OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 11:01:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seven New Bishops for the Orthodox Church of the East  (Read 2386 times) Average Rating: 0
theorthodoxchurch
georgy

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Indian Orthodox Malankara Church

georgy

« on: February 19, 2009, 02:26:47 PM »

A New Record in the History of Indian Christianity

The Indian Orthodox Church set a new record in the history by Ordinating Seven Bishops for the service of the Church. This is for the fist time that any Church in India has ordinated seven Bishops at a stretch. The ordination took place on 19th of February at the St george Orthodox Church Puthupally, Kottyam, Kerala, India, which is also the Oriental Georgian Pilgrimage Center. His Holiness Catholcose of the East and Malankara Metropolitan Moron Mar Baselius Marthoma Dydimos I (Catholicose of the Apostolic Throne of St Thomas) ordinated the new bishops with assistance from His Beatitude Paulsoe Mar Militheos, Catholicose Designate and together with other Metropolitans and priests of the Church. The newly ordinated Bishops are

1. H.G.Youhanon Mar Polycarpos

2. H.G. Mathews Mar Theodosius

3. H.G. Joseph Mar Dionysius

4. H.G. Abraham Mar Epiphanios

5. H.G. Mathews Mar Thimotheos

6. H.G.Alexios Mar Eusebius

7. H.G. Youhanon Mar Dioscoros

Thousands gathered to take a look at the holy ordination. A public meeting followed which was attended by several dignitaries .

For snaps Visit:
http://www.theorthodoxchurch.info/blogs/news/news.html

« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 02:35:20 PM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

georgy
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 02:36:36 PM »

Thanks George.

I edited the bold formatting out of your post. I am a picky person and bold should be used only for highlighting, not for entire posts. You're not the only person that does this, but I do try to catch it whenever I notice it.

Could you maybe speak to why they felt the need to ordain so many at once? Is this due to growth? Or retirements of older bishops?

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Innocent
No longer posting on this site
Elder

St. Innocent of Alaska

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 03:25:16 PM »

Could you maybe speak to why they felt the need to ordain so many at once? Is this due to growth? Or retirements of older bishops?

I was thinking the same thing. That's pretty awesome if growth of the Orthodox Church in India necessitated this!
paul2004
Paul
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 05:46:47 PM »

Updates:19th Feb 12:20 PM Seven new bishops named as

1. H.G.Youhanon Mar Polycarpos

2. H.G. Mathews Mar Theodosius

3. H.G. Joseph Mar Dionysius

4. H.G. Abraham Mar Epiphanios

5. H.G. Mathews Mar Thimotheos

6. H.G. Alexios Mar Eusebius

7. H.G. Youhanon Mar Dioscoros

For more information, pictures and videos, please visit:
http://mosc.in/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=60&Itemid=185
http://www.malankaraorthodox.tv/feb%2019%20puthuppally/Holy%20Consecration/index.html

Paul
surajiype

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Malankara Orthodox Church

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 02:55:23 AM »

Fr Anastasios,

Bless.

Actually Church by-laws demand that a gathering of clergy and lay representatives from all parishes of all dioceses and monastic institution's nominate candidates and then for the Holy Synod to consider them further. Since the Church is now spread all over the world, organizing such a general synod is a task.

A lot of senior Bishops (5) had departed in the last year and a half , hence the large number and 2-3 new dioceses are being added , with the number of unexpected vacancies ( 2 bishops passed away in the last month) , I guess we could still need couple of new Bishops in addition to the new hierarchs.
The Church is growing, but I guess we could do much much better.

Suraj Iype
theorthodoxchurch
georgy

georgy

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 01:27:10 AM »

Yes What Suraj Said is right.. The Ordination has resulted out of the departure of senior bishops as well as the formation of new diocese. But immediately the Indian Church must go for another election of bishop, since we need more bishops to serve the holy Church and her mission. Orthodox Church in India is not experiencing high growth comparing to the sister Orthodox Churches. We have our own problems and challenges, but despite of it we have succeeded to maintain the holy Orthodox faith. There are missions, but we have to improve a lot..

The major threats can be divided into four

1. Conflict with the Jacobite Syrian Church over property and authority(Part of Syrian Orthodox Church)

2. Threats from Pentecostal and other neo-protestant groups

3. Threat from  Malankara Catholic Rite (One of the Eastern Catholic Rite in India)

4. The internal politics within the Church

There has been a book published by Orthodoxy Beyond Limits Forum titled- "Orthodox Church of the East in the Twenty First Century: Challenges and Opportunities"  which discuss the problems, challenges and opportunities for the Orthodox Church India. It is one of the first kind of book written in the history of the Church with exclusive focus on administration and management.

georgy
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 07:14:24 PM »

Thanks for answering my questions.

How does your church fare in North India, especially in comparison with the Eastern Rite Catholics, whom I understand are not allowed to establish fully-independent structures there since the Latin Church has ruled that North India is Latin "canonical territory" and thus any Eastern Rite Catholic structures must be approved by the Latin Church?

Does your independence from such restrictions benefit you there?

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
theorthodoxchurch
georgy

georgy

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 10:50:09 PM »

Dear Father the Indian Orthodox Church has got a number of strong missions and organizations in North India, especially developed by the Late Bishop of Culcutta Dioscese His Grace Dr Stepanose Mar Theodosius, His Grace was indeed a Missionary Champion and also by His Garce Dr Geevraghese Mar Osthatios. But these missions are to be strengthened further.

We don't have any restrictions to establish missions  like the Eastern Catholics Rites, We re fully autonomous and autocephaleos under the ancient see of St Thomas and our supreme head is His Holiness Moron Mar Baselius Marthoma Dydimos I Catholicose of the all East and Malankara Metropolitan, who is the 90th successor to the throne of St Thomas. The Eastern Catholic rites in India . yes are under the juristriction of Latin Dioseces in North India.

But it is truly amazing that the Armenian Church in India has Churches(renovated many of them, College and a philanthropic society in Culcutta) The Greek Orthodox Church Churches in Calcutta is having strong mission works, they have health clinics, churches, and also a many converts to Orthodoxy both in India and Bangladesh.

We have placed called Brahmavar India were we have group of Latin Catholics who reunited with the Mother Orthodox Church centuries back under the leadership of His Grace Alvaris Mar Julius. This is the real reunion, even before many of the so called eastern Catholic Rites formed their union with Rome.  Now there a number of families, they are under a monk appointed by our church, but they are not in the main stream. There were more families but ignorance from our side made them quit the Church to Roman Rites. Now it has been heard that the Malankara Catholic Rite is trying to establish a dioseces their aiming at stealing the remaining orthodox families.. really sad.. 

georgy
surajiype

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 08:29:27 AM »

The majority of Roman Catholic missionaries both priests and nuns are Eastern Catholics of the Syro- Malabar rite of Kerala (East syrian/Chaldean rite). They are absorbed into the Latin Rite, and all though they are said to be biritual religious, they basically become Latin rite priests under Latin Rite bishops.

The Orthodox ofcourse are under no such restrictions, but Catholics over the last 200 years have built up very efficient missions and associated centers. I must confess that in comparison to the Catholic effort, the Orthodox lag behind.

The Syro Malankara Catholics who went over from the Orthodox, are still in 'unionist' mode in Kerala and try to get Orthodox to come over, it mostly happens through a number of educational institutions that have been built by them, in return for education and employment oppurtunities many Orthodox are encouraged to go over. 
Malankara Catholics also try and build churches close to Orthodox ones and since the liturgy is the same, they try to get Orthodox to go over.

I am not being polemical , but this is the common Orthodox perception, and relations are strained between the Churches often.
On the other hand relations with the other Eastern Catholic church in India, the Syro Malabars are considerably better, because there is no attempt for proselytization aimed at the Orthodox.

Suraj
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 02:10:19 PM »

Thank you for your replies!

I visited St Mary's Cathedral(?) in New Delhi twice in 2000 during my visit and met the Metropolitan briefly.  Since then I have been curious about the state of your Church in North India.

Please Buy My Book!

surajiype

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 01:00:35 AM »

My pleasure Father !

Met. Job is in rather poor health nowadays,  He is really earning his name. 
Do remember him in your prayers

Suraj 
Tags: New Bishops Oriental Orthodox Indian Orthodox bishops Ordination 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: