Author Topic: Light pillars - large star war light sabers!  (Read 1581 times)

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
Light pillars - large star war light sabers!
« on: January 15, 2014, 08:10:14 PM »

http://spaceweathergallery.com/indiv_upload.php?upload_id=93002&PHPSESSID=iou3oknsp486ljeri2742dkgt4

Dec 11th 2013 will forever be remembered as the most intense light pillar display I have ever observed in lower MI. ... Temps fell to around 3 degrees and winds went calm and this magical sparkly flakes just fell very gently to the ground creating a tremendous light pillar spectacle.

From www.spaceweather.com comes this unusual explanation: snow machines generated the ice pillars

Light pillars are a common sight around northern cities in winter. Urban lights bounce off ice crystals in the air, producing tall luminous columns sometimes mistaken for auroras. Usually the ice crystals are natural, such as snow flakes, but in this case the atmospheric optics were artificial.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 08:10:46 PM by Maria »
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
Re: Light pillars - large star war light sabers!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 08:14:35 PM »
Very cool!
"For, by its immensity, the divine substance surpasses every form that our intellect reaches. Thus we are unable to apprehend it by knowing what it is. Yet we are able to have some knowledge of it by knowing what it is not." - St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa contra gentiles, I, 14.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 08:16:56 PM »
Here is one awesome photo from Finland --

The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Toumarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
  • Faith: Cafeteria CHRISTIAN Heretic
  • Jurisdiction: Here and now (well...sometimes...)
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 10:21:14 AM »
Excellent!!  Eat your heart out, Darth!!  Where can I get one?
"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Online Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 10:22:43 AM »
"Size matters not." -- Yoda :police:

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Toumarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
  • Faith: Cafeteria CHRISTIAN Heretic
  • Jurisdiction: Here and now (well...sometimes...)
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 10:30:44 AM »

Yeah...right, except when it does. 

Says someone very, very small  :P  ;D.
"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 11:20:51 PM »
Did the Star Wars series use any of these nifty light pillars in their movies?

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 04:02:28 AM »
This is not an ice pillar but an aurora.

Just wanted you to see the difference.

...On Jan. 11th, Bjørn Hugo Hansen of Øverbygd, Norway, observed an explosive display of auroras--with sound effects. "The temperature was -27 C, and I was standing on the ice by our cabin. In the distance I could hear cracking sounds from the ice, a strange sound like a mix of whale bubbles hitting the ice and a small earthquake. This happens often. I believe it is stronger tonight, though, because of a big drop in temperature. Faint auroras were dancing quietly overhead when I spoke to myself -- 'Come on Aurora – give me all you got.' And BOOM! The sky exploded behind me." ...

"Lady Aurora twisted around the sky, she threw her bridal veil all around," continues Hansen. "I was in ecstasy … and as if that was not enough,  the ice under me made a large DRUN! I had never heard the sound of the ice crack this close before, almost right under me. It was an enormous sound. A thin crack 5mm wide rushed across the lake. Then it became quiet and Aurora disappeared. AMAZING!"

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 08:43:06 PM »
Look at this aurora which almost looks like a picture from Star Wars ... where the Saami earth tents are being zapped by the Emperor.

For more awesome pictures, please visit:
http://spaceweathergallery.com/indiv_upload.php?upload_id=93063&PHPSESSID=poddmg6labjk167uc5huemerh3
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 08:44:10 PM by Maria »

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 07:07:53 PM »
Dazzling Light Pillars

Alexander Kuznetsov photographed this apparition over Rovaniemi in the Finnish Lapland on Jan. 17th:

Source: www.spaceweather.com

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Antonis said I'm not Christian, so...
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 09:52:59 PM »
Nice!  :)
My only weakness is, well, never mind

And you'll sleep, but they'll find you

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

London is drowning, and I live by the river

https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 11:43:37 PM »
Here is another example of an aurora, not a light pillar:

ARCTIC LIGHTS: Earth is entering a stream of solar wind blowing almost 500 km/s (1.1 million mph), and this is sparking auroras around the Arctic Circle. Just after nightfall on Jan. 21st, Harald Albrigtsen photographed the display over Kvaløya, Tromsø, Norway:

www.spaceweather.com

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Antonis said I'm not Christian, so...
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 06:32:52 AM »
That is beautiful.  :)
My only weakness is, well, never mind

And you'll sleep, but they'll find you

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

London is drowning, and I live by the river

https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 05:51:27 PM »
This is from the archives at www.spaceweather.com, and shows an unusual phenomenon.

http://www.spaceweather.com/archive.php?view=1&day=29&month=01&year=2011

But the light pillars Mike Hollingshead saw on Jan. 26th near a corn mill in Blair, Nebraska, were decidely uncommon. ... "These light pillars are not just rare, they are exceptional!" declares atmospheric optics expert Les Cowley. "Ordinary pillars are produced by plate-shaped ice crystals roughly half way between you and the light source. These are different. Their rarely seen flared tops show that they were made by column-shaped crystals drifting slowly downwards and aligned horizontal by air resistance."

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 06:16:43 PM »
Look at this one! Awesome display! This one is from the archives of 2011:

Source www.spaceweather.com

A coronal mass ejection (CME) hit Earth's magnetic field around noon Universal Time on Sept. 26th, 2011. The impact set the stage for a night to remember. As soon as darkness fell over Scandinavia, auroras filled the sky with such intensity that they were visible through rain clouds. Fredrik Broms photographed the scene from Kvaløya, Norway:

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 06:24:26 PM »

This is supposedly only an aurora, but the city lights could have formed light pillars too.

Source: www.spaceweather.com

A CME hit Earth's magnetic field on Oct. 5th, 2011 at approximately 0700 UT, sparking minor geomagnetic storms around both poles. Shortly after the CME's impact, Minoru Yoneto photographed an outburst of auroras over Queenstown, New Zealand

Offline Sinful Hypocrite

• Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
  • Archon
  • The Lord helps those who help others
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: God
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 08:20:39 PM »
Those are some great pix, Thanks Maria!
The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“