Author Topic: Receiving the Eucharist away from home  (Read 501 times)

Offline ec0684

• Lord Have Mercy...
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Antiochian
Receiving the Eucharist away from home
« on: May 02, 2015, 01:51:54 AM »
As a recent convert to Orthodoxy I have a question about receiving the Eucharist at a Church under a different self-governing body that my home Church.

If I belong to the Antiochian Orthodox Church and am traveling and attend say a Greek or Russian Orthodox Church can I simply go up and receive the Eucharist, or before the service should I tell an usher or a priest that I'm visiting and want to commune, or ??

Thanks.

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
Re: Receiving the Eucharist away from home
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 06:53:10 AM »
Well, if the parish you visit has an attendance of 20 people it might be a good idea to announce oneself. If the attendance is eg. 20 times higher, don't bother.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Stratopedarches
  • "In those days I will pour out my Spirit..."
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 10:29:19 AM »
Well, if the parish you visit has an attendance of 20 people it might be a good idea to announce oneself. If the attendance is eg. 20 times higher, don't bother.

This, more or less.  Personally, I would try to speak to the priest in advance (e.g., phone call, email) if at all possible.  If you're just showing up that morning, you can try to speak with the priest if you're early enough, or you can introduce yourself to someone there and see how things work there, but I wouldn't worry too much about just getting on the Communion line and approaching.  If he wants, the priest will ask you about who you are (happened to me a couple of times).   
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Online Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • OC.net guru
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: Sth different than my heart belongs to
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 02:00:57 PM »

This, more or less.  Personally, I would try to speak to the priest in advance (e.g., phone call, email) if at all possible.  If you're just showing up that morning, you can try to speak with the priest if you're early enough, or you can introduce yourself to someone there and see how things work there, but I wouldn't worry too much about just getting on the Communion line and approaching.  If he wants, the priest will ask you about who you are (happened to me a couple of times).
+1
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

Online Gamliel

• Archon
  • ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστον βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 02:32:39 PM »
Maybe in general, but it depends where you go.  I am Greek Orthodox.  I once visited a ROCOR Church, for them I think the ones who received the Eucharist confessed recently.  It was a little more closed.

Offline underzealousconvert94

• All ye saints, pray to God for me a sinner.
  • Faith: Orthodox Christianity
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR - Old Rite
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 06:56:25 PM »
As a recent convert to Orthodoxy I have a question about receiving the Eucharist at a Church under a different self-governing body that my home Church.

If I belong to the Antiochian Orthodox Church and am traveling and attend say a Greek or Russian Orthodox Church can I simply go up and receive the Eucharist, or before the service should I tell an usher or a priest that I'm visiting and want to commune, or ??

Thanks.

I would talk to the priest before hand.  It would save any potential embarrassment.
All of our hope, we place in thee O Mother of God, do preserve us under thy shelter.

Offline TheMathematician

• OC.net guru
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 08:25:32 PM »

Thanks.

I would talk to the priest before hand.  It would save any potential embarrassment.

And with this, if the jurisdiction requires confession before communion, then you will have the chance to do so

Online Czar Lazar

• Jurisdiction: Манастир Нова Грачаница
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 08:33:07 PM »

And with this, if the jurisdiction requires confession before communion, then you will have the chance to do so

Depending on the Church/priest, a confession may be required and it may be required that the specific priest giving out communion be the one that hears it; not say your home church and then communing at the other church. As stated by most of the others, a heads up before hand to the priest/church or someone would be a good idea.

Offline Yurysprudentsiya

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • God, the Great, the Only, Keep for Us Our Ukraine!
  • Jurisdiction: OCA, with a love for the UOC-USA
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 08:36:49 PM »
Yes, communicating ahead of time, if possible, is the best idea.

If traveling abroad, it also would not hurt to carry with you a letter from your present parish priest stating that you are an Orthodox Christian in good standing with your home parish.

Online Czar Lazar

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 08:45:22 PM »

If traveling abroad, it also would not hurt to carry with you a letter from your present parish priest stating that you are an Orthodox Christian in good standing with your home parish.

Nice touch, I never though of that.

Offline JTLoganville

• Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 08:58:00 PM »
Also keep in mind that the Patriarchate of Antioch is in communion with the Copts but the Patriarchate of Moscow is not.

Therefore if planning to Commune in a Coptic church be sure to specify that you are Antiochian.

Offline Yurysprudentsiya

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 09:02:02 PM »
JTLoganville:

This is true of the Syriac Orthodox Church of Antioch, to be sure, but are you implying that the Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch is in communion with the (Coptic) Orthodox Patriarchate of Alexandria?

There is an agreement which was entered into in 1991 or so between the Greek and Syriac Orthodox Patriarchates of Antioch, and which has been used to permit intercommunion in certain circumstances because of specific needs among the faithful in the Middle East.  But this agreement presently stops far short of resolving all of the issues which would allow one of these churches to say that it is "in communion" with the other.

Or has something happened recently of which I am not aware?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 09:02:39 PM by Yurysprudentsiya »

Online Czar Lazar

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 09:02:06 PM »
Also keep in mind that the Patriarchate of Antioch is in communion with the Copts

I was not aware of this; is this true?

Offline JTLoganville

• Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2015, 10:14:25 PM »
Also keep in mind that the Patriarchate of Antioch is in communion with the Copts

I was not aware of this; is this true?

In a limited sense, based on an answer that my Protopresbyter Priest gave to a question put to him in an adult forum Christian Education class.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 10:14:51 PM by JTLoganville »

Offline OrthodoxInTheDesert

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2015, 05:43:02 AM »
This is de facto true (if not de jure). The AOCNA will commune any Copt so long as there is not a Coptic Church in town and that the Copt intends to make the AOCNA parish in question their parish whilst staying in or living in the geographic area.

Online Czar Lazar

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2015, 11:48:52 AM »
This is de facto true (if not de jure). The AOCNA will commune any Copt so long as there is not a Coptic Church in town and that the Copt intends to make the AOCNA parish in question their parish whilst staying in or living in the geographic area.

What is  AOCNA?

Offline OrthodoxInTheDesert

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2015, 11:50:00 AM »
Antiochian Orthodox Church of North America

Online Czar Lazar

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2015, 12:02:18 PM »

I may be misunderstand this, so please correct me if needed. If I understand correctly, the Antioch Church, which is EO, allows Coptic Christians who are OO, to take communion in their churches. This seems like is would cause an issue with the other EO churches and Antioch, has this been the case?

Offline Yurysprudentsiya

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2015, 08:42:35 PM »

I may be misunderstand this, so please correct me if needed. If I understand correctly, the Antioch Church, which is EO, allows Coptic Christians who are OO, to take communion in their churches. This seems like is would cause an issue with the other EO churches and Antioch, has this been the case?

I have seen individual situations in both the OCA and the UOC-USA where Oriental Orthodox were communed.  In the cases with which I am familiar, those Oriental Orthodox were known to the relevant parish priest and, presumably, had discussed the situation with him, discussions to which I was not privy.

It is my anecdotal observation that the practice, on an individual level, is far more widespread than some recognize, particularly in places where persecution is rampant and where the Oriental Orthodox are without nearby parishes in the diaspora.

I do not have a listing of each North American jurisdiction's view on the matter.  I'm sure that there are some who would be more reluctant than others to do this.  But, in my limited awareness of such things, I'm not at all aware of this being an actively-debated "issue" anywhere in inter-jurisdictional discussions in North America.

Online Czar Lazar

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2015, 09:20:30 PM »
thanks for shedding some light and background on this matter.

Offline TheTrisagion

• The cat is back and its better than ever!
  • Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2015, 11:01:33 PM »

I don't know if it has caused any issues, but Antioch has had a practice for awhile of communing OO Christians and vice versa. We have several Copts that commune in our parish. There remains a prohibition on OO priests and EO priest concelebrating. For much of AOCNA, there is an opinion that reunion with the OO is for all intents and purposes a done deal. I realize that other jurisdictions are much less liberal in their policy and opinion on the matter, however.
Will we all have to prove our Orthodoxy by adopting St Nicholas avatars now?

Online Czar Lazar

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2015, 11:03:29 PM »
For much of AOCNA, there is an opinion that reunion with the OO is for all intents and purposes a done deal. I realize that other jurisdictions are much less liberal in their policy and opinion on the matter, however.

That is what I was driving at. This would seem to be an issue for, if not all, then at least some of the other EO in North America -- I would think. I would think the Serbian Church would probably take issue with it.

Offline TheTrisagion

• The cat is back and its better than ever!
  • Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2015, 11:05:07 PM »
For much of AOCNA, there is an opinion that reunion with the OO is for all intents and purposes a done deal. I realize that other jurisdictions are much less liberal in their policy and opinion on the matter, however.

That is what I was driving at. This would seem to be an issue for, if not all, then at least some of the other EO in North America -- I would think. I would think the Serbian Church would probably take issue with it.
I believe that who a bishop directs his priests to commune largely remains an internal matter. I suspect the Serbian Church is not willing to follow suit, but it isn't like they can tell Antioch who they can and can't commune.
Will we all have to prove our Orthodoxy by adopting St Nicholas avatars now?

Online Czar Lazar

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2015, 11:09:49 PM »

I believe that who a bishop directs his priests to commune largely remains an internal matter. I suspect the Serbian Church is not willing to follow suit, but it isn't like they can tell Antioch who they can and can't commune.

I am not saying that anyone can tell Antioch who they can commune with. I am saying that communing with OO may cause issues with Antioch's communion with other EO churches.

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2015, 08:36:31 AM »

Overkill.

Offline Yurysprudentsiya

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2015, 10:40:30 AM »
The advice came from a well connected priest because of the fact that three major Orthodox bodies are operating in Ukraine.  It cannot hurt in any circumstance, particularly if one is in a land where ones mother tongue is not widely spoken.   

Better to have and not need than to need and not have. 

Offline WPM

• Revolutionary Writer
  • Archon
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2015, 11:01:52 AM »
Is the body and blood of Christ offered in the communion cup through a special spoon

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Stratopedarches
  • "In those days I will pour out my Spirit..."
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2015, 04:05:23 PM »

Overkill.

No, not really.   
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Offline Joha

• Elder
  • Κύριε, σῶσόν με! Κύριε, ἐλέησον!
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2015, 04:14:21 PM »

Overkill.

No, not really.   

And if it where... better save than sorry.
Philippians 1:6 "Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ"
Psalm 57:2 "I will cry out to God Most High, To God who performs all things for me."