OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 09:25:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Primate's of Church of Czech and Slovak Lands visit to the US  (Read 1745 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: February 19, 2009, 02:35:56 PM »

photoreport
Has one have more info about this event? What else has he have been visiting/have visited? Or something like that...

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 05:35:38 PM »

found something more

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 07:07:16 PM »

Thank you for sharing the pictures with us Mike!

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 07:58:06 PM »

photoreport
Has one have more info about this event? What else has he have been visiting/have visited? Or something like that...
I am sitting just blocks away from the Cathedral in the pictures, and this is the first I've heard of it. Sad

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
LBK
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 08:09:15 PM »

I am sitting just blocks away from the Cathedral in the pictures, and this is the first I've heard of it. Sad

Sadly typical of the phyletist variety of Orthodox. Rarely ones to spread the word among those not of their "own". In my experience, it usually falls on the volition of laymen who can see past their own parish and jurisdiction for such news to get around.  Roll Eyes Sad
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 08:09:42 PM by LBK » Logged
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 11:35:27 PM »

Sadly typical of the phyletist variety of Orthodox. Rarely ones to spread the word among those not of their "own". In my experience, it usually falls on the volition of laymen who can see past their own parish and jurisdiction for such news to get around.  Roll Eyes Sad

What's with the phyletist charge??

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 12:01:47 AM »

I could give many examples from my direct experience that events which are of significance to all Orthodox people, irrespective of jurisdiction, are very often publicised only within that parish, or that jurisdiction. For instance, visits of relics of saints, or wonderworking icons seem to only be publicised among those of the same jurisdiction or ethnicity. Any Orthodox "outsiders" usually have no idea, other than if they have been informed by the efforts of individuals who can see beyond their parochial and jurisdictional noses.

An example: The Kursk-Root icon of the Mother of God has visited my neck of the woods. In the city I live in, there are several Greek, one Antiochian, two Serbian, a Belorussian, a Bulgarian, a Romanian, and a Ukrainian church, all, of course, Orthodox. Yet the only folks who got to know about it outside of the Russian church which hosted the icon were the few who got to know about it through the efforts of a tiny number of parishioners of this Russian church, who had the nous to recognise that such an important event was very significant to all Orthodox, not just those who belonged to that parish or jurisdiction.

Sadly, this is but one example of the frequent insularity of many Orthodox parishes, which, I'm afraid, could only be attributable to phyletism.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 12:15:34 AM »

I could give many examples from my direct experience that events which are of significance to all Orthodox people, irrespective of jurisdiction, are very often publicised only within that parish, or that jurisdiction. For instance, visits of relics of saints, or wonderworking icons seem to only be publicised among those of the same jurisdiction or ethnicity. Any Orthodox "outsiders" usually have no idea, other than if they have been informed by the efforts of individuals who can see beyond their parochial and jurisdictional noses.

An example: The Kursk-Root icon of the Mother of God has visited my neck of the woods. In the city I live in, there are several Greek, one Antiochian, two Serbian, a Belorussian, a Bulgarian, a Romanian, and a Ukrainian church, all, of course, Orthodox. Yet the only folks who got to know about it outside of the Russian church which hosted the icon were the few who got to know about it through the efforts of a tiny number of parishioners of this Russian church, who had the nous to recognise that such an important event was very significant to all Orthodox, not just those who belonged to that parish or jurisdiction.

Sadly, this is but one example of the frequent insularity of many Orthodox parishes, which, I'm afraid, could only be attributable to phyletism.

I see. So what are you doing to change this tide of insularity??

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 12:23:10 AM »

I am one of that small but dedicated number of people which is doing what it can to spread the word among the wider Orthodox community where I live. Do not think that I am idle in this regard.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 12:28:57 AM »

I am one of that small but dedicated number of people which is doing what it can to spread the word among the wider Orthodox community where I live. Do not think that I am idle in this regard.

Right. Because I can see how calling them phyletists can be a great building block towards Church unity.

LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 12:43:20 AM »

Right. Because I can see how calling them phyletists can be a great building block towards Church unity.

I can easily see the irony in your post, and, rest assured, I am not offended in the least. A healthy antidote to phyletism is to be exposed to the different "flavours" of Orthodoxy, whether by personal contact, mixed Orthodox marriage, attending a church which is not one's "cradle", and thereby develop a discernment which allows one to distinguish between folk custom and the things of Orthodoxy which are inviolable. It's not easy, but it's possible.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 01:22:22 AM »

Oh, you catty girls knock it off.  Grin

Seriously though, this church looks beautiful from what I can tell:

And look, not a pew in sight AND headcoverings...I think this might truly be heaven on Earth!
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 01:52:08 AM »

I can easily see the irony in your post, and, rest assured, I am not offended in the least. A healthy antidote to phyletism is to be exposed to the different "flavours" of Orthodoxy, whether by personal contact, mixed Orthodox marriage, attending a church which is not one's "cradle", and thereby develop a discernment which allows one to distinguish between folk custom and the things of Orthodoxy which are inviolable. It's not easy, but it's possible.

This is definitely not a mindset that will be conquered in a few years; it is a generational battle.  "Living in truth" (to borrow an idea from a famous Czech - see I'm staying on topic!) in these small ways is the way to eventually bring about positive change by the time the next generation comes into power. 
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 03:47:00 AM »

To be fair, it appears that this visit was arranged by Bishop Peter of ROCOR and they are still learning about cooperating with the rest of us. I actually rejoice to see that Bishop Peter took Metropolitan Christopher to visit the other hierarchs in Chicago; this would not have happened 5 years ago.

Joseph
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 04:14:59 AM »

of ROCOR and they are still learning about cooperating with the rest of us.

I accept what you have said, arimethea, but the problem I referred to is not exclusive to ROCOR. The Greek church is much the same, as are the other "ethnic" churches. Sad. So sad.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 11:00:49 AM »

of ROCOR and they are still learning about cooperating with the rest of us.

I accept what you have said, arimethea, but the problem I referred to is not exclusive to ROCOR. The Greek church is much the same, as are the other "ethnic" churches. Sad. So sad.

It may just be your location, there are a number of areas in which all the Orthodox churches share with each other everything. When a bishop comes all the churches show up. It may just be a size thing too, in Chicago there are a number of each jurisdiction's parishes that there is not the need to share everything with every parish since there are well over 100 orthodox parishes in the Chicago area but other places in the where the number of parishes is lower you see greater cooperation.

I am not picking on Chicago either, because I do think they have a lot of cooperation. With the number of Bishops that are present in the city they get a long and do encourage their clergy to work together. Can it be better, yes, but I don't think the situation is as dire as you are making it.

Joseph
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: