OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 26, 2014, 01:37:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Should children be spanked?
Absolutely yes! - 33 (18.8%)
In some cases, yes. - 80 (45.5%)
Maybe. - 13 (7.4%)
No, probably not. - 20 (11.4%)
Absolutely not! - 30 (17%)
Total Voters: 176

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spanking - Yea or Nay?  (Read 59476 times) Average Rating: 3
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #360 on: August 02, 2011, 01:53:54 PM »

This discussion is rather comical to me, in that, most of the actions i felt sure i would take, in any given situation, more often than not, went out the window, in favour of whatever solved the situation in the fastest, most convenient way possible for a busy mum in the midst of a harried day. That seemed to be the hallmark of my 'parenting style'.

;~)

~ Dyhn

It would be more comical to me if I could understand half of it.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #361 on: August 02, 2011, 01:56:44 PM »

I was merely pointing out that YOUR assertation of..... you need to smack them because you can't be with them ALL the time non sequitur?? Ithinkyso

Not at all. Using the hot oven rule, the child will be afraid of the punishment because they dont understand the repercussions of things that COULD happen. Just like popping your kid on the bottom for trying to drink Drain-O. They dont understand what could]/i] happen but they are aware of the physical repercussions of a popping on the behind if "mom or dad" found out. Later on, once they're able to think ahead to repercussions, such tactics are no longer necessary.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
Poppy
OC.net guru

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Hanbali fiqh

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #362 on: August 02, 2011, 04:12:21 PM »

I was merely pointing out that YOUR assertation of..... you need to smack them because you can't be with them ALL the time non sequitur?? Ithinkyso

Not at all. Using the hot oven rule, the child will be afraid of the punishment because they dont understand the repercussions of things that COULD happen. Just like popping your kid on the bottom for trying to drink Drain-O. They dont understand what could]/i] happen but they are aware of the physical repercussions of a popping on the behind if "mom or dad" found out. Later on, once they're able to think ahead to repercussions, such tactics are no longer necessary.

PP
How come dont you get it??

Why do they need to understand the repercussions of things they don't understand before they can understand them??

Shall i tell them all about pedophiles when they are 6 years old?? NO of course not.... because they dont need to know that.... OUR job as parents is to protect them not scare the heck out of them and worry them with adult things!!!

The hot oven....THEY SHOULDNT BE EVEN NEAR IT IF PARENTS PROTECT THEM PROPERLY....so no need to smack them just move them away.

ugh i am done with this thread you are all driving me up a tree
Seafra

Faith: British Orthodox hopeful

It's in the shelter of each other that people live

Mr.Dougherty
« Reply #363 on: January 01, 2012, 02:29:48 PM »

Proverbs speaks of the rod quite frequently. From a Biblical perspective one must spank their children.

Proverbs 13:24 King James Version He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.
Malina

Jurisdiction: Russian Patriarchate

« Reply #364 on: January 11, 2012, 07:43:37 AM »

I have a little daughter 1.5 years. In my opinion regarding spanking issue the answer Yes. Every step of disobedience must be remarked or spanked, but we have to do it consciously and justly without anger and hate.
I have noticed the more we forbid something for children then the more they want to do that. The best way to overcome it is to concentrate their mind on right actions. All know, that child is a mirror of parents, so we have to start upbringing from oneself.
marymar7
Banned

Faith: orthodox

« Reply #365 on: January 29, 2012, 09:14:10 AM »

I have a son who is almost 3 years old. He has a very strong personality. Also he is very stubborn.

I don't agree with spanking... I must admit that a few times I have lost my temper, and after that I felt very guilty about it, but I strongly believe that I spanked him because I couldn't control my temper. I think that the best method is to explain him even for a million times that he's not acting ok and also 'why'.

Sometimes, even if he is spanked, or corrected, or ignored, he acts the same. It's really hard to manage him, but I'm trying a lot not to harm him.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #366 on: January 30, 2012, 01:18:40 PM »

I have a son who is almost 3 years old. He has a very strong personality. Also he is very stubborn.

I don't agree with spanking... I must admit that a few times I have lost my temper, and after that I felt very guilty about it, but I strongly believe that I spanked him because I couldn't control my temper. I think that the best method is to explain him even for a million times that he's not acting ok and also 'why'.

Sometimes, even if he is spanked, or corrected, or ignored, he acts the same. It's really hard to manage him, but I'm trying a lot not to harm him.
Losing your temper and spanking is never right. For me, I do (or did) spank. He's 14 and 6'3" now so....Smiley

However, I made sure I was not angered and waited up to an hour. Then plainly explained what was going on, what was done and the punishment. Doing it in anger is not correction.

I would pray beforehand.
PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
Seafra

Mr.Dougherty
« Reply #367 on: January 30, 2012, 02:34:28 PM »

Losing your temper and spanking is never right. For me, I do (or did) spank. He's 14 and 6'3" now so....Smiley

However, I made sure I was not angered and waited up to an hour. Then plainly explained what was going on, what was done and the punishment. Doing it in anger is not correction.

I would pray beforehand.
PP
i would also add that aside from communication discipline needs to be followed by love.
marymar7
Banned

Faith: orthodox

« Reply #368 on: January 30, 2012, 02:57:55 PM »

Yes, indeed. Children need to be corrected with love and patience.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #369 on: January 30, 2012, 03:13:40 PM »

Sounds like som' 'o y'all need a paddlin'!  Cheesy

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #370 on: January 30, 2012, 10:22:31 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Ou rLord an dSavior Jesus Christ!

In certain situations, spanking is entirely appropriate, maybe even necessary.  But it should always be applied with caution, as a last resort and NEVER purely out anger.  We should never lose our tempers with children, and since we are not perfect and surely we inevitably WILL lose our tempers, we definitely shouldn't use physical force in such a state of mind..

Some really good parenting advice I heard at a teaching seminar was this:

When disciplining children, always ask yourself the most important question, "WHY AM I DOING THIS EXACTLY?" If you are telling kids not to do something and there is no real reason for it aside from essentially a power trip, perhaps that is not really appropriate or effective? Sometimes kids "misbehavior" is just expressing themselves in ways we either don't understand, are not really paying attention to, or really may have no good or realistic reason to prohibit the behavior other than some control.  Sometimes we need to just let kids be kids, and get over ourselves.  Other times, we have to lay down the law, but BOTH should always be out of pure love, rarely anger. Kids are more perceptive to fear than dogs and anger is just another manifestation of a fear of lack of control.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
stpaulphilip

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #371 on: February 03, 2012, 05:23:49 PM »

I voted Absolutely Not!

I would never lay a hand on my son or any child for I would be investigated by CPS and carted off to jail for a very long time.  Teach a child how to negotiate and he/she will go far in life and make friends.  Teach a child violence and he/she will reciprocate with all kinds of violence against oneself and others.

I really don't know how some of you can justify spanking children.  I've never seen Supernanny lay a hand on any child.   Roll Eyes

King Solomon from the Word of God disagrees with you:  "Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die. Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell."  Proverbs 23:13-14.  

Isaiah 5:20 "Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!"
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #372 on: February 03, 2012, 05:52:03 PM »

I voted Absolutely Not!

I would never lay a hand on my son or any child for I would be investigated by CPS and carted off to jail for a very long time.  Teach a child how to negotiate and he/she will go far in life and make friends.  Teach a child violence and he/she will reciprocate with all kinds of violence against oneself and others.

I really don't know how some of you can justify spanking children.  I've never seen Supernanny lay a hand on any child.   Roll Eyes

King Solomon from the Word of God disagrees with you:  "Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die. Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell."  Proverbs 23:13-14.  

I wonder if King Solomon spared the rod from his own son...

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #373 on: February 04, 2012, 12:22:52 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I voted Absolutely Not!

A) What about "Fathers, do not embitter your children, or they will become discouraged." (Colossians 3:21) and "And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord." (Ephesians 6:4)
B) What is rod is to be interpreted symbolically for authority as it is in other instances in the Old Testament?

C) Do we also stone witches and adulterers like the Taliban, because the Old Testament explicitly commands these anachronisms as well Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Seafra

Mr.Dougherty
« Reply #374 on: February 04, 2012, 12:26:40 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I voted Absolutely Not!

I would never lay a hand on my son or any child for I would be investigated by CPS and carted off to jail for a very long time.  Teach a child how to negotiate and he/she will go far in life and make friends.  Teach a child violence and he/she will reciprocate with all kinds of violence against oneself and others.

I really don't know how some of you can justify spanking children.  I've never seen Supernanny lay a hand on any child.   Roll Eyes

King Solomon from the Word of God disagrees with you:  "Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die. Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell."  Proverbs 23:13-14.  

A) What about "Fathers, do not embitter your children, or they will become discouraged." (Colossians 3:21) and "And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord." (Ephesians 6:4)
B) What is rod is to be interpreted symbolically for authority as it is in other instances in the Old Testament?

C) Do we also stone witches and adulterers like the Taliban, because the Old Testament explicitly commands these anachronisms as well Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
those verses do not contradict... you can discipline and do it in a manner of love through open communication and dialogue with the child...

I will also add a more extreme verse Proverbs 20:30
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 12:27:26 AM by Seafra » Logged
stpaulphilip

Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #375 on: February 04, 2012, 01:05:39 AM »

I voted Absolutely Not!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Do you have children?  I do.  I have four.  I also come from a family of 10 children.  Spanking works, and is necessary.  One doesn't have to be angry or abusive; they just have to carry out punishment that isn't pleasant.  Children have to learn the lesson that it sucks to disobey.  That is a biblical principle.  Burning witches is not a biblical principle and is illegal.  There is no symbolism in what Solomon said.  If you don't know what embittering ones children is, I don't have time to explain it here.  Maybe Hallie Selassie will answer your objections to spanking, or tell you what embittering children is, but Jesus Christ has already given the answer.  Chastening is never pleasant, so says the word of God. 

Paul
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 01:09:44 AM by stpaulphilip » Logged

Isaiah 5:20 "Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!"
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #376 on: February 04, 2012, 03:06:42 AM »

Greetings in that divine and most precious name of our lord and savior jesus christ!

King Solomon from the Word of God disagrees with you:  "Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die. Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell."  Proverbs 23:13-14.  

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Do you have children?  I do.  I have four.  I also come from a family of 10 children.  Spanking works, and is necessary.  One doesn't have to be angry or abusive; they just have to carry out punishment that isn't pleasant.  Children have to learn the lesson that it sucks to disobey.  That is a biblical principle.  Burning witches is not a biblical principle and is illegal.  There is no symbolism in what Solomon said.  If you don't know what embittering ones children is, I don't have time to explain it here.  Maybe Hallie Selassie will answer your objections to spanking, or tell you what embittering children is, but Jesus Christ has already given the answer.  Chastening is never pleasant, so says the word of God.  

Paul

ahem:
Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Ou rLord an dSavior Jesus Christ!

In certain situations, spanking is entirely appropriate, maybe even necessary.  But it should always be applied with caution, as a last resort and NEVER purely out anger.  We should never lose our tempers with children, and since we are not perfect and surely we inevitably WILL lose our tempers, we definitely shouldn't use physical force in such a state of mind..

Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 03:07:13 AM by HabteSelassie » Logged

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #377 on: February 04, 2012, 05:04:32 PM »

I voted Absolutely Not!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Do you have children?  I do.  I have four.  I also come from a family of 10 children.  Spanking works, and is necessary.  One doesn't have to be angry or abusive; they just have to carry out punishment that isn't pleasant.  Children have to learn the lesson that it sucks to disobey.  That is a biblical principle.  Burning witches is not a biblical principle and is illegal.  There is no symbolism in what Solomon said.  If you don't know what embittering ones children is, I don't have time to explain it here.  Maybe Hallie Selassie will answer your objections to spanking, or tell you what embittering children is, but Jesus Christ has already given the answer.  Chastening is never pleasant, so says the word of God. 

Paul

Actually the killing of witches is in fact a Biblical principal, as is killing any children who curse their parents.  Go read the laws of Moses.

Anyways, spanking is not "necessary" at least not all the time.  I am sorry for your children if you think it should be a standard practice.  Spanking has been shown to be rather ineffective.  In fact, speaking from my own life, when my mother did use to spank me somewhat frequently, I did not reform.  I did not stop acting bad.  It had no effect on me except in the very short term.  That is how spanking works: it affects children in the short term, without changing any long term behaviors.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #378 on: February 04, 2012, 05:09:26 PM »

I don't want to judge, because I have no kids and I don't know what it's like. I do remember being a kid. I got spanked sometimes. Didn't like it one bit.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #379 on: February 04, 2012, 10:31:51 PM »

..because the Old Testament explicitly commands these anachronisms as well Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Actually the killing of witches is in fact a Biblical principal, as is killing any children who curse their parents.  Go read the laws of Moses.

Whoa there slow it down there..

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 10:32:25 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #380 on: February 04, 2012, 11:23:16 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Actually the killing of witches is in fact a Biblical principal, as is killing any children who curse their parents.  Go read the laws of Moses.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Well yes, but don't you know that we aren't to interpret the Old in light of the New?  After all, verses from the New Testament about not embittering your children against you clearly have nothing to do with an Old Testament injunction to beat your children.

Seafra

Mr.Dougherty
« Reply #381 on: February 04, 2012, 11:25:54 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Well yes, but don't you know that we aren't to interpret the Old in light of the New?  After all, verses from the New Testament about not embittering your children against you clearly have nothing to do with an Old Testament injunction to beat your children.
as i said before you can discipline without embittering... they work hand in hand... setting up the proper way for disciplinary actions...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 11:27:28 PM by Seafra » Logged
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #382 on: February 04, 2012, 11:33:52 PM »

I think it is extremely difficult to physically "discipline" someone without embittering them.

Seafra

Mr.Dougherty
« Reply #383 on: February 04, 2012, 11:43:49 PM »

I think it is extremely difficult to physically "discipline" someone without embittering them.
no not at all.. you treat them as a person and explain what is happening and why.. not just assume it and start spanking... the child then realises the reasons and understands what is happening. you then follow up the spanking with another talk explaining your love for them and then hug them more so than your disciplinary act you must show love...
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #384 on: February 04, 2012, 11:44:47 PM »

no not at all.. you treat them as a person and explain what is happening and why.. not just assume it and start spanking... the child then realises the reasons and understands what is happening. you then follow up the spanking with another talk explaining your love for them and then hug them more so than your disciplinary act you must show love...

If they are capable of understanding why their parent is hitting them, then I do not understand why you shouldn't be able to find a non-corporal means of punishment?

Seafra

Mr.Dougherty
« Reply #385 on: February 04, 2012, 11:49:08 PM »

If they are capable of understanding why their parent is hitting them, then I do not understand why you shouldn't be able to find a non-corporal means of punishment?
because disobedience has a punishment... we are capable of understanding why people go to hell but it does not mean God will change the punishment... Spanking is there to A show the child that disobedience hurts them... and B show disobedience hurts their parents...
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #386 on: February 05, 2012, 12:04:21 AM »

I would like to give my son a good beating because he smokes cigarettes, but he's 22 and a black black now so I dont think I can take him anymore. Maybe I can sneak up while he is asleep and use a baseball bat.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #387 on: February 05, 2012, 12:12:47 AM »

I wonder if King Solomon spared the rod from his own son...

Solomon should've had definitely spared some, like thousands, his rod more, perhaps then he might've have had time to consider what do with his kids (~23^34).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 12:13:02 AM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
tweety234
High Elder

Faith: Ask the Answer
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #388 on: December 07, 2012, 11:41:03 PM »

absolutely to that.

“God has no religion.”
― Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #389 on: December 07, 2012, 11:44:22 PM »

I voted Absolutely Not!

I wonder why solomon didn't mind his own business about his own salvation, and started lecturing others how to discipline instead.

“God has no religion.”
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

Mzack. Uglyface creatures, unite!

« Reply #390 on: December 07, 2012, 11:48:21 PM »

Giving advice was sort of his bag...
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #391 on: December 07, 2012, 11:49:17 PM »

I am against. But I am not surprised to hear that many people do that cruel type of thing. This world is a mess. There is nothing we can do to change it. But there is a lot we can do to change ourselves.

Lord have mercy on the children. It isn't fair that they take the punishment we deserve.

“God has no religion.”
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #392 on: December 07, 2012, 11:50:33 PM »

didn't he have anything else to do in his life. Besides sticking his nose into people's lives, and ruining the lives of children. Because of Men like him this world is still violent.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 11:51:35 PM by tweety234 » Logged

“God has no religion.”
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #393 on: December 07, 2012, 11:54:04 PM »

I would like to give my son a good beating because he smokes cigarettes, but he's 22 and a black black now so I dont think I can take him anymore. Maybe I can sneak up while he is asleep and use a baseball bat.

Repent. For the kingdom of Heaven is at hand.

“God has no religion.”
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #394 on: December 07, 2012, 11:55:46 PM »

because disobedience has a punishment... we are capable of understanding why people go to hell but it does not mean God will change the punishment... Spanking is there to A show the child that disobedience hurts them... and B show disobedience hurts their parents...

change your avatar. You are ruining this innocent persons reputation.

“God has no religion.”
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #395 on: December 07, 2012, 11:58:08 PM »

Proverbs speaks of the rod quite frequently. From a Biblical perspective one must spank their children.

Proverbs 13:24 King James Version He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

yeah. Solomon. Nothing else to do, except tell people how to raise their kids.

“God has no religion.”
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

Mzack. Uglyface creatures, unite!

« Reply #396 on: December 08, 2012, 12:02:09 AM »

Ancient Israel was a pretty gangsta place...
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #397 on: December 08, 2012, 12:10:29 AM »

Only suitable for minors?:

Schoolchildrens' "spanking" related injuries (WARNING - These images may be deeply disturbing to some viewers. Do not open this page if children are present).
http://www.nospank.net/injuredkids.pdf

Reasonable and moderate? You decide.
(WARNING - This sound recording may be deeply disturbing to some listeners. Do not open this file if children are within listening range).
http://nospank.net/prj-006.wav

Recommended by professionals:

Plain Talk About Spanking
by Jordan Riak
http://www.nospank.net/pt2010.pdf

The Sexual Dangers of Spanking Children
by Tom Johnson
http://nospank.net/sdsc2.pdf

NO VITAL ORGANS THERE, So They Say
by Lesli Taylor MD and Adah Maurer PhD
http://nospank.net/taylor.htm

Most current research:

Spanking Kids Increases Risk of Sexual Problems
http://www.unh.edu/news/cj_nr/2008/feb/lw28spanking.cfm

Use of Spanking for 3-Year-Old Children and Associated Intimate Partner Aggression or Violence
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/126/3/415

Spanking Can Make Children More Aggressive Later
http://tulane.edu/news/releases/pr_03122010.cfm

Spanking Children Can Lower IQ
http://www.unh.edu/news/cj_nr/2009/sept/lw25straus.cfm

Just a handful of those helping to raise awareness of why child "spanking" isn't a good idea:

American Academy of Pediatrics,
American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry,
American Psychological Association,
Center For Effective Discipline,
Churches' Network For Non-Violence,
United Methodist Church
Nobel Peace Prize recipient Archbishop Desmond Tutu,
Parenting In Jesus' Footsteps,
Global Initiative To End All Corporal Punishment of Children,
United Nations Committee on the Rights of the Child.

In 31 nations, child corporal punishment is prohibited by law (with more in process). In fact, the US was the only UN member that did not ratify the Convention on the Rights of the Child. The US also has the highest incarceration rate in the world.

The US states with the highest crime rates and the poorest academic performance are also the ones with the highest rates of child corporal punishment.

There is simply no evidence to suggest that child bottom-battering instills virtue.

a whole lot of science here. I didn't know christians believed in science.

“God has no religion.”
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #398 on: December 08, 2012, 12:12:22 AM »

Kids. You only have to beat them once.

I've told some "Parents" that at Church.

They laugh

They think I'm kidding

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #399 on: December 08, 2012, 12:15:06 AM »

Why beat him when using Byzantine intrigue is so much more effective and satisfying? Of course, it helps to have a bidable and devious eunuch and those are in short supply.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #400 on: December 08, 2012, 12:16:47 AM »

didn't he have anything else to do in his life. Besides sticking his nose into people's lives, and ruining the lives of children. Because of Men like him this world is still violent.

Judge, condemn thyself.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #401 on: December 08, 2012, 12:17:31 AM »

Repent. For the kingdom of Heaven is at hand.

Yes, why don't you do that?

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #402 on: December 08, 2012, 12:18:19 AM »

Looking black today, kettle.

SolEX01
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #403 on: December 08, 2012, 01:22:52 AM »

Christ is present in the Old Testament.  Read it and if you don't know something; post a question in the Faith Issues board.  Be a productive member of this forum and not a thread resurrecter.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #404 on: December 08, 2012, 02:57:48 AM »

I am against. But I am not surprised to hear that many people do that cruel type of thing. This world is a mess. There is nothing we can do to change it. But there is a lot we can do to change ourselves.

Lord have mercy on the children. It isn't fair that they take the punishment we deserve.

What is more cruel?  Spanking a child when it is needed to correct a wrong action, to teach them right from wrong, to let them know there are boundaries and a price for violating those boundaries so they grow into well-adjusted adults who understand rules and laws or not spanking the child, teaching them nothing and leaving them to their own, limited, immature, inexperienced choices, hoping for the best when they grow up?

Spanking is not cruel, unless it is excessive.  I never knew what my father mean when he said, "This hurts me more than it does you" until I had my own children.  Ultimately, it is each parents choice, but condemning a parent who does properly spank their kids is ridiculous at best, foolish at worst.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: