OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 31, 2014, 06:19:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox dictionary/glossary for site users  (Read 4222 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« on: February 27, 2009, 05:33:39 PM »

Very frequently, posters ask for a definition of an acronym, or for a translation from Greek into English, or for a basic definition of a theological term.

One can go to the Wiktionary for a full-fledged online dictionary, or he can go to OrthodoxWiki for an excellent encyclopedia reference.  But oftentimes these resources are not convenient to users of our site, and requests for definitions have continued here in threads long after the introduction of the above resources.

Therefore I would like to develop a local Orthodox Wiktionary with limited scope to be created by users of this site to define acronyms, give dictionary (as opposed to encyclopedic) definitions to key terms, and provide translations of common Orthodox words.

If anyone is familiar with wiki software and would be interested in assisting me with this effort, please send me a private message.  I can easily install the software, but need assistance importing the basic Wiktionary templates and will need someone to watch the project long term.

To reiterate, I am not interested in trying to compete with OrthodoxWiki, but rather to provide a very limited dictionary system to support users of this site.

Thank you,

Fr Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 01:21:06 PM »

bump

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 01:51:15 PM »

Reiterating and bolding the key paragraphs:

Therefore I would like to develop a local Orthodox Wiktionary with limited scope to be created by users of this site to define acronyms, give dictionary (as opposed to encyclopedic) definitions to key terms, and provide translations of common Orthodox words.

If anyone is familiar with wiki software and would be interested in assisting me with this effort, please send me a private message.  I can easily install the software, but need assistance importing the basic Wiktionary templates and will need someone to watch the project long term.

To reiterate, I am not interested in trying to compete with OrthodoxWiki, but rather to provide a very limited dictionary system to support users of this site.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 02:18:54 PM »

We already have an urban dictionary entry, isn't that enough?
Byzantine2008
Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 05:26:19 PM »

Very frequently, posters ask for a definition of an acronym, or for a translation from Greek into English, or for a basic definition of a theological term.

One can go to the Wiktionary for a full-fledged online dictionary, or he can go to OrthodoxWiki for an excellent encyclopedia reference.  But oftentimes these resources are not convenient to users of our site, and requests for definitions have continued here in threads long after the introduction of the above resources.

Thank you,

Fr Anastasios

A most excellent idea Father. When is it going to get up and running.
I often find myself struggling to grasp the meanings of words in spiritual books as well.
This would be most usefull.

Let your will be done O Lord Jesus Christ through the intercession of you All Pure Mother and all the saints!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 05:32:43 PM »

Νεκτάριος

We already have an urban dictionary entry, isn't that enough?

Huh, never noticed that before! I find the entry on Orthodox under the Christianity section sort of comical (e.g. it says that "The Eastern Orthodox Faith has over 500,000,000 followers worldwide.") At least they got the part about Theodosius right, though, something I've seen wrong on countless websites decrying Constantine as the big boogie man.
Byzantine2008
Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 06:10:32 PM »

What happened with this idea?

Let your will be done O Lord Jesus Christ through the intercession of you All Pure Mother and all the saints!
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 08:16:06 PM »

No one volunteered.

But the idea is not going away.

Please Buy My Book!

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 10:19:14 AM »

It's progressing along now. If anyone wants to join the fun, let me know, as it will speed things up.

Please Buy My Book!

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 07:17:53 PM »

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/dict/index.php/Main_Page

We have an acronym template up. I'm opening this up to the community to see what happens. We'll keep an eye on things to try keep things going smoothly.

Please Buy My Book!

AWR
Greetings from the Southern Jersey Shore.

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Expelled from Paradise

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 02:45:40 PM »

Fr.,
I'll try to give the Dictionary site a kick start.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 07:41:11 AM »

BUMP - In case anyone who is potentially interested hasn't seen this thread.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 08:04:29 AM »

Is there any way of blocking the spam? See recent changes and look at the talk pages over the last few days.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
AWR
Greetings from the Southern Jersey Shore.

Jurisdiction: OCA

Expelled from Paradise

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 09:50:42 AM »

The Talk:Main Page should be deleted and then ‘protected’.   
Some program  is updating this page a few times a day.

see: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/dict/index.php?title=Talk:Main_Page&action=history
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 09:53:57 AM »

Wow.  Thanks for the heads-up.

---------------------
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 12:01:29 PM »

I stopped anonymous editing. Thanks.

Here are all the terms that have been defined so far: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/dict/index.php/Special:AllPages
Terms we are hoping to get defined soon: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/dict/index.php/Special:WantedPages

So be a part of the project! Anyone can sign up for an account and pitch in Smiley

Please Buy My Book!

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: