OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 11:55:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SITE BACK UP--CRITICAL HELP NEEDED  (Read 2132 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« on: February 26, 2009, 01:06:20 AM »

Phase I of the character cleanup is complete, which isolated the most frequent corrupted characters from the failed upgrade 2 years ago.

It is very imperative that every user look at 5 threads from the past (random--this is a spot check) and look for:

1) post that appears to have no text

2) Posts where the subject name is in the body of the message with no other text present, over and over again for each message in the thread.

If there is any database error, it must be caught IMMEDIATELY.  Any problems should be reported via "Report to Moderator" immediately.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Note: There are still posts with the funky characters, since I have not replaced all of them yet--what I am getting at is posts that seemingly have no characters in them at all or the subject is repeated in the body of a post over and over again--because one side effect of doing replace operations on data is unintended consequences.

Regards,

Fr Anastasios
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 03:31:38 AM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 03:33:29 AM »

Thanks to the posters who have already sent me reports. Keep 'em coming!

Fr Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 11:01:45 AM »

One more person has responded, and I am sure that others have looked and not seeing anything, did not report any posts.

I'd appreciate if we could get a few more people to do a spot check and let me know even if you don't find anything, so I know that people are checking.

Basically, if there is any corruption and we do NOT catch it, it could be a very BIG problem, which would require us to roll back to yesterday's backup, losing all the posts from 10 pm EDT onward.

It doesn't seem that there is any major problem, but we need to be diligent and work together to figure this out, as I cannot possibly catch this all myself.

In Christ,

Fr Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 11:08:31 AM »

In case anyone is interested, here is what was replaced in Phase I:

’ --> ’
GÇÖ   --->   ’
‘   --->   ‘
GÇô   --->   -
GÇÿ   --->   ‘
GÇ£   --->   “
GÇ¥   --->   ”
GÇö   --->   —
”   --->   ”
“   --->   “
–   --->   —
—   --->   —

Please Buy My Book!

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 12:22:03 PM »

Ouch!

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Andrea

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 12:23:06 PM »

Father,

I'm a little confused. If we find posts with those characters (or similar) while looking in old posts, do you want those reported to you?

Andrea
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 12:26:29 PM »

Andrea,

Thank you for your question.

What is above is just an example of what I already fixed, and I am aware that there are still posts with other funky characters, so I don't need them reported.  Some have already done that, which is fine as it gives me a clue as to where to go next to fix, but what I am concerned about are two other scenarios which are possible byproducts of the fixing I am doing on these characters:

1) Posts that have no text at all in them--completely blank
2) Threads where every post is just the name of the thread repeated in each post

If anyone sees something like that, it would be very important to point out as it would mean the replacing I am doing is harming the database structure itself instead of just the text fields of the posts.

Thanks!

Fr Anastasios
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 12:29:08 PM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 12:27:19 PM »

Ouch!

The next thing I am going to fix is where it quotes you or Nektarios's names in Greek and it's all messed up. I will put back in your Greek names in all those posts Smiley  Also the "edited by" field in some posts....

Please Buy My Book!

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 03:26:06 PM »

I think it is safe to assume Phase I went well. Thanks for all the support so far. We will try Phase II probably tonight.

In Christ,

Fr Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 09:25:46 PM »

Recon Unit "Dirty Water Dogs" reports no gremlins nor orcs were observed or found...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 11:09:49 PM »

Anglican Geek unit has checked a number of ancient threads and found neither blanks nor boggarts in any of them so far.

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 12:09:08 AM »

Ouch!

The next thing I am going to fix is where it quotes you or Nektarios's names in Greek and it's all messed up. I will put back in your Greek names in all those posts Smiley  Also the "edited by" field in some posts....

Somehow I feel obligated to offer an honorarium of some sort for this...  Wink

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 12:20:31 AM »

Ouch!

Somehow I feel obligated to offer an honorarium of some sort for this...  Wink

*raises glass* για παπα Αναστασιο! 
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 12:33:45 AM »

Anglican Geek unit has checked a number of ancient threads and found neither blanks nor boggarts in any of them so far.

I did to yesterday.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: