OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 09:55:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hey Hey. Holy Cow  (Read 9370 times) Average Rating: 0
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2003, 08:55:28 PM »

Darn my little language trick didn't fool you.  The funny thing about parish council budget meetings.... my parishes was scheduled for there's right after I had converted.  My priest specifically told me to never go to one!  They sound like a lot of fun.  The stories I've heard.....
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2003, 09:27:26 PM »

That is ridiculous to not have a visiting priest come!!!

We had no services at my church last week since our regular priest was out of town and the visiting priest got sick.  I normally come an hour before Orthros to fill the candles with oil and cut prosphora...but I didn't intend on coming early last week to drive Father to the ER!  Thankfully it didn't seem too serious and he should be ok.

I agree it is a good thing that I don't go to those meetings.
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2003, 10:49:53 PM »

That blaspheming heretic Bernie Mac changed the words to the seventh inning stretch hymn, and then the Marlans won 8 straight runs in one inning.  If Bernie Mac is reading this forum, this cubs fan says ANATHAMA, ANATHAMA, ANATHAMA.

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
Jenny

« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2003, 06:38:32 AM »

Even though I'm a Marlins fan and I was happy about the win last night, I have to say I really felt bad for the Cubs and their fans.  I know all those people were heartbroken.  

Jenny

Dan Lauffer
Athanasios

« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2003, 09:08:42 AM »

At least we know the most civilized city in the nation...

CHICAGO

No one killed that fan

Dan Lauffer

PS I guess it's obvious.  I don't know how to operate the UBBC tags. Sad Angry

It's OK, I do. John
« Last Edit: October 15, 2003, 09:31:34 AM by prodromos » Logged
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2003, 10:32:51 AM »

No one killed that fan

Not yet. Had secrurity not been there and had he not changed clothes and waited several hours after the game ended to leave the park, he would be dead today.

I pray that he has a good set of freinds and family to support him and he is able to move to Miami because that is the only place he will be able to live in peace.

Joseph
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2003, 10:54:09 AM »

I felt sorry for that fan.  I knew when he reached out for that ball that fans were gunna see it as the turning point in the game.  I'm glad they sent security to him.  What one of us would not do the same in a NLCS game?

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2003, 11:53:58 AM »

I felt sorry for that fan.  I knew when he reached out for that ball that fans were gunna see it as the turning point in the game.  I'm glad they sent security to him.  What one of us would not do the same in a NLCS game?

Joe Zollars

Exactly, Joe.  The poor kid paid good money and had that seat for a reason: hopefully to catch a ball!  I don't know why fans have to turn into a mob!  Thank Heaven that security acted quickly!

Hypo
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2003, 12:25:45 PM »

This is precisely why baseball is an evil amusement, and those who support it are minions of the Devil.

j/k  

GO YANKEES!!!  Tongue Tongue

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2003, 12:44:38 PM »

:cwm45:

Well... on the bright side I suppose if the Yankees beat the Redsox & play the Marlins, I won't feel as bad cheering for the non-underdog as I would if they end up playing the Cubs, though I do hold on to the quickly fading hope that the SOX somehow break thru.

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2003, 01:46:40 PM »

That looks like the logo for the Poison Control center up here...

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2003, 04:19:03 PM »

folks it aint' over yet.  Were gunna woop them marlans tonight.  

Does anyone know if today is one of those wendsdays we can have fish?  I gotta hankerin for deepfat fried Marlan! Wink

Joe Zollars

Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2003, 07:11:19 PM »

folks it aint' over yet.  Were gunna woop them marlans tonight.  

Does anyone know if today is one of those wendsdays we can have fish?  I gotta hankerin for deepfat fried Marlan! Wink

Joe Zollars

Joe, ROCORites and ROACites never eat fish on Wednesdays, even if permitted, just 'cuz!   Wink  Get a lobster or some steamers!
Dan Lauffer
Athanasios

« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2003, 07:29:31 PM »

Thanks, John!

"It's OK, I do. John"

Dan L

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2003, 10:55:03 PM »

Joe, your cubbies are doing a great job beating the Marlins Tongue

GO DIAMONDBACKS!!!
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2003, 12:10:04 AM »

now where did I put that black armband.

Joe Zollars

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2003, 12:13:27 AM »

hehe

Joe Zollars

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2003, 12:14:19 AM »

anyways, now its time to root for the sox!  and if they don't win, so long as the yankees beet tar out of those marlans. That's right, I want REVENGE. Wink

Joe Zollars

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2003, 10:13:44 AM »

GO YANKEES!!!

On a more serious note, about the Wednesday/Friday fasts, I don't know if the remark about the liturgical day beginning at sundown was made in jest or not, but that's actually what I do: Tuesday evening to Wednesday evening, and Thursday evening to Friday evening.  Does anyone else do that?  Speaking personally, it's the only way I can practice these fasts without being a hassle to my mother, who I often visit on Friday nights, and who makes food mostly for meat-lovers, and whose position on fasting is "God doesn't need for you to starve yourself...here, eat this".  :-";"xx

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2003, 10:32:04 AM »

As to the fasting thing...  The only time we did that was when we would drive down to NYC on Fridays for the weekend, and following tradition going to Chef 93 (very good Chinese resteraunt on 93rd & Lexington), and in order to get some of their excellent meat dishes my dad would say, "Well, they've already served Vespers, so we need an order of Mushu, Hunan, & Seseme chicken, Sweet & Sour Pork, steamed dumplings, fried dumplings, 8 eggrolls, 3 bowls of cold seseme noodles, etc etc.  BTW, I eat fish on Wednesdays & Fridays, & I'm ROCOR, so :-P.  
Anyway, back to baseball... SOX WON!!!  Yeay, unfortunately I wasn't able to watch the game, but I listened to it on the way to IKEA (finally have furniture, yeay).  
Don't worry Joe, my teams (either the Yankees or the Sox, hopefully the Sox), will blow the Marlins to smitherines.  Defensively the Marlins stink, & their only forte is hitting balls into the outfield, where both the Yankees & the Sox have excellent players to catch them.  
Anyway, enough... time to work.
Ania

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2003, 12:14:16 PM »

I wonder what the practice of the church has been historically with fasting?  From sunset to sunset or midnight to midnight?

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2003, 11:39:21 PM »

It's a shame the Cubbies ended up losing.  They are afterall from the homestate of one of the greatest American Presidents.
ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2003, 10:00:59 AM »

Well, I forgot to wear all black today, in mourning for the fallen Sox.  Oh well, now we cheer for the Yankees to bring down the Marlins in 4 games.

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2003, 11:56:00 AM »

I'm wearin black for ya ania.

Nektarios:  you mean Reagan right? He is after all the only president born in Illinois.

What the cubs did after the last game was absolutely perfect.  They sang Ole Lang Sine.  

Oh and God Bless the fan who threw Pudge's homerun ball back on the field.  For those who don't follow baseball, that is a symbolic gesuture saying it is worthless.

Joe Zollars

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2003, 12:11:07 PM »

yeah, I wonder if those Marlans sold their souls to the devil.  I mean what other explanation is there.  Everyone knows God is a cubs fan right?

JK

Joe Zollars

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2003, 12:20:11 PM »

GO YANKEES!!!

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2003, 01:04:35 PM »

Mor, you don't even like baseball... :-P

Twenty Nine

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2003, 01:06:20 PM »

Bitterly weeping...

:'(

Down with the Yankees!

I heard a rumor that Joe Torre is a Nestorian. Can anyone confirm?

Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2003, 01:24:07 PM »

Dear Ania,

While it is true that I don't like baseball (much the opposite, to tell you the truth), I love New York, and so I must say GO YANKEES!!!  Besides, I go to church in the Bronx...long live the BX!!  

Dear 29,

Joe Torre is a Nestorian??  You're kidding, right?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2003, 01:24:42 PM by Mor Ephrem » Logged

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2003, 01:52:13 PM »

If he is protestant I guess you could say that....since most protestants would NEVER call the Panagia the Theotokos.....some won't even go so far as calling her the Christotokos.  So in a sense the Nestorian heresy lives on.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2003, 02:26:20 PM »

Well yeah, maybe, but Joe Torre doesn't look like an Assyrian to me.  And if he was Catholic and decided to convert to Nestorianism, I'd be very shocked.  Surely, this is a crack aimed at anathematising Torre for some reason--any reason--right?

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2003, 02:40:47 PM »

If he is protestant I guess you could say that....since most protestants would NEVER call the Panagia the Theotokos.....some won't even go so far as calling her the Christotokos.  So in a sense the Nestorian heresy lives on.  

Most protestants don't have an infatuation with Greek theological jargon either-- most protestants would say "what on earth are you talking about?"

Anyway, to get back on topic-- as a Marylander I am of course bound to root for whoever is playing the Yankees. But to be reduced to rooting for the Marlins  Sad - it's almost as bad as having to explain Gene Robinson.  Tongue
Twenty Nine

« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2003, 02:44:46 PM »

I guess Torre is not a Nestorian. It was a rumor circulating around resulting from an incident in one of the ALCS games.

In the Yankees' locker room, Torre found an Old Believer prayer book in Jeter's locker. Apparently, Torre was quite upset about this. He brought the issue up with Jeter later on. Jeter thought Torre was upset because Jeter is a member of ROAC. Jeter mentioned this to him and Torre said he didn't have a problem with ROAC per se. The media heard about the disagreement and then deemed Torre a Nestorian for some reason. Nobody knows what Torre was really upset about.

Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2003, 03:09:47 PM »

It's not a matter of Greek theological jargon.  It's a very simple yet incredibly profound question....Is Mary the Mother of God?  Or is she simply the Mother of Christ?  Or simply the Mother of Jesus?
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2003, 03:20:51 PM »

Jetter is a member of ROAC?

Joe Zollars

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2003, 03:26:29 PM »

I guess Torre is not a Nestorian. It was a rumor circulating around resulting from an incident in one of the ALCS games.

In the Yankees' locker room, Torre found an Old Believer prayer book in Jeter's locker. Apparently, Torre was quite upset about this. He brought the issue up with Jeter later on. Jeter thought Torre was upset because Jeter is a member of ROAC. Jeter mentioned this to him and Torre said he didn't have a problem with ROAC per se. The media heard about the disagreement and then deemed Torre a Nestorian for some reason. Nobody knows what Torre was really upset about.

This is too outrageous for belief.  It sounds like a joke!  No offence, but please allow me to play the part of our heavenly patron, and doubt all of this until I see proof?  Smiley

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2003, 03:33:27 PM »

I'm with Phil on this one.  What would a ROAC person be doing with an Old Believer prayerbook?  I'm fairly sure ROAC does not accept Old believers because the schism was over Praxis and not Faith.  (although I can't say much cause I'd love to purchase one just as a curiosity)

Joe Zollars

Keble
Archon

« Reply #82 on: October 17, 2003, 03:37:53 PM »

It's not a matter of Greek theological jargon.  It's a very simple yet incredibly profound question....Is Mary the Mother of God?  Or is she simply the Mother of Christ?  Or simply the Mother of Jesus?

It's a simple question that you then have to translate out of the Greek and after that, explain what you mean by "Mother of God", and after all that probably half of them don't care one way or the other until you put them theologically on the spot and they give you an off-the-cuff answer and then you can say "Ha! A Nestorian!"

Why does everything have to be turned into a Deep Controversy? Roll Eyes
Twenty Nine

« Reply #83 on: October 17, 2003, 03:51:13 PM »

Jetter is a member of ROAC?

Sorry, my bad...he is a member or HOCNA.

It sounds like a joke!

It is.

I'm with Phil on this one.  What would a ROAC person be doing with an Old Believer prayerbook?  I'm fairly sure ROAC does not accept Old believers because the schism was over Praxis and not Faith.  (although I can't say much cause I'd love to purchase one just as a curiosity)

Ha!  Grin

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #84 on: October 17, 2003, 03:57:18 PM »

umm, HOCNA?  well I shall leave that one alone, but there are some good articles at roacamerica.org about it.

BTW, how did you come by the knowledge that Jeter is HOCNA?  and how can you hear him chanting psalm 50?   are we in the e-presence of one of them thar yankees? Huh

Joe Zollars

ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2003, 04:16:52 PM »

Everyone is WRONG!!!  The whole Yankee team, including Stienbrener, are members of the Vitaliban... I mean ROCiE.

Twenty Nine

« Reply #86 on: October 17, 2003, 04:30:26 PM »

Everyone is WRONG!!!  The whole Yankee team, including Stienbrener, are members of the Vitaliban... I mean ROCiE.

Are you sure, Ania? I saw an ESPN special on sports figures who are ROCiE and there were no Yankees. There were a couple of New York Knicks, but that's basketball.

Greg

Keble
Archon

« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2003, 04:53:46 PM »

Well they must be some sort of heretics; after all, they're "D*mned Yankees".

They must be Gnostics. Or Satanists. Or something.
ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2003, 04:54:28 PM »

Some of the Knicks are ROCiE, but the Yankees were very much connected to Vitaly & his crew.  When he went, they followed... It was covered extensively on NBC Nightly News w/ Tom Brokaw.  Not that it was a great loss to ROCOR, they still have the Mets & the Giants, (I think the Jets are divided amoung ROCOR, ROCiE, the Serbs, & the MP).  Of course, the Red Sox & the New England Patriots are equally devided between GOC & ROCOR.  :-D
Anyway, everyone have a good weekend... Yankees & Marlins I think start playing Sunday night.
Ania

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2003, 05:09:01 PM »

huh?Huh?

Keble is right.  they have to have some connection with heresy.  Perhaps they are new calanadrists......

Jeo Zollars

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: