OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 09:26:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Second St. Nicholas' Day  (Read 2473 times) Average Rating: 0
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« on: February 19, 2009, 03:34:16 PM »

Everyone knows that St. Nicholas is commemorated on 6th of December. But in my country (Poland) there is a custom to celebrate the anniversary of moving his relics to Bari. So on 9th/22nd of May we also gather and have a feast. For me it's completely strange to celebrate the fact that Catholic crusaders stole the relics from Myra and took them to the Italy. I've heard that the custom to celebrate it was introduced after the Union of Brest and it was left after coming back to the Orthodoxy in 1830s.

I'm curious if you also celebrate this feast. I'm asking especially UOCers and ACRODers as they also use to be Byzantine Catholics for some period of time.

no longer posting here
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 04:55:43 PM »

The feast of the translation of the relics of St Nicholas is celebrated by all Orthodox.
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 05:11:28 PM »

Shocked That's completely new to me, I didn't known. Do you have info when it was introduced, why and by who?

no longer posting here
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 05:31:18 PM »

We don't celebrate it in the EP. It's not on any calendar I can see.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 05:38:05 PM »

I've got it on May 20th (feast of St. Thallelaios) in the "Eortologion" in the back of an Ieratikon from the Monastery of Simonopetra.  I'll try to find it elsewhere.

In the Great Synaxaristes from Holy Apostles Convent (May volume) it is also listed on May 20th, along with the note that the account was translated from Slavonic by Nikodemos the Hagiorite, who also composed a complete service for the day.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 05:41:56 PM by cleveland » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 05:41:41 PM »

The May 9(22) Feast is only celebrated by the Slavs as far as I know:

http://ocafs.oca.org/FeastSaintsViewer.asp?SID=4&ID=1&FSID=101336

"...the Greek Church did not establish the celebration of this remembrance, since they regarded the loss of the relics of St Nicholas was a sad event.The Russian Orthodox Church celebration of the memory of the Transfer of the Relics of St Nicholas from Myra in Lycia to Bari in Italy on May 9 was established soon after the year 1087, on the basis of an already established veneration by the Russian people of the great saint of God, brought from Greece simultaneously with the acceptance of Christianity. The glorious accounts ot the miracles performed by the saint on both land and sea, were widely known to the Russian people. Their inexhaustible strength and abundance testify to the help of the great saint of God for suffering mankind. The image of St Nicholas, a mighty wonderworker and benefactor, became especially dear to the heart of the Russian people, since it inspired deep faith and hope for his intercession. The faith of the Russian people in the abundant aid of God's saint was marked by numerous miracles."
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 05:43:11 PM by Deacon Lance » Logged

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 05:43:00 PM »

The May 9(22) Feast is only celbrated by the Slavs:

It's celebrated, but on a different day, and not with much fanfare by the Greek-influenced churches.

p.s. I found it in the Greek menaion online on the 20th (http://analogion.net/glt/texts/May/20.uni.htm).
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 05:44:52 PM by cleveland » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 05:43:44 PM »

I've got it on May 20th (feast of St. Thallelaios) in the "Eortologion" in the back of an Ieratikon from the Monastery of Simonopetra.  I'll try to find it elsewhere.

Ah! Different date.
Do you know what the hymns for the feast say?

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 05:46:22 PM »

Ah! Different date.

I don't know - in the menaion, the only hymns are for St. Thallelaios; so any hymns for the transfer of the relics would be in a fylada or something like that.

---------------------
Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 05:56:09 PM »

Troparion
A day of festal joy has come.  The city of Bari rejoices and the world sings with it.  Today we celebrate the transfer of the relics of the wonderworking and holy Nicholas.  Just as the perfect Light has gleamed in glory, so does Nicholas disperse the darkness of temptation for those who sing out: Save us as a patron, O Nicholas.

Kontakion
Like a star rising in the East, your relics have arisen and come to the West.  The waters of the sea have been hallowed by your passage, and the city of Bari has received grace from you.  You are truly a most wonderful miracle-worker and merciful prelate, therefore we praise you.

LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 06:01:55 PM »

Ah! Different date.

Shouldn't be too difficult to find out. My liturgical archive has the service in both Slavonic and Greek, I'll see what I can come up with. Another detail: There is a folk custom in Russia to refer to the saint's December feast as "Winter Nicholas", and the May feast as "Summer Nicholas". Yes, I know, the latter feast is not quite in summer, but I guess "Spring Nicholas" wouldn't quite cut it.  laugh
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 06:02:18 PM »

Troparion
A day of festal joy has come.  The city of Bari rejoices and the world sings with it.  Today we celebrate the transfer of the relics of the wonderworking and holy Nicholas.  Just as the perfect Light has gleamed in glory, so does Nicholas disperse the darkness of temptation for those who sing out: Save us as a patron, O Nicholas.

Kontakion
Like a star rising in the East, your relics have arisen and come to the West.  The waters of the sea have been hallowed by your passage, and the city of Bari has received grace from you.  You are truly a most wonderful miracle-worker and merciful prelate, therefore we praise you.

Which Church's hymns are these?

Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 06:05:35 PM »

These are used in the Byzantine Catholic Metropolia of Pittsburgh.  I am assuming the same are used in other Slav Churches, Orthodox and Catholic.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 06:06:02 PM by Deacon Lance » Logged

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 06:15:27 PM »

Just for comparison purposes, the hymns quoted by Deacon Lance do not appear in the Holy Myrrhbearer's Monastery (OCA) menaion nor in the Menologion 3.0 program.  The story of the translation of the relics does appear in the latter's synaxarion, though.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 06:39:22 PM »

edit:
sorry, I hadn't read it carefully

Troparion
A day of festal joy has come. The city of Bari rejoices and the whole world enjoys with it with hymns and spiritual songs because we celebrate the transfer of the honourable and perfectly restorative relics of the wonderworking Bishop Nicholas, who just as the non-dusking Sun has gleamed with bright beams dispersing the darkness of temptation and bad luck for those who sing out with faith: Save us as a patron, O Nicholas.

Kontakion
Like a dawn from the East to the West, your relics, Bishop Nicholas, did.  The sea have been hallowed by your passage, and the city of Bari has received grace from you because you became a great wonderworker fo us, admirable and merciful

In my Church's horologion they are like this
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 06:54:38 PM by mike » Logged

no longer posting here
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2009, 05:11:08 PM »

There is a Russian tale why St. Nicholas has his feast twice in year:

Once upon a time St. Nicholas and St. John Casianus were wandering on Earth to help people, perform miracles etc. One day God called them to Himself, so they set off to Heaven. They were going through the forest when they saw a wagon stuck in mud and a peasant calling for help. St. John said that he won't appear in front of God in dirty vestments, but St. Nicholas didn't care and helped the poor man.

When they finally appeared in front of God (St. John - clean, St. Nicholas - in vestments covered with mud) God was shocked a bit and He asked what had happened. They told Him, and God was impressed by St. Nicholas' actions.

Since that moment St. Nicholas has his feast twice per year and St. John Casianus once per 4 years (of course his feast is transferred to 28th of February during non-leap years, but that is only a story Tongue).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 05:12:14 PM by mike » Logged

no longer posting here
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: