OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 12:51:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Desktop Wallpaper  (Read 7200 times) Average Rating: 0
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« on: October 04, 2003, 12:29:44 AM »

Anyone have any good quality Desktop Wallpaper that is Orthodox in nature? I have used Icons and tiled them but I prefer more profesional looking wallpaper.

If anyone has a the abilty to put wallpapers together it might be cool to have a bunch on here so we could all share.

Joseph
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2003, 02:06:37 AM »

Here's a few I made last week.  Smiley

Wallpaper One: (Theotokos and Christ)

800x600

1024x768

1152x864

Wallpaper Two: (Holy Trinity)

800x600

1024x768

1152x864

Wallpaper Three: (St. Seraphim of Sarov)

800x600

1024x768

1152x864

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2003, 08:48:59 AM »

Holy Trinity --

This is confusing to me. I had always read that the argument used by those who support icons was that since Christ was incarnate of Mary, that it is okay to portray him and therefore is not an idol image. But that since God or the Holy Spirit never were incarnate , that they were not supposed to be represented in any icons in a human form.

David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2003, 10:13:06 AM »

Tom,

I have never really questioned this icon before as it is depicts a biblical event (the Hospitality of Abraham), but I did a quick search and found this interesting article on the subject.  

I look forward to hearing others' opinions.  Also I plan on taking out the byzantine double eagles from the wallpaper I just need to find time to redo it.

-Yazid Ibrahim
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2003, 10:56:04 AM »

Finally! Something I posted that puts me in AGREEMENT with Orthodoxy!!!
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2003, 12:52:13 PM »

My current wallpaper is a tiled photograph of Elder Joseph but...

I had the iconistasis at Christ the Saviour in Moscow

A photograph of Elder Ephraim

A picture of the wilderness on the Holy Mountain

Iconography from all over the Holy Mountain.  

There are some simply amazing pictures to choose from from the Decani monastery in Kosovo as well.
Karamazov
Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2003, 02:23:02 PM »

How about Orthodox screen saver?  check out http://www.ukrainian-orthodoxy.org/index.asp

ps. what does the "now listening to" field refer to?
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2003, 02:41:03 PM »

In that the name of Dr. Alex Roman is associated with the website for which you supplied the link above, boilerguy, the site might more accurately be called what it really is, "Ukrainian Greek Catholic," i.e., under the Pope of Rome, and not really and truly Eastern Orthodox.  Dr. Roman may be a much-respected Ukrainian Catholic, but he *is* Eastern Rite Catholic, *NOT* Orthodox, despite all his disclaimers to the contrary.  I am not sure what Fr. Ihor is as he does not supply his jurisdicitional affiliation. The site is a mixed bag not always clearly distinguishing Orthodoxy from the Unia, IMHO, but the icons are good.

Hypo-Ortho
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2003, 04:26:22 PM »

Finally! Something I posted that puts me in AGREEMENT with Orthodoxy!!!

Not only that, but it is something on which BOTH you and I agree...now THAT'S truly amazing Tongue

Aristocles

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2003, 06:11:14 PM »

Not only that, but it is something on which BOTH you and I agree...now THAT'S truly amazing Tongue

Really? What part of the Nicene Creed and Canons of the church do you not agree with?  Wink
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2003, 07:28:01 PM »

ps. what does the "now listening to" field refer to?

It's just a small bulletin board feature where you can list what music(lectures, books on tape, etc) you're listening to.  Especially helpful if you think what you're listening to is of good quality and deserves to be more widely known.

-Yazid Ibrahim
the_quest

OrthodoxChristianity.net

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2003, 09:27:35 PM »

Although we do not use Icons in our church I have always found them of interest.  I came across this web site a while back, which has many at this address:     http://www.ocf.org/OrthodoxPage/icons/icons.html

pax

Si hoc legere scis, nimium eruditionis habes.
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2003, 11:20:00 PM »

Although we do not use Icons in our church I have always found them of interest.  I came across this web site a while back, which has many at this address:     http://www.ocf.org/OrthodoxPage/icons/icons.html

pax

These really are good icons.  I especially liked the variety available of St. Seraphim, the Wonderworker of Sarov, who has always been one of my favorite Saints.  

However, I don't know why all of these icons are in "gif" format that take up so much space.  I'll have to convert them to "jpg's" on my 'puter later.

Hypo
Karamazov
Elder

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2003, 09:35:40 PM »

In that the name of Dr. Alex Roman is associated with the website for which you supplied the link above, boilerguy, the site might more accurately be called what it really is, "Ukrainian Greek Catholic," i.e., under the Pope of Rome, and not really and truly Eastern Orthodox.  Dr. Roman may be a much-respected Ukrainian Catholic, but he *is* Eastern Rite Catholic, *NOT* Orthodox, despite all his disclaimers to the contrary.  I am not sure what Fr. Ihor is as he does not supply his jurisdicitional affiliation. The site is a mixed bag not always clearly distinguishing Orthodoxy from the Unia, IMHO, but the icons are good.

Hypo-Ortho

Dear Hypo-Ortho

I am very interested (and incredulous?) to hear that Dr. Alex Roman is Greek Catholic, and not Orthodox. Embarrassed  Curious about your source...
Could you elaborate on how you were informed of this?

Fr. Ihor is Orthodox.  He is well known to my parish priest.  I believe his jurisdictional affiliation is not supplied on his website at the request of the jurisdiction.  I may be wrong on this point though.

boilerguy

Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2003, 07:44:08 PM »

Hypo-Ortho

Dear Hypo-Ortho

I am very interested (and incredulous?) to hear that Dr. Alex Roman is Greek Catholic, and not Orthodox. Embarrassed  Curious about your source...
Could you elaborate on how you were informed of this?

Fr. Ihor is Orthodox.  He is well known to my parish priest.  I believe his jurisdictional affiliation is not supplied on his website at the request of the jurisdiction.  I may be wrong on this point though.

boilerguy

Dear boilerguy,

I have sent you a private message concerning documentation of Dr. Alex Roman's Ukrainian Greek Catholic affiliation rather than posting it here.  Some of our longer-term members here are quite familiar with Dr. Roman and can verify that he is *not* Eastern Orthodox (though he likes to present himself as "Orthodox in communion with Rome" at times  Roll Eyes), but is a staunch member of the UGCC.

Hypo-Ortho
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2003, 01:32:48 PM »

Holy Trinity --

This is confusing to me. I had always read that the argument used by those who support icons was that since Christ was incarnate of Mary, that it is okay to portray him and therefore is not an idol image. But that since God or the Holy Spirit never were incarnate , that they were not supposed to be represented in any icons in a human form.

Hey look!!! I'm quoting myself. Therefore, we shall use the royal "we"!

We were reading the book "The Law of God" (Holy Trinity Monastery) which was recommended to us by Fr. Dionysi and we came across a description of this icon. It says that this icon is NOT a representation of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, but the THREE ANGELS representing the Trinity that appeared to Abraham.

So, never mind.  Grin

« Last Edit: October 30, 2003, 01:39:43 PM by TomS » Logged
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2003, 03:56:38 PM »

We were reading the book "The Law of God" (Holy Trinity Monastery) which was recommended to us by Fr. Dionysi and we came across a description of this icon. It says that this icon is NOT a representation of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, but the THREE ANGELS representing the Trinity that appeared to Abraham.

Hair-splitting.

Nice dodge, er, save.

The wonderful, 'uncanonical' Trinity icon with old-man God the Father and dove Holy Ghost is in more than one Russian church.

Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2003, 07:36:03 PM »

I've seen it in many Greek churches too, Serge, including a larger-than-life representation of the "Old Man, Young Man, Dove" combo on the wall before one enters the major narthex of the local St. George Greek Orthodox Cathedral of Western Massachusetts, Springfield, MA, to exit the cathedral.

I've also seen the Masonic-inspired "All-Seeing Eye" in a window or ikonostas in more than one Russian and Greek Orthodox church!

Hypo-Ortho
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2003, 10:03:05 PM »

I've also seen the Masonic-inspired "All-Seeing Eye" in a window or ikonostas in more than one Russian and Greek Orthodox church!

Which came first, the use of the All Seeing Eye in churches, or the Masonic use of them?

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2003, 10:20:50 PM »

Which came first, the use of the All Seeing Eye in churches, or the Masonic use of them?  

AFAIK, Mor, this is a Masonic symbol first and foremost.  I'd guess that when Masons were employed to install icons, stained-glass windows, etc., in Orthodox churches, the Orthodox (or non-Orthodox) Masons (I know, I know!  Orthodox are not supposed to be Masons!) took this opportunity to install their Masonic symbol of "The All-Seeing Eye" at the same time.  I've even seen it above the Royal Doors in one OCA church in Connecticut.

If I'm wrong, Keble will correct me.

I don't see this being done in the newer Orthodox churches, btw.

Hypo-Ortho
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2009, 12:44:08 PM »

Eight pictures:
http://www.orthphoto.net/photo.php?id=42537&id_jezyk=1
http://www.orthphoto.net/photo.php?id=42552&id_jezyk=1
http://www.orthphoto.net/photo.php?id=38220&id_jezyk=1
http://www.orthphoto.net/photo.php?id=8856&id_jezyk=1
http://www.orthphoto.net/photo.php?id=9341&id_jezyk=1
http://www.orthphoto.net/photo.php?id=23846&id_jezyk=1
http://www.orthphoto.net/photo.php?id=8244&id_jezyk=1
http://www.orthphoto.net/photo.php?id=23880&id_jezyk=1
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 12:48:00 PM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2009, 12:59:33 PM »

^ You do realize all those imagines are copyrighted and cannot be used, don't you?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2009, 01:03:46 PM »

What forbids you to email an author and ask him/her for permission?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2009, 01:10:33 PM »

What forbids you to email an author and ask him/her for permission?

Nothing. Have you done so?

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2009, 01:17:07 PM »

I didn't need to. I've got a standart Windows wallpaper which is hardly visible under the dozens of icons I've got on my desktop Wink
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 01:17:53 PM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: