OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 10:24:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dating 101: How to Tell When You're Ready to Commit  (Read 1346 times) Average Rating: 0
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« on: February 25, 2009, 04:49:16 AM »

Yahoo! Dating posted the following page about knowing when one is ready to commit by asking one's mate (and oneself) the following 8 questions:

Source

1. How do you believe we should spend our money and on what?
2. What are your thoughts about starting a family?
3. If I get sick, how will you take care of me?
4. Do you envision us growing old together?
5. Do you ever think about your ex?
6. Has your mate ever told you they scared a former mate in any way?
7. Is your mate good at problem solving?
8. How does my mate deal with a "screwup?
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 08:20:14 AM »

Way-way-way too rational to my taste. It does not even mention love, affection, feelings of longing, fear of separation, change in the world view ("nothing makes sense anymore without that person"). When I met my future wife, I knew for sure that I am ready to commit, without ever thinking about any of the listed Yahoo items. Same thing her. She says, half-jokingly, half-seriously, that "the moment of truth" came to her when the two of us went to a river beach and she noticed that I have long and very straight legs. (Because all other things - that I am intelligent and kind and in love with her - she had noticed before; the legs was the only thing that finally made up her mind.)

What a strange "left-brain" kind of world the "civilized" West is living in...

Love never fails.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 09:21:50 AM »

I wouldn't trust Yahoo! Dating for advice; how long has Yahoo! Dating been married?  Been in a relationship?

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 12:18:48 PM »

^^I wouldn't either.  But a few of those questions listed will probably be addressed by your priest or any good premarital counseling session.  Such as

Q1.  The money issue.  All of us who are or were married knows that this will come up.  I think it's important that a little time be spent addressing it.

Q2.  Family.  If one partner really wants a big family while the other really just wants a dog, wouldn't it be irresponsible to proceed with the marriage without first addressing this?

Q3.  Care.  I once broke up with a girl because on two occasions she neglected to offer me any of the food she had prepared and was eating in front of me.  And we had been dating for four months.  I surmised that if she was this selfish when we were dating, how would she behave in marriage?

Q5.  Seems like a valid issue but you should be able to answer that yourself after observing a person for a while.

Q7 & 8.  Very valid questions.  Does your potential husband/wife shy away from the difficult issues of life?  Do they tend to manipulate you into 'rescuing' them every time?  This probably belies a deeper issue that will surface after marriage.  Are you prepared emotionally, physically and financially to deal with it?  What happens when you 'screw up'?  Does your potential mate deal with it in a mature manner?  Or do they become unreasonably angry, emotionally upset,...  How a person deals with difficult problems and situations really is telling.

I didn't read the source, but the questions listed failed to mention 'religion'.  This is a HUGE issue for most folks.  And though it touched on family and problem solving, it failed to mention In-Laws.  Another big issue.  Lastly, studies show that along with money, sex is a big issue in a marriage.  Sex isn't simply tied to the procreation aspect; there's also a physical and emotional aspect. 

Again, though, I wouldn't base my decision solely on these questions.  Nor would I trust only my interpretation of them.  As an Orthodox Christian, you must seek the counsel of your spiritual father as well.   

« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 12:31:56 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 02:00:03 AM »

I wouldn't trust Yahoo! Dating for advice; how long has Yahoo! Dating been married?  Been in a relationship?

Why not?  Aren't the questions in the article fair ones to ask if one's observations are clouded by whatever reasons?
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 02:04:17 AM »

how long has Yahoo! Dating been married?  Been in a relationship?

Cool!
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 07:42:12 AM »

Why not?  Aren't the questions in the article fair ones to ask if one's observations are clouded by whatever reasons?

It's not about whether the questions are right or wrong; the questions have to be asked in the right way, at the right time, by the right person.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 09:13:11 AM »

Make sure it's God pleasing and you love eachother.

Otherwise she'll take half!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73VBuAqx_rw

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: