Author Topic: Orthodox dictionary/glossary for site users  (Read 4677 times)

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
  • Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist
Orthodox dictionary/glossary for site users
« on: February 27, 2009, 05:33:39 PM »
Very frequently, posters ask for a definition of an acronym, or for a translation from Greek into English, or for a basic definition of a theological term.

One can go to the Wiktionary for a full-fledged online dictionary, or he can go to OrthodoxWiki for an excellent encyclopedia reference.  But oftentimes these resources are not convenient to users of our site, and requests for definitions have continued here in threads long after the introduction of the above resources.

Therefore I would like to develop a local Orthodox Wiktionary with limited scope to be created by users of this site to define acronyms, give dictionary (as opposed to encyclopedic) definitions to key terms, and provide translations of common Orthodox words.

If anyone is familiar with wiki software and would be interested in assisting me with this effort, please send me a private message.  I can easily install the software, but need assistance importing the basic Wiktionary templates and will need someone to watch the project long term.

To reiterate, I am not interested in trying to compete with OrthodoxWiki, but rather to provide a very limited dictionary system to support users of this site.

Thank you,

Fr Anastasios
Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism and may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
Re: Orthodox dictionary/glossary for site users
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 01:21:06 PM »
bump
Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism and may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 01:51:15 PM »
Reiterating and bolding the key paragraphs:

Therefore I would like to develop a local Orthodox Wiktionary with limited scope to be created by users of this site to define acronyms, give dictionary (as opposed to encyclopedic) definitions to key terms, and provide translations of common Orthodox words.

If anyone is familiar with wiki software and would be interested in assisting me with this effort, please send me a private message.  I can easily install the software, but need assistance importing the basic Wiktionary templates and will need someone to watch the project long term.

To reiterate, I am not interested in trying to compete with OrthodoxWiki, but rather to provide a very limited dictionary system to support users of this site.
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline Νεκτάριος

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 02:18:54 PM »
We already have an urban dictionary entry, isn't that enough?

Offline Byzantine2008

• Elder
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 05:26:19 PM »
Very frequently, posters ask for a definition of an acronym, or for a translation from Greek into English, or for a basic definition of a theological term.

One can go to the Wiktionary for a full-fledged online dictionary, or he can go to OrthodoxWiki for an excellent encyclopedia reference.  But oftentimes these resources are not convenient to users of our site, and requests for definitions have continued here in threads long after the introduction of the above resources.

Thank you,

Fr Anastasios

A most excellent idea Father. When is it going to get up and running.
I often find myself struggling to grasp the meanings of words in spiritual books as well.
This would be most usefull.
Let your will be done O Lord Jesus Christ through the intercession of you All Pure Mother and all the saints!

Online Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 05:32:43 PM »
Νεκτάριος

We already have an urban dictionary entry, isn't that enough?

Huh, never noticed that before! I find the entry on Orthodox under the Christianity section sort of comical (e.g. it says that "The Eastern Orthodox Faith has over 500,000,000 followers worldwide.") At least they got the part about Theodosius right, though, something I've seen wrong on countless websites decrying Constantine as the big boogie man.

Offline Byzantine2008

• Elder
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 06:10:32 PM »
What happened with this idea?
Let your will be done O Lord Jesus Christ through the intercession of you All Pure Mother and all the saints!

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 08:16:06 PM »
No one volunteered.

But the idea is not going away.
Please Buy My Book!

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 10:19:14 AM »
It's progressing along now. If anyone wants to join the fun, let me know, as it will speed things up.
Please Buy My Book!

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 07:17:53 PM »
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/dict/index.php/Main_Page

We have an acronym template up. I'm opening this up to the community to see what happens. We'll keep an eye on things to try keep things going smoothly.
Please Buy My Book!

Offline AWR

• Greetings from the Southern Jersey Shore.
  • Expelled from Paradise
    • Church  of the Mother of God
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 02:45:40 PM »
Fr.,
I'll try to give the Dictionary site a kick start.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 07:41:11 AM »
BUMP - In case anyone who is potentially interested hasn't seen this thread.
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"

Offline ozgeorge

• I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
  • Hoplitarches
  • My plans for retirement.
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 08:04:29 AM »
Is there any way of blocking the spam? See recent changes and look at the talk pages over the last few days.
If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.

Offline AWR

• Greetings from the Southern Jersey Shore.
  • Expelled from Paradise
    • Church  of the Mother of God
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 09:50:42 AM »
The Talk:Main Page should be deleted and then ‘protected’.   
Some program  is updating this page a few times a day.

see: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/dict/index.php?title=Talk:Main_Page&action=history

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 09:53:57 AM »
Wow.  Thanks for the heads-up.

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 12:01:29 PM »
I stopped anonymous editing. Thanks.

Here are all the terms that have been defined so far: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/dict/index.php/Special:AllPages
Terms we are hoping to get defined soon: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/dict/index.php/Special:WantedPages

So be a part of the project! Anyone can sign up for an account and pitch in :)
Please Buy My Book!