OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 05:49:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is "Cracker" a proper term for the RC Host?  (Read 5093 times) Average Rating: 0
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« on: February 19, 2009, 10:56:06 AM »

There are two versions of that painting, one Catholic and the other Protestant.  The Catholic version highlights the appearance of the Roman Eucharistic cracker on the forehead and a chalice on the temple.
CRACKER?Huh?!!!!!! I hope you are not just saying that to be offensive!

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
zoarthegleaner
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 05:53:58 PM »

I meant no offense, a cracker is by definition a crisp wafer and that is what is used is it not? 

Courteous is my name,
and I have always aimed to live up to it.
Grace is also my name,
but when things go wrong
its Courteous whom I blame;
but its Grace who sees me through it.
monkvasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 06:03:41 PM »

Proper terminology is wafer.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 06:07:45 PM »

I meant no offense, a cracker is by definition a crisp wafer and that is what is used is it not? 

"Cracker" I don't believe would be the correct term.  A)  Cracker is often used as an extremely offensive term to belittle the belief in the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist, and B) it isn't exactly crisp.

No harm done, it is just a misunderstanding.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 06:08:11 PM by Nebelpfade » Logged

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 06:19:56 PM »

Fundamentalists will often insult the Catholic belief of the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist by refering to it as a "cracker Christ".

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 07:01:52 PM »

Really?  While I would physically describe it as a wafer, that still doesn't sound proper, although besides "host" I'm having trouble coming up with a better name.
Innocent
No longer posting on this site
Elder

St. Innocent of Alaska

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 07:05:29 PM »

Really?  While I would physically describe it as a wafer, that still doesn't sound proper, although besides "host" I'm having trouble coming up with a better name.

While I was growing up Catholic we call it a "Host" or the "Body of Christ". I can't remember any other names used.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 07:11:08 PM »

While I was growing up Catholic we call it a "Host" or the "Body of Christ". I can't remember any other names used.

Is it called a "Host" before it is Consecrated, or is it only called the Host after consecration?

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 07:17:02 PM »

Is it called a "Host" before it is Consecrated, or is it only called the Host after consecration?

It *can* be used in both situations, but it is more proper to refer to it as the Host after consecration.  Before consecration, it is usually called "altar bread".

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
Innocent
Elder

St. Innocent of Alaska

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 07:29:30 PM »

I believe after only but I could be wrong.
Innocent
Elder

St. Innocent of Alaska

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 07:30:18 PM »

It *can* be used in both situations, but it is more proper to refer to it as the Host after consecration.  Before consecration, it is usually called "altar bread".

Did not see that. I guess I was wrong! Its been a long time!!  Grin
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 07:38:41 PM »

Did not see that. I guess I was wrong! Its been a long time!!  Grin

I had to think back to my grade 2 trip, when we met the Benedictine nuns who made the altar bread for our diocese.   laugh

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 10:42:14 AM »

"Cracker" is also ethnicist, egregious, and elitist.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 11:02:40 AM »

I've never heard it being called a "cracker", although I have never been an RC, or had much contact with them. It sounds rather on the disrespectful side to me...

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 01:38:46 PM »

My Latin friends in college use to say they needed to go get their "cracker and juice so they won't burn in hell" when they would go to Mass on Sunday night.

Joseph
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 02:02:56 PM »

My Latin friends in college use to say they needed to go get their "cracker and juice so they won't burn in hell" when they would go to Mass on Sunday night.

This seems pretty unnecessary.  It seems like your belittling Catholics by indicating a general irreverence among the laity.  Maybe, not, but it still seems offensive to me.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 01:39:36 PM »

Just because something is small and crisp doesn't mean that the same word can apply to it as to another thing.  The connotation of "cracker" is like a snack or a common food item of little nourishment or importance. So the word does not apply to a host.  I am also reminded of some of the peculiar not to say bizarre works of Jack Chick (rabidly anti-RC among other things) including one that refers to the Eucharistic host as "the Death Cookie"   Angry Roll Eyes

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 02:12:47 PM »

This seems pretty unnecessary.  It seems like your belittling Catholics by indicating a general irreverence among the laity.  Maybe, not, but it still seems offensive to me.
I know Orthodox laity (and some priest) who are even more irreverent. Just sharing that these friends of mine, who considered themselves "Good Catholics" because they would go to church each week, used the word "cracker" to describe the host. I know that they would announce were they were going in order to motivate the "Bad Catholics" who didn't go to church to go with them.   

Joseph
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 03:04:36 PM »

They were being irreverent.

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 04:14:32 PM »

I know Orthodox laity (and some priest) who are even more irreverent.

Me too.  And...I have to say...

You know how the thread titles get cut off after a few words?  I honestly was expecting to read some discussion about whether or not "cracker" was a proper term for white people or something!  ("Orthodox-CATHOLIC Discussion, DavidBryan; read next time...")

Shocked

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
zoarthegleaner
Elder

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 11:39:56 PM »

"Just because something is small and crisp doesn't mean that the same word can apply..."

What law of speech prohibits it being so?  Have you not read in Mark where our Lord describes a gentile child as a "little dog."  Which phrase appears more offensive: to call a child a little dog, or to call a round wafer a cracker?  Which one is more in accord with what is actually seen by the physical eye? 

Courteous is my name,
Grace is also my name,
but when things go wrong
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2009, 09:53:08 AM »

Isn't "cracker" the term P. Z. Meyers used when he posted pictures of himself desecrating a host on his blog?

Proverbs 22:7
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2009, 12:33:29 PM »

Isn't "cracker" the term P. Z. Meyers used when he posted pictures of himself desecrating a host on his blog?

Shalom!

Hey as an aside. Could we have a discussion about Judaism?

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009, 10:56:01 AM »

Myers did, indeed, use the term "cracker" in his blog.
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2008/07/the_great_desecration.php

And his use of the term shows how words are not isolated in meaning but can have connotations and ideas that come along with them.  He called the wafer a "cracker" specifically to show that it wasn't something special or sacred.  Crackers are made in factories by the millions, sold in boxes and snacked on without much thought. Who has reverence for a saltine or a triscuit?

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

zoarthegleaner
Elder

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2009, 11:35:21 AM »

"Crackers are made in factories by the millions, sold in boxes and snacked on without much thought."         Ebor

Crackers can be produced in small quanities and packaged fresh for sale daily.  Eucharistic wafers can and are manufacuted in mass quanities and sold in boxes.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-religion/2149734/posts

Courteous is my name,
Grace is also my name,
but when things go wrong
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2009, 12:01:06 PM »

Well, I guess that this is a matter of differences in language use.  Myers called the Eucharistic host a "cracker" to show disdain.  Other people can use the term and not mean it as an insult, but it is just their perspective.  However, I think that if people who do believe that it is the Body of Our Lord in the Eucharist object to calling it a "cracker" then their feelings should be considered.  Smiley

With respect,

Ebor

rwprof
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA now, Antiochian originally

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2009, 01:56:25 PM »

What many Protestants used can be more accurately be called a cracker. The RC Host is rather like plastic that melts on the roof of your mouth ("do not press with the teeth," St Athanasius), and is officially called a wafer.

Mark (rwprof) passed into eternal life on Jan 7, 2010.  May his memory be eternal!
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2014, 10:25:18 PM »

Cracker sounds better than :

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2014, 10:26:59 PM »

Which came first: the image (which you wanted to post somewhere), or the thread (which prompted you to find an image)?  Cool
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2014, 10:28:00 PM »

Which came first: the image (which you wanted to post somewhere), or the thread (which prompted you to find an image)?  Cool

A mystery, indeed.  Cheesy

No, I noticed someone was looking at this thread and remembered that particular tract.

TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2014, 10:30:42 PM »

Happy Thread Resurrection Day

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
DeniseDenise
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2014, 10:39:15 PM »

yikes...

I saw the thread title and thought it was about some sort of white RC talk show host...

*this is what happens when you have a headache*
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy.

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2014, 10:55:36 PM »

Is "cracker" at least better than "Judaizing heresy"?

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Tom

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2014, 08:22:48 AM »

I am a former Roman Catholic and I find the use of the word "cracker" for the Host very insulting and offensive. 
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2014, 09:35:29 AM »

I am a former Roman Catholic and I find the use of the word "cracker" for the Host very insulting and offensive. 

Me too.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
sakura95
Love Live School Idol Festival noob :(
Warned
High Elder

Faith: Deciding between Coptic and Greek Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Constaninople and Alexandria

Good Morning OC Net (。・ω・)ノ゙

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2014, 10:53:24 AM »

Same here  Angry I prefer to call them "Communion Wafers" before the Consecration and the "Host" or "Body of Christ" after consecration. I however, do wonder about why don't the Roman Rite of the Catholic Church serve the Blood of Christ that is the Consecrated Wine in the chalice to the Baptized laity? I asked about this once in Catechism Class only to get the unsatisfactory answer that it is for "economical reasons". Even Anglicans(Through dipping the Host in the Chalice) and Protestants actually serve the wine to the laity during their own versions of the Holy Communion. 
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 10:53:46 AM by sakura95 » Logged

Lord Have Mercy on my weak and doubtful soul
Justin Kolodziej
Party per fess argent and gules; in chief a Latin cross bottony sable between two lozenges azure; in base a wheel, or.
Elder

Faith: Converting
Jurisdiction: GOC-Kallinikos....one day

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2014, 06:21:10 PM »

Same here  Angry I prefer to call them "Communion Wafers" before the Consecration and the "Host" or "Body of Christ" after consecration. I however, do wonder about why don't the Roman Rite of the Catholic Church serve the Blood of Christ that is the Consecrated Wine in the chalice to the Baptized laity? I asked about this once in Catechism Class only to get the unsatisfactory answer that it is for "economical reasons". Even Anglicans(Through dipping the Host in the Chalice) and Protestants actually serve the wine to the laity during their own versions of the Holy Communion. 
You do realize most Roman Catholic parishes do offer the Precious Blood to everyone now, even at daily mass? (Of course this gets traditionalists' panties in a bunch along with many other things, but I digress.)

Where even the last two or three are gathered in His name, He is there in their midst.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2014, 06:41:43 PM »

"Cracker" I don't believe would be the correct term.  A)  Cracker is often used as an extremely offensive term to belittle the belief in the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist, and B) it isn't exactly crisp.

No harm done, it is just a misunderstanding.

"Cracker" is a derogatory term used in those Chick tracts.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2014, 06:44:35 PM »

"Crackers are made in factories by the millions, sold in boxes and snacked on without much thought."         Ebor

Crackers can be produced in small quanities and packaged fresh for sale daily.  Eucharistic wafers can and are manufacuted in mass quanities and sold in boxes.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-religion/2149734/posts

Unfortunately, most wafers used during the Roman Catholic Mass are mass-produced by commercial enterprieses. Very few nuns bake altar breads because they cannot make a living doing so. I used to bake altar breads when I was in a monastery. It is very hard and hot work, slaving over those ovens where the humidity must be high in order to cut the breads so that they will not smash into tiny bits, but businesses can do it much less expensively than nuns. We had the bakers (resembled a waffler maker), the humidifiers, and two types of cutters.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 06:47:38 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Brigidsboy
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2014, 07:18:54 PM »

There is a resurgence of the practice of producing Altar Bread in convents and religious communities. Here is one example from a convent in Kentucky:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ryL3xLPAPqk
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 07:19:39 PM by Brigidsboy » Logged

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Justin Kolodziej
Party per fess argent and gules; in chief a Latin cross bottony sable between two lozenges azure; in base a wheel, or.
Elder

Faith: Converting
Jurisdiction: GOC-Kallinikos....one day

« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2014, 09:18:19 PM »

For a while the parish I grew up in had stopped using wafer hosts and gone to some sort of hopefully unleavened baked bread that was like very dense actual bread. I haven't been back there in years though except once in 2009, so I don't know if they ever switched back to the standard hosts, or if the bishop laid the smack down on that practice because of the possible profanation of the Blessed Sacrament through the crumbs possibly getting all over everywhere...i have a feeling the bishop actually encouraged it Cry

Where even the last two or three are gathered in His name, He is there in their midst.
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2014, 02:33:08 AM »

For a while the parish I grew up in had stopped using wafer hosts and gone to some sort of hopefully unleavened baked bread that was like very dense actual bread. I haven't been back there in years though except once in 2009, so I don't know if they ever switched back to the standard hosts, or if the bishop laid the smack down on that practice because of the possible profanation of the Blessed Sacrament through the crumbs possibly getting all over everywhere...i have a feeling the bishop actually encouraged it Cry

Is there anything particularly wrong with using unleavened bread as opposed to wafers?

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
sakura95
Love Live School Idol Festival noob :(
Warned
High Elder

Faith: Deciding between Coptic and Greek Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Constaninople and Alexandria

Good Morning OC Net (。・ω・)ノ゙

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2014, 03:07:34 AM »

You do realize most Roman Catholic parishes do offer the Precious Blood to everyone now, even at daily mass? (Of course this gets traditionalists' panties in a bunch along with many other things, but I digress.)

This is rather odd, Catholic Parishes in my country do not offer the Precious Blood to the Baptized at all.

Lord Have Mercy on my weak and doubtful soul
JGHunter
Settling dust
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Kingdom of Heaven

« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2014, 04:40:03 AM »

I was genuinely expecting more blaxploitation jokes, like 'only if I'm having it with cheese pickle and a slice of jive turkey'.

Lord Deliver Us.

I no longer use this profile for conversation, only news, PMs and prayer requests.
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The San Franciscan Orthodox Church of New York, Big Apple and Fourth Rome

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2014, 05:31:05 AM »

I prefer "Caucasian."

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: