demons and for struggling with every kind of sinful pleasure. Therefore angels‚ arousing spiritual pleasure in us and giving us to taste its blessedness‚ incline us to direct our anger against the demons. But the demons‚ enticing us towards worldly lusts‚ make us use anger to fight with men‚ which is against nature‚ so that the mind‚ thus stupefied and darkened‚ should become a traitor to virtues." ~ Abba Evagrius the Monk

As for lust, the definition is to have a strong sexual desire. We are sexual creatures, we make babies and keep the population going, it's in our nature to breed. As long as you don't let your sexual desire get out of hand, turn into an idol, be used outside of marriage or during the wrong times.

My point on anger and lust is that we have them both, and both can be used for good instead of evil.

Could you please give us at least one example, a quote, from a Church father on "lust", and give us the page number or the source of where you read the quote.  Don't worry about copyright if you are giving us a paragraph and an exact source.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline FatherGiryus

• ποιμένα των βράχων
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Genuine New Calendar Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: Self-Ruled Antiochianistic Eparchy
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2016, 03:11:24 PM »
Lust and the sexual appetite are two different topics.

Otherwise, God is the cause of sin when He said, “I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception. In sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.”
The Commodoriate | Forthrightness, Pretentiousness, Awesome Hats.
Commodore of the Armada / Primate of the Digital Seas

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2016, 05:04:10 PM »

Otherwise, God is the cause of sin when He said, “I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception. In sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.”

That has been my understanding as well.  "Lust" is always sinful, and it's not just sexual lust.  Lust means being too consumed or attached to material means so much so that you lose self-control.  Lust for money, lust for food, lust for sex, etc.  whoever said "lust" can be used for good seems to misunderstand whatever he is reading.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Peacemaker

• OC.net guru
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2016, 08:23:02 PM »

That has been my understanding as well.  "Lust" is always sinful, and it's not just sexual lust.  Lust means being too consumed or attached to material means so much so that you lose self-control.  Lust for money, lust for food, lust for sex, etc.  whoever said "lust" can be used for good seems to misunderstand whatever he is reading.

So, can you lust after your own wife? Why is that wrong? As I said before Lust, in the dictionary, is defined as: very strong sexual desire

So, what’s being asked is: Is it okay to have a very strong sexual desire for your wife?  Short answer is: yes.  Not only is it okay, it’s encouraged it seems.  Look at Proverbs 5:19.  Now, this verse is actually fairly complicated.  Translations for it are all over the map.  Just for context, Proverbs 5:18 is talking about rejoicing in the wife of your youth.

NIV – A loving doe, a graceful deer– may her breasts satisfy you always, may you ever be intoxicated with her love.

NLT – She is a loving deer, a graceful doe. Let her breasts satisfy you always. May you always be captivated by her love.

ESV –  a lovely deer, a graceful doe. Let her breasts fill you at all times with delight; be intoxicated always in her love.

KJV – Let her be as the loving hind and pleasant roe; let her breasts satisfy thee at all times; and be thou ravished always with her love.

Why so many versions? Because the Hebrew is difficult and confusing.  But, if you look at the Hebrew, if you take a purely mechanical approach to translation, here is what you get: hind-of love and-ibex-of grace nipples-of-her they-shall-satiate-you in-every-of season in-love-of-her you-shall-err continually

What is clear is this concept of erring.  That you will be so distracted by her love (and by the context, it’s obviously sexual) that you will make mistakes.  Solomon’s hope for his son was that he would be so enamored of his wife’s body that he wouldn’t be able to think straight in her presence.  In short, that he would lust after his bride.

In Song of Solomon (or Song of Songs if you prefer), written by the same man, Solomon, he spends nearly the entirety of Chapter 7 describing the naked beauty of his new wife, and throughout the book you can see their strong sexual desire for each other.  You can’t read it and not say that they lust after each other.

The problem is that in the Bible, whenever we see the word “lust”, it’s in the context of a sin, or something bad happening, however, it also makes it clear that the lust that is wrong, is lusting after things you have no right to lust after, be it a neighbor’s possessions, or his wife, or even another god. So, just as their is good, healthy, sexual desire in a marriage, and sinful, wrong, sexual desire outside of marriage, there is good, healthy, very strong sexual desire (lust) in marriage, which is inappropriate outside of marriage.

So, can you lust after your wife?  Yeah, but that’s good thing.  Oh, and wives, you can lust after your husband as well.
This user's signature was deemed truth, declaring this forum is in violation of ecumenism by promoting dialog between schismatic groups such as Coptics and Roman Catholics, which can lead to confusion and the misdirection of people towards the wrong faith, Mor Ephrem. 

28 April 2016

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Archon
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2016, 08:35:22 PM »

Oh, REALLH?
Naw, I don't think so.
How did you get that notion?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 08:35:39 PM by LenInSebastopol »
God is the life of all free beings

Offline TheTrisagion

• Delusional Overlord
  • Hoplitarches
  • And the cat is back again.
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2016, 08:38:43 PM »
So, can you lust after your wife?  Yeah, but that’s good thing.  Oh, and wives, you can lust after your husband as well.[/b]
It is not a good thing. I going to assume you have not ever been married, but sexual desire can easily take one of two forms in marriage. One is a joint expression of love toward one another, that is love. The other is an oppressive sexual force on one party or the other. That is lust. It is a gratification of ones self without consideration for the other person. That is never good and it is extremely damaging in a marriage.
If your leg causes you to creak, cut it off.  It is better to practice hesychasm with one leg than with two legs, one noisy, to abandon silence and the prayer.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Supreme Commander of the Joint Armed Warrior Services (JAWS) of the Oriental Orthodox Church
  • Protostrator
  • "You have car, but no insurance?"
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2016, 09:44:28 PM »
As I said before Lust, in the dictionary, is defined as: very strong sexual desire

Do you get all of your theology out of "the dictionary"? 
Mor has an open appeal. This we knew already.

Mor suffers from Invincible Ignorance and is guaranteed salvation according to the Roman Catholic Church.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Archon
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2016, 10:32:57 PM »

So, can you lust after your own wife? Why is that wrong? As I said before Lust, in the dictionary, is defined as: very strong sexual desire
So, what’s being asked is: Is it okay to have a very strong sexual desire for your wife?  Short answer is: yes.  Not only is it okay, it’s encouraged it seems.  Look at Proverbs 5:19.  Now, this verse is actually fairly complicated.  Translations for it are all over the map.  Just for context, Proverbs 5:18 is talking about rejoicing in the wife of your youth.

Yes, a person can have lust for their spouse, and it is a sin. It is not OK.
Is that a short enough answer?

{Merciful deletion}

What is clear is this concept of erring.  That you will be so distracted by her love (and by the context, it’s obviously sexual) that you will make mistakes.  Solomon’s hope for his son was that he would be so enamored of his wife’s body that he wouldn’t be able to think straight in her presence.  In short, that he would lust after his bride.
In Song of Solomon (or Song of Songs if you prefer), written by the same man, Solomon, he spends nearly the entirety of Chapter 7 describing the naked beauty of his new wife, and throughout the book you can see their strong sexual desire for each other.  You can’t read it and not say that they lust after each other.

Young couples could be so distracted but it is not the case shortly after marriage, and that is in a good marriage, not the kind derided in the media. After a time blessed maturity steps in, hopefully, and the rest of life is learning about each other and the ways not only around the bed, but the rest of the dwelling as well as work, the outside world, friends, church and if their blessed, offspring. Afterwards, in their dotage  they can return to sexual life or even enjoy  each other similar to close siblings.

The problem is that in the Bible, whenever we see the word “lust”, it’s in the context of a sin, or something bad happening, however, it also makes it clear that the lust that is wrong, is lusting after things you have no right to lust after, be it a neighbor’s possessions, or his wife, or even another god. So, just as their is good, healthy, sexual desire in a marriage, and sinful, wrong, sexual desire outside of marriage, there is good, healthy, very strong sexual desire (lust) in marriage, which is inappropriate outside of marriage.
So, can you lust after your wife?  Yeah, but that’s good thing.  Oh, and wives, you can lust after your husband as well.

Does this mean The Bible is the problem according to you , or us thinking our own thoughts and then believing what we thought up?
As state previously by Minasoliman, that as one partner is selfish and treats the other as object and not as person, then the sin of lust is committed.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 10:35:10 PM by LenInSebastopol »

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2016, 11:04:23 PM »
Peacemaker, I asked a very simple question.  You claim to get your ideas from a specific prayer book and "the fathers".  Just give me a quote to support your assertion on the word "lust".  Otherwise, we are only going by the English fathers Webster and Oxford, not by anything substantial from the HOLY fathers.

God is not a God of confusion.  It is clear you're introducing confusion and not backing up your claims when other people, who even have married experience, disagree with you.  Lust of wife, lust of ANYTHING, even non-sexual matters, is sin.  As is explained by others before this post, there is a difference between healthy sexual desire and lust.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 11:05:20 PM by minasoliman »

Offline Peacemaker

• OC.net guru
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2016, 02:02:00 AM »
I've already explained myself, if you can't understand that then

Enjoy your bickering, trying to figure out the answers on your own without speaking to a priest as I have said and hoping to justify your answers based on what you want to hear. If I wanted to self interrupt this stuff I would join a Protestant church. That's one of the major problems with this forum, it's all self interruption and personal opinions. To make matters worse you have Coptics, Roman Catholics (both schismatics and not in communion with the True Faith) and Protestants (which are in their own category) spewing their theology in the mix. I'm done, this website is a cancer for the Orthodox faith and I hope it gets shut down because it does nothing but feed the egotistic trolls (looking at you  Mor Ephrem and TheTrisagion) while confusing and hurting the genuine seekers. You people get upset because you don't get your way or you call people wrong because you hear something you don't like. The world doesn't owe you anything, stop acting like it.

*shutting the door behind me, locking it and setting the building on fire*

Good day, God help you, forgive me and may your angel be with you.
This user's signature was deemed truth, declaring this forum is in violation of ecumenism by promoting dialog between schismatic groups such as Coptics and Roman Catholics, which can lead to confusion and the misdirection of people towards the wrong faith, Mor Ephrem. 

28 April 2016

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Supreme Commander of the Joint Armed Warrior Services (JAWS) of the Oriental Orthodox Church
  • Protostrator
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2016, 09:01:58 AM »

Enjoy your bickering, trying to figure out the answers on your own without speaking to a priest as I have said and hoping to justify your answers based on what you want to hear. If I wanted to self interrupt this stuff I would join a Protestant church. That's one of the major problems with this forum, it's all self interruption and personal opinions. To make matters worse you have Coptics, Roman Catholics (both schismatics and not in communion with the True Faith) and Protestants (which are in their own category) spewing their theology in the mix. I'm done, this website is a cancer for the Orthodox faith and I hope it gets shut down because it does nothing but feed the egotistic trolls (looking at you  Mor Ephrem and TheTrisagion) while confusing and hurting the genuine seekers. You people get upset because you don't get your way or you call people wrong because you hear something you don't like. The world doesn't owe you anything, stop acting like it.

Have a blessed Holy Week and Pascha.  I'll deal with you when I get back from church.

This thread is temporarily locked. 

Mor Ephrem, moderator

Mor suffers from Invincible Ignorance and is guaranteed salvation according to the Roman Catholic Church.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Protostrator
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2016, 02:57:13 PM »

Peacemaker,

In this post, you have engaged in ad hominem against another poster and introduced polemic in violation of the forum rules governing this section. 

Because you are no stranger to such behaviour, I am imposing a warning of forty (40) points.

If you would like to appeal this decision, please PM me. 

Mor Ephrem, moderator 

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Protostrator
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2016, 03:03:16 PM »
Thread unlocked. 

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Protostrator
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2016, 03:16:12 PM »
Enjoy your bickering, trying to figure out the answers on your own without speaking to a priest as I have said and hoping to justify your answers based on what you want to hear.

I have a theological degree, I don't really need a priest to confirm for me that your definition of "lust" is wrong.  That a priest happened to confirm it in this thread makes your protest even more foolish. 

Your time and effort would be better spent finding a parish to attend rather than in attention-seeking.   

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2016, 04:19:09 PM »
Peacemaker claims to be a hyperdox, against ecumenism, and yet he gets his sources from a Protestant:

http://sexwithinmarriage.com/is-it-a-sin-to-lust-after-your-wife/

Where are the Church fathers in this?  Plagiarism and heterodoxy all in one sadly.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 04:19:47 PM by minasoliman »

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Protostrator
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2016, 04:24:31 PM »
Peacemaker claims to be a hyperdox, against ecumenism, and yet he gets his sources from a Protestant:

http://sexwithinmarriage.com/is-it-a-sin-to-lust-after-your-wife/

Where are the Church fathers in this?  Plagiarism and heterodoxy all in one sadly.

Thanks for the tip.  In order to avoid sending him into muted status, I'll have to add a second installment of points to Peacemaker's warning level to account for these two additional rules violations I did not catch.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Archon
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2016, 06:22:11 PM »

Piffle.
Bye, bye.
I am sad only because you were corrected and given the proper way and you cover it with feigned anger, then left.
I'll get over it, as that is what we adults do but you have to live with your anger, incorrect knowledge and the passion of lust.
If you are married then she too must live with you, so I'll feel for her too.  If you are just a young horny guy, well.....been there, done that and, again, as adults do....move on dot org.

Sorry for the strong language.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 06:24:09 PM by LenInSebastopol »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Delusional Overlord
  • Hoplitarches
  • And the cat is back again.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2016, 07:12:18 PM »
I'm done, this website is a cancer for the Orthodox faith and I hope it gets shut down because it does nothing but feed the egotistic trolls (looking at you  Mor Ephrem and TheTrisagion) while confusing and hurting the genuine seekers.
You're cute when you get angry. If I wasn't married, I would totally ask you out.
If your leg causes you to creak, cut it off.  It is better to practice hesychasm with one leg than with two legs, one noisy, to abandon silence and the prayer.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
    • Blog
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of the South
« Reply #63 on: Yesterday at 01:09:42 AM »

You are my favorite wannabe monk.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"