OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 09:46:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old Calendar Beliefs Question  (Read 776 times) Average Rating: 0
Mark of Ephesus
Defender of Orthodoxy

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR/MP

« on: February 11, 2009, 04:42:27 PM »

Being that I am a convert, I have been trying to understand what the differences between Old Calendar Churches, and mainstream Orthodoxy.  I attend a ROCOR Church, and we are on the Julian Calendar, but are there doctrinal differences as well?

It seems that if it was just an issue of the calendar, that things could be resolved quickly.

Thanks!

Mark

Suddenly the Judge shall come, and the deeds of each shall be revealed, but with fear we cry out in the middle of the night, Holy, Holy, Holy art thou o God, Thru the prayers of the Theotokos have mercy on us and save us!
orthodoxlurker
Supporter & Defender of Fr Ambrose (Irish Hermit) - banned
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian - NOT a phanariote
Jurisdiction: Serbian Patriarchate under siege

al-Saabir yaraa al-Hurriyah

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 04:55:32 PM »

Being that I am a convert, I have been trying to understand what the differences between Old Calendar Churches, and mainstream Orthodoxy.  I attend a ROCOR Church, and we are on the Julian Calendar, but are there doctrinal differences as well?

It seems that if it was just an issue of the calendar, that things could be resolved quickly.

Thanks!

Mark

The main difference is that various groups of so-called "Greek Old Calendarists" claim that Holy Spirit abandoned "Wolrd Orthodoxy" for their abandonement of Church Calendar, in spite all of their bishops actually followed New Calendar for at least a decade, while Jerusalem, MP (now including ROCOR) and Serbia, that never abandoned Church Calendar don't claim Holy Spirite abandoned those Churches that adhered to New Calendar.

Consequently, "Greek Old Calendarists", that meanwhile formed various groups (at least three main groups, who BTW, are not in communion with each other) hold us synagogues of heretics for we either follow New Calendar (all Churches but three/four referred above), or we (the three/four referred above) are in communion with such Churches, in spite all of them did the same for at least a decade.

I'm not too optimistic about the prospects.

Curse the Pope, for he is the root and cause of these disasters! - St. Nektarios of Aegina

You don't get to circumvent your post moderation by calling out the moderators in your signature. ~Veniamin, Global Moderator
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 05:06:40 PM »

What orthodoxlurker states above is not an accurate reflection of the Old Calendarist position or history. However, given our recent exchanges, I am not in any mood to continue such debates under a new topic, so I will refrain at this time from responding in detail.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 05:07:00 PM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Mark of Ephesus
Defender of Orthodoxy

Jurisdiction: ROCOR/MP

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 05:10:20 PM »

What orthodoxlurker states above is not an accurate reflection of the Old Calendarist position or history. However, given our recent exchanges, I am not in any mood to continue such debates under a new topic, so I will refrain at this time from responding in detail.

Father:

Could you please PM me regarding this?

Thanks!

Suddenly the Judge shall come, and the deeds of each shall be revealed, but with fear we cry out in the middle of the night, Holy, Holy, Holy art thou o God, Thru the prayers of the Theotokos have mercy on us and save us!
Tags: Old Calendarists 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: