Author Topic: The Churches opinion on the alt-right and other far right groups  (Read 440 times)

Offline Vlad

• Elder
The heading kind of states it all. I am personally sick of all the white bashing feminist social justice warrior garbage out there today and was wondering what the OC churches position is on far right groups.

Offline michaelus

• Faith: Catholic (Traditionalist)
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Biloxi
Re: The Churches opinion on the alt-right and other far right groups
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 05:07:27 AM »
Their opinion is probably pretty low, considering what happened to Matthew Heimbach.
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation is possible." - Saint Ignatius of Loyola

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 05:50:50 AM »
Who's Matthew Heimbach? 
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline IreneOlinyk

• Elder
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 08:13:52 AM »
Their opinion is probably pretty low, considering what happened to Matthew Heimbach.

Amen.  That says it all.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 08:33:49 AM »

Amen.  That says it all.

It means jack.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 10:10:13 AM »
A number of our saints were martyred by the "alt right".
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 10:49:10 AM »
Replace 'alt-right' with 'neo-Nazi' or 'white supremacist', and you wouldn't really need to ask.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline TheTrisagion

• Delusional Overlord
  • Hoplitarches
  • And the cat is back again.
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 12:08:03 PM »
I think the Church would caution against extremism of any sort whether it be right or left.
The term planet earth is an innovation which has arisen in recent centuries with the error of heliocentrism.

If one wants to confess a pure doctrine of Orthodoxy, they should be careful not to refer to the earth as a planet, unlike the current Pope as well as Patriarch Kirill and Patriarch Bartholomew, who regularly speak in error when they refer to our planet earth.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 12:42:57 PM »
I don't think what qualifies one as alt-right is very clear yet, but there are many disgusting elements in this milieu (e.g. racism, phylo-Paganism, Nazi-Fascism), so I'd recommend distance from them even if you share some ideas with it (e.g. radical conservatism, anti-leftism, skepticism toward globalism and democracy). I think the alt-right, which is a recent American phaenomenon, speaks way too much for the much wider offspring of the Nouvelle Droite, personally I reject this label categorically despite some similarities, and I know many who do the same.

A number of our saints were martyred by the "alt right".
?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 12:44:27 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 12:46:54 PM »
Saints Maria of Paris, Gorazd of Prague, Alexander Schmorell, etc.
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Merarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 01:06:02 PM »
Fascinating how nobody wants the Church to direct people on any matters of practical importance or politics, but as soon as a political group they don't like arises, they demand the Church issue statements. It's almost as tho the secular world and all the half-Orthodox (borrowing this coinage from a recent article in the Greek press) fancy themselves Ottoman or pagan rulers that want the Church to dance when they pipe or berate her.

As for whatever on earth "alt. right" could be, and all the oh-so-clever hints in the thread that such American young people are literally Nazis, I don't see how such a debate could go forward in the public forums.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 01:20:31 PM »
An example of an alt-right organization: The National Policy Institute ("For Our People, Our Culture, Our Future"), whose president coined the term "alt-right".

NPI is an independent organization dedicated to the heritage, identity, and future of  people of European descent in the United States, and around the world.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 01:24:24 PM by Jetavan »
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2017, 01:23:37 PM »
As for whatever on earth "alt. right" could be, and all the oh-so-clever hints in the thread that such American young people are literally Nazis, I don't see how such a debate could go forward in the public forums.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 01:24:00 PM by Arachne »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2017, 01:28:26 PM »

Apparently, that article caused too much trouble for the alt-right, and no longer exists on that website.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 01:30:02 PM by Jetavan »
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2017, 01:29:37 PM »

Apparently, that article was too much even for the alt-right, and no longer exists on that website.

One more occasion to be grateful to the Wayback Machine.

Offline michaelus

• Faith: Catholic (Traditionalist)
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Biloxi
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2017, 01:36:40 PM »
Let's not also forget the fact that the alt-right hates Christianity too.  Most of them are neopagans or atheists and see Christianity as a precursor to Marxism, it's sad really, how deceived they are.
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation is possible." - Saint Ignatius of Loyola

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2017, 01:56:22 PM »
Let's not also forget the fact that the alt-right hates Christianity too.  Most of them are neopagans or atheists and see Christianity as a precursor to Marxism, it's sad really, how deceived they are.
Part of what makes alt-right attractive to many (young men, especially) is that it rejects many of the obviously detrimental aspects of the modern West (drugs, mass media, etc.), and it combines this counter-culturalism with a life based on discipline, reason, and a sort of spiritual freedom (often drawing upon pre-Christian European cultures). One alt-right article suggests how the opioid epidemic can be countered:

Only by keeping a clear head and direct access to emotions does one have any chance of finding proper role-models and overcoming the detrimental modern worldview. Every day should be used to make ourselves more independent from the lifestyle which causes anxiety and depression. By reading daily, learning skills, becoming more self-sufficient, and putting ourselves in the context of an ancestral story, we have a chance of achieving freedom; yet, no such thing will be achieved as quickly as the effects of a pill are felt. It takes time, intellect, effort, and strength. When we begin to separate ourselves from the modern world, truth, freedom, and identity await.

A member of Asatru (a form of contemporary Paganism that draws upon the Old Nordic culture and that emphasizes virtues like self-sufficiency and freedom) would probably read this paragraph and wholeheartedly agree. What makes the alt-right so seductive is that it mixes an invigorating counter-culturalism with an often xenophobic white nationalism.
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2017, 02:24:45 PM »
P.S. The opioid quote is from the article "Opium Has Become The Opiate Of The Masses" at alternativeright.com. The article doesn't have its own web address.
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Vlad

• Elder
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2017, 03:04:29 PM »
Replace 'alt-right' with 'neo-Nazi' or 'white supremacist', and you wouldn't really need to ask.

Really? You think thats what it means...wanting to preserve your people and nation over the onslaught of third world and muslim immigration. Being upset at political correctness radical feminists and Europe being over ran by muslims with European women being raped by the thousands (not to mention what goes on in the middle east) makes you a neo-nazi? Wow you must be sad Hillary lost

Offline Vlad

• Elder
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2017, 03:06:18 PM »
An example of an alt-right organization: The National Policy Institute ("For Our People, Our Culture, Our Future"), whose president coined the term "alt-right".

NPI is an independent organization dedicated to the heritage, identity, and future of  people of European descent in the United States, and around the world.

That part sounds fine to me.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2017, 03:08:47 PM »

Really? You think thats what it means...wanting to preserve your people and nation over the onslaught of third world and muslim immigration. Being upset at political correctness radical feminists and Europe being over ran by muslims with European women being raped by the thousands (not to mention what goes on in the middle east) makes you a neo-nazi? Wow you must be sad Hillary lost

LOL, so much fear.

Offline Vlad

• Elder
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2017, 03:09:34 PM »

Apparently, that article caused too much trouble for the alt-right, and no longer exists on that website.
Well thats a bit over the edge...dang. I highly doubt that speaks for all alt-right people though.

Offline Vlad

• Elder
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2017, 03:13:19 PM »
To me alt-right means in the American political sense literally an alternative right. One that is needed because all of our typical Washington neo-cons bow to big money, anything Israel says, political correctness, who care more about "free trade" than the workers of their own nation and essentially are just democrats with an R in front of them. I see it as just something to fight the old system with.

Offline Vlad

• Elder
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2017, 03:13:52 PM »

LOL, so much fear.
You want to answer my question? How does that make you a neo-nazi? Or just be a snarky liberal?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 03:14:43 PM by Vlad »

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2017, 03:16:00 PM »
To me alt-right means in the American political sense literally an alternative right. One that is needed because all of our typical Washington neo-cons bow to big money, anything Israel says, political correctness, who care more about "free trade" than the workers of their own nation and essentially are just democrats with an R in front of them. I see it as just something to fight the old system with.

No politics on this board, please and thank you.~A

Offline Vlad

• Elder
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2017, 03:46:17 PM »

NIce way to dodge answer my question. Typical liberal ;)

Offline Pravoslavbob

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Out for a stroll...
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: You betcha!
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2017, 03:47:00 PM »

Apparently, that article was too much even for the alt-right, and no longer exists on that website.

One more occasion to be grateful to the Wayback Machine.

Yes indeed.

Bingo.
Atheists have noetic deficiencies.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2017, 03:47:56 PM »

NIce way to dodge answer my question. Typical liberal ;)

Arguing with moderation in public is also against site rules.~A

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2017, 04:09:36 PM »
As for whatever on earth "alt. right" could be, and all the oh-so-clever hints in the thread that such American young people are literally Nazis,

No need for hints, they're quite open about being literally Nazis.

But that hole in the sand has never steered your head wrong before, right?

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
    • Return to Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2017, 04:22:10 PM »
I'll wait until this inevitably gets tossed into politics before commenting at length, but suffice it to say, as michaelus has alrady mentioned, the Church's position on "white nationalism" and the like - which seems to be inextricably linked to the ideology of much of what constitutes the so-called "alt-right" - was made clear in the Matthew Heimbach case.

The article Arachne linked to via the Wayback Machine is not "a little extreme".  It is repulsive, anti-Christ filth.  If you believe that "race-mixing", etc., is bad, you are not a Christian.
Worship is theology, so a church which brings Evangelical and Charismatic "praise & worship" into its corporate life is no longer Orthodox.  It is, by definition, heterodox.  Those "Orthodox" leaders who make theological arguments for the incorporation of heteropraxis into the life of the Church are heretics.

http://returntoorthodoxy.com/

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Merarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2017, 04:52:54 PM »
As for whatever on earth "alt. right" could be, and all the oh-so-clever hints in the thread that such American young people are literally Nazis,

No need for hints, they're quite open about being literally Nazis.

But that hole in the sand has never steered your head wrong before, right?

Like that avoidance of defining your terms and clarifying the significance of your data points has never steered you and your pals wrong? The so-called alternative right are overwhelmingly just young Republicans without any unusual racial opinions at all. The conflation and hysteria is only abject self indulgence and self deceit on the part of young Democrats and the media that courts them.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2017, 05:04:41 PM »
Thread locked pending review.

Mor Ephrem, moderator
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.