Author Topic: How to pray on this?  (Read 319 times)

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• A sinful servant of God.
  • OC.net guru
  • 1539: Seal of Ivan IV
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
How to pray on this?
« on: January 01, 2019, 05:34:29 PM »
How would you pray on this Orthodox Rosary?

it seems to be exactly like a Catholic rosary But with a Orthodox cross and a icon were the medallion would be

« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 05:34:59 PM by Orthodox_Slav »
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."-Philotheus of Pskov

Christ is risen from the dead,
Trampling down death by death,
And upon those in the tombs
Bestowing life!- Paschal troparion

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Re: How to pray on this?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 05:42:03 PM »
Probably the usual way.  Isn't it Hail Mary on the small beads, and Our Father on the bigger ones, then a mystery or something for the little icon?  Too lazy to fact check just now, so someone feel free to tell me I'm making things up!
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline theistgal

• Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 06:03:47 PM »
Yes, it looks like you could pray either the Catholic Rosary or the Orthodox Jesus Prayer on it. Very nicely made!
"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 06:21:15 PM »
There is of course the orthodox rosary promoted by Diyeyevo Monastery. You can search for it online.

There are many other short prayers Orthodox use beside the Jesus prayer- Most holy theotokos save us, lines from the psalms, etc.
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Archon
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 09:28:14 AM »
There is of course the orthodox rosary promoted by Diyeyevo Monastery. You can search for it online.

There are many other short prayers Orthodox use beside the Jesus prayer- Most holy theotokos save us, lines from the psalms, etc.

Indeed.  There are also Russian Orthodox wordings of the Hail Mary, both Old Rite and Nikonian, which are close enough to the RC version so that if you have memorized the latter, I wouldn’t see the point in learning the former.
“Moreover, Carthage must be destroyed.”
-Cato the Elder

I beg of all members of OCNet to make it their new years resolution to adopt the Golden Rule in threads and be nice to each other.  It’s the Orthodox Christian thing to do.  Be nice, and remember, in the immortal words of Patrick Swayze of blessed memory, that no one ever wins a fight.

Also, if I have ever offended you in my posts or conduct, I apologize. 

Sts. Cyril, Maximus and Mark of Ephesus, pray for us!

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• OC.net guru
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 10:50:39 AM »

Indeed.  There are also Russian Orthodox wordings of the Hail Mary, both Old Rite and Nikonian, which are close enough to the RC version so that if you have memorized the latter, I wouldn’t see the point in learning the former.

I could pray the rule of the Theotokos on it but there is the awkward beads between the Cross and the small Icon which are found on Catholic rosaries but not on the Orthodox Rosaries from Diyeyevo Monastery
which  tend to look like this:

So how would i pray on the beads between the Cross and the small Icon?

« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 10:51:16 AM by Orthodox_Slav »
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."-Philotheus of Pskov

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 11:07:47 AM »
The usual Catholic way is to start at the cross with the recitation of the Creed- they use the Apostles' creed but you can use the Nicene. Then "Our Father" for the first bead, three "Hail Mary's" for the second, and "Glory be..." for the third. Then each set of ten Hail Mary's is accompanied by meditation on some event in the life of Christ or the Theotokos. Then at the end you reach the medallion and pray, "Hail, Holy Queen..." Of course you do not have to do all of these things.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 11:07:58 AM by Iconodule »
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 11:13:14 AM »
The usual Catholic way is to start at the cross with the recitation of the Creed- they use the Apostles' creed but you can use the Nicene. Then "Our Father" for the first bead, three "Hail Mary's" for the second, and "Glory be..." for the third. Then each set of ten Hail Mary's is accompanied by meditation on some event in the life of Christ or the Theotokos. Then at the end you reach the medallion and pray, "Hail, Holy Queen..." Of course you do not have to do all of these things.

I cannot pray the Rosary as it is Catholic also Hail,Holy Queen is a Catholic Prayer
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 11:13:46 AM by Orthodox_Slav »

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 11:24:54 AM »
There is nothing heterodox in the "Hail, Holy Queen" but as I said, you can skip anything you don't want to do.

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• OC.net guru
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 12:54:11 PM »
There is nothing heterodox in the "Hail, Holy Queen" but as I said, you can skip anything you don't want to do.
OK but the Rosary itself is still catholic so i cannot say it.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 06:02:52 PM »
I've heard St. Seraphim of Sarov invented it. It's from the prayers the monks used to say. The Rejoice O Virgin, the Orthodox Creed, and the Our Father.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: North America
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 08:18:28 PM »
pray away
Jesus Prayer : the invocation of the name of Jesus, most commonly, 'Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me' , although there are a number of variant forms. Not merely a technique or a Christian mantra, but a prayer addressed to the person of Jesus Christ, expressing our living faith in Him as Son of God and Savior.

Offline theistgal

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2019, 08:57:00 PM »
I cannot pray the Rosary as it is Catholic also Hail,Holy Queen is a Catholic Prayer

You might find this helpful: "The Rosary and Orthodoxy," from a Western Rite Orthodox site. It explains how the Rosary may be prayed in a completely Orthodox manner.

https://web.archive.org/web/20050210035014/http://www.westernorthodox.com/rosary
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 08:58:08 PM by theistgal »
"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• OC.net guru
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2019, 09:48:46 PM »

You might find this helpful: "The Rosary and Orthodoxy," from a Western Rite Orthodox site. It explains how the Rosary may be prayed in a completely Orthodox manner.

https://web.archive.org/web/20050210035014/http://www.westernorthodox.com/rosary

Many thanks
I had planned to say the rule of the  Mother of God on the Orthodox Rosary

My problem is what prayers to say on the beads between the Cross and the small Icon. The beads appear on the Catholic rosary but not on the Orthodox Rosaries from Diyeyevo Monastery

Offline theistgal

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • don't even go there!
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 01:55:15 AM »
Those beads between the Cross and the icon are usually used for whatever introductory prayers you are using. In the RC Rosary they're the Our Father, three Hail Marys and one Glory. However, you can make the intro prayers as many or as few as you like - they don't have to correspond exactly to the # of beads on your particular set. You could do the Trisagion Prayers there if you like.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2019, 04:36:42 AM »
There have been a few threads about this.
See this (in Russian): https://azbyka.ru/molitvoslov/bogorodichnoe-pravilo.html
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)