OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 05:53:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pennsylvania Rocked By 'Jailing Kids For Cash' Scandal  (Read 1692 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: February 23, 2009, 01:21:04 PM »

At a friend's sleepover more than a year ago, 14-year-old Phillip Swartley pocketed change from unlocked vehicles in the neighborhood to buy chips and soft drinks. The cops caught him.

There was no need for an attorney, said Phillip's mother, Amy Swartley, who thought at most, the judge would slap her son with a fine or community service.

But she was shocked to find her eighth-grader handcuffed and shackled in the courtroom and sentenced to a youth detention center. Then, he was shipped to a boarding school for troubled teens for nine months.

"Yes, my son made a mistake, but I didn't think he was going to be taken away from me," said Swartley, a 41-year-old single mother raising two boys in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania.

CNN does not usually identify minors accused of crimes. But Swartley and others agreed to be named to bring public attention to the issue.

As scandals from Wall Street to Washington roil the public trust, the justice system in Luzerne County, in the heart of Pennsylvania's struggling coal country, has also fallen prey to corruption. The county has been rocked by a kickback scandal involving two elected judges who essentially jailed kids for cash. Many of the children had appeared before judges without a lawyer.

The nonprofit Juvenile Law Center in Philadelphia said Phillip is one of at least 5,000 children over the past five years who appeared before former Luzerne County President Judge Mark Ciavarella...

To read the rest of the story go to: Pennsylvania Rocked By 'Jailing Kids For Cash' Scandal
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 01:21:27 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 03:21:07 PM »

Ciavarvella sent 15-year-old Hillary Transue to a wilderness camp for mocking an assistant principal on a MySpace page.

So much for the First Amendment.... Roll Eyes Anybody else thinking this is too close to George Orwell's 1984? Wink
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 03:24:17 PM by Myrrh23 » Logged

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Innocent
No longer posting on this site
Elder

St. Innocent of Alaska

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 04:02:47 PM »

This is scary!!
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 04:12:52 PM »

Ciavarvella sent 15-year-old Hillary Transue to a wilderness camp for mocking an assistant principal on a MySpace page.

So much for the First Amendment.... Roll Eyes Anybody else thinking this is too close to George Orwell's 1984? Wink
Funny...I actually located my copy of 1984 yesterday for a re-read.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 04:23:47 PM »

Nothing like a little thoughtcrime to brighten an afternoon.   Roll Eyes
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 07:15:27 AM »

Just a judge who apparently thinks he can do what he wants. If people are this upset with him, he'll lose the next election for sure (am I correct that PA judges are elected?).

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 08:33:19 AM »

Just a judge who apparently thinks he can do what he wants. If people are this upset with him, he'll lose the next election for sure (am I correct that PA judges are elected?).

Yes. Or he could be removed if ever convicted of a crime in this instance.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 09:32:46 AM »

What sort of people would do this sort of thing? To children?

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Innocent
No longer posting on this site
Elder

St. Innocent of Alaska

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 11:19:19 AM »

Greedy, evil people with no moral character. This is what happens when you replace God with money!
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 12:00:59 PM »

Oh, you think so?  In Chicago, they are elected, but in for life-or until the Feds get them (go Fitzgerald!).  Judge who thinks he can do what he wants?  Isn't that redundant?

Btw, when I was in Cook County, there was a lot of talk about how much the county gets for every prisoner.  In other words, the inmates had figured/found out the economic incentives for the powers that be to keep them there.  Sort of like Murphy's offer to take the Gitmo boys: he left out the part that the prisons would have to be built (his district doesn't have the facilities) nor the high security facilities in all of PA.  Jobs, jobs, jobs (remember "Roger and Me?").

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 12:28:17 PM »

Oh, you think so?  In Chicago, they are elected, but in for life-or until the Feds get them (go Fitzgerald!).  Judge who thinks he can do what he wants?  Isn't that redundant?
Oh, we were talking about Chicago? My bad. I thought the topic's title said "Pennsylvania."

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 12:34:53 PM »

The accused judges may have been harsh on juveniles but did show understanding to a drug dealer http://www.timesleader.com/news/hottopics/judges/_rsquo_91_case_casting_shadows_on_today_02-15-2009.html   Luzerne County Pa. has always been corrupt but innocent people were not ususally manipulated in the past. This is an added level of degenerate cruelty.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 12:37:37 PM by recent convert » Logged

Antiochian OC N.A.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 12:54:08 PM »

Oh, we were talking about Chicago? My bad. I thought the topic's title said "Pennsylvania."
Oh, yes, corruption is SOOO different in PA.  My bad.  I'd say more, but we are moderated.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 01:00:23 PM »

Oh, yes, corruption is SOOO different in PA.  My bad.  I'd say more, but we are moderated.
Everyone I've known from Chicago (including several family members) sees corruption everywhere they look. What I'm saying is that I think you are biased based on your experience with your politicians. You have become jaded, and therefore are unable to imagine that things are different anywhere else. So when you say such things, my first response is to question your objectivity. It's the reputation you've built up.

Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 02:10:23 PM »

People that sniffed the Monopoly money too much when they were themselves children? Wink
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 02:13:25 PM by Myrrh23 » Logged

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 02:21:52 PM »

Everyone I've known from Chicago (including several family members) sees corruption everywhere they look. What I'm saying is that I think you are biased based on your experience with your politicians. You have become jaded, and therefore are unable to imagine that things are different anywhere else. So when you say such things, my first response is to question your objectivity. It's the reputation you've built up.
OK, Voltaire.  To those who have ears...

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: