OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 07:53:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good Orthodox Movies?  (Read 14166 times) Average Rating: 0
StGeorge
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

St. George

« on: February 06, 2009, 10:09:55 PM »

Hello,

I'm looking for some good Orthodox movies.  I'm thinking of movies that are in English or have English subtitles. 

Documentaries and the such are also good. 

The priest who usually conducts our young adult Bible studies is going to be out for the next four weeks, and if we can't get another priest for every week, we may watch a movie. 
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 10:15:52 PM »

The Russian movie Ostrov is excellent; it is a story of a fool for Christ who lives in a monastery in repentance after committing a terrible sin but people flock to him since he is a miracle worker and a clairvoyant. I also love the short DVD Holy Cross Hermitage has brought out called From the Little Mountain which takes you through a year at the monastery; it is very beautiful. Also, the classic Russian film Andrei Rublev is also really wonderful.
Órëlaurëa
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the midwest

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 10:52:46 PM »

The first one that leaps to mind is Ostrov. . . it is indeed a must-own movie. Smiley I look forward to hearing what others recommend. Cheesy

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 03:09:02 AM »

Is "Ostrov" in English, or at least with subtitles?

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 03:34:13 AM »

Yes, it has English subtitles.
Jonathan
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 09:46:22 AM »

Most Coptic Saint movies are not very high quality, but this one is good:

http://www.orthodoxbookstore.org/lifeofthesilentmonk-dvd.aspx
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 09:52:31 AM »

What languages apart from English can you speak? There is one documentary about Polish monastery in Zwierki on the net but it's in Belarusian.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 10:06:48 AM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 10:31:45 AM »

Ooops, sorry. I haven't noticed that about the language.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 11:00:32 AM »

Most Coptic Saint movies are not very high quality, but this one is good:

http://www.orthodoxbookstore.org/lifeofthesilentmonk-dvd.aspx

Are most of those movies on that site subtitled?

Edit: Oh, nevermind this, I see that is says under the video.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 11:04:04 AM by Andrew21091 » Logged
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 12:35:20 PM »

What languages apart from English can you speak? There is one documentary about Polish monastery in Zwierki on the net but it's in Belarusian.

Could you please post the link where I could find this documentary?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 12:48:28 PM »

Here you are: part 1, part 2, part 3.

It's a part of 5-volumed series of films about main Polish monasteries. Sorry for the bad quality.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 12:49:28 PM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 03:24:35 PM »

I enjoyed those as well as searching around the related videos that came with them.  Thanks! 

So is Church Slavonic the main liturgical language in Poland or is some vernacular Polish / Ukrainian / Belorusian / Rusyn used? 
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 03:48:33 PM »

I enjoyed those as well as searching around the related videos that came with them.  Thanks! 

I'll pass compliments to my dad. He directed it Smiley

So is Church Slavonic the main liturgical language in Poland or is some vernacular Polish / Ukrainian / Belorusian / Rusyn used? 

Yes, Church Slavonic is the main liturgical language in Poland. Polish is used in a few (4 I think) parishes in bigger cities (Warsaw, Wrocław, Białystok) and in Services for some special occasions (national feasts, services for soldiers and similar). In some parishes (more-less 30% of total)  some Polish elements as litanies and readings are put.

I don't know what about southern part of the country inhabited by Ukrainians and Lemkos. I've read that there is something what is called 'Church Slavonic with Ukrainian accent' but I have no idea what it is and how does it sound like. There are not regular Services in Ukrainian - I'm sure.

There used to be one parish which had Liturgy in Belarusian but it stopped. On some occasions there are services in other languages as Greek. This year we also had Liturgy in Serbian because of St. Savva's Day. When there are some Ukrainians feasts Ukrainian is used.

Sermons are generally preached in Polish. Oddly, where I live (Podlachia), priests use Russian with Polish elements what is an awful mixture. Ukrainians and Lemkos, as they are more nationally oriented, have sermons in their own languages.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 03:54:25 PM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 06:17:07 PM »

Yes, Church Slavonic is the main liturgical language in Poland. Polish is used in a few (4 I think) parishes in bigger cities (Warsaw, Wrocław, Białystok) and in Services for some special occasions (national feasts, services for soldiers and similar). In some parishes (more-less 30% of total)  some Polish elements as litanies and readings are put.

I don't know what about southern part of the country inhabited by Ukrainians and Lemkos. I've read that there is something what is called 'Church Slavonic with Ukrainian accent' but I have no idea what it is and how does it sound like. There are not regular Services in Ukrainian - I'm sure.

There used to be one parish which had Liturgy in Belarusian but it stopped. On some occasions there are services in other languages as Greek. This year we also had Liturgy in Serbian because of St. Savva's Day. When there are some Ukrainians feasts Ukrainian is used.

Sermons are generally preached in Polish. Oddly, where I live (Podlachia), priests use Russian with Polish elements what is an awful mixture. Ukrainians and Lemkos, as they are more nationally oriented, have sermons in their own languages.

The Polish - Russian mixture seems odd to me.  Are there any actual native speakers of Russian around?  I could see it making sense if there were a lot of newly arrived migrants from Russia, but to use Russian in the heart of what has historically been Belarusian / Polish territory seems more a political statement than anything else. 

Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2009, 06:30:35 PM »

The first one that leaps to mind is Ostrov. . . it is indeed a must-own movie. Smiley I look forward to hearing what others recommend. Cheesy

I highly recommend this movie.  Even my father, a Lutheran Pastor, was touched by this movie.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
VirSpeluncaeOrthodoxae
Da Orthodox Caveman! aka "Cavey"

Jurisdiction: Antioch...for now

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2009, 07:47:43 PM »

There are Orthodox movies?

Medieval, backwards, rigid, narrow-minded Traditionalist, Western Rite lover and proud of it! Make my day.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2009, 12:39:13 AM »

I know of no Orthodox movies, but movies w/scene's from Orthodox Church services come to mind. 

"The Dear Hunter," has scenes from a wedding and funeral filmed at the historic St. Theodosios Russian Orthodox Cathedral (OCA) in Cleveland, Ohio.

There are at least two movies about Nicholas and Alexandra which include scenes of Orthodox Services.

Also, there's a beautiful made for TV movie from the Kojak series.  The story is about a young Greek girl who has been separated from her mother, from an airline flight from Greece to New York.  Theodosios Kojak is seen getting out of a car, picking up a newspaper on a news stand; it's the Greek language version of "The National Herald," "Ethnicos Kirix."  The very cute little girl speaks Greek through the episode to Kojak who devotes his time to finding her mother and eating in Greek restaurants.  There's also a Kojak episode where Kojak is seen leaving the precinct announcing, "I'll be at St. Basil's Church in the Bronx."  The story involves the wedding of his niece. 

And, of course, "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" shows short portions of the Baptism and Wedding Services, chanted in the Greek language, though the hymn chanted after the immersions is not "As many as have been Baptised..." 

There is another movie from the mid-'80s (+/-), about an East European Orthodox bishop, in America, with a Nazi past, (mirroring the story of Romanian Orthodox Archbishop Valerian (Trifa), of Blessed Memory.)

You may wish to view the web site of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, "www.goarch.org" for numerous instructional videos from "GoTelecom."
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 12:44:32 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2009, 12:53:47 AM »

'Church Slavonic with Ukrainian accent' but I have no idea what it is and how does it sound like.

The language is Slavonic, but the pronunciation is closer to Ukrainian than Russian. For instance, Tebye, Gospodi sounds more like Tibi, Hospodi.
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 10:26:04 AM »

I'm looking for some good Orthodox movies.

"Exorcist II: The Heretic" (1977). It explores the theme of the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church (monastic life in the mountains of Ethiopia) and of the Aerial Realm of Spirits (described by Fr Seraphim Rose in his book "The Soul After Death"). The scene of performing the Eucharist featured Abuna Yesehaq of the EOTC.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 10:26:59 AM by Michał » Logged
Mark of Ephesus
Defender of Orthodoxy

Jurisdiction: ROCOR/MP

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2009, 10:41:52 AM »

Hello,

I'm looking for some good Orthodox movies.  I'm thinking of movies that are in English or have English subtitles. 

Documentaries and the such are also good. 

The priest who usually conducts our young adult Bible studies is going to be out for the next four weeks, and if we can't get another priest for every week, we may watch a movie. 

The movie "Dr. Zhivago" (1965, I think) has a great scene from a Russian Orthodox Funeral.

Suddenly the Judge shall come, and the deeds of each shall be revealed, but with fear we cry out in the middle of the night, Holy, Holy, Holy art thou o God, Thru the prayers of the Theotokos have mercy on us and save us!
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2009, 01:11:22 AM »

I'm looking for some good Orthodox movies.

"Exorcist II: The Heretic" (1977). It explores the theme of the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church (monastic life in the mountains of Ethiopia) and of the Aerial Realm of Spirits (described by Fr Seraphim Rose in his book "The Soul After Death"). The scene of performing the Eucharist featured Abuna Yesehaq of the EOTC.

Wow. I have never seen this movie. Saw "The Exorcist," but not the second one. I'll see it soon. I hope they didn't misrepresent my EOTC!

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2009, 02:02:23 AM »

I hope they didn't misrepresent my EOTC!

I've never seen the movie either, but I'll go out on a limb here and guess that they did. 

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2009, 02:24:11 AM »

Yeah, you're probably right. Not a whole lot of theological accuracy or religious respect coming out of Hollywood. But, I am curious, since Archbishop Yesehaq is apparrently shown in the film. I don't think he would allow that if they didn't portray the EOTC accurately. Maybe they didn't have his permission? I hope my EOTC brothers might know more about this.

Selam

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2009, 03:05:52 AM »

Are you sure Archbishop Yesehaq was in the movie, or could it have been an actor dressed to look kind of like him?  He's not mentioned in the imdb page on the movie and I have trouble believing a bishop of the Ethiopian Church would consent to being in a B-movie horror flick.  Isn't this the movie in which Richard Burton dressed up like a locust?  I seem to recall hearing about it when it came out.

Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2009, 10:00:24 AM »

There is a scene of monks dancing in an ecstatic way during the Liturgy - I don't know if it is a custom of Ethiopian monastics. But generally speaking, the movie shows the EOTC as spiritually very strong - Roman Catholic priests search guidance and Divine grace in an Ethiopian monastery.

Are you sure Archbishop Yesehaq was in the movie . . .
Yes, I am sure of that. Smiley
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2009, 12:38:22 PM »

I've never seen the movie either, but I'll go out on a limb here and guess that they did. 

They did, big time.  The plot of the movie is that this Teilhard de Chardin like priest sees the real meaning of Christianity as uniting all beings in some sort of mystical communion.  They go out seeking mysticism in Ethiopia but get driven out in what was sort of a stoning.  But, there were some cool shots of the rock monasteries, and who knows, perhaps it will encourage some casual observer to do some serious research. 
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2013, 01:29:44 AM »

i am going to drop a bomb of orthodox films for you all in a little bit

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2013, 02:05:00 AM »

Раскол (Schism) A russian epic of the nikon reforms, many episodes. Sadly I could not find english translations, but you can see it on youtube full. It has very accurate by using historical sources and research into even historically accurate vestments and consulting old believer experts. This cost around 11 million dollars to produce. I really like it, and you can sort of tell what is happening, such as when the Greeks come and show problems they perceive
see the entire thing here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IRmBjfeNCI
when one ends, go to account for this user and find the second part, and the third fourth fifth sixth, ectect

there is also the film:
Царь (tsar)
yes about Ivan the Terrible, but it is mostly about the tsar and the metropolitan. lots of critics of this movie being innacurate, but it is entertaining anyway. might be able to find an english translation of it somewhere

well,
I was thinking to keep linking more movies, but they are probably all without english subtitles and only russian. as others said though, that one movie about the fool for christ is good too. anyway, here is a short movie to see about St. Gregory PAlamas, basically hagiography but in video form. this is greek, BUT HAS ENGLISH SUBTITLES!

http://www.impantokratoros.gr/E5D92426.en.aspx

click the one with the icon of St. Gregory Palamas.

You can also see there, a video about St Luke of Simferopol and Crimea, you can also watch that there with english subtitiles, but I would recommend watching it on youtube here since you can move around the time if you miss something:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6df3p_3q_LY

and here also same page you can see a tribute to Elder Porphyrios in english translation:

http://www.impantokratoros.gr/E5D92426.en.aspx

now, also here is a more modern documentary on St. John of Kronstadt and speaking to people who knew people who knew him, and family members.

part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMsZ4JAqc9Q
2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvJ2pytF6xE
3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d4gc-elUkg
4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2rVm6goTkY

that is all for now i am tired of looking all over!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 02:05:48 AM by Gunnarr » Logged

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2013, 12:01:19 PM »

The Brethren - documentary on Trifonov Pechengsky monastery
http://youtu.be/R5apoJAsImg

Pskov Caves monastery documentary
part1 - http://youtu.be/ySj8Mw1BkqU
part2 - http://youtu.be/WrKCPY181CY

From the Little Mountain - Holy Cross Hermitage documentary
http://youtu.be/ooZiPrSm8sI

Meditations on Monasticism (trailer) - documentary on St. John of San Francisco Monastery
http://seefilms.tumblr.com/

Orthodox in Dixie - About ROCOR in South Carolina
http://youtu.be/lb6ZLx0qPNY

One Day in the Life of a Men's Monastery - monastery in Abkhazia (no subtitles; not needed)
http://youtu.be/rxZqfd-0smM

CarolS

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2014, 05:27:01 PM »

Just saw this movie last week at Church. We have an Orthodox themed
movie with a Lenten meal after the Pre-Sanctified Liturgy on Friday evenings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyV2P27EGZ0

It's about  Orthodox Monastery in Ukraine near the Romanian border where they
have an orphanage for about 200 kids, most of them with severe disabilities.
A marvelous example of people who truly live the Faith.

*with English subtitles*
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2014, 11:40:48 PM »

I just watched "The Horde" on Netflix which is about Metropolitan Alexei's healing of the Tartar queen.  Takes a while to get into, but it was worth it. 

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Tags: movies Ostrov 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: