OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 11:38:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Demetri Martin's New Show: A Seriously "Important Thing"  (Read 807 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: February 05, 2009, 03:05:54 PM »

A one-time high school student council president and the son of a Greek Orthodox priest, New Jersey native Martin grew up comfortable in front of people.

"I don't need all the attention, but once I'm up there, I like it," he says. But he hastens to add that the main part of his job (and the part he savors) isn't telling jokes for an audience, but recognizing comedy as it unfolds before him in real life, then puzzling out how it might be reconfigured for his audience.

No one would dispute the importance of things like Power, Safety or Chairs. But to build a half-hour of comedy around any of them _ that's a whole other thing.

All the more reason for Demetri Martin to be doing it. As he proves anew in "Important Things With Demetri Martin," this important rising comic has a gift for the shrewd but daydreamy. His material tingles with random micro-truths, each observation a dotty shared discovery with his audience.

He's a guy who saw a sign on a door that said: THIS DOOR MUST REMAIN CLOSED AT ALL TIMES. "And I was like, 'Dude! You're thinking of a WALL!'"

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 03:17:21 PM »

Is this intended as a "Hot/controversial/debate-intended topics not dealing with religion?"

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 05:06:38 PM »

Is this intended as a "Hot/controversial/debate-intended topics not dealing with religion?"

Well, his father is a Greek Orthodox priest in New Jersey. Perhaps someone here knows the family?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 05:11:53 PM »

Moved to Other Topics as this is apparently not a debate-oriented thread, which is the purpose of Free-for-All.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 07:15:44 PM »

With a name like Demitri, I was wondering if he might be. I may have to check out his show.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 10:56:48 AM »

He's also going to be interviewed this afternoon on "Fresh Air" on NPR. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: