Author Topic: Holy Relics  (Read 1141 times)

Offline Sleeper

• OC.net guru
  • On hiatus for the foreseeable future.
Holy Relics
« on: February 19, 2011, 05:36:17 PM »
This Lent, all of the Orthodox Churches in my city are going to be doing a "Whose Relics Are These?" tour, where we spend a day going to each church, learning about the saints whose relics they have, venerating them and doing services in their honor, etc., and it just got me curious about what relics any of your churches have.

Relics have always been such a fascinating and humbling aspect of Orthodoxy to me, such sober reminders.

Anyway, if you know what relics your church has, I'd be interested in hearing about them!

My parish has relics of St. Genarosa, St. John Maximovitch, and St. Raphael Hawaweeny (along with two others that I unfortunately can't recall at the moment.)

Offline Benjamin the Red

• Recovering Calvinist
  • OC.net guru
  • Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.
Re: Holy Relics
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 05:50:50 PM »
Our parish is humble in the relics department. We have relics of St. Athanasius the Great (our patron) and the True Cross. I'm not aware of any others.
"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy

Offline PeaceSerenity

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 07:14:39 PM »
My church has a few relics, but I can't remember the saint's names (oops :) )
I know for sure that we have the relics of St. Maximus the Confessor, though.

Offline Tikhon.of.Colorado

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 09:41:34 PM »
my Church has a relic of St. Tikhon of Moscow (the founder of our Church).  the relics inside the altar are unknown to even our priest, as our Church was built in the early 1920's.

Offline David Garner

• Elder
    • For He is Good and Loves Mankind
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 09:57:52 PM »
We have St. Stephen, our patron saint, along with a few others.  I know we have relics of St. Elizabeth the New Martyr.  I wish I could remember the rest.  I'll make it a point to pay closer attention.

Offline Cymbyz

• Elder
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 10:23:04 PM »
My parish is blessed to have relics (for veneration) of the three martyrs in the altar; we were granted a second set expecially for this purpose.  They are St. Boniface of Rome, St. Kirykos, and St. Panteleimon.
The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen

Offline Sleeper

• OC.net guru
  • On hiatus for the foreseeable future.
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 03:50:37 AM »
Awesome!

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 08:31:17 AM »
St. Herman of Alaska and Three Martyrs of Vilnius.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 08:38:28 PM »
St Symeon the Pillar-dweller.

Also remember that all consecrated altars in any Orthodox Church, and any antiminsia, contain relics.  :angel:
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 08:14:44 PM »
Rather than start a brand new thread.....

This morning, folks from my parish had special permission to offer an Akathist in English to relics of our Parish Patron, Saint Catherine of Alexandria.

The relics were at a Romanian Parish across town, and they wonderfully let a group of us invade and have a service in English in a -gap- during their week of scheduled services.

On the left is the relic of St. Catherine and on the right is a relic of St. Nektarios of Aegina.

Close up's
St. Catherine

St. Nektarios

Father had also just received in the mail a vial of oil from St. Nektarios' tomb, and so we were all able to have the huge blessing of being anointed with that as well.

All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 02:54:31 PM »
This past Holy Friday I attended Saint Herman Orthodox Church in Glen Mills, Pennsylvania. It's not a huge building but it's stuffed with relics- I believe they were donated to the parish by Metropolitan Herman (OCA) after his retirement. The walls are lined with them in various boxes and frames- I saw relics of Saints Herman of Alaska, Catherine the Great Martyr, Photios the Great, Alexis of Wilkes-Barre, Sergius of Radonezh, and a bunch of others I can't remember. If anyone is ever in Southeast PA and you have the time, it's worth a visit.
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Offline RaphaCam

• Archon
  • Be good works the daily nourishment of your hearts
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 10:24:49 PM »
We have Ss. Ignatius of Jableczna, Gabriel of Bialystok and two or three others I always forget to ask about.
"Behold, the mystical sacrifice, fully accomplished, is ushered in. In fervent faith let us draw near, that we may become sharers in everlasting life. Alleluia."

Please pray for myself, my family and my friends.

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese). Last article: Fontes de fé da Igreja Ortodoxa