OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 11:37:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Visiting a monastery  (Read 159 times) Average Rating: 0
vladf

Faith: Romanin Orthodox

Be the positive change you want to see

« on: October 26, 2014, 12:00:30 AM »

I am 15 years old, and I want to stay at a monastery for a short time to see what the monastic life is like (3 days), I already spoke with Bishop Seraphim of Sydney, he told me to call them up and visit them for a day and see what happens from there, but how would I let them know that I want to stay for a bit longer?
Btw the monastery I wish to visit is the Pantanassa monastery, Sydney.
Thanks!

"May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God the Father and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all!"
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 12:05:12 AM »

You want to stay for 3 days, but your bishop recommended you commit for only a day. It sounds like you should let them know that you're definitely staying for a day, but might want to stay an additional two. They can probably accommodate that.

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 12:16:37 AM »

Inquire with the guest master/coordinator and see if the abbot will give you a blessing to stay for a few days.

vladf

Faith: Romanin Orthodox

Be the positive change you want to see

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 12:36:48 AM »

You want to stay for 3 days, but your bishop recommended you commit for only a day. It sounds like you should let them know that you're definitely staying for a day, but might want to stay an additional two. They can probably accommodate that.
At the time I just told my Bishop that I want to visit the monastery, he told me to contact them. But I am not sure if he knows that I want to stay there for the day. :/
Our Cantor from Church makes frequent visits there.

Inquire with the guest master/coordinator and see if the abbot will give you a blessing to stay for a few days.
Would they take me seriously as I am only fifteen? :l
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 12:43:15 AM by vladf » Logged

"May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God the Father and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all!"
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 06:01:47 AM »

i had a very serious chat with a 16 year old yesterday about theology so i don't see why not.
he is dreaming of studying in an orthodox theological school as he loves theology.

i loved to discuss the Bible at your age, so there is no need to worry.
but, because you are young, be sure to listen more than you teach!
 Wink
(i need to learn this too and talk less!)
eddybear

Faith: Anglican, officially anyway
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Exeter, UK

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 07:00:16 AM »

If your bishop suggests going for a day, why not follow what he says this time? And then come back and talk it over with him. If God is calling you to the monastic life, then He will keep the desire alive in your heart, and will guide your path.

Have you discussed this with your parents as well? That is important, as you are only 15.

I think it is great that you have such a strong desire to serve God, at such a young age. By listening to, and following, those whom God has placed in your life to guide you, this desire can lead to a fruitful life in God's service.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: