OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 05:06:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bio of Fr Seraphim Rose  (Read 2549 times) Average Rating: 0
CDHealy

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

I'm a philosophy major.

chealy5
« on: November 04, 2002, 04:21:40 PM »

Wasn't sure where to put this, so I put it here.

I'm reading Fr Damascene Christenson's biography of Fr. Seraphim Rose.  I'm finding it extremely interesting and informative.  And as a result I've checked out a few of Fr Rose's books from the university libraries I frequent.

I have a couple of questions:
1. I know that Cathy Scott has a biography of Fr Rose, how does it compare to Fr Damascene's?

2. I've seen enough messages on various lists to know that Fr Rose is a controversial figure, but frankly have not seen any actual claims as to what makes him a concern.  Can anyone elaborate?  I'm not asking this to dig up dirt (so feel free to message me privately), but am wondering if I should be concerned about the works I'm reading of his.  So far nothing in Fr Damascene's bio raises any flags for me, but then I'm pretty much a neophyte inquirer into Orthodoxy.

Thanks.

Clifton D. Healy
email: chealy5@yahoo.com
blog: http://benedictseraphim.wordpress.com

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--Hamlet,
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2002, 05:12:54 PM »

Clifton,

I've read the Fr Damascene book cover to cover and it is an excellent course in Fr Seraphim's writings over his lifetime. As for the criticism in it of bishops and other people, I wasn't offended because I know the Church is the sinless bride of Christ paradoxically made up mostly of sinful people (including sinful bishops and sinful monks). I haven't read the Scott book but believe it is more personal and less theological, taken from Eugene Rose/Fr Seraphim's letters to his family and not from his many Orthodox writings.

My Fr Seraphim page

Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2002, 05:34:33 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

Here is an excellent review about the book you just read.

http://www.roca.org/oa/126-127/126p.htm

I have heard that Cathy Scott focuses mostly mostly on Father Serpahim when he was Eugene Rose, pre-Orthodoxy. Also, as a writer of crime novels about rap stars that were murdered, she seems totally wrong for this book and some have said that she has used fabrications and exaggerations to try to make this book as exciting as her books on Biggie Smalls and TuPac Shakur. So if you do choose to read it, understand it is monstly about the man before he found Holy Orthodoxy and that all of it may not be straight up facts. God Bless!

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
CDHealy

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

I'm a philosophy major.

chealy5
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2002, 05:52:39 PM »

So, then, as I understand, the controversy is about the book--I have noticed some of the critical comments of synods and clerics--more than regarding Fr. Seraphim per se.  Is that right?

Based on the comments on the Scott book, think I'll avoid it.

Clifton D. Healy
email: chealy5@yahoo.com
blog: http://benedictseraphim.wordpress.com

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--Hamlet,
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2002, 07:35:08 PM »

Clifton,

So, then, as I understand, the controversy is about the book--I have noticed some of the critical comments of synods and clerics--more than regarding Fr. Seraphim per se.  Is that right?

Right.

cparks

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2002, 08:21:15 PM »

St Hermans' Press is working on a new edition that will include more early early material about/from Fr Seraphim.  It will also remove certain material related to the monastery's "situation," eg-bishops, etc, at the time of the last edition.

Also, I read the Cathy Scott book.  It's very interesting, mostly letters written by him, and provides a good glimpse at where Eugene Rose was coming from when he became Orthodox.

Also interesting is Letters From Fr Seraphim, recently published by Fr Alexey Young.  

Chrysostomos
Tags: Fr. Seraphim Rose 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: