Author Topic: Fr. Josiah Trenham's funeral for America  (Read 3443 times)

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Archon
Re: Fr. Josiah Trenham's funeral for America
« Reply #225 on: July 19, 2015, 09:04:05 AM »
Now THAT'S American!
Mark 14:36
God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us

Offline Iconodule

• Uranopolitan
  • Taxiarches
  • "My god is greater."
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #226 on: July 19, 2015, 11:04:55 AM »
Is that a schemabeer?

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #227 on: July 20, 2015, 10:18:27 AM »
Back to the OP: I found a photo of the 'black vestments':

Very traditionally Orthodox, and will keep you cool in the summer...    :angel:

Our priest will only let us use icons, key chains or coffee cups as banquet type mementos.  :(

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #228 on: July 20, 2015, 10:44:42 AM »
Awesome!

Offline FatherGiryus

• A terrible human being
  • Archon
  • Faith: Genuine New Calendar Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: Self-Ruled Antiochianistic Eparchy
« Reply #229 on: July 20, 2015, 10:49:43 AM »
Back to the OP: I found a photo of the 'black vestments':

Very traditionally Orthodox, and will keep you cool in the summer...    :angel:

Our priest will only let us use icons, key chains or coffee cups as banquet type mementos.  :(

Interestingly enough, I think the design must have originally had an icon at the center, but it was pulled for whatever reason in favor of the rather awkward text inside the circle.

I didn't see it this way, but one of my friends made this comparison:

No, no, no... I am not making a comparison between the Caliphate and St. Andrew parish, etc.  Just a comparison between Arabic text in circles.

I've never been too comfortable with icon keychains and watches.  I appreciate the absence of icons on this, though I would say the overall design is 'unusual.'  Especially the Pirate Map X in the upper left corner...   :o
http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #230 on: July 20, 2015, 10:58:23 AM »
So, the Arabic in the circle says "Not for use with beer or other intoxicating brews or spirits."

Nah. ;)

Offline FatherGiryus

• A terrible human being
  • Archon
« Reply #231 on: July 20, 2015, 11:01:09 AM »
So, the Arabic in the circle says "Not for use with beer or other intoxicating brews or spirits."

Nah. ;)

I can't read Arabic, but knowing what I know about white, lower-middle class converts, they may have gotten Google translate to spit out something about avoiding GMO foods or gluten-intolerance...    ;D
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb

Offline Shamati

« Reply #232 on: July 26, 2015, 05:46:16 AM »
To me, it just means marriage has been abolished; there is no more marriage in either Western Europe & USA. These societies are moving back to a pagan culture & this movement has been going on, slowly, since the 'enlightenment'. Feelings are of prime importance & the goal for such a culture is to secure as much freedom as possible for every individual to act on his/her feelings. This is much intertwined with the fundamental belief that all that exists is matter & that the universe & humans are just dying machines.

Marriage is more than just any contract. It's a Christian sacrament. Many homosexuals say that they agree with their partners to share the household but that each will have the freedom to meet with others as much as they want. Marriage is about the children & giving them a stable environment. Even a materialist can see the rationale of it by just observing the physical traits of the bodies of the 2 genders.

Next step is the legalization of polygamy & other 'marriages' between any 2 or more adults because it's impossible to argue against it with these premises of theirs.

The church has been in a similar situation before, where it's views are seen as treasonous & evil & bigoted.

I like Fr Josiah, he seems to be a spirited man & I mourn for him mourning for his country.

In Sweden, the church is only commenting on the exponential growth of anti-Christian expressions of culture with citations from the gospel that 'God is Love' & 'God is merciful'. I wouldn't want a church like that, that doesn't relate Christ to the practical & moral matters the faithful will experience in the contemporary society.

The church should notify the people that this is against the law of God, in case they believed otherwise & let them make up their own mind.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 05:52:33 AM by Shamati »

Offline FinnJames

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
« Reply #233 on: July 26, 2015, 06:30:17 AM »
Many homosexuals say that they agree with their partners to share the household but that each will have the freedom to meet with others as much as they want.

To give voice to those who don't post here or are afraid to comment, many homosexuals agree with their partners to share a household and to remain sexually faithful to each other, even when bedroom relations die. This is the case among all of the gay and lesbian couples I know who are actively involved in a church and some who are not.

Many heterosexual partners cheat on each other by having sex outside the marriage. But I wouldn't want to paint all heterosexual couples with the same brush.

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox. Truly, madly, deeply
« Reply #234 on: July 26, 2015, 06:45:54 AM »
Many homosexuals say that they agree with their partners to share the household but that each will have the freedom to meet with others as much as they want.

How many of those you have met yourself?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 06:55:12 AM by Alpo »
The user should probably be sleeping by now.

Offline Clemente

• Elder
« Reply #235 on: July 26, 2015, 10:27:28 AM »

To give voice to those who don't post here or are afraid to comment, many homosexuals agree with their partners to share a household and to remain sexually faithful to each other, even when bedroom relations die. This is the case among all of the gay and lesbian couples I know who are actively involved in a church and some who are not.

Many heterosexual partners cheat on each other by having sex outside the marriage. But I wouldn't want to paint all heterosexual couples with the same brush.

That may be true. But your drawing a parallel between homosexual and heterosexual couples is a dangerous deception. There is no moral equivalency between monogamous homosexual and heterosexual couples. There are no examples from the Bible or the Fathers of homosexual couples, whether sexually active or not, being blessed by God or the Church.

There are plenty of heterosexual couples, including a prophet with a prostitute, that are blessed by God in Scripture.

Homosexuality is only seen in a negative light in Orthodox Christianity. It is mentioned as the path to darkness and death by many Fathers.

To draw the moral equivalency of these two is self deception, no matter how many Finnish Orthodox priests apparently overlook or even exalt the sin of homosexuality. Orthodoxy is not Anglicanism, which justifies changing Apostolic doctrine under the aegis of "reason".

As for unrepentant homosexuals being fully involved in the Church, that may be big in Finland, but I hope such heresy is not widespread in other jurisdictions.

Offline FinnJames

« Reply #236 on: July 26, 2015, 02:08:02 PM »

That may be true. But your drawing a parallel between homosexual and heterosexual couples is a dangerous deception. There is no moral equivalency between monogamous homosexual and heterosexual couples. There are no examples from the Bible or the Fathers of homosexual couples, whether sexually active or not, being blessed by God or the Church.

There are plenty of heterosexual couples, including a prophet with a prostitute, that are blessed by God in Scripture.

Homosexuality is only seen in a negative light in Orthodox Christianity. It is mentioned as the path to darkness and death by many Fathers.

To draw the moral equivalency of these two is self deception, no matter how many Finnish Orthodox priests apparently overlook or even exalt the sin of homosexuality. Orthodoxy is not Anglicanism, which justifies changing Apostolic doctrine under the aegis of "reason".

As for unrepentant homosexuals being fully involved in the Church, that may be big in Finland, but I hope such heresy is not widespread in other jurisdictions.

Thank you for stating your opinion so lovingly. It's one I hadn't heard before.

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #237 on: July 26, 2015, 03:43:22 PM »

Judging whole local churces based on individual posts on an internet forum. Just another instance of OC.net being OC.net. I love internets.

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #238 on: July 26, 2015, 03:51:19 PM »
I had hoped the funeral thread was dead and buried. I guess you can't keep some threads interred where they belong.

Offline Clemente

• Elder
« Reply #239 on: July 26, 2015, 05:17:43 PM »

Thank you for stating your opinion so lovingly. It's one I hadn't heard before.

I forgot to put a smiley face, which is de rigueur for all gay threads here.  :)

Offline Clemente

• Elder
« Reply #240 on: July 26, 2015, 05:20:12 PM »

Judging whole local churces based on individual posts on an internet forum. Just another instance of OC.net being OC.net. I love internets.
I don't judge the Finnish Church based on one individual post. That's just silly.  :)

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #241 on: July 26, 2015, 05:54:41 PM »

I don't judge the Finnish Church based on one individual post. That's just silly.  :)

If that's the case my humble suggestion would be not to talk about heresy being big or sin being overlooked in our church.

Offline FatherGiryus

• A terrible human being
  • Archon
« Reply #242 on: July 26, 2015, 06:11:50 PM »
I had hoped the funeral thread was dead and buried. I guess you can't keep some threads interred where they belong.

It's a zombie thread... aim for the head!

Offline Clemente

• Elder
« Reply #243 on: July 26, 2015, 06:14:44 PM »

If that's the case my humble suggestion would be not to talk about heresy being big or sin being overlooked in our church.

If my understanding of the current controversy regarding homosexuality in the Finnish Orthodox Church is incorrect, I happily ask forgiveness. A number of sources I have read about the Church, the Orthodox Rainbow Society and involvement in the movement the Community suggest otherwise. But I would happy to be wrong here. :)

Offline FinnJames

« Reply #244 on: Yesterday at 12:03:50 AM »

]If my understanding of the current controversy regarding homosexuality in the Finnish Orthodox Church is incorrect, I happily ask forgiveness. A number of sources I have read about the Church, the Orthodox Rainbow Society and involvement in the movement the Community suggest otherwise. But I would happy to be wrong here. :)

In my experience of the Finnish OC, contrary to those alarmist reports that appeared on the net, you are wrong. What does seem to set the Finnish Church apart is that the topic has been discussed in print with a fair degree of civility rather than shut down by pointing to canon law or tradition. The official Church position on homosexuality here does not differ from that of other Orthodox churches.

So don't worry, be happy!

Offline Misplaced Book

• Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Constantinople
« Reply #245 on: Yesterday at 01:19:44 AM »

]If my understanding of the current controversy regarding homosexuality in the Finnish Orthodox Church is incorrect, I happily ask forgiveness. A number of sources I have read about the Church, the Orthodox Rainbow Society and involvement in the movement the Community suggest otherwise. But I would happy to be wrong here. :)

In my experience of the Finnish OC, contrary to those alarmist reports that appeared on the net, you are wrong. What does seem to set the Finnish Church apart is that the topic has been discussed in print with a fair degree of civility rather than shut down by pointing to canon law or tradition. The official Church position on homosexuality here does not differ from that of other Orthodox churches.

So don't worry, be happy!

Dialogue is great, but it has to have a point.   

Why are we having this "Dialogue?"

It seems that those with an axe to grind against Tradition want to keep :dialoging" until they get their way.

Endless dialogue seems to be the thing in our present era.

At some point, the discussion has to end....because there is nothing more to talk about.

Homosexuals are people too:  YES
Homosexuals are not deserving of contempt and/or violence:  YES
Homosexuals can be monogamous:  SURE
Homosexuals can get "married." : NO

What more is there to say and/or talk about?    Where is this all going?
“What I see around me would drive me insane if I did not know that no matter what happens, God will have the last word.”- St. Paisios the Athonite

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #246 on: Yesterday at 11:56:27 AM »
This is sort of like when I told my mom I wanted to move out when I went to college, and she said, "why are you leaving me?" and I said, "I'm not leaving you mom." And then this went on and on until I just decided to commute ....

Like I said. I agree with you sermons should be on Christ and the the Gospel. But when judicial meteors happen, we should be able to cut the priest some slack and let him dress in black and talk about what just happened ...

Besides talk about being overdramatic.

So you have nothing constructive to contribute other than some mommy issues, "neener neener neener", and the principle that the Church's liturgy is the plaything of the priest.  Got it.

And, when a real meteor comes, we can switch to Galactic Purple:

Fr. G,

Did you get that from here?

http://badvestments.blogspot.com/

Btw, it's a shame that the blog hasn't been updated in 2.5 years.

Offline FatherGiryus

• A terrible human being
  • Archon
« Reply #247 on: Yesterday at 12:10:00 PM »
This is sort of like when I told my mom I wanted to move out when I went to college, and she said, "why are you leaving me?" and I said, "I'm not leaving you mom." And then this went on and on until I just decided to commute ....

Like I said. I agree with you sermons should be on Christ and the the Gospel. But when judicial meteors happen, we should be able to cut the priest some slack and let him dress in black and talk about what just happened ...

Besides talk about being overdramatic.

So you have nothing constructive to contribute other than some mommy issues, "neener neener neener", and the principle that the Church's liturgy is the plaything of the priest.  Got it.

And, when a real meteor comes, we can switch to Galactic Purple:

Fr. G,

Did you get that from here?

http://badvestments.blogspot.com/

Btw, it's a shame that the blog hasn't been updated in 2.5 years.

No.

Yes.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #248 on: Yesterday at 03:42:55 PM »
I miss Bad Vestments too.