OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 07:48:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lenten Service Book  (Read 1756 times) Average Rating: 0
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« on: February 14, 2009, 02:06:18 AM »

Hello!

Can anyone reccomend a good service book that includes the Lenten services? (Compline, Pre-Sanctified Liturgy, Vespers, etc.) I'm looking for the "pew edition" and one that goes along with GOA style services. (Must be in English. I cannot read/speak Greek.)

They didn't have anything at the Church bookstore, and I didn't see anything on the Orthodox Marketplace or on Holy Cross' website.  Undecided

Thanks!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 08:57:11 AM »

Hello!

Can anyone reccomend a good service book that includes the Lenten services? (Compline, Pre-Sanctified Liturgy, Vespers, etc.) I'm looking for the "pew edition" and one that goes along with GOA style services. (Must be in English. I cannot read/speak Greek.)

They didn't have anything at the Church bookstore, and I didn't see anything on the Orthodox Marketplace or on Holy Cross' website.  Undecided

Thanks!

The usual book I've seen is "The Lenten Triodion" by Kallistos Ware.
http://www.amazon.com/Lenten-Triodion-Mother-Maria/dp/1878997513/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234616001&sr=1-1

I came across some commentaries too:
http://www.amazon.com/Synaxarion-Lenten-Triodion-Pentecostarion-Orthodox/dp/0964347830/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234616001&sr=1-2
http://www.amazon.com/Lenten-Covenant-Devotional-Commentary-Triodion/dp/B000AY74MS/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234616001&sr=1-6

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 09:09:58 AM »

Hello!

Thanks!

Unfortunately you'll be hard-pressed to find all the books in a centralized location; heck, you'll be hard-pressed to find all the books in one volume.
The major Lenten (pre-Holy Week) services are: 3rd Saturday of Souls, Great Compline, Presanctified Liturgy, and Salutations/Akathist.  Each one has its own book.  PM me, and I'll give you a few locations to call and find them...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 09:10:18 AM by cleveland » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 09:10:42 AM »

The Lenten Triodion is useful, but by no means exhaustive or complete. It assumes a certain knowledge of the structure of a lenten service, which can be complex. It is also geared towards Slavic usage, though there is some commentary on Greek liturgical variations.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 02:17:31 PM »

This is all very upsetting. So I'm just supposed to sit in the pew and not be able to follow along? My parish still uses a fair amount of Greek in the Liturgy, and for services outside of the Liturgy they use even MORE Greek.

I hate to put it in these terms, but if I can't understand what is going on, what meaning is the service supposed to hold for me? I mean, am I supposed to just bring my chotki and say the Jesus Prayer the entire time?  Cry

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 04:23:12 PM »

I can well understand your frustration, handmaiden. I am lucky in my parish that there is a person who compiles bilingual service books for the congregation of liturgy, vigils for feasts, and some of the lenten and Holy Week services. Believe me, it's a huge job.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 03:16:02 PM »

This is all very upsetting. So I'm just supposed to sit in the pew and not be able to follow along? My parish still uses a fair amount of Greek in the Liturgy, and for services outside of the Liturgy they use even MORE Greek.

I hate to put it in these terms, but if I can't understand what is going on, what meaning is the service supposed to hold for me? I mean, am I supposed to just bring my chotki and say the Jesus Prayer the entire time?  Cry

What gives you the impression that you can't follow along?  There are books - you asked, though, if there's A BOOK, and that answer is no.  Check your PM inbox.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 03:16:12 PM by cleveland » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 03:29:07 PM »

What gives you the impression that you can't follow along?  There are books - you asked, though, if there's A BOOK, and that answer is no.  Check your PM inbox.

I'm sorry if I was unclear. I was having difficulty locating a book or books with the services. I got your PM. Thanks again for your help!

monkvasyl
High Elder

Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 02:26:47 PM »

tRY THIS LINK:  http://www.orthodoxmarketplace.com/worship-and-liturgy-c-445.html

Holy Week - Easter Service Book, by Fr. George Papadeas
This is the first complete HOLY WEEK-EASTER Book ever published. Original Greek text with the modern English Translation on the opposite page. All paragraphs are in similar places for both Languages, making it easy to follow, no matter in which language the Services are held. The text is printed in black, while the directions are in red ink. Very readable and easy to follow. There is no guesswork.

Comments over the years have been favorable. To quote the Official Newsletter of the Retired Greek Orthodox Clergy of America: "This book has saved Holy Week for our Orthodox Churches in America."

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Tags: prayer prayer book Lent 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: