OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 06:45:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did the ancient Israelites "Hebrewize" (or "Christianize") pagan peoples?  (Read 1335 times) Average Rating: 0
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: February 11, 2009, 10:26:48 AM »

The other day in a religions class I'm taking, we watched a video where John Romer went through Israel looking for the ancient Israelites. The whole point of the movie was that in his opinion, the Israelites don't appear archaelogically until King David. Before then it was simply Canaanite peoples.

One place he went to was a "Canaanite" village, with a temple set up almost just like Soloman's Temple in Jerusalem.

In another video I've seen, he tries to prove that Christianity borrowed the use of "images" from Pagans, and that before they became a recognized faith, there weren't very much use of images. Even though we know the use of images was a Jewish practice, and the Early Christians simply "Christianized" the pagan images.

Is it fair to claim that the Israelites weren't just an offshoot of the pagan Canaanite religions, and that instead they chose to "Christianize" the pagan practices?
I'm specifically speaking of the Canaanite idea of the god "El" as well as the way they built their temples. Is it fair/accurate to argue that the Israelites already had one God, and simply "Christianized" the local pagan religions after they had moved in?

-Also, this isn't something that I'm suggesting to be completely true or accurate, it's just an idea.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 11:05:55 AM »

The other day in a religions class I'm taking, we watched a video where John Romer went through Israel looking for the ancient Israelites. The whole point of the movie was that in his opinion, the Israelites don't appear archaelogically until King David. Before then it was simply Canaanite peoples.

One place he went to was a "Canaanite" village, with a temple set up almost just like Soloman's Temple in Jerusalem.

Big deal.  The Bible clearly states that Solomon relied on the skill and expertise of Hiram the Phonecian king's men to build the Temple.  Even the Masons know that.

In another video I've seen, he tries to prove that Christianity borrowed the use of "images" from Pagans, and that before they became a recognized faith, there weren't very much use of images. Even though we know the use of images was a Jewish practice, and the Early Christians simply "Christianized" the pagan images.

Case in point: Dura Europas in Syria.  The Church, which predates Christianity's "recognition" has images all over it, as does the ancient synagogue down the street.

Is it fair to claim that the Israelites weren't just an offshoot of the pagan Canaanite religions, and that instead they chose to "Christianize" the pagan practices?
I'm specifically speaking of the Canaanite idea of the god "El" as well as the way they built their temples. Is it fair/accurate to argue that the Israelites already had one God, and simply "Christianized" the local pagan religions after they had moved in?

-Also, this isn't something that I'm suggesting to be completely true or accurate, it's just an idea.

Israel didn't have a Temple, it had a Tabernacle.  And it stands to reason that the "language of Canaan" i.e. Hebrew would have vocabulary in common with the non-Israelite Canaanites.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 02:09:43 PM »

Thanks for your reply! Also, sorry for putting it in the wrong section, wasn't sure where to put it since the Church is Israel. (or am I wrong in that statement? forgive me if i am)

antiderivative
Elder

Faith: Northeastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: A jurisdiction

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 06:00:17 PM »

Yes, Dura Europas is definitely an example of early use of images, beside the Old Testament verses that describe tabernacle images.

Here's what Dura Europas looks like:

I have yet to see a Christian catacomb without images. How can anyone tell a catacomb is Christian without images?

signature
Tags: icons 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: