OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 12:56:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Archbishop vs. Bishop of Rome  (Read 2199 times) Average Rating: 0
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« on: February 26, 2009, 07:16:51 PM »

Origin thread:  http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,19903.msg296359.html

-- Nebelpfade

I have never tried to hide the fact.  If you ever attend one of our Liturgies you will hear us commemorate "our Holy Ecumenical Pontiff, Benedict, Pope of Rome" at least four times. 

Technical question....

It was Pope Saint Anastasius at the end of the 4th century who assigned the title "Archbishop of Rome" to those who hold the Roman cathedra.  "Archbishop of Rome" is the title used by the Ecumenical Councils.

When and why was he demoted from an archbishop to a bishop?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 07:26:16 PM by Nebelpfade » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 07:49:15 PM »

Origin thread:  http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,19903.msg296359.html

-- Nebelpfade

I have never tried to hide the fact.  If you ever attend one of our Liturgies you will hear us commemorate "our Holy Ecumenical Pontiff, Benedict, Pope of Rome" at least four times. 

Technical question....

It was Pope Saint Anastasius at the end of the 4th century who assigned the title "Archbishop of Rome" to those who hold the Roman cathedra.  "Archbishop of Rome" is the title used by the Ecumenical Councils.

And when did he become Ecumenical, as didn't Pope Gregory the Great tell EP John the Faster that anyone taking that title was the precursor of Antichrist?

And when did he work his way into the diptychs of an Eastern Church?  Such was not the tradition of the first millenium, where no Church commemorated the Pope of Rome except the Patriarchs, when they commemorated all the Patriarchs.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 08:33:04 PM »

Technical question....

I believe the "Bishop of Rome" part refers to the Holy See, while "Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Roman province" refers to the Metropolitan Archdiocese of Rome.  Both are part of the Pope's full, formal title.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 08:54:36 PM »

I believe the "Bishop of Rome" part refers to the Holy See, while "Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Roman province" refers to the Metropolitan Archdiocese of Rome.  Both are part of the Pope's full, formal title.

Is this because the Pope lives in one country, Vatican City State, where is is the reigning monarch but he also has control of a diocese, Rome, which is outside his country of residency?
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 11:34:55 PM »

-- Nebelpfade

Technical question....

He wasn't.  The Full title is:
Bishop of Rome
Vicar of Christ
Successor of the Prince of the Apostles
Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church
Patriarch of the West (dropped 2006) 
Primate of Italy
Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Roman Province
Sovereign of the State of the Vatican City
Servant of the Servants of God

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 12:12:50 AM »

-- Nebelpfade

Technical question....

And when did he become Ecumenical, as didn't Pope Gregory the Great tell EP John the Faster that anyone taking that title was the precursor of Antichrist?

And when did he work his way into the diptychs of an Eastern Church?  Such was not the tradition of the first millenium, where no Church commemorated the Pope of Rome except the Patriarchs, when they commemorated all the Patriarchs.

The translators of the 65 Ruthenian Liturgicon made it our Holy Ecumenical Pontiff, The 07 Liturgicon simply has our Holy Father which matches the Greek Liturgicon published by Rome.  When the 07 revision was submitted to Rome that was one of the changes they insisted on stating Ecumenical was a title belonging to the Patriarch of Constantinople alone.

The CCEO requires the Pope, the church's Patriarch/Archbishop, the province's Metropolitan, as well as the eparchy's bishop be commemorated in the diptychs by all priests.  Although I think most, if not all, the Eastern Catholic Church already did that.  Some churches, like mine, also add his commemoration to the litanies while others, like the Melkites, do not.

Fr. Deacon Lance

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 12:38:53 PM »

-- Nebelpfade

Technical question....

Is this a serious question? I mean, Archbishops are a kind of bishop and I think you know that. Even a Patriach can be referred to as a bishop because he is one.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 12:39:50 PM »

Is this because the Pope lives in one country, Vatican City State, where is is the reigning monarch but he also has control of a diocese, Rome, which is outside his country of residency?
No its because Archbishops and Mertropolitans are also bishops. Geesh.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 02:06:35 PM »

What a weird thread...One of the EP's titles is, I believe, "Archbishop of Constantinople, New Rome" along with "Ecumenical Patriarch".

What's the issue here anyway?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 07:50:11 PM »

What a weird thread...One of the EP's titles is, I believe, "Archbishop of Constantinople, New Rome" along with "Ecumenical Patriarch".

That's a really good quesstion....

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 08:32:59 PM »

The EP's official title is Archbishop of Constantinople, New Rome, and Ecumenical Patriarch.  He's still the Archbishop of the district of New Rome (aka Constantinople), his direct see, just as the Patriarchs of Antioch, Alexandria, Moscow, etc. are all either Archbishops of their respective cities or Metropolitans.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags: bishops 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: