Author Topic: Tell Me How Fr Seraphim Rose Has Blessed You  (Read 359 times)

Offline lbrody

• Receive simply the Faith passed down to you
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: San Francisco - Diocese of the west
Tell Me How Fr Seraphim Rose Has Blessed You
« on: August 21, 2016, 05:19:03 PM »
I was a pagan seeking Truth and Father Seraphim Rose brought me into the Church in a mystical way. I could (and should) write a short book on how it happened. It is a miracle and there is no doubt in my mind he is a Saint.

Please tell me about how Fr Seraphim Rose has been involved in your life.

This is a post for positive comments for people who have been blessed by Fr Seraphim Rose. Please no negative comments. Thank you.

Remember:
Proverbs 20:3 - "It is to one’s honor to avoid strife, but every fool is quick to quarrel."
Proverbs 29:22 -"An angry person stirs up conflict, and a hot-tempered person commits many sins."
2 Timothy 2:23,24 - "Don’t have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful.

If you don't have a story about Fr Seraphim Rose please feel free to post a positive story on how you came into the Church and if a Saint was involved.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 05:49:56 PM by lbrody »
אֶהְיֶה אֲשֶׁר אֶהְיֶה

For the Christian life is nothing if it is not a struggle against the spirit of every age for the sake of eternity." - Fr Seraphim Rose

Offline Iconodule

• Professor of Cryptopatristics at Miskatonic University
  • Merarches
  • Monsters from the Id
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
Re: Tell Me How Fr Seraphim Rose Has Blessed You
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 06:31:49 PM »
I was born on the same day Fr. Seraphim died. So Fr. Seraphim blessed me by giving me his soul.

Offline servulus

• Faith: Inquiring
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 07:43:46 PM »
His book "Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future" has helped me a great deal. It has helped me to better understand my journey from being raised Baptist, going through various evangelical and charismatic churches, then to the Catholic church and now to Orthodoxy.

Offline lbrody

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 08:29:21 PM »
His book "Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future" has helped me a great deal. It has helped me to better understand my journey from being raised Baptist, going through various evangelical and charismatic churches, then to the Catholic church and now to Orthodoxy.

Thank you. I grew up a Baptist as well and that, I believe, was one of the reasons I ended up a pagan.

Great book too!
אֶהְיֶה אֲשֶׁר אֶהְיֶה

For the Christian life is nothing if it is not a struggle against the spirit of every age for the sake of eternity." - Fr Seraphim Rose

Offline seekeroftruth777

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 09:16:51 PM »
Before coming into any contact with Orthodoxy, I was looking for any info refuting the new age movement, as it posed a significant deception for young Christians. I read his fantastic book Orthodoxy and the religion of the future as a recommendation. I was blown away, and started digging into Orthodoxy, as I was dissapointed in the post-Vatican II modern Catholicism at the time. As the old saying goes, the  rest is history.

Offline lbrody

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 09:38:51 PM »
Before coming into any contact with Orthodoxy, I was looking for any info refuting the new age movement, as it posed a significant deception for young Christians. I read his fantastic book Orthodoxy and the religion of the future as a recommendation. I was blown away, and started digging into Orthodoxy, as I was dissapointed in the post-Vatican II modern Catholicism at the time. As the old saying goes, the  rest is history.

I never had even met an Orthodox. I always thought Orthodox were monks living in caves on Mt Athos, keepers of the Holy Grail and other mysteries. Then I descended into pagan ideas and lost total faith in a personal God and Creator of the universe and eventually ended up an absurdist a la Camus' Myth of Sysiphus.

Then I was given a copy of Fr Seraphim Rose's biography and the rest is, as you say, history. (Much more happened during that period but it would take a book to write everything down.)

Thank you for your post.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 09:44:00 PM by lbrody »
אֶהְיֶה אֲשֶׁר אֶהְיֶה

Offline Porter ODoran

• Ex-Amish ex Appalachia
  • Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 12:02:16 AM »
Proverbs 20:3 - "It is to one’s honor to avoid strife, but every fool is quick to quarrel."
Proverbs 29:22 -"An angry person stirs up conflict, and a hot-tempered person commits many sins."
2 Timothy 2:23,24 - "Don’t have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful.

Are these from the Religion of the Future book?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Hinterlander

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Inquirer
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 12:07:55 AM »
Unfortunately, the Netodox here have a meme about Fr. Seraphim which explains the trolls.  Try to ignore them.

I had experienced charismatic strands of Protestantism and also was quite impressed with Alan Watts for a bit.  Fr. Seraphim's story was key encouragement in my early inquiry and helped me process some of my own history.

Offline lbrody

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 12:27:17 AM »
Unfortunately, the Netodox here have a meme about Fr. Seraphim which explains the trolls.  Try to ignore them.

I had experienced charismatic strands of Protestantism and also was quite impressed with Alan Watts for a bit.  Fr. Seraphim's story was key encouragement in my early inquiry and helped me process some of my own history.

Thanks for the heads up. I've seen them trolling around this forum. I too was big Alan Watts fan. Ironically, Watts led me to Fr Seraphim Rose.

Thanks Alan!
אֶהְיֶה אֲשֶׁר אֶהְיֶה

Offline RaphaCam

• Hyperdox kid
  • OC.net guru
  • The Lord rebuke thee, O Satan!
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 01:08:14 AM »
After my first visit to an Orthodox parish, my schoolmate lent me God's Revelation to the Human Heart. Simply reading it gave me a lot of peace of mind and easened my heart toward the Orthodox catechumenate.
But the Lord is in his holy temple: let all the earth keep silence before him. (Holy Habakkuk 2:20)

Offline lbrody

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 01:31:12 AM »
After my first visit to an Orthodox parish, my schoolmate lent me God's Revelation to the Human Heart. Simply reading it gave me a lot of peace of mind and easened my heart toward the Orthodox catechumenate.

Thank you for your post. Another good book, Revelation, by Fr Seraphim Rose with some more good quotes:

"How can a religious seeker avoid the traps and deceptions which he encounters in his search? There is only one answer to this question: a person must be in the religious search not for the sake of religious experiences, which can deceive, but for the sake of Truth. Anyone who studies religion seriously comes up against this question: it is a question literally of life and death."

Quoting Yuri Mashkov (Soviet concentration camp prisoner)

"A tragic end (suicide or madness) would have been my lot too if, to my good fortune, there had not occurred ... the greatest miracle of my life. I was reflecting on my problem: 'To be or not to be?' I had no faith ... and suddenly there came a second when somehow for the first time I saw (as if a door had opened from a dark room into a sunny street) and in the next second I already knew for sure that God exists and that God is the Jesus Christ of Orthodoxy and not some other God. I call this moment the greatest miracle because this knowledge came to me not through reason but by some other way and I am unable to explain this moment rationally."

« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 01:51:03 AM by lbrody »
אֶהְיֶה אֲשֶׁר אֶהְיֶה

Offline Porter ODoran

• Ex-Amish ex Appalachia
  • Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 04:32:20 PM »
Fascinating how those two quotations seem almost in direct opposition to each other.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Daniel2:47

• Exploring the Orthodox tradition and seeking Truth
  • Faith: Post-evangelical?
  • Jurisdiction: Newfrontiers Church UK
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 06:45:08 PM »
Fascinating how those two quotations seem almost in direct opposition to each other.

What's your problem with Fr Seraphim Rose then?

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
    • Blog
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of the South
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2016, 02:45:59 PM »
Fr. Seraphim (Rose) would appreciate the love and adulation from all the world.  This blesses me, knowing that.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"