Author Topic: How are Orthodox Saints Decided Upon  (Read 1791 times)

Offline Justinianus

• Elder
How are Orthodox Saints Decided Upon
« on: October 29, 2003, 09:39:38 PM »
How does the Orthodox Church canaonize someone to sainthood? It is well know that the Roman church uses a legalistic type process, and  needs the decision of the Pope.

Do the Orthodox decide it in a synod?  Is there a criteria that is checked?
"If we truly think of Christ as our source of holiness, we shall refrain from anything wicked or impure in thought or act and thus show ourselves to be worthy bearers of his name.  For the quality of holiness is shown not by what we say but by what w

Offline arimethea

• Getting too old for this
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Does anyone really care what you think?
Re:How are Orthodox Saints Decided Upon
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2003, 10:39:22 PM »
I will use the example of St. Raphael of Brooklyn, Shepard to the scattered sheep in America since his canonization is recent, I participated in some of the events that led his canonization and his feast day is this Saturday.

For those that do not know who St. Raphael is, he lived around the turn of the 20th century and was the Bishop to the Arab Mission here in America. He spent most of his time here in America traveling the United States, Canada and Mexico searching out those who are Orthodox and serving them.

Many in the Antiochian Archdiocese of North America where familiar with Bishop Raphael because of the credit given to him for founding of the Archdiocese and the many parishes he founded, but the actual consideration for his glorification did not start until his body was interned at the Antiochian Village during the 1980’s. When his body was moved from Brooklyn it was learned that Blessed Raphael body was intact (as opposed to the other Bishops, who where also moved, whose bodies had return to dust.) The life of St. Raphael began to be spoken at the camp located at the Antiochian Village and many of the children spread the word and the lessons learned from his life.

Serious research was also done into the life of St. Raphael at this time too. Many letter and journals (most in Arabic) began to be studied. In the mid 1990’s people had begun to have icons and troparia written of him. Many people across North America recognized Bishop Raphael to be a holy man and the groundwork was laid for his canonization.

A committee in the Antiochian Archdiocese was formed to study the life of Bishop Raphael. Eventually a report was presented to the Synod of Antioch and it was determined that it was not their place to decide this matter since Bishop Raphael was a Bishop of the Russian Church in America (now the OCA). A joint committee of Antiochian and OCA was formed to research the life Bishop Raphael. In March of 2000 the Synod of the OCA voted to canonize St. Raphael and in May of the same year the service of canonization where served.

The service consists of a final memorial service, procession with the reliques of the saint, and the Vigil and Liturgy service for the feast of the saint.

I hope this answers your question.
Joseph

Offline Justinianus

• Elder
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2003, 08:24:56 AM »
Yes it does.  Thank you.
"If we truly think of Christ as our source of holiness, we shall refrain from anything wicked or impure in thought or act and thus show ourselves to be worthy bearers of his name.  For the quality of holiness is shown not by what we say but by what w

Offline arimethea

• Getting too old for this
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Does anyone really care what you think?
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2003, 12:06:04 PM »
I should make one clarification, the faithful reconized the fact the St. Raphael was holy (saintos); when the church canonizes a saint they are proclaiming to the world a reconition of a truth. At no time did the church ever make a saint.

And another side note, when I stated that in the 1990's troparia and icons where being made of St. Rapael, they where for private use and not liturgical use. Also the icons lacked the "halo" at the point.
Joseph

Offline Chuck S.

• Place Personal Text Here
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2003, 10:23:11 PM »

The above post is very informative and gave me information that I didn't know about.

From what I know, those who are known to have lived extremely holy lives, are basically venerated (honored) highly in their life, and then when they pass on, they are honored more for finishing the race of Faith.

Eventually when enough people honor a person, the Church canonizes them as a saint. This is how it happened with the New Martyrs of Russia. During the Communist persecutions millions were martyred...but in local places, the Churches began to venerate certain people who had lived extremely holy lives, or had shown great Faith and accepted martyrdom. It may have been an important lay leader of the Church, or even a deacon of priest. After their death, the whole congregation honored them for their faith. Their story would then be told to other Churches and so on and so forth. Finally with the fall of Communism the Church could openly declare these people as saints.

Another example is in the Coptic Church. Their last Pope, Pope Kyrillios (sp?) who passed on about 30 years ago is highly venerated by the Faithful. He was given the gift of healing, performed miracles and lived a very holy life. Most Copts consider him a saint because he lived a saintly life. Though officially he has not been canonized as of yet. (because in the Coptic Church I think a person must be 'dead' 50 years before canonization)

Anyways, in all these cases these people are saints because they lived holy, saintly lives, or accepted martyrdom or passion or all the above. They are saints when alive. In the case of Pope Kyrillios, many Copts ask for his prayers privately, though Liturgically this can't be done. Canonization is basically a stamp of approval by the Church to invoke a particular saint during the Church services. As the above post said, it doesn't mean the person is made a saint, or becomes a saint at that point. They are already a saint, whether they have been Canonized or not. Canonization is just an official approval by the Church, to what is already known.

At least thats my understanding of it...I could be wrong.

In Christ, Thomas

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Protostrator
  • This dog's body intentionally left blank
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2003, 02:54:39 AM »
I'm not sure, but I think Pope Kyrillos VI is a canonised saint of the Coptic Orthodox Church.  I've seen him referred to elsewhere as "Saint Kyrillos VI".

Offline Asteriktos

• Protospatharios
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 08:13:24 AM »
I'm not sure, but I think Pope Kyrillos VI is a canonised saint of the Coptic Orthodox Church.  I've seen him referred to elsewhere as "Saint Kyrillos VI".

Can we get an update on this?
"I have been called bad before. Many have said I do things that are not, correct to do. I don't believe in such talk as this. I am nice man, with happy feelings, all of the time!"

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Άγιος κέιθ ο Υμνογράφος και Μελωδός, να μας σώσει!
    • Blog
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Russo-Finn Orthodox Church Outside Spain
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 08:50:01 AM »
I'm not sure, but I think Pope Kyrillos VI is a canonised saint of the Coptic Orthodox Church.  I've seen him referred to elsewhere as "Saint Kyrillos VI".

Can we get an update on this?

The Holy Synod of the Coptic Orthodox Church headed by H.H. Pope Tawadros II of Alexandria declared at the end of its meeting on June 20, 2013, in Cairo, Egypt, the official recognition by the Church of Pope Kyrillos VI and Archdeacon Habib Girgis as Saints. Their names are to be included in the Coptic Orthodox Synaxarium, mentioned in the Mass among the Saints of the Church, and have churches built and named after their names.
http://www.stmina-monastery.org/popekyrillos6.htm

http://coptorthodox.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-holy-synod-declares-two-new-saints.html

Maybe someone has access to the actual proclamation with translation, but this is what I keep seeing.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Archon
Re: How are Orthodox Saints Decided Upon
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 11:46:09 AM »
Ancient Faith Radio has a podcast on this, I believe from an archivist of the church.
It's been a couple of years or so since I heard it but essentially the locals realize the person is a saint and start the process via akathists, prayers to that one, and veneration.
For example there is Olga from Alaska, a Yu'Pik (Eskimo), whose people are declaring that she is a saint, and how she helped and cured sexually mistreated persons, realizing miracles,  making icons and prayers to her.....it is a matter of time and recognition by the powers that be otherwise.
Mark 14:36
God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us

Offline JoeS2

• OC.net guru
  • St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)
Re: How are Orthodox Saints Decided Upon
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 01:43:46 AM »
If Mother Teresa was Orthodox , she'd be a saint today.
Orthodox saints are recognized for their total devotion to God and leading a righteous life and helping those who are less fortunate.
There is no (3) miracle tests involved or the like as is required in the western church.
I personally consider Mother Teresa a Saint NOW for all that she has done in her holy life.  She forsaked all her worldly goods and administered to the poorest of poor with little or no finances she was able to establish charity centers throughout India.  She is a symbol of what we should be striving for in this life.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:44:16 AM by JoeS2 »