OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 07:07:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bible for a 10 year old?  (Read 664 times) Average Rating: 0
Stepan

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« on: October 13, 2014, 12:36:18 AM »

My Son recently asked for a "big kid" Bible, explaining he wanted more than stories. Any suggestions on this? I bought him a RSV 2nd catholic edition NT/Psalms but he had just enough difficulty with parts of text that he decided he didn't like it.  I've considered the Good News Translation or the Contemporary English Version (both simplified, dynamic equivalent translations).

Thoughts?
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 12:42:03 AM »

I know nothing about the CEV, but the Good News version is not to be recommended for anyone.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Do not be afraid, Zechariah..."

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 01:04:44 AM »

Thoughts?

When I was that age, I asked for a "normal" Bible and my parents bought me a large print KJV.  I suppose that's even "worse" than the RSV in terms of difficulty, but what got me to enjoy it was a) hearing it read on the radio (the one thing Harold Camping did right) and b) reading stuff in which the KJV was quoted (so that I could find the reference and read it myself). 

It's been a long time since I was ten, so I'm not sure if it works like that for everyone, but that's what worked for me: I had to be able to engage it in more ways than just a straight reading in order for me to become more familiar with it and even to enjoy it.   

The Good News Translation is really the Bad News Paraphrase.  Just say no. 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
Stepan

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 12:24:58 PM »

Thanks for the response. I suspected these were not all that great and you've confirmed as much.
St. Christopher

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 03:39:29 PM »

The CEV is probably the most liberal readily available translation in English. I'm not sure I'd recommend the GNB but definitely avoid the CEV.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 03:54:51 PM »

Sigh.

People are weirdly territorial about Bible translations, some of which are quite good, a few of which are problematic and most of which are serviceable. But very few are actually worth the reverence they are given.

Since we are talking about a child who is interested in gaining a more general familiarity with the scriptures and who has already expressed some difficulty in comprehending the RSV, buy a copy of the NIV or New American Bible. They aren't beautiful, but they're OK for someone who can't take on heavier reading.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 06:32:30 PM »

Why not the Orthodox Study Bible?

If he is having difficulty with the reading level of some passages, rather than settling on one translation that is at his current reading level, why not get a parallel Bible with a standard translation and a side-by-side translation that is easier? It might be a great vocabulary builder.
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 11:38:12 AM »

yes, orthodox study Bible has pictures too.
 Smiley

i got a 'grown up' Bible at 11, so if it's too hard for him, he can go back to the kids' Bible when he gets tired with it.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: