OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 04:57:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Take back the...  (Read 6014 times) Average Rating: 0
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« on: December 29, 2003, 07:22:54 PM »

because this would possibly be off topic in any other thread (like that stops me other times!)....If the U.S.A is taken back, Peter, who would save England the next time it needs to be saved  Tongue Grin Tongue
« Last Edit: December 29, 2003, 07:23:20 PM by +Â¥+¦+¦-ä+¼-ü+¦++-é » Logged
the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2003, 07:27:34 PM »

You cheeky little brat !!

500 prostrations for that - if it weren't for the UK [ now think about this] you Yanks would not be there !

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin  Tongue Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2003, 07:30:24 PM »

Well we sure are used to holding the fort until you lot turn up late again and again when it's nearly all sorted out anyhow.

PT

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2003, 07:36:18 PM »

Vicki

Please may I borrow your Bastooni ?

I think I have need of it Grin Grin Grin Tongue Grin Grin Grin

[edit]  I have just realised that Nektarios posted this and ran away Hmmmmmmmm [/edit]
« Last Edit: December 29, 2003, 07:49:31 PM by the slave » Logged

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
Vicki

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2003, 08:24:43 PM »

because this would possibly be off topic in any other thread (like that stops me other times!)....If the U.S.A is taken back, Peter, who would save England the next time it needs to be saved  Tongue Grin Tongue

NEKTARIOS!!!! To Anhelyna's 500 metanyes I add another 500, not for pointing out that we did, in fact, save Great Britain, when she VALIANTLY HELD OUT AGAINST ALL ATTACKERS in WWII...do some reading, brat as to the level of privation and sacrifice that took, please...I see we are again addressing the lamentable state of US History again: Please read Never Again, and see what it took Great Britain to pull herself together after that war...rationing well into the 50s for example...and once you have learned your History lesson....(the metanyes for failing your WWII History will be overlooked in the zeal of the misplaced patriotism that promted it) ....

MIND HOW YOU ADDRESS CLERGY!!! SINCE WHEN DO YOU ADDRESS CLERGY, UNTITLED, BY THEIR FIRST NAMES?!?!?!

DROPI SOU!!! SHAME ON YOU!

Evlogite.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2003, 08:44:14 PM by Vicki » Logged

"Him whom the heavenly hosts glorify and before Whom Cherubim and Seraphim tremble, let every breath and all creation praise, bless and exalt throughout all ages."
carpo-rusyn
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2003, 08:46:27 PM »

Who wants to take back America?  Britain?  I don't think so! Aside from the fact that they don't have a legitimate royal house.  The Pope granted all this land to Spain.  So I say  "Viva Juan Carlos!!!"

[Well we sure are used to holding the fort until you lot turn up late again and again when it's nearly all sorted out anyhow.]

Someone mentioned a lack of knowledge of US history now what about a lack of knowledge of English history.  "When it's nearly all sorted out"!!!???  You guys were nowhere near sorting out Hitler in the 39-45 war.  As far as the Great War well I think that without the infusion of American manpower you'd all still be looking across "No Man's land".

Carpo-Rusyn

Vicki

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2003, 08:48:12 PM »

If Great Britain would like California by way of reparation for Nektarios's outrageous remarks, I would gladly hand it over, providing you take all the nutters people residing therein to become subjects of Great Britain as well. Except those with the great good sense to be Orthodox, they can have the choice of staying here in the USA.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2003, 08:48:59 PM by Vicki » Logged

"Him whom the heavenly hosts glorify and before Whom Cherubim and Seraphim tremble, let every breath and all creation praise, bless and exalt throughout all ages."
Vicki

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2003, 08:54:44 PM »

Who wants to take back America?  Britain?  I don't think so! Aside from the fact that they don't have a legitimate royal house.  The Pope granted all this land to Spain.  So I say  "Viva Juan Carlos!!!"

Carpo-Rusyn

PLEASE: Take Florida! Just don't think you can teach 'em to vote!  Grin  Oh...Spain's gotta take the mosquitos, the four foot tall little old ladies who wear fur coats in Miami, and drive Buicks....erratically, at 35 mph on Florida highways...and paint their poodle's toenails with gold nail polish. Part of the deal. They cannot go back to their native New Jersey.  Grin

carpo-rusyn
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2003, 08:59:33 PM »

Speaking on behalf of H.M. Juan Carlos by the grace of God king of Spain and America I accept your offer of Florida.

We shall not give up California to those cursed English and instead launch a second Armada!! Grin

Carpo-Rusyn
honorary plenipotentiary of Spain to OC.net.
Vicki

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2003, 09:00:48 PM »

Just remember what happened to the first one!

Vicki

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2003, 09:02:05 PM »

And when King Juan Carlos finds out he's got the Q-tips in Buicks, YOU'RE history! LOL

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2003, 09:04:28 PM »

I have just realised that Nektarios posted this and ran away Hmmmmmmmm

I fell asleep, sorry!  I was tired  Cool

MIND HOW YOU ADDRESS CLERGY!!! SINCE WHEN DO YOU ADDRESS CLERGY, UNTITLED, BY THEIR FIRST NAMES?!?!?!

I greatrly apologize if this caused any offense.  The common (actually the only practice I've seen in my LIMITED experience) practice at my parish is for Sub-Deacons and Readers to simply be called by thier first names and not with a title.   Please forgive my ignorance and disrespect.

and once you have learned your History lesson

Considering I have family from Poland, whose devastation far surpassed Britain's I know a little bit about post- WWII reconstruction.  Except Poland was left with a Soviet occupation and not American loans...

Vicki

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2003, 09:16:28 PM »

You seem to have forgotten that Britain likewise suffered, and in adressing British people, who lived through it, or whose parents did...that was a faux pas....or bad history.

Pethi, Reader, in the few and far between when the GOA has them, unless they are suffering from pomposity, or you sare speaking liturgically (in Communion lines, commemorations, etc.)  or formally can be addressed by their first names.  In the GOA we create Sub-Deacons for about 40 minutes, though...and typically, you wouldn't be adressing them during the Liturgy while they are doing their prayers. Other jurisdictions, though, that DO create Sub-Deacons of longer duration, pethi, please, in writing, address them properly. PARTICULARLY when there is an age gap. Wink Conversationally among peers you have known since before you were ordained?  Tricky....up to the clergy in question.  When in doubt, be respectful.

The Caffeinator
Elder

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2003, 09:32:12 PM »

C.R., would you ask his majesty to give me Texas and Oklahoma? The world loves a rogue-state. Wink
Vicki

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2003, 09:42:59 PM »

Ahem....What have you done to deserve them?

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2003, 06:23:22 AM »

As a subdeacon and not ordained but rather set apart by prayer for service I only expect to be called Peter or Peter Theodore. Or perhaps Subdeacon Peter at a push. I do expect respect for the fact that I am British and English. We gave you our language and look what you've done to it!!!!!

PT

TomS
Banned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2003, 10:30:44 AM »

... I only expect to be called Peter...

Of course Peter. Especially on a Internet site when all come to participate as equals. Unfortunately, some feel it is their place to "correct" others.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2003, 10:42:19 AM »

Not to throw more fuel on the fire here but....

A Subdeacon, who shall remain nameless, from the Antiochian Archdiocese served with Archbishop Spyridon while he was visiting the local Greek parish.  A couple of weeks after, he received a letter in the mail with an autograph photo of the Archbishop and referred to the Subdeacon as Reverend.  Several people had a good laugh over the use of Reverend towards a Subdeacon because the minor order are just that minor. Also since there is a joke out there that this particular subdeacon is the Archsubdeacon, because he has been around so long and a Bishop made a joke about it, it was pointed out that they should have used Very Reverend.

Just thought I would add a little humor to this who nonsense about titles.

Joseph
Vicki

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2003, 10:45:32 AM »

That is extreme! However, even on internet fora, clergy are clergy.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2003, 10:46:31 AM by Vicki » Logged

Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2003, 11:19:30 AM »

Well, I remember an incident on the "Ohio" list about a year ago when a certain bishop maintained he should not be subject to moderation by reason of his clerical position.
Vicki

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2003, 11:31:30 AM »

Yes, well, that is the "Ohio" forum. I meant, clergy are entitled to be addressed by their proper titles.  If they act like morons, they get moderated like anyone else. If Sub-Deacon Peter PREFERS to be informally addressed, by all means, we will refer to him as Peter...BUT...mark you...he had not expressed same when the admonishment to Nektarios was made. The point stands: Even on internet fora, clergy are clergy, and do not lose their titles because of the media through which they communicate.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2003, 12:47:04 PM by Vicki » Logged

ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2003, 11:46:38 AM »

As long as we're giving away states here, would anyone mind me taking over New England?

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
The young fogey
Warned
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2003, 11:51:05 AM »

As long as we're giving away states here, would anyone mind me taking over New England?

A beautiful place with lovely, famously reserved people - but adding a little Russian 'soul' wouldn't hurt. And you're already up there - you guys have got St Alexander Nevsky Church, started and peopled today by WWII Russian refugees, in Richmond, Maine, a part of the world one wouldn't expect such!

Vicki

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2003, 11:51:51 AM »

BESIDES the Mafia that controls parts of it already?

And the communists that have the rest?

As a dweller within, to whom would you like to give it to?

Vicki

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2003, 11:53:42 AM »

Ooops....missed that. IF you are not a communist or Mafia, you may share it with me.

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2003, 01:10:11 PM »

I don't mind being called Subdeacon Peter Theodore, I'm just not sure that I should be called anything else.

Well ??

Sd PT
« Last Edit: December 30, 2003, 01:10:38 PM by peterfarrington » Logged

Vicki

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2003, 01:57:57 PM »

I don't mind being called Subdeacon Peter Theodore, I'm just not sure that I should be called anything else.

Well ??

Sd PT

Thank you, Sub-Deacon Peter.

the slave
High Elder

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2003, 03:35:27 PM »

I have to admit that I like a bit of formality where it is due.

I'm actually sorry that we [RCC]  no longer have the Minor Orders. I think People who have worked and gained Minor Orders deserve our respect .

I was actually thinking recently about folk who were tonsured as Readers and Chanters [ sorry that's the worng way round] and certainly as far as I can see I take my hat off to the Chanters -- how they can learn the various Tones etc I just do not know.

I think that on the Internet , where we do not really know each other [ on the whole Wink] that titles should be used - after all if a Bishop has deemed someone fit to be  Chanter, Reader or Sub Deacon, who are we mere ordinary bodies to question his judgement.

Sub- deacon Peter - I apologise for my lack of recognition of your Office

Please forgive

- St. John Maximovitch
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2003, 03:41:45 PM »

Dear Angela

No apology is required, nor from anybody. I'm not sure that the responsibilities of a subdeacon = office. When I go places with my bishop it tends to mean that I carry all the baggage.

In fact a subdeacon is rather like Sam Gamgee.

PT

ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2003, 03:47:39 PM »

BESIDES the Mafia that controls parts of it already?

And the communists that have the rest?

As a dweller within, to whom would you like to give it to?

Me Vicki, New England goes to me!  Besides, I got an in with the mafia already...  one of my uncle's ex-wives was the daughter of some mafia bigshot in Baaahst'n.  So they'll be my gestapo... after I get them converted to Orthos of course ;-)  
New England is the sight of my family's ancestral abode, it's also gorgeous, and in-need of some Orthodox influence.  I think I'd run a nice totalitarian state for a while, get all them heathens & heretics into the baptismal waters.  :-D  
Besides, I love some nice chowda' & lobsta', and all that other good stuff.

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2003, 04:32:03 PM »

y'all can parcel out the rest of the country as you please, but PA is mine.  Except Phillidelphia. Who ever gets Jersey can have philly.

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Vicki

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2003, 04:35:00 PM »

y'all can parcel out the rest of the country as you please, but PA is mine.  Except Phillidelphia. Who ever gets Jersey can have philly.

Nope...Orthodox monasteries in PA remain ours.

gregory2
Elder

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2003, 07:21:16 PM »

On a more serious note, I've read that the USA is definitely the place to be, not Europe.  Europe's time is so passe.  The birthrates are negative, there's no religious faith left, people have such a bleak outlook on the world, there's new waves of anti-Semitism springing up all over.  Pretty soon, France will be a Muslim nation, and few French people seem to care.

The UK isn't much different.  Possibly since it's separated from the continent these changes will take longer to have effect there, but it's happening.

"God Bless America" isn't just a song -- it's the truth!!!

"Anything that is worth accomplishing cannot be accomplished in a lifetime." - the Holy Fathers
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2003, 07:25:33 PM »

vicki: oh I'll allow them to be orthodox.  I have no problem with that.  I'll let the catholics stay catholic as well.  I'm all for the Freedom of Religion as the faounding fathers understood it.  Meaning I would allow for any Christian church, but not for pagans or occultists.

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Vicki

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2003, 07:30:29 PM »

oh my...THAT is very funny! You'll ALLOW an orthodox nun to remain Orthodox...OBVIOUSLY the man's never set FOOT in an Orthodox Convent to talk about ALLOWING the Gerondissa to do ANYTHING....ROTFLMAO...

Evlogite, Bro. Max....you DO amuse....

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2003, 12:08:21 AM »

Everyone knows the Russians won WWII.

Just ask my wife. She's a native of Volgograd (formerly Stalingrad, formerly Tsaritsyn).

Her dad (+1995) was in the Red Army during the Great Patriotic War.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Vicki

« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2003, 12:12:22 AM »

Everyone knows the Russians won WWII.

Just ask my wife. She's a native of Volgograd (formerly Stalingrad, formerly Tsaritsyn).

Her dad (+1995) was in the Red Army during the Great Patriotic War.

My LORD...WHAT he must have endured on THAT front.... Shocked

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2003, 05:16:24 AM »

I agree that Europe is in great need of prayer, but seriously I am not sure that the US has anything to offer. It has enough spiritual problems of its own.

Justinianus
Elder

« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2003, 09:14:42 AM »

I agree that Europe is in great need of prayer, but seriously I am not sure that the US has anything to offer. It has enough spiritual problems of its own.

Yes, the US has many serious spiritual problems.  We all need to pray for our societies.

"If we truly think of Christ as our source of holiness, we shall refrain from anything wicked or impure in thought or act and thus show ourselves to be worthy bearers of his name.  For the quality of holiness is shown not by what we say but by what w
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2003, 03:37:25 PM »

western society in general is rotting from within on BOTH sides of the Atlantic.  We're just more used to seeing spiritual rot looking across the big pond from America to Europe.  I mean France has been rotting longer than America has been a nation!!

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2003, 03:40:12 PM »

But the US sure looks rotten from here friend, indeed it seems to be the source of much of the rotten-ness that infects us over here. I don't mean that as a criticism of any particular US folk here. But as you say, we are rotting on both sides of the Atlantic and don't need to make a competition out of who is rotting quickest or slowest.

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2003, 03:47:15 PM »

But the US sure looks rotten from here friend, indeed it seems to be the source of much of the rotten-ness that infects us over here. I don't mean that as a criticism of any particular US folk here. But as you say, we are rotting on both sides of the Atlantic and don't need to make a competition out of who is rotting quickest or slowest.

Oh I'm not saying that America is not rotten, it's just a newer occurrence by comparison to the rot of Europe.  I mean lest just look at France, Belgium, Denmark, and the Netherlands.  These countries have been festering pustules for more than a century!  England by comparison suffers from Dryrot and America is being consumed by a flesh-eating virus!

Vicki

« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2003, 03:57:32 PM »

Barbarians at the Gate

chrevbel
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2009, 03:06:39 PM »

Okay, I realize this thread's long been dormant, but back to the OP, I couldn't help but add...

I once served (in the U.S. Army) with a gentleman from Scotland.  A colleague jokingly asked him "Hey Sergeant Major, do they celebrate July 4th in Britain?"  To which he replied "Yes, but by a different name.  We call it 'Thanksgiving'!"
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: