Author Topic: Jordanville Psalter vs Boston Psalter  (Read 1106 times)

Offline Luka

• Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Constantinople
Jordanville Psalter vs Boston Psalter
« on: June 07, 2016, 06:02:27 PM »
I am considering buying an English translation of the Psalter for reading and prayer and I have selected two candidates, but I have difficulty with deciding in favor of one or the other. Especially that Jordanville Psalter (A Psalter for Prayer) has just been published in pocket edition (though the question of quality of this pocket edition arises, too). I've read reviews of both of them, but it's hard to contrast them based on that. Has anyone of you experience in using both of the Psalters and can share his opinion? I will probably eventually buy the other one of them, but now I can afford just one. I'd be grateful for any insights.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Abp Yeznik Petrosian Defender of the Faith
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: East
Re: Jordanville Psalter vs Boston Psalter
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 06:09:40 PM »
I'd recommend the Jordanville Psalter.
Quote from: Fr Alexander Schmemann
The Gospel is quite clear: both saints and sinners love God. "Religious" people do not love him, and whenever they can, they crucify him.

Of course, OC.net is not reflective of the Church, but is rather a surreal bubble. I have visited a lot of different parishes around the world and have listened to many hours of AFR...

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 06:22:15 PM »
I'd recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr. Seraphim Rose.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Is that what they teach you at the temple volnutt-stein?

Actually, it's Volnutt-berg.

Rome doesn't care. Rome is actually very cool guy.

Offline FormerReformer

• Convertodox of the convertodox
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
    • Music and Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Convertodox
  • Jurisdiction: Netodoxy
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 06:49:38 PM »
I've used both. The Boston Psalter I will pretty much use only if I have absolutely no other version of the psalms available. I use the Jordanville Psalter for my home use, though I have the original large, choir stand sized one, so it isn't really portable if I happen to be traveling (for that, I have the Kindle version).

The Boston Psalter has a very clunky translation - it reads almost as bad as Stan Lee's faux-Elizabethan dialogue for the Thor comics. About the only use for it is to giggle over "butter mountain". That and it's a decent travel size, I guess.

The Jordanville has a much better flow. It also has supplementary material such as reflections on and instructions for read the Psalms, and prayers after each Kathisma.
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!

Offline Iconodule

• Professor of Cryptopatristics at Miskatonic University
  • Merarches
  • Monsters from the Id
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 07:20:57 PM »
i prefer the Jordanville too. The pocket edition has a sewn binding, so it can't be that bad.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 07:22:07 PM by Iconodule »
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Offline CarolS

• Lurker Extraordinaire
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 07:38:56 PM »
I've gotten used to the "Boston Psalter" after hearing it at Church for the past 34 years, though I remember finding it awkward when I first heard it, after growing up with the King James Bible and RSV.

I suggest you use whatever translation is closest to what is regularly used at your Church, and/or is in your prayer book. If the Psalms at your parish are read from the "Boston Psalter", why not stick with that, so that the psalms can fix in your memory. I find dealing with variant translations of the same text very annoying. 

Folks who grew up in the Anglican tradition, might find the "Jordanville" Psalter more familiar, since it was derived from the Coverdale Psalter.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of the South
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 03:44:28 AM »
I use the Jordanville one at home and like it a lot.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Archon
  • St. Arsenios of "Saint-Producing" Cappadocia
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 04:33:22 AM »
Many people disagree, but I personally like the Boston Psalter translation. I handled the new pocket Jordanville Psalter and the binding, printing, and ease of use of the Boston Psalter is definitely better. The Jordanville is exceptionally small though--literally pocket-sized--though very "tight." It takes an effort to hold open and I feel you could easily lose your page. Not so with the Boston, which stays open fairly well after light use.

I've interacted with both so if you have any questions I can try to answer.
You sound like a professional who knows what he's talking about.  That's because you are.

"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline Luka

• Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Constantinople
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 11:16:53 AM »
Thanks for all your opinions! So far I would summarize pros and cons in the following way:

Boston Psalter
+ pocket edition
+ well made, durable
+ used in my parish, indeed
- imperfect translation

Jordanville Psalter
+ nice translation
+ lots of additional material
+/- comes in pocket edition (though it may not be as easy to use as Boston Ps.)
- the standard edition is quite big

Antonis, could you elaborate a bit on why you like the Boston Psalter translation? And how would you compare the binding and printing of the Boston Psalter and the standard Jordanville one? Is the standard edition heavy or uncomfortably big?

Offline Bryan Paul

• Formerly known as "BryanS"
  • Elder
  • Chrismated: 2015-08-30
    • The Visible Narrator
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 11:27:55 AM »
Does anyone have links on where to purchase these?
I have always found the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom to be so much more moving in the original Ukrainian.

Offline Iconodule

• Professor of Cryptopatristics at Miskatonic University
  • Merarches
  • Monsters from the Id
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 11:36:19 AM »
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Offline Bryan Paul

• Formerly known as "BryanS"
  • Elder
  • Chrismated: 2015-08-30
    • The Visible Narrator
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA
I have always found the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom to be so much more moving in the original Ukrainian.