OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 01:50:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Strange icons  (Read 36167 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: February 28, 2009, 10:49:12 AM »

You know, I caught myself doing this on the Sunday of the Publican and the Pharisee... I was struggling to hang on to my squirmy one year old and bent to kiss the icon before I realized I had just venerated the Pharisee.  Oops.  At least Caitlin got it right.  Wink

On American sites I've found two uncommon (at least for me) icons: icon for Sunday of the Prodigal Son and icon for Sunday of Publican and Pharisee.

Is it Greek or American Orthodox tradition? Are there any more icons which don't present Saints, events/persons from the Bible, events/persons from the Tradition but some unreal things?

Are they treated (venerated) as normal icons or are they just to illustrate pararels? Why the Publican has a halo despite being not canonised and even not real?

Sorry EofK for imposing your post but it made me think.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 11:01:45 AM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 02:03:19 PM »

I was wondering the other day if there is an icon of the Lord with all of the children gathered around Him.  I know it's a familiar Protestant illustration for Sunday Schools and such, but I actually think that sort of icon would be really good for the Orthodox kiddos.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 02:19:42 PM »

I was wondering the other day if there is an icon of the Lord with all of the children gathered around Him.  I know it's a familiar Protestant illustration for Sunday Schools and such, but I actually think that sort of icon would be really good for the Orthodox kiddos.

You can buy it here
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 05:47:54 PM »

Why do the men have halos?  Are they disciples?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 06:04:21 PM »

Why do the men have halos?  Are they disciples?
Yes, they're.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 06:01:45 PM »

But this icon presents event from the Gospel, the REAL event. Not the story Jesus told His Disciples.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 06:02:06 PM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 06:22:58 PM »

The church at which I worship in Romania has its walls completely covered with iconography and two levels of icons are depictions of Christ's parables. So, even "fictional" personages are depicted in iconography. The icon depicting the Parable of the Good Samaritan, however, features Christ in the role of the Good Samaritan.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 06:25:42 PM »

Do you have any pictures?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 03:26:26 PM »

On American sites I've found two uncommon (at least for me) icons: icon for Sunday of the Prodigal Son and icon for Sunday of Publican and Pharisee.

Is it Greek or American Orthodox tradition? Are there any more icons which don't present Saints, events/persons from the Bible, events/persons from the Tradition but some unreal things?

Are they treated (venerated) as normal icons or are they just to illustrate pararels? Why the Publican has a halo despite being not canonised and even not real?

Sorry EofK for imposing your post but it made me think.

There are a number of different icons that depict parables, and references.  An example is the icon of the ladder into heaven - an image of Jacob's (the Patriarch) dream, but the icon depicts Christ at the top with the Theotokos.  Or the icon of the Burning Bush, which sometimes depicts the Theotokos in the midst of the bush with the fire in her womb.

The icon of the Publican & Pharisee has a halo on the Publican after his prayer (not before) because in Christ's words "I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God." (NIV)

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 03:48:13 PM »

Should they (that icons) be venerated?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 03:50:08 PM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 04:02:53 PM »

Should they (that icons) be venerated?

I suppose so; the icon is still a reflection of a heavenly reality in earthly form, pointing to an example of Christian life.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 12:01:40 PM »

from Kolomyia-Chernivtsi Diocese of UGCC
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 12:02:13 PM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 12:04:43 PM »

Oh my....  Sad

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 12:44:28 PM »

That's awful, Mike!  Sad

A question that came to my mind recently was pertaining to the frequently depicted in the west image of Christ as the Good Shepherd. I don't know if I've ever seen this presented as an icon in the Orthodox Church-why is this? Also the one of Christ knocking at the door-this too I've never seen as an icon. I think both pictures are very familiar and dear to most Protestants.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 12:50:54 PM »

That's awful, Mike!  Sad

A question that came to my mind recently was pertaining to the frequently depicted in the west image of Christ as the Good Shepherd. I don't know if I've ever seen this presented as an icon in the Orthodox Church-why is this? Also the one of Christ knocking at the door-this too I've never seen as an icon. I think both pictures are very familiar and dear to most Protestants.

Do you mean an image like this as Christ as Good Shepherd?  I've seen this icon many times in Orthodox churches/suppliers and even bought one just like it for an ex-girlfriend once. 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 12:52:51 PM »

That's awful, Mike!  Sad

Do you mean an image like this as Christ as Good Shepherd?  I've seen this icon many times in Orthodox churches/suppliers and even bought one just like it for an ex-girlfriend once. 

I have this icon.  Smiley

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2009, 01:01:53 PM »

Thanks, Shultz! No, I've never, ever seen it before! Never in a church and never anywhere else! It's very nice.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2009, 01:11:21 PM »

One year we have given this icon of the Good Shepherd to the children who were going to their First Confession.

The soccer "icon" is very sad to see.  The Theotokos and Christ Child are beautiful....however, the soccer field...pppllllease.

I cannot imagine their clergy approve of it.

This is just another example where people lose the spiritual aspect of their Faith, and use their faith as just another custom, or tradition....no spiritual thinking behind it.
Quite sad.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2009, 01:16:44 PM »

A question that came to my mind recently was pertaining to the frequently depicted in the west image of Christ as the Good Shepherd. I don't know if I've ever seen this presented as an icon in the Orthodox Church-why is this?

I have seen several modern Orthodox icons of the Good Shepherd. In the Roman Catacombs, there are something like 114 documented representations of the Good Shepherd, dating from the 2nd through 3rd century. There's also a very famous late antique/early Byzantine version of the Good Shepherd in Ravenna. Reproduced below:

Images of a shepherd with a lamb over his back were very popular -- and very symbolic -- in the Greco-Roman world for a number of centuries, especially in the second century. Most of the philosophical schools (among which Christianity was sometimes numbered) taught that right-living consisted of (1) piety toward God and (2) philanthropy/benevolence toward neighbors.

Piety was depicted by a man in an orans position (lifting up hands in prayer). Philanthropy by a man with a sheep over his shoulders. These twin images appear on many pagan (and Christian) sarcophagi, and were even made part of the State's iconography by particularly philosophically inclined emperors like Marcus Aurelius.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 01:23:03 PM »

That's so interesting, pensateomnia! Thanks for that information! I'm a bit surprised I've never seen this icon in any Russian church. For some reason, I don't really like the cross in the back of the icon. I still think I prefer the "protestant" pictures of Christ, holding a lamb in His arms, and a staff in one of His hands, surrounded by sheep...don't know what it is, but that image strikes me as more "natural", although I do like the one Shultz posted-just not sure about the cross in the background.

pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

metron ariston

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2009, 02:41:17 PM »

Oh, and lest we think this was just a Roman thing, there's also the Dura-Europos house church in Syria (the only extant house church we have), which has an image of the Good Shepherd from about 245.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
rwprof
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA now, Antiochian originally

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2009, 02:42:47 PM »

The soccer icon (seriously):

http://byztex.blogspot.com/2009/10/soccer-icon.html

Mark (rwprof) passed into eternal life on Jan 7, 2010.  May his memory be eternal!
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2009, 02:50:26 PM »

That's so interesting, pensateomnia! Thanks for that information! I'm a bit surprised I've never seen this icon in any Russian church. For some reason, I don't really like the cross in the back of the icon. I still think I prefer the "protestant" pictures of Christ, holding a lamb in His arms, and a staff in one of His hands, surrounded by sheep...don't know what it is, but that image strikes me as more "natural", although I do like the one Shultz posted-just not sure about the cross in the background.

What's wrong with the cross in the background of the good shepherd icon of Christ?  He was as a lamb lead to slaugther, was he not?  What is it that makes you apprehensive about the cross?

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2009, 03:41:48 PM »

What's wrong with the cross in the background of the good shepherd icon of Christ?  He was as a lamb lead to slaugther, was he not?  What is it that makes you apprehensive about the cross?

I'm not used to such a highly stylized rendition of Christ the Good Shepherd, I guess. I just need to get accustomed to it. I always think of the picture of Christ walking naturally amongst a flock of sheep, with his staff in one hand, and holding a lamb in the other...

Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2009, 06:08:03 PM »

Here is a link to an article and several icons of the good shepherd:

http://www.pravmir.com/printer_604.html
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2009, 07:01:14 PM »

Thanks so much, Father, for the fascinating article! I had wondered if Orthodox icons are more apt to portray actual events than they are to portray allegories, and if for this reason, we don't have icons of say, Christ knocking at the door, etc.

LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2009, 08:02:27 PM »

The image of Christ the Good Shepherd as reproduced in Schultz's post poses a couple of problems regarding its compatibility with Orthodox theology, iconographic tradition, and doctrine. The notion of Christ as the Good Shepherd is not, in itself, a, iconographic problem, any more than that of Christ the Sower of the good seed, or Christ the Creator of the universe.

Where the image Schultz posted falls short is in showing Christ with the wounds of His crucifixion, and with a cross in the background. Unlike much non-Orthodox painting and sculpture, Orthodox iconography limits the display of Christ's wounds to icons of the Crucifiction, the Deposition from the Cross, the Lamentation, and the events in time between His Resurrection and Ascension, such as the Incredulity of Apostle Thomas; i.e. those events which confirm and proclaim the Resurrection of Christ, as fully corporeal, and not as merely some sort of "spirit". There is no iconographic tradition of painting the wounds in pre-Crucifixion icons, nor in post-Ascension icons, such as Christ in Majesty, where He is shown enthroned, surrounded by seraphim, cherubim, and other heavenly hosts. There is no need to show the wounds in such icons, as the human body of Christ, through His sacrifice and resurrection, has been perfected and sanctified.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2009, 08:06:47 PM »

The wounds were something which bothered me too. While it is a beautiful icon, chronologically it seems confusing somehow.

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2009, 08:44:26 PM »

The image of Christ the Good Shepherd as reproduced in Schultz's post poses a couple of problems regarding its compatibility with Orthodox theology, iconographic tradition, and doctrine. The notion of Christ as the Good Shepherd is not, in itself, a, iconographic problem, any more than that of Christ the Sower of the good seed, or Christ the Creator of the universe.

Where the image Schultz posted falls short is in showing Christ with the wounds of His crucifixion, and with a cross in the background. Unlike much non-Orthodox painting and sculpture, Orthodox iconography limits the display of Christ's wounds to icons of the Crucifiction, the Deposition from the Cross, the Lamentation, and the events in time between His Resurrection and Ascension, such as the Incredulity of Apostle Thomas; i.e. those events which confirm and proclaim the Resurrection of Christ, as fully corporeal, and not as merely some sort of "spirit". There is no iconographic tradition of painting the wounds in pre-Crucifixion icons, nor in post-Ascension icons, such as Christ in Majesty, where He is shown enthroned, surrounded by seraphim, cherubim, and other heavenly hosts. There is no need to show the wounds in such icons, as the human body of Christ, through His sacrifice and resurrection, has been perfected and sanctified.

Was not this same 'perfected and sanctified' human body the same one shown to St Thomas, complete with wounds, though?  Is not the Resurrected Christ also the Good Shepherd?  Why do you constantly look for problems when none exist?  I understand your conservatism regarding iconography, but you make it sound as if a huge rulebook dropped out of heaven in AD33 with all the rules and canons about icons in them. 

The link FatherHLL posted earlier discusses this very icon and the symbolism behind it.

I normally respect your erudition on this topic, but this time I think you are just looking for something to complain about.

Is
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 08:48:01 PM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2009, 11:30:59 PM »

Frankly, strange things are seen in the Ukraine

See the headdress of Miss Ukraine 2008:

http://photo.for-ua.com/albums/23_06_2006_Cimbaluk/big/IMG_6019.jpg

and Miss Ukraine's holy corset:

http://www.rusidea.org/picts/forum/Foto_pro_MP/miss.jpg

HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2009, 12:32:35 AM »

Ugh, why does it not surprise me there were Ukrainians behind this? *shakes head in amazement*

Sometimes us Ukies are pretty goofy... Lord have mercy on us all!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2009, 01:33:44 AM »

Do you, by chance, have an image of her wearing it? Grin
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2009, 01:40:36 AM »

Was not this same 'perfected and sanctified' human body the same one shown to St Thomas, complete with wounds, though?

Exactly!
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2009, 03:31:52 AM »

My dear Schultz, you may well accuse me of conservatism in iconography, yet, I ask you to come up with any pre-18thC icon of Christ which shows the wounds of His crucifixion, other than in the examples I mentioned. Regarding the icon of Apostle Thomas, one only needs to look at the text of the Vigil to this feast to find it full of references to Christ's wounds, both literally, and in their spiritual significance in relation to Thomas' examination of them, as proof positive of his Lord's resurrection. Liturgy and iconography go hand in hand, my friend.

On the other hand, the image you posted is directly derived from non-Orthodox images of quite recent (two centuries or less) provenance.

As for the "patroness of soccer and sport" image (yet another sad addition to my schlock file) is a blasphemy and travesty. Yet, from the blog this image was drawn, we see supposed ecclesiastical approval for this image. According to the film footage on the blog: As best as I can make out the Ukrainian, it says that the icon was blessed by the Ukrainian Greek Catholic bishop Mykolaj (Simkaylo) and a priest of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Kiev patriarchate). Some may regard what I have to say as arrogant, but it only goes to show that even clergy can make grave iconographic mistakes. What's the solution to this sort of problem? EDUCATION! of clergy and laity alike.

I once wrote this on another thread last year:

Iconography is the most visible and identifiable characteristic which sets apart the Orthodox Church from all others, yet, lapses continue to occur, often, it must be said, out of honest ignorance. However, be that as it may, it is imperative that distortions and assaults on the doctrinal, theological and liturgical integrity of this holy and priceless treasure are exposed and remedied. It is in this spirit that I post in the way that I do, not to lord it over people, nor to draw attention to myself (after all, I post anonymously), but to allow a greater understanding of the pitfalls of error.

LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2009, 03:36:35 AM »

Oyyyy!!!!!!  Tongue Tongue Cheesy
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2009, 03:43:15 AM »

Iconography is the most visible and identifiable characteristic which sets apart the Orthodox Church from all others.

Then what a relief that the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church isn't a part of the Orthodox Church!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 03:43:29 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2009, 09:55:53 AM »

With all due respect, Father, I have to tell you I am slightly offended by your statement.

Frankly, strange things are seen in ALL countries....I can easily surf the Web and find some rather offensive things occurring in other nations such as Russia, etc....however, I wouldn't post that and make a general statement that strange things are seen in those countries.  I wouldn't want someone to mistakenly think I might be degrading their homeland.

Let's not forget how many deeply faithful, God fearing, reverent and modest people live in Ukraine who are not strange at all....or the hundreds of Saints that come from Ukrainian lands.

Additionally.....why must everyone still call Ukraine, "the" Ukraine?  Is it accidental or intentional?  I'd like to know.

I honestly, mean no disrespect and forgive me for not "turning the other cheek"...but, that cheek's already red.

Peace and respect to all, and to all nations - for all nations are equal and none is better or worse than any other.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
BoredMeeting
Loving the Life of a Council Member
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox/OCA

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2009, 04:10:05 PM »

Weren't icons used to communicate Scripture to a largely illiterate public prior to the invention of the movable-type printing press?

Given that, icons of the parables would have a long history behind them (even if they are contemporary versions).
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2009, 04:43:05 PM »

Of the Romanian Church, or something like this?

http://www.stinnocent.net/images/GoodSamaritan.JPG

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2009, 05:44:33 PM »

Of the Romanian Church, or something like this?

http://www.stinnocent.net/images/GoodSamaritan.JPG

Of parables frescos. It depicts the one about poor Samaritan, doesn't it?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2011, 04:18:28 PM »

I like them: http://danielmitsui.tripod.com/artwork/religious.html

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2011, 04:21:28 PM »

Wow can I buy one?  Smiley

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2011, 07:02:11 PM »

That thing with the soccer ball is truly worse than anything the Romans have ever created - even clown masses.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2011, 07:29:49 PM »

That thing with the soccer ball is truly worse than anything the Romans have ever created - even clown masses.

Good for you!

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2011, 12:38:59 AM »

Well, it's an icon and it's strange:

Cynocephalus St. Christopher.  One of several found at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynocephaly

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Tags: iconography 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: