OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 05:49:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Article on a Russian church in Berlin in 1945  (Read 966 times) Average Rating: 0
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« on: February 18, 2009, 02:22:19 PM »

I was doing a bit of research after finding out that my father had been sent to Berlin in July 1945 and stayed there for about a year and a half and found that the American weekly paper had been scanned and set up on-line.  I've found out some fascinating things such as that Fiorello LaGuardia's sister, niece and grand-nephew were liberated from a Berlin prison and that there was a hospital only for Jews in that city that was apparently kept there to remind Germans of the people that were to be eliminated.  I found an article that might be of interest here on the forum for historical reasons.  There was a Russian Orthodox Church in Berlin with a priest, Fr. Dimitri Kratirow, who'd been "evacuated" by the Germans from Novgorod to Riga to Berlin.  There's also an intriguing bit about how the Soviet Union had total freedom of religion because no-one was asked what they believed in the army and all were buried under the Soviet star.

http://www.theberlinobserver.com/archive/1945V1/V1_N5_Oct_27.pdf

As can be seen it's a Pdf file and the story is on page 2.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 03:01:38 PM »

There's also an intriguing bit about how the Soviet Union had total freedom of religion

Hmmm....not sure I would agree with that bit.  If having a house ransacked in the middle of the night by the KGB because the little girl living their told her friends her baba talks with God...and having everything broken and destroyed, and the menfolk sent off to Siberia is freedom of religion....then that statement would be true.

May God save us from such "freedom".

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 12:46:40 PM »

I'm sorry. I was not, apparently, clear as to the point. Did you follow the link to read the article? 

In this article printed in the US armed forces weekly paper in Berlin in 1945, the bit from the Russian soldier is his telling the Americans how the Soviet system is somehow superior to that in the US or Britain or France.  It is a claim to more equal treatment.  I posted this link as an interesting historical curiosity with the way things were presented to the "outside" versus how things really were inside the Soviet Union. 

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 01:15:31 PM »

Smiley

I actually did read the article.  I found it most intersting to see the "old" paper.

Now I understand the point of it.  Yes, there was much "disinformation" going around in those days...

Today, with the Internet it's harder to "cover" things up, although I am sure many things are still hidden from public view, and only certain opinions and views are broadcast.

It is unfortunately, the nature of the world we live in.  Constant fight of good against evil.

Thanks for the post.  It was very interesting.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
antiderivative
Elder

Faith: Northeastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: A jurisdiction

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 09:58:36 PM »

Well, the Soviet Union did have pretty decent religious freedom during WWII, but that was only for a short period of time.

signature
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: