OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 06:30:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone Familiar with the Eastern Orthodox Foundation (Indiana, PA)??  (Read 1822 times) Average Rating: 0
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« on: November 03, 2003, 03:35:31 PM »

Anyone familiar with this organization?

http://www.eofoundation.org/

You are welcome to the Eastern Orthodox Foundation. In fact anyone who is in need of help is welcome at the Eastern Orthodox Foundation. Our doors are open to everyone, It doesn't matter who you are. Since 1966, EOF has been reaching out and providing help: over 10,000 people have received a warm bed, 3 meals per day, warm clothing and personal attention.

Our main goal for each person is to provide him/her with the best possible care and to help them return to the mainstream of society a healthier and more independent person than they were before. Please feel free to visit with us and to learn more about us on the web.

Our Mission
The Eastern Orthodox Foundation, (EOF), is a private, charitable non-profit organization. It's purpose is to follow the teachings of our lord when He said, "For I was an hungered, and ye give me meat; I was thirsty, and ye gave' me drink; I was a stranger, and ye 'took me in; naked and ye clothed me; I was sick and ye visited me; I was in prison and ye came unto me." Verily I say unto you, in as much as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me."  Matthew 25:35 - 39, 40
This we do in the following means:

A. To engage in charitable work for providing aid to the sick and aged, the disabled and handicapped;

B. To improve the condition in life of all persons who are disadvantaged, irrespective of race, color, creed or national origin;

C. The corporation shall not participate in political campaigns nor attempt to influence legislation by propaganda or otherwise. Upon dissolution of the corporation, all assets then possessed by it shall be distributed to charitable, educational, religious and health agencies.

To accomplish these goals, EOF offers a variety of services. Although we call our selves a transitional living center, the majority of our people come to us from off the streets and are in need of food, shelter and clothing and other services, designed to help them secure a more permanent living arrangement.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2003, 03:51:59 PM »

David,

Interesting site but I would check with the State or County, funny no other affilation to a Church or Hierarchy is listed.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2003, 05:22:01 PM »

I found this on the OCA site, sounds like a legit group that is doing lots of good work.

http://www.oca.org/pages/min_orgs/resource-handbook/community-service/eofoundation.html

Volume I, 1987 w By George Hnatko Jr.

Twenty years ago, a priest had a dream: to build a center to help the emotionally handicapped, the retarded, the alcoholic, parolees, and others to help themselves and to learn to function better in society and on their own. This was the beginning of the Eastern Orthodox Foundation (EOF).

Its founder. Father George Hnatko, a Ukrainian Orthodox priest, had in mind for some time a haven for people who needed a home, a place to make the transition from institutional living to traditional living. Today, in addition to providing transitional services, EOF is also licensed as a personal care facility.

The Eastern Orthodox Foundation is a private, non-profit organization chartered on July 10, 1966, under the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. It was voluntarily established by and continues to operate today with the help of Fr. Hnatko and a Board of Directors. Originally the Board consisted of five members of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church. Today, it is made up of 15 members from various Ukrainian Orthodox parishes in Western Pennsylvania, five priests and ten laymen.

Beginning with an old motel building, a $95,000 mortgage and $1,000 in cash, the EOF has grown to several buildings in a campus setting. There is an administration building, a two-story brick dormitory, a combination dining and recreation hall, a chapel, and a maintenance building. Located in Cherryhill Township along Route 422, ten miles east of Indiana, Pennsylvania, the grounds include 192 acres of pine and hardwood forest, a 20-acre lake, 15 smaller ponds, and about 30 acres of grassy fields.

PROGRAM FOR THE GUESTS

People who stay at the Foundation are referred to as guests. Presently there are 96 guests. An individual living program is developed for each. This program includes food, shelter, clothing, personal care, counseling, social activities, basic education, casework, budgeting, field trips, recreational activities, job and community placement. Orthodox church services are a regular part of the community life. Guests stay at the Foundation for as long as they need. Some stay for several months; others may stay for several years.

The atmosphere at the Foundation is one of love, concern for fellow man, with a sense of caring and belonging. It accepts all persons regardless of race, color, creed, age, or place of residence. Referrals are made by community agencies, state offices and institutions, clergy, private individuals, and by the guests themselves. During the past 20 years over 6,000 people have been at the Foundation - and many have made better lives for themselves.

The EOF staff includes 33 full and part-time employees, who administer a comprehensive array of services. The focus is upon the residents' need to develop self-confidence and to learn to do as much for themselves as possible.

EOF programs concentrate on the development of the skills of daily living. Vocational rehabilitation and occupational adjustment are an integral part of the milieu therapy, along with individual and group counseling, character guidance, personality adjustment, and socialization. Support, reassurance, and individual encouragement help to develop the "whole person" in each of the guests.

The professional staff includes an administrator, caseworker, business manager, teacher, food manager, counselor, spiritual advisor, and four nurses. A dentist, physician, and psychiatrist are available on a scheduled basis. Guests are also able to attend workshops and partial hospitalization programs in the community.

DONATIONS OF TIME, TALENTS AND MONIES MAKE EOF POSSIBLE

EOF is financed entirely by charitable contributions, supplemented by whatever the person who stays at the Foundation can pay for his or her own care. EOF gets no Federal or State grants, except those benefits received by individual guests. In addition the EOF must hold special fund raising projects such as festivals, dinners, cookbook sales and other activities just to balance the budget.

Various groups and many concerned private citizens cooperate with the Foundation, giving freely and generously of their time, skills, and knowledge. Without the help of such concerned people there might never have been an Eastern Orthodox Foundation.

Fr. Hnatko feels that there is still a long way to go in fulfilling the commitment to those in need. Plans for the future include the construction of a retirement community and a personal care and perhaps intermediate care facility for those who may later need more care as they become older.

Anyone wishing to visit the Eastern Orthodox Foundation may do so at any time. Individuals or groups desiring to help or to volunteer their services are invited to do so. Referrals to the Eastern Orthodox Foundation are made by calling or writing to:

Administrator Eastern Orthodox Foundation
Rt. 422 East - Penn Run
P.O. Box 432 Indiana, PA 15701
(412) 349-4821

http://www.eofoundation.org/

For Discussion:

1. One person has often been behind the realization of some large and successful undertakings. Can you give some examples? What are some of the qualities that such a person must have in order for his idea to succeed? What kind of support is also essential?

2. In order to maintain any large non-profit program or facility, volunteer help in all forms is essential and welcome, as is stated by the Administrators of the EOF. What are ways that local parishes and individuals ccould be of service?

George Hnatko, Jr. is the son of the founder, Fr. George Hnatko. He serves as the Administrator of the Eastern Orthodox Foundation.

Joseph
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2003, 06:09:39 PM »

Excellent work arimethea, it appears very legit.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2003, 07:40:14 PM »

EOF also appears to serve a real need in its location.  It should bring thought to some of us of what we can do for others in whatever location in which we find ourselves.  I know that it has started me to do some serious soul-searching (Fr. Michael is going to start avoiding me when I come up with these ideas).  Grin

Anyway, right now I need to try to find a contractor willing to give us a reasonable estimate for some much-needed and far-too-long-delayed repairs on our church building---bricks need pointwork, serious leak under concrete stairs in front of the church is causing damage and odors in our rest rooms in the parish hall downstairs, etc., etc.

Hypo
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2003, 08:30:51 PM »

My Gram used to live in Indiana and I did a year at IUP, everyone I ever talked to had nothing but good things to say about it.   It is an excellent institution.

In Christ,
Fr. Deacon Lance

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2003, 10:20:36 AM »

Good to hear.  I think I may go and visit there sometime in the next few months.  Thanks for the feedback!

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2003, 02:43:04 PM »

Yes, I am familiar with Fr. George Hnatko's very serious efforts at EOF. The foundation in Indiana, PA., is about an hour's drive from my home. They have recently opened another in the metro Pittsburgh area and have also just a couple of month's ago opened a retirement facility. Fr. George does wonderful work. On top of his duties at EOF he also pastors at St John the Baptist (UOCUSA) in Dixonville, PA  and another church (name escapes me) in Nanty Glo, PA.
Thanks for reminding me to round up some unused winter clothes here and take them over.
Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: