OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 07:09:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Council of Florence  (Read 5618 times) Average Rating: 0
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2011, 01:57:40 AM »

You all act like just because people sign a treaty/etc.. that it actually matters.. sheesh, history is wrought with broken political agreements/religious agreements.  The truth is, florence happened and the RC still aren't in communion with the Eastern Orthodox.  So what if the patriarch did/didn't sign it or everyone else signed it, it doesn't matter, it didn't happen (the outcome of the so called council) anyway.

The significant question is whether the compromise happened to such an extent that Apostolic continuity was interrupted in the EOC and thus proven that it was not the Church of Christ in the first place.
22 bishops out of hundreds?  Sorry, no proof of discontinuity there.

You seem to have assumed that it was a leading question, but given this post, I think it should be clear it was not:

Get your history straight. ALL the bishops signed Florence save ONE.

All the bishops of your entire communion, or just all the bishops present at Florence (about 20, IIRC?)?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2011, 10:00:01 AM »

You all act like just because people sign a treaty/etc.. that it actually matters.. sheesh, history is wrought with broken political agreements/religious agreements.  The truth is, florence happened and the RC still aren't in communion with the Eastern Orthodox.  So what if the patriarch did/didn't sign it or everyone else signed it, it doesn't matter, it didn't happen (the outcome of the so called council) anyway.

The significant question is whether the compromise happened to such an extent that Apostolic continuity was interrupted in the EOC and thus proven that it was not the Church of Christ in the first place.

Of course not. Not all the bishops of the Orthodox Church capitulated, only some that went to Florence, and most of these recanted and returned to Orthodoxy. No interruption. Also, the other patriarchates anathematized the false council.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2011, 07:52:23 PM »

That is what I suspected. Portraying Mark of Ephesus as if the lone star of Orthodoxy in the Church would seem to be rather misleading then.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2011, 08:06:39 PM »

That is what I suspected. Portraying Mark of Ephesus as if the lone star of Orthodoxy in the Church would seem to be rather misleading then.
Maybe more like Daniel in the lions' den.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2011, 08:24:01 PM »

Two bishops died.

Two bishops ran away.

17 bishops signed.

1 did not sign - Mark of Ephesus.
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2011, 09:02:52 PM »

Two bishops died.

Two bishops ran away.

17 bishops signed.

Hate to say it, but that almost sounds like lyrics to a song...
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2011, 09:17:36 PM »

Two bishops died.

Two bishops ran away.

17 bishops signed.

Hate to say it, but that almost sounds like lyrics to a song...

....Ten green bottles hanging on the wall.....
.......Ten green bottles hanging on the wall.....
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2011, 10:19:04 PM »

Two bishops died.

Two bishops ran away.

17 bishops signed.

But the point is that it's misleading if one only reports on the bishops who were present at the council because it makes it sound like Mark of Ephesus was the only one in the EOC who did not accept the definition of faith of Florence.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: