OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 06:31:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is "white lie" a sin?  (Read 214 times) Average Rating: 0
DDClark and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
andrewlya
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Christianity is not a religion,it is a relationship with God

Christian all my life and still learning

« on: Yesterday at 09:16:14 AM »

Hi dear all,

We all know that lying is a sin (Leviticus 19:11; Proverbs 12:22). But what about those “little white lies” that involve an ever-so-slight stretching of the truth? Do the small lies matter, or are they harmless? What if telling the truth might hurt someone?

Kind Regards,

God bless.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:16:30 AM by andrewlya » Logged

I believe in one God the Father and His Son the Messiah, the Savior of all the people
elephant
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 10:31:35 AM »

Dear Andrew,

I think that since we live in a fallen world, sometimes we are not able to avoid doing things we would rather not.  There may be no 'perfect' choice. 

However, we need to try to find the best solution that leads us towards, not away from God.  That means speaking with love at all times.  Sometimes the best choice may be choosing not to speak at all. 

Love, elephant
andrewlya
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Christianity is not a religion,it is a relationship with God

Christian all my life and still learning

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 11:21:32 AM »

Dear Andrew,

I think that since we live in a fallen world, sometimes we are not able to avoid doing things we would rather not.  There may be no 'perfect' choice. 

However, we need to try to find the best solution that leads us towards, not away from God.  That means speaking with love at all times.  Sometimes the best choice may be choosing not to speak at all. 

Love, elephant
Daer Elephant,
that's true. I suppose it can't be a sin if you say "oh, I like this present" when you don't really only because not to oofend that person who had tried to make an effort to get you the present.

I believe in one God the Father and His Son the Messiah, the Savior of all the people
Indocern

Jurisdiction: by God

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 11:42:37 AM »

Hi dear all,

We all know that lying is a sin (Leviticus 19:11; Proverbs 12:22). But what about those “little white lies” that involve an ever-so-slight stretching of the truth? Do the small lies matter, or are they harmless? What if telling the truth might hurt someone?

Kind Regards,

God bless.

In my opinion every lie is a sin.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #4 on: Today at 02:11:21 AM »

Dear Andrew,

Love, elephant
Daer Elephant,
that's true. I suppose it can't be a sin if you say "oh, I like this present" when you don't really only because not to oofend that person who had tried to make an effort to get you the present.

Just saying "Thank you," should rarely offend anyone

Xenia
Harmless Little Fuzzball

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:15:18 AM »

In my opinion,  which isn't worth much but here it is,  if telling the truth, that is, the whole truth,  causes needless pain to another person,  then I think the white lie (fib) might be the lesser sin.  But one has to be careful with one's motives.  If the fib is told to protect oneself, this is worse than if the fib is told to protect another person.  I know the word "fib" is a weasel word for "lie" and I probably shouldn't use it.  In a fallen world sometimes we have to choose the lesser of two evils.  But again,  one's motive in lying has to be pure,  if such a thing is possible.  Sometimes we withhold a truth because the truth could cause considerable damage.  Sometimes this can be attempted without flat-out voicing a lie. We will probably feel miserable no matter what we choose to do. Sad

iman_allen

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #6 on: Today at 09:13:45 AM »

I believe that a "small,white lie" is just as great as a bigger, much darker lie. For the Lord equates committing adultery with having lust in your heart, and committing murder with having hatred in your heart. So, I take that as Him saying that regardless of the degree of the sin, having the intention to do so is the same as actually doing the act itself; therefore lying, no matter how great or small the lie may be, is just still sinful as it has the intention to deceive.

Also, keep in mind that the Word says "All wrongdoing is sin, and there is sin that does not lead to death.", meaning that although there are sins that are not so great in size that they may result in death, there are still small things that we may do that are wrong and are equivalent to sin. 

Instead of lying, speak the truth, but in a loving and uncondeming way. "Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ"- Ephesians 4:15
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #7 on: Today at 09:27:42 AM »

To lie is to bear false witness.  It really doesn't matter if the lie is a "little" one to spare someone's feelings.  It's still a lie and it is still sinful.  Recently, on OC.net, there have appeared a lot of threads which seek to excuse certain sins or recategorize them into something new so as to minimize just how destructive they are. I'm not saying that committing lots of little sins, like white lies, will necessarily always lead to big sins, but if such becomes a habit and we do everything to excuse those little things, how long before we start to excuse the big ones?  That's the destructive power of sin.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: Today at 10:43:20 AM »

To lie is to bear false witness.  It really doesn't matter if the lie is a "little" one to spare someone's feelings.  It's still a lie and it is still sinful.  Recently, on OC.net, there have appeared a lot of threads which seek to excuse certain sins or recategorize them into something new so as to minimize just how destructive they are. I'm not saying that committing lots of little sins, like white lies, will necessarily always lead to big sins, but if such becomes a habit and we do everything to excuse those little things, how long before we start to excuse the big ones?  That's the destructive power of sin.

While I agree with you, I do not think the minimizing of little lies is new here, at least in regard to dealing with phone solicitors.
eddybear

Faith: Anglican, officially anyway
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Exeter, UK

« Reply #9 on: Today at 05:18:26 PM »

I'm trying to think of any examples of "white lies" in the Bible. Having just read Judith, it would seem that deceipt in that context was justified, although some of her answers are cleverly ambiguous. Similarly with the fall of Jericho and the prostitute Rahab who hid the Jews and then lied to the townsfolk. She was commended for her actions. A more recent 20th Century example would be those who hid Jews in Nazi Germany and lied to the Gestapo. The similiarity in all these is that the lie is for the benefit of others, and also at great personal risk to the one telling the lie. Not likely to be situations that we will ever have to face, but it does show things aren't always black and white.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: